Fox and/or #4 Trade Ideas

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Fox and Sabonis have barely played together and already look like they have outstanding chemistry.
Yeah but since we didn't make the playoffs and traded Baby LeBron and Baby Klay for Sabonis I am told this was another catastrophic failure and we must trade 4 to avoid another Bagles Bungle.

Fox and Sabonis have barely played together and already look like they have outstanding chemistry. Davion Mitchell is spending the whole summer in the gym working on his jumper. We have a #4 pick and a new coach coming in this year and money for a max FA next summer. That seems like a pretty good path to being good already if you ask me. I hope we don't make any trades unless someone (DET, IND, POR or NOP) is so desperate to move up a couple of spots that they'll give us a top 8 pick this year and either an additional first round pick or a starting caliber player.

If the pick is Ivey, give the Fox/Ivey backcourt a chance to work before selling low on a top 25 player who isn't even 25 years old yet. If the pick is anyone else, we won't even know what type of player would compliment them until we see them play for a season. All sorts of brilliant plans are made on paper on draft day that amount to nothing. We're so close to being relevant, I would hate to see us cut that progression off at the knees in a misguided attempt to chase a one year championship (in Sacramento Kings terms that would mean making the playoffs). It will happen when it's supposed to happen if we just trust the people we've already invested in.
This is perfect, thank you.

I think you'd get Grimes or the 2023 1st. Both is a "little" rich for the Knicks, but would obviously be an incredible haul.
Not sure if I'd even want RJ Barrett. 3 years in the league and he's still incredibly inefficient with poor metrics. He has talent but hasn't put it together yet. Could potentially turn into an albatross type deal where his counting stats ramp up his price while he produces like a low level starter.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not sure if I'd even want RJ Barrett. 3 years in the league and he's still incredibly inefficient with poor metrics. He has talent but hasn't put it together yet. Could potentially turn into an albatross type deal where his counting stats ramp up his price while he produces like a low level starter.
In fairness to RJ, Tom Thibodeau’s system just seems to kill the efficiency of any player in the league not named Derrick Rose.

Fox and Sabonis have barely played together and already look like they have outstanding chemistry. Davion Mitchell is spending the whole summer in the gym working on his jumper. We have a #4 pick and a new coach coming in this year and money for a max FA next summer. That seems like a pretty good path to being good already if you ask me. I hope we don't make any trades unless someone (DET, IND, POR or NOP) is so desperate to move up a couple of spots that they'll give us a top 8 pick this year and either an additional first round pick or a starting caliber player.

If the pick is Ivey, give the Fox/Ivey backcourt a chance to work before selling low on a top 25 player who isn't even 25 years old yet. If the pick is anyone else, we won't even know what type of player would compliment them until we see them play for a season. All sorts of brilliant plans are made on paper on draft day that amount to nothing. We're so close to being relevant, I would hate to see us cut that progression off at the knees in a misguided attempt to chase a one year championship (in Sacramento Kings terms that would mean making the playoffs). It will happen when it's supposed to happen if we just trust the people we've already invested in.
That chemistry that you saw, it disappeared once opponents adjusted to their inability to score consistently outside of the paint. As confirmed by their record together.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Knicks fans on RealGM want Randle plus #11 for #4. The Kings should obviously say no.
They all have a ton of buyer's remorse on Randle so of course they want this deal. We'd have to send expirings or *gulp* useful players to make the numbers work. Kind of feel like once you do that, the higher pick needs to come back to us.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Knicks fans on RealGM want Randle plus #11 for #4. The Kings should obviously say no.
The only way I even consider acquiring Randle as part of a trade down is if the Knicks are including at least two of Quickley/Grimes/Reddish/McBride and at least one future first. That contract is brutal and we already acquired an all-star big who does everything Randle does better than him aside from shoot.

MAYBE if we could absorb Randle without having to give anything useful? You could squint and see Randle as a FA signing we'd never have an opportunity to sign. But in order to match contracts, we'd have to literally give all our expirings (Davis, Len, Holiday, Harkless) or include one of Holmes or Barnes to make the money work.

So we'd give up all our optionality over the next year (perhaps trading the expirings for some value, just using the cap flexibility) to lock in Randle lock-term WHILE giving up the higher pick. Seems horrible for us lol

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Maybe Randle pre Sabonis trade but not anymore.
Of course then they are taking on Buddy.
I really don't think some of the Monte haters appreciate how much bad salary he has shed without costing us anything other than Haliburton for Sabonis (that swap alone needs to marinate before a victor can be declared).

MAYBE if we could absorb Randle without having to give anything useful? You could squint and see Randle as a FA signing we'd never have an opportunity to sign. But in order to match contracts, we'd have to literally give all our expirings (Davis, Len, Holiday, Harkless) or include one of Holmes or Barnes to make the money work.

So we'd give up all our optionality over the next year (perhaps trading the expirings for some value, just using the cap flexibility) to lock in Randle lock-term WHILE giving up the higher pick. Seems horrible for us lol
Randle has value, but his contract torpedoes everything. Certainly doesn't bridge the gap between 4 and 11.

