draft night scenarios.

If Rubio is off the board at #4 how would you feel if the Kings draft Stephen Curry/Jennings with the #4 and then select Jeff Teague with the #23?

In my opinion this would be a good draft night scenario for the Kings if Rubio is not an option.

Another intresting turn of events is if Harden is on the board at #4 and its no secret NJ has been shopping Harris they may be able to get him cheaper than they thought.;)

Any thoughts?

If Rubio is off the board at #4 how would you feel if the Kings draft Stephen Curry/Jennings with the #4 and then select Jeff Teague with the #23?

That right there is the dream scenerio my freind......and if we got Derrick Brown ummm does anyone know that Lonley Island song not site freindly so youtube it, it should be the first one lol. ;)

I'd personally prefer if Rubio is off the board a Flynn/Harden with the #4, then BPA @ #23 (Sam Young, Omri Casspi(spelling?), or even hope an Earl Clarke falls as unlikely as it is). Let's just say I wouldn't mind GP trying to package #23 and #31 to be aggressive trying to go after Earl Clarke if it feels like he'll be taken in the teens somewhere.

i would be really upset if geoff petrie remains passive and just picks and goes home..

i want to see aggressive moves. i want to see the management take much action in the hope of giving life back to the fanbase...

no, but we can pick up a pg in the free agency why pass up a prospect at the SF and draft another pg?

PG free agent list from the top of my head...

Steve Nash
J-kidd
Andre Miller
Mike Bibby
Ramon Sessions
Stephon Marbury
Tyron Lue
Ronnie Price

So besides Sessions and maybe Price who would you sign to get the rebuild going? Im not bashing you its just the reality of the situation. To get a solid pg its going to be threw the draft and or trades.

im a firm believer that you take the best player available, doesn't make much sense in a short-term perspective but do we look at players who got passed on cuz they weren't a position need --- Kobe, Jordon....etc...

I think thats the 4 best players in the draft are clearly better than 5-10

Griffin
Rubio
Harden
Thabeeth

My idea is that the squad needs a 1 guard really bad and we should not put so much stock in one player be it rubio or anyone else, players are always tradeable and there is nothing wrong with having two young points.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Never, never a Jennings. at any draft #. He is another Iverson, all for himself. In latest ESPN Mock Jennings is all the way down to #12 behind all other top 4-5 PG's.

If no Rubio then Evans/Flynn. Curry is a 2 guard/scorer. Even tho' he had good assists, his position is the 2, same as Kevin. Could he be the PG Kings need? Good question. I'm leary tho' as he is more a scorer but.........in GP we trust?

However, Chad Ford at ESPN had this to say about Evans (left me whimpering) back on 3 June after the skills test the NBA put everyone through:

• Memphis' Tyreke Evans didn't really help himself, either. His vertical jump score was decent, but his lane-agility test was just awful for someone who's supposed to be a point guard in the pros. As his sprint score shows, he's great going north and south. But when he has to move side-to-side? Ugh. Of course, Derrick Rose's score of 11.69 last year wasn't much better, and he turned out OK.

Thabeet is very one-dimensional and not a good fit. Harden's stock is dropping, but not as much as DeRozan

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never, never a Jennings. at any draft #. He is another Iverson, all for himself. In latest ESPN Mock Jennings is all the way down to #12 behind all other top 4-5 PG's.

If no Rubio then Evans/Flynn. Curry is a 2 guard/scorer. Even tho' he had good assists, his position is the 2, same as Kevin. Could he be the PG Kings need? Good question. I'm leary tho' as he is more a scorer but.........in GP we trust?

However, Chad Ford at ESPN had this to say about Evans (left me whimpering) back on 3 June after the skills test the NBA put everyone through:

• Memphis' Tyreke Evans didn't really help himself, either. His vertical jump score was decent, but his lane-agility test was just awful for someone who's supposed to be a point guard in the pros. As his sprint score shows, he's great going north and south. But when he has to move side-to-side? Ugh. Of course, Derrick Rose's score of 11.69 last year wasn't much better, and he turned out OK.

Thabeet is very one-dimensional and not a good fit. Harden's stock is dropping, but not as much as DeRozan
I agree with most of your points. I don't want to gamble on Jennings "getting it" which I don't think he does at all right now. I'm also against Curry as the pick. I'm not sure Harden's stock is slipping, but I'm not a fan anyway. I think he'll be a nice roleplayer in the NBA but not a great player. Why people on this board would consider trading Martin for a chance to draft him I'll never know. And while his combine scores surprised me a bit in terms of his vert and quickness, the fact is still that he plays slow.

I'm not a fan of Evans (at least not for the Kings), but I don't see his agility test mattering much. He's 6'5" in shoes. That makes up for a lot when guarding guys that are four or five inches shorter.

