Don't trade so fast

The Kings have had lots of high draft picks that they have not benefited from at all.

Whiteside is the latest ex-King to turn into a quality player. It takes time in the NBA. Twenty year old kids can't step into the starting line-up and lead teams to victory.

Recently I have noticed a lot of ex-King players making some serious contributions in box scores across the country. A few that come to mind: Brooks, MaM, Evans, Whiteside, Vasquez, Patterson, and Dorsey. With Howard out, the Rockets have been starting Dorsey and doing okay.

The Kings need to slow down the revolving door of players, get a decent coach and learn some patience.

Patience has been preached by good coaches since the beginning of the sport. Even my high school coach preached it. John Wooden said "be quick but don't hurry." The Kings need a lot more patience in developing young players.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
I think Whiteside had to get bounced around as a wake-up call before he "got it". For most of the other players I think it was the Kings that was the problem in player development rather than waiting for the players to develop.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
well considering the Kings have been in dysfunction and unable to develop talent properly...I can see why a lot of the players who left succeeded elsewhere. Until they prove otherwise, I will remain skeptical of the Kings ability to properly develop a young player and groom him into something special or able to contribute to winning.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Huh. I was expecting (hoping?) for something else. I agree with the title of the thread, but not the premise of the OP.

I was hoping that this was going to be a thread to say that we shouldn't rush to trade because, although Napear has become fond of saying that nobody on the team is untradeable, not even Cousins, we shouldn't trade anyone until we know who can't play for Karl the new coach.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Agree with Slim because otherwise he'd kick my as. ;) I also agree with the general theme. We tend to get rid of players quickly without knowing how they will mature. I am hoping Karl can help with a little advice. We'll see.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was hoping that this was going to be a thread to say that we shouldn't rush to trade because, although Napear has become fond of saying that nobody on the team is untradeable, not even Cousins, we shouldn't trade anyone until we know who can't play for Karl the new coach.
Given that the trade deadline is on February 19th and Karl ostensibly would coach his first game on February 20th I don't see how a move gets made unless Karl has already had some input on the roster.

No real reason to shakeup the team unless there's a low risk move for some bench help that doesn't involve trading away another draft pick. We saw what Malone could do with this roster and it was pretty impressive. I think you give Karl the same cast of characters and see what he can do and readjust in the offseason.

I think the Kings have well surpassed their quota of team shakeups already.

Last edited:
Given that the trade deadline is on March 19th and Karl ostensibly would coach his first game on March 20th I don't see how a move gets made unless Karl has already had some input on the roster.

No real reason to shakeup the team unless there's a low risk move for some bench help that doesn't involve trading away another draft pick. We saw what Malone could do with this roster and it was pretty impressive. I think you give Karl the same cast of characters and see what he can do and readjust in the offseason.

I agree, unless there's a move that makes sense for JT

Whiteside had to be bounced out of the country to get his stuff together.

TRobb and Jimmer are still bench players riding a lot of pine.

The Kings have had lots of high draft picks that they have not benefited from at all. Whiteside is the latest ex-King to turn into a quality player. It takes time in the NBA. Twenty year old kids can't step into the starting line-up and lead teams to victory. Recently I have noticed a lot of ex-King players making some serious contributions in box scores across the country. A few that come to mind: Brooks, MaM, Evans, Whiteside, Vasquez, Patterson, and Dorsey. With Howard out, the Rockets have been starting Dorsey and doing okay. The Kings need to slow down the revolving door of players, get a decent coach and learn some patience. Patience has been preached by good coaches since the beginning of the sport. Even my high school coach preached it. John Wooden said "be quick but don't hurry." The Kings need a lot more patience in developing young players.
i

Don't agree with you. Just leave as is and trade to upgrade team. One can always look at former and say what if. Always was and always will be. Meantime, run the team as usual.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Given that the trade deadline is on March 19th and Karl ostensibly would coach his first game on March 20th I don't see how a move gets made unless Karl has already had some input on the roster.

I think you meant February! Just don't want to mislead anyone.

JT would serve the team best in the R. Evans roll but we have the cluster #### at the 4 that has been well documented around here. As for the original topic I believe we should have patience in players like Ray & Nik for example. Admittedly Nik makes me nervous but he could still end up being a player. We didn't get to see much of Moreland but he's also a promising prospect.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'd trade D-Will as fast as possible. There's no excuse for not trading him by the trade deadline.
One excuse: let him go at the end of the season. I can't imagine the use of anyone acquired in trade for him as the year is almost over and we are going nowhere. Give us the cap room of just letting him go.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
One excuse: let him go at the end of the season. I can't imagine the use of anyone acquired in trade for him as the year is almost over and we are going nowhere. Give us the cap room of just letting him go.
The only reason anyone would want D. Will in a trade deadline deal, is as an ender being used as filler. As you said, if that doesn't happen, then just let him walk at seasons end.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The only reason anyone would want D. Will in a trade deadline deal, is as an ender being used as filler. As you said, if that doesn't happen, then just let him walk at seasons end.
I do recall people saying that his ender was sooo valuable and that he had value just because of that. Well, I'm waiting to see how valuable that ender is...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think PDA's response to a team in trouble is to start shuffling bodies. Perhaps sometimes it's better to let player get to know each other.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think PDA's response to a team in trouble is to start shuffling bodies. Perhaps sometimes it's better to let player get to know each other.
In general I agree with you, but regardless of how well players get to know one another, Ryan Hollis will still be a bad backup center, and we still won't have a PF that can either block shots and defend the post, or extend the floor with his shooting ability, or both. So some changes need to be made. However, I wouldn't rush into any deal in hopes that it'll solve the problem. Were going nowhere fast with or without Karl. At least as far as the playoffs. We've won 18 games so far, and we only have 30 games left. If we believe in miracles, and that Karl can find a way to win 50% of our games the rest of the way, our record would still only be 33 and 49. Optimistically, we'll be lucky to match our win/loss record from last season, which would be winning 10 out of the next 30 games.

But hey, who knows. Maybe Karl will find a way to mine some gold out of the residue that's left in the locker room.