Lets say the Kings can get some really good pieces for Sabonis would you pull the trigger on that deal (Randle #11 for #4)? Yeah Sabonis is better than Randle but lets say you can get a allstar wing/big starting SG (Lavine sign and trade)/high pick or a combo of some of these for Sabonis do you do it?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Lets say the Kings can get some really good pieces for Sabonis would you pull the trigger on that deal (Randle #11 for #4)? Yeah Sabonis is better than Randle but lets say you can get a allstar wing/big starting SG (Lavine sign and trade)/high pick or a combo of some of these for Sabonis do you do it?
While obviously some opportunities come up that you must evaluate like pulling a top 4 pick when you are anti-tank; I'd like to think acquisitions like DDV and Sabonis are part of a long term vision that Monte had and that you wouldn't just do a 180 and swab Sabonis for Randle to have a crack at other maybes. I think picking the best player according to your metrics and making a move if needed after is going to play out better if there is still a singular roster/coaching/management plan.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Sacramento Kings, laughingstock of the league, trade their budding star PG to get an All-Star big man, only to trade the All-Star big man a few months later? I'm sure that the optics on that would be FANTASTIC.

Also, do we really think that Monte is going to trade for Sabonis, and without having a contract extension, trade Sabonis away for something else while trading down to get Randle? I can't even fathom how poorly that would go over. In the metaphor of the day, Monte has begun to steer the ship away from the reef, now he's going to switch course???

Bottom line, with Sabonis on board, Randle is nowhere near a sensible acquisition. And we're not dumping Sabonis this offseason.

The Sacramento Kings, laughingstock of the league, trade their budding star PG to get an All-Star big man, only to trade the All-Star big man a few months later? I'm sure that the optics on that would be FANTASTIC.

Also, do we really think that Monte is going to trade for Sabonis, and without having a contract extension, trade Sabonis away for something else while trading down to get Randle? I can't even fathom how poorly that would go over. In the metaphor of the day, Monte has begun to steer the ship away from the reef, now he's going to switch course???

Bottom line, with Sabonis on board, Randle is nowhere near a sensible acquisition. And we're not dumping Sabonis this offseason.
Who cares about optics, Sabonis is a good player but he's not some untouchable piece nor is Fox, end of the day it's about getting better if you can get a massive upgrade at SF/SG while a limited downgrade at PF I think you take it. Again just an idea not saying the Kings should do it. The optics of the Warriors trading Monte Ellis were very poor also if I remember.....

That chemistry that you saw, it disappeared once opponents adjusted to their inability to score consistently outside of the paint. As confirmed by their record together.
Must have missed that one. I saw some pretty good pick and roll for Fox that helped him bust out back to near 30's in scoring and even some nice backdoor cuts by Fox. They also appeared to get along pretty well on the floor. You can build on those things, record? Eh, so many factors there and even with chemistry that record might not change, we'll see.

Maybe Randle pre Sabonis trade but not anymore.
Randle and Sabonis could be the answer to this small ball stuff. They could destroy teams with physical play. However, someone like Jaden Ivey could be the answer of how to go beyond them all athletically. Keep the pick, the value just isn't there at 4.

I think they'd be solid offensively but probably just as bad defensively. The Kings need two way players bad.
Yeah, I think the best bet in that scenario would be to do what they should have done with Cuz, run a clock control offense that limits offensive possessions and wears out the other team in the post. I mean, if the Kings run drop coverage next season, it doesn't matter who they bring in, they'll be less than on defense. If they have to run drop because they don't have the versatility and Domas can't switch then they probably have to focus on the offensive end anyway. Look at the finals for no better an answer. Udoka ran his counterpunch defense trying to run drop at the start and once he switched to playing up and aggressive on pick and roll bye, bye goes Curry.

Yeah, I think the best bet in that scenario would be to do what they should have done with Cuz, run a clock control offense that limits offensive possessions and wears out the other team in the post. I mean, if the Kings run drop coverage next season, it doesn't matter who they bring in, they'll be less than on defense. If they have to run drop because they don't have the versatility and Domas can't switch then they probably have to focus on the offensive end anyway. Look at the finals for no better an answer. Udoka ran his counterpunch defense trying to run drop at the start and once he switched to playing up and aggressive on pick and roll bye, bye goes Curry.
Yep, hopefully Brown realizes that what works for GS won't necessarily work here. All I really want out of him is to get the best performance possible from the roster. If the talent isn't there, that's not his fault. If he thinks that one of our players can play the role of Draymond, then we're doomed from the start.

One of the reasons why I'm warming up a bit to Murray. I feel like if you have Ivey and Murray close in your BPA rankings, then go with Murray since he checks a whole bunch of boxes with one pick. Ivey checks the scoring box and that is really it. An alpha scorer is always needed but redundant players with your best player in Sabonis having one foot out the door if the team doesn't succeed is not the safest way to go about building a future playoff team.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
You'll be happy to know that since the rule that a team that trades away a player can't reacquire him until after the season rolls over after the last game of the Finals, this trade would actually be legal.
I didn't know this was a rule.

If there are no shenanigans or special exceptions used is that still true? I assume rule exists because a team threw a player in to match salaries, was waived, and then re-signed with his old team on a minimum?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I didn't know this was a rule.

If there are no shenanigans or special exceptions used is that still true? I assume rule exists because a team threw a player in to match salaries, was waived, and then re-signed with his old team on a minimum?
I think it's just to prevent shenanigans in general. Trade a guy away, can't have him back under any circumstances until next season.