Personally I'm hoping for Rubio or Flynn with the idea that Thabeet must at least be considered if he's there when the Kings pick. If they stay at #4 I'm going to be skeptical if they come away with someone other than one of those three.

]This is my first post, people, so go easy!! O.K.?

If Griffin, Thabeet and Rubio are gone & can't trade for Rubio:

Trade 4 + 23 + 31 to Minnesota for 6 + 18 + 28 + 45 + 47
Draft:
6 - Evans or Flynn
18 - Mullins, Clark, Daye, Holiday, or Young
28 - Omri Casspi, Summers, Collison, Gibson or Mills
45 - Alade Aminu
47 - Slava Kravtsov

Minnesota gets their pick at 4, and Kings get 6th, 18th & 28 (basically in exchange for 4, 23 & 31) plus the 2 mid-second round picks for 31.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
First, welcome to the board! Always glad to have someone new join in the fun...

About your proposal? I have to admit it's unique...and interesting.

:)

Trade Kevin Martin for #2 + filler

Pick Rubio at #2

Draft James Harden at #4

I love Martin for the Kings, but Harden will be a more complete player.
why r there so many trade kevin posts now? he's a good young player and I don't really think we should trade him for an unknown. some people point out his flaws, but not everyone can be lebron or kobe...who have some flaws also. it feels like when everyone was dumping on adelman thinking we could do better. well the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

]This is my first post, people, so go easy!! O.K.?

If Griffin, Thabeet and Rubio are gone & can't trade for Rubio:

Trade 4 + 23 + 31 to Minnesota for 6 + 18 + 28 + 45 + 47
Draft:
6 - Evans or Flynn
18 - Mullins, Clark, Daye, Holiday, or Young
28 - Omri Casspi, Summers, Collison, Gibson or Mills
45 - Alade Aminu
47 - Slava Kravtsov

Minnesota gets their pick at 4, and Kings get 6th, 18th & 28 (basically in exchange for 4, 23 & 31) plus the 2 mid-second round picks for 31.
Just like VF21 said, unique and interesting.....but why not? If Rubio is gone then I think that this would be nice.

I have a question since I am a newb to Drafts.

If the Kings decided to trade up with Memphis to get Rubio, when would it be announced that a trade is taking place?

• When Stern announces the Grizzlies pick?
    • If so will they say that the Grizzlies have picked Rubio with the number 2 pick and are trading this pick with Sacramento.
    • or would they say at that point that the Grizzlies are changing spots with Sacramento and Sacramento has chosen Rubio.
  • When Stern announces the Kings pick he says that they Kings are making the trade with Grizzlies?
Hope that makes sense, I am having a draft party at my house and would like to be somewhat informed in case these events take place.

If the Kings decided to trade up with Memphis to get Rubio, when would it be announced that a trade is taking place?

• If so will they say that the Grizzlies have picked Rubio with the number 2 pick and are trading this pick with Sacramento.
    • or would they say at that point that the Grizzlies are changing spots with Sacramento and Sacramento has chosen Rubio.
  • When Stern announces the Kings pick he says that they Kings are making the trade with Grizzlies?
Hope that makes sense, I am having a draft party at my house and would like to be somewhat informed in case these events take place.

Usually they will wait until after the lower pick team has picked also. Then you will see ESPN or whichever network report a BREAKING NEWS that such trade has occur.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Normally they are not announced until after the second pick, and sometimes not even immediately -- a team might swa #3 for #5 and it might not be announced until after the 10th pick or somesuch. All of which makes for some confusing and frustrating moments as you wonder what the heck such and such team drafted such and such player for, wihtout knowing that it was done as part of a trade. Also frustrates in the other direction while you wait to hear that mayube your team has made a trade, but they never make it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

A lot of the time, trades are announced several picks AFTER the later pick is selected. Oftentimes you'll be at, for example, pick #15 and Stern will come to the microphone to announce a trade involving the #6 and 7 picks.

The point is, if Rubio goes #2 or #3, you can't really assume he won't be traded (to us or somebody else) for quite a while. How long, I don't know. I'd say if an hour passes after our #4 pick and there hasn't been a trade announcement we're sticking with them. But I'll still be reading Amick/Voisin after draft night goes down to see if there's anything in the works.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of the time, trades are announced several picks AFTER the later pick is selected. Oftentimes you'll be at, for example, pick #15 and Stern will come to the microphone to announce a trade involving the #6 and 7 picks.
I'd actually say ALL the time. First of all, the trade isn't finalized until the second team gets the guy they are targeting, and secondly if a trade were announced before the second player was picked, the team above them could draft (or just threaten to draft) who they were targeting and have some leverage over both teams involved.