Does Sasha Vezenkov Like Candy Corn? Pineapple On Pizza?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh yes. This was actually created by Lebanese immigrants to Mexico in the 1930s - Notice the al pastor pork is cooked like schwarma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor
Netflix's "Taco Chronicles" has a great history of al Pastor. Good series in general.

And since we don't have a "trompo" we've tried a couple methods to make it at home. The best result was from a simple stainless steel spike and base that we could throw in the BBQ and periodically carve slices off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NCQQ2SK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Also if you order crispy bacon gtfo.
I think there’s a fine line between crispy and burnt bacon that the majority of cooks in America absolutely tramples on constantly. Crispy bacon can be good (not on its own, mind you, but as a crunchy/salty element on a bigger better dish). Burnt bacon is literally just giving yourself a side of cancer with your heart attack.

Also, I really really miss American bacon, which is definitely not a thing here in Japan.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think there’s a fine line between crispy and burnt bacon that the majority of cooks in America absolutely tramples on constantly. Crispy bacon can be good (not on its own, mind you, but as a crunchy/salty element on a bigger better dish). Burnt bacon is literally just giving yourself a side of cancer with your heart attack.

Also, I really really miss American bacon, which is definitely not a thing here in Japan.
Do the Japanese eat much pork at all? If so, what do they typically do with the pork belly?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

My wife has Celiac's so I can only use this method when not cooking for her, but coating bacon with flour and lining it on a baking sheet with a grate to throw in the oven is (IMO) the best way to get well cooked and seriously crispy bacon without burning it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Do the Japanese eat much pork at all? If so, what do they typically do with the pork belly?
most pork belly preparations here end up stewed or slow cooked/boiled In something like a kakuni and there’s actually a lot of pork belly used in food here (especially in my moonlighting job as a ramen chef, where we go through like 20 kilos of belly and 60 kilos of pork shoulder a day). it’s just never cured and sliced and cooked like bacon for some reason.

most pork belly preparations here end up stewed or slow cooked/boiled In something like a kakuni and there’s actually a lot of pork belly used in food here (especially in my moonlighting job as a ramen chef, where we go through like 20 kilos of belly and 60 kilos of pork shoulder a day). it’s just never cured and sliced and cooked like bacon for some reason.
I have to imagine there are at least a few American owned burger joints where you live no? I watch a YouTube channel that does Japanese culinary craft stuff and one of them featured an expat doing his own bacon and burgers in Japan. Don’t remember what city it was in but I have to imagine you’d find something like that in Tokyo and they may make their own bacon. Or, convince the owner of your ramen place to cure their own (it’s super easy) one of my favorite ramen bowls I had here was made with a bacon dashi.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Look, pineapple is awesome and if you don't want as much acidity (like my wife, who has troubles with it) check out white pineapple instead.

All About White Kaua'i Pineapple – FruitStand.com

Now, on to pineapple on pizza. Yes, in certain circumstances. Straight up Hawaiian is definitely OK, but throw on regular bacon and/or pepperoni instead of (or with) the ham and it really starts to shine as a combination.

Those of you advocating as burger purists are missing one of the best things about burgers - dressing them up different ways! Like the Captain said the Western or BBQ burger (typically bacon, BBQ sauce, cheese, and onion ring or onion strings) is a fantastic classic. Hawaiian burgers with a pineapple ring and teriyaki sauce are great as well. Also good is throwing on some pastrami and swiss cheese. Heck, go check out the combinations at places like Stoopid Burger, or Yaks on the 5, or Squeeze Inn (cheese skirts!), etc. Lots of good combinations!

This is the biggest reason why In-N-Out is way overrated as a burger joint - not enough variety. They make a "fresh" version of the Big Mac, essentially, with worse fries, and they have hoodwinked a ton of folks into thinking they are great. If you don't like their idea of a burger, then you get nothing. Meh. They are fresher and aren't expensive, but they aren't great by any means. Yes, I said it.

Last edited: