Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

Whoever takes Smart, it's their funeral. The guy was looking good coming into the NBA but he has not improved on anything since coming. Either he's not motivated, or just plain doesn't care since he got paid?
It's their funeral, when they take one of the best defensive guards in the NBA? With all due respect, but I don't really understand how you come to this conclusion.
Marcus Smart is no star. Maybe you expect that from a lottery pick. But he is a decent playmaker, a great defender and most of all he is absolutely tenacious out on the floor (and a great actor btw. :rolleyes:).
I understand, that shooting is what makes and breaks NBA careers nowadays and Smart is really lacking in that departement. But from my point of view shooting is only one part of the game and Smart does so many little things so well, that he is a positive asset on the floor despite his shooting (btw. he shot 39% from 3 in this years playoffs, so maybe there is still hope he will improve to a point, where he isn't a liability when left open).
Besides his shooting the main criticism of Smart would be his lack of explosiveness, which limits his ability to finish above the rim. That's something, that will always be a weakness (when compared to the freak athletes playing his position), no matter the work he puts in. But like with Zbo or Boogie the lack of explosiveness comes with a sturdy body, that gives him some advantages in other areas. I can't name another guy around 6'4, that can defend bigger guys as well as Marcus Smart. He can easily play SF if necessary or switch on PF's without requiring a double team. That's a pretty valuable skill in todays league, where switching is very common and to be able to play multiple positions is key, when not a star.
But most of all Smart hustles his tail off. Celtics fans and the announcers often enough call him "Mr winning play". That's not without reason. So while Smart may be a flawed player, when you value shooting over everything else, I think lack of motivation or not caring enough is not a valid criticism in his case.

I honestly feel like Ainge is making a mistake this offseason. Bradley, Crowder and Smart formed the Celtics identity. IT was the main scorer, but those guys were the backbone of the team. Trading one or two of them to create space for Hayward, who is a good player, may backfire when it comes to team chemistry and team identity.

It's their funeral, when they take one of the best defensive guards in the NBA? With all due respect, but I don't really understand how you come to this conclusion.
Marcus Smart is no star. Maybe you expect that from a lottery pick. But he is a decent playmaker, a great defender and most of all he is absolutely tenacious out on the floor (and a great actor btw. :rolleyes:).
I understand, that shooting is what makes and breaks NBA careers nowadays and Smart is really lacking in that departement. But from my point of view shooting is only one part of the game and Smart does so many little things so well, that he is a positive asset on the floor despite his shooting (btw. he shot 39% from 3 in this years playoffs, so maybe there is still hope he will improve to a point, where he isn't a liability when left open).
Besides his shooting the main criticism of Smart would be his lack of explosiveness, which limits his ability to finish above the rim. That's something, that will always be a weakness (when compared to the freak athletes playing his position), no matter the work he puts in. But like with Zbo or Boogie the lack of explosiveness comes with a sturdy body, that gives him some advantages in other areas. I can't name another guy around 6'4, that can defend bigger guys as well as Marcus Smart. He can easily play SF if necessary or switch on PF's without requiring a double team. That's a pretty valuable skill in todays league, where switching is very common and to be able to play multiple positions is key, when not a star.
But most of all Smart hustles his tail off. Celtics fans and the announcers often enough call him "Mr winning play". That's not without reason. So while Smart may be a flawed player, when you value shooting over everything else, I think lack of motivation or not caring enough is not a valid criticism in his case.

I honestly feel like Ainge is making a mistake this offseason. Bradley, Crowder and Smart formed the Celtics identity. IT was the main scorer, but those guys were the backbone of the team. Trading one or two of them to create space for Hayward, who is a good player, may backfire when it comes to team chemistry and team identity.
And to add to this he's only due 5M before he becomes a RFA. If anything the funeral talk should be reserved for the Pacers who locked into Oladipo for 4 /84.

Whoever takes Smart, it's their funeral. The guy was looking good coming into the NBA but he has not improved on anything since coming. Either he's not motivated, or just plain doesn't care since he got paid?
Its neither, imo. He's just not as talented as many thought he would be when he was drafted by Ainge. I didn't like him then, and I don't like him as a player now.

McGee is a perfect example, how a negative repute can more or less negatively affect a career, once it has become common sense. Honestly the dude is not that bad of a player. He was good in a limited role for the Warriors.
Of course he isn't Shaq, but he is a serviceable backup center. But because he is the Shaqtin All-Star most fan bases wouldn't touch him with a stick and I would think, that even some GM's are affected by the overall negative perception of McGee.
Shaq at some point really did the young man wrong. It was fun at first, but it's a fine line between making a few harmless jokes and targeting one guy and hurting his career.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Bradley and Smart are both FAs after this season. The Celtics won't be able to pay them both and IT.

Crowder is on a sweetheart deal and even though the Celtics are now overloaded with wings, it makes no sense to trade him unless it is for a future first likely to be in the top half of the draft.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look at the national media fall all over itself praising this guy.

When the Kings signed Bogdan all we heard was "Kings sign Euro"

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account@wojespn 9m9 minutes ago
More
Adrian Wojnarowski Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski

Teodosic is one of most exciting playmakers in world and basketball junkies have long awaited his move to the NBA.

Bogdan > Teodosic
When all is said and done I expect Bogdanovic to have a better NBA career (and longer just based on the 6 year age difference) but Teodosic is just flat out fun to watch. You have to tailor your offense around him to an extent and he won't guard a chair, but he makes exciting plays.

Bradley and Smart are both FAs after this season. The Celtics won't be able to pay them both and IT.

Crowder is on a sweetheart deal and even though the Celtics are now overloaded with wings, it makes no sense to trade him unless it is for a future first likely to be in the top half of the draft.
True. Balancing all these assets is a tough task. It just looked like the Celtics bonded on a really good level as a team. Guys were working hard and they overachieved. From the talent standpoint Hayward may be a step forward, but trading one or two of their on the court leaders might hurt the team nonetheless. Still haven't fixed their rebounding issue btw.

Trading Crowder makes sense, because he seemed absolutely unwilling to take the backseat. He was already upset, when the Celtics were rumored to look for a new SF. Now they got Hayward, who isn't that far ahead of Crowder (better shot creator for sure).
I doubt Crowder would be happy to give his minutes to the new guy.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
True. Balancing all these assets is a tough task. It just looked like the Celtics bonded on a really good level as a team. Guys were working hard and they overachieved. From the talent standpoint Hayward may be a step forward, but trading one or two of their on the court leaders might hurt the team nonetheless. Still haven't fixed their rebounding issue btw.

Trading Crowder makes sense, because he seemed absolutely unwilling to take the backseat. He was already upset, when the Celtics were rumored to look for a new SF. Now they got Hayward, who isn't that far ahead of Crowder (better shot creator for sure).
I doubt Crowder would be happy to give his minutes to the new guy.
I think the Celtics would trade Crowder, but they'll expect more in return than they would for Bradley or Smart just because of the difference in contract status. So it may be that Smart is the easiest one to move.

I think the Celtics would trade Crowder, but they'll expect more in return than they would for Bradley or Smart just because of the difference in contract status. So it may be that Smart is the easiest one to move.
Maybe. Knicks were rumored to be interested in Smart. Would be a interesting backcourt with him and Frank Ntilikina. About time the Knicks get back to a likeable team. Hope they get rid of Melo. In this case I might tune in for a few games to see, if they finally are back to the blue collar mentality of the 90's. Unlikely with Dolan and his neverending meddling though.

Maybe. Knicks were rumored to be interested in Smart. Would be a interesting backcourt with him and Frank Ntilikina. About time the Knicks get back to a likeable team. Hope they get rid of Melo. In this case I might tune in for a few games to see, if they finally are back to the blue collar mentality of the 90's. Unlikely with Dolan and his neverending meddling though.
The Knicks last won a championship back in 1973. Not many teams have won championships since then as a handful of teams have dominated, still I find that interesting. Its New York and Madison Square Garden.
Is it Dolan or do they lack luck altogether. Except for the frozen envelop seems like the lottery never falls their way.

Why would the Celtics give away Crowder on that sweetheart deal and one of the best defenders they have to put on LeBron? They were asking for a late lottery pick and player before the draft. I don't see them giving Crowder to the Jazz without getting something significant back. No way, especially knowing how stingy Ainge is.

Rudy Gay to Spurs

Manny Vieites @manny_vieites
1 minute ago
Rudy Gay has agreed to a two-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs for over $17M with a player option per source.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
2 minutes ago
Sources: Rudy Gay's deal with the Spurs: two-years, $17M-plus with a player option.

Paul Garcia @PaulGarciaNBA
1 minute ago
The Spurs will be operating over the cap, looks like Gay is getting the $8.4 MLE.
Congrats to Rudy! I will always root for him especially coming back from brutal injury. Though he opted out of 15M for one year to settle for 17M over two years, going to the Spurs will be much needed fresh start for him with great organization.

Rudy Gay to Spurs

Manny Vieites @manny_vieites
1 minute ago
Rudy Gay has agreed to a two-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs for over $17M with a player option per source.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
2 minutes ago
Sources: Rudy Gay's deal with the Spurs: two-years, $17M-plus with a player option.

Paul Garcia @PaulGarciaNBA
1 minute ago
The Spurs will be operating over the cap, looks like Gay is getting the $8.4 MLE.
Ouch. Gay gave up nearly 6 million next year by opting out of his contract.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account@wojespn
Following
More
Free agent Vince Carter has agreed to a one-year, $8M deal with Sacramento, agents Kurt Schoeppler and Jim Tanner tell ESPN.
I welcome this news 1. beceause you can't ask for a better vet to mentor our kids and heck in big games the guy can still give you serious game. Also 2. this should preclude any Javal Mcgee nonesense.

Why would the Celtics give away Crowder on that sweetheart deal and one of the best defenders they have to put on LeBron? They were asking for a late lottery pick and player before the draft. I don't see them giving Crowder to the Jazz without getting something significant back. No way, especially knowing how stingy Ainge is.
Hayward is the significant piece