Demarcus Cousins

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Major major props to DMC for keeping his head.
Portland threw everything at DMC. They were def trying to get into his head. They were manhandling him and there were so many spots where DMC could have absolutely lost his head. Where any player could have lost his head......
Maturing in this facit of the personality (temper) is a slow thing but remember many years ago where he kept fouling and fouling and some of us said what a monster he would be if he could stay in the game? He has come a long way.

K

KingsFan80

Screwing up drafts in the past does not mean you can't still use it as another tool to help build a team in the coming years. That's ludicrous.
Cousins is 26 years old, in his prime, the point is if you want to win NOW and take advantage of that then draft isn't a way for a quick fix and if we had not screwed up the past five drafts we would have assets around him, so instead we have to focus on trades and FAs.

Cousins is 26 years old, in his prime, the point is if you want to win NOW and take advantage of that then draft isn't a way for a quick fix and if we had not screwed up the past five drafts we would have assets around him, so instead we have to focus on trades and FAs.
Again, that's not true.

Sometimes the draft produces players that can contribute at a high level very early in their career And you can always trade your drafted player if he's showing promise for a good haul of veteran players that can help you now.

YES -- what can we get for him before his trade value plummets with another sacbee type outburst
I WANT another Sacbee outburst. Bring it on. He will not be domesticated and that is EXACTLY why the fans love him, and why his teammates adore him. He does not attack unless provoked. That reporter smeared his family, so hell yes you go get him. Now, he can learn to be more skillful in his verbal assassinations... but DO NOT EVER BACK DOWN.

The media bullies do not respond to tepid apologies. They will respond to counter punching. Ask Shaq, Barkley, KG, BIRD.... all of them knew how to fight the media in their day.

Only a small group of players in the NBA want to win as bad as Cousins. He has uncommon desire in the same league with Jordan and Barkley.
and he wants to do it with us. To understand the inner workings of his brain, his episodes, you need to understand he absolutely lives his life by the code of of a spartan:

1. Loyalty
2. Family
3. Dedication

He wants to supersede Barkley who will never give boogie a fare shake given his closeness to becoming the greatest basketball player ever from Alabama - the only thing that Barkley currently has to hold on to.

The day we win with boogie i'm sitting court side with a custom tee - boogie dunking on Charles with the caption - Sir Boogie, the best from Bama.

Giving one to boogie for sure.

I do not mean this personally because I do not know you off this board, but that statement is ludicrous. I'm not sure whose consensus you're trying to represent, but I know 17,500 people who would vehemently disagree with you. You may not like Boogie, but to deny just how rare a jewel he is just makes no sense at all.
I personally don't believe he's a superstar. He's not a leader. The guy constantly complains, yells, and argues with refs all the time. It gets to the point where he'd rather stay back, and argue with a ref than actually get back on defense. It affects the way he plays, it affects his teammates. When your best player is constantly barking at refs instead of going back on defense, how would that make you feel? He's forcing his teammates to play 4v5 in this situation too. That's not a leader.

His attitude and body language has always been poor. When he feels like he's not getting his way, or getting his calls, he becomes extremely frustrated. Instead of trying to calm down and gather his teammates together, be constantly blows up. He leads the entire NBA in techs, and most of them are warranted. He gets away with not getting tech'd all the time too. His demeanor becomes extremely sucky. He lets his emotions get in the way of how he needs to play.

When's the last time you saw Steph get frustrated because things aren't going his way, so he starts committing dumb fouls, gets angry at refs, brings down his teammates, etc. Maybe once in 60 games? How often do you see this happen with Cousins? Once every 2-3 games?

Cousins is not a leader...and that's a reason why he's not a superstar. Cuz has been in the NBA for 6 years, but he's still extremely immature. Yesterday, he spit out his mouth piece at at the Blazers bench and Meyers Leonard. That's extremely childish and unprofessional. Yet, some people will continue to defend that in pathetic ways.

How the hell could you even defend this? https://streamable.com/f0buh

If you're not going to be a lead by example, then you're not a leader. You're not a superstar. It is what it is.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Finally saw video of the mouthpiece incident.

Totally looks intentional! I'm not saying it was, but it looked it.

I also think it's hilarious.

Boogie is my guy. Keep on being a jerk, Cuz!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I personally don't believe he's a superstar. He's not a leader. The guy constantly complains, yells, and argues with refs all the time. It gets to the point where he'd rather stay back, and argue with a ref than actually get back on defense. It affects the way he plays, it affects his teammates. When your best player is constantly barking at refs instead of going back on defense, how would that make you feel? He's forcing his teammates to play 4v5 in this situation too. That's not a leader.

His attitude and body language has always been poor. When he feels like he's not getting his way, or getting his calls, he becomes extremely frustrated. Instead of trying to calm down and gather his teammates together, be constantly blows up. He leads the entire NBA in techs, and most of them are warranted. He gets away with not getting tech'd all the time too. His demeanor becomes extremely sucky. He lets his emotions get in the way of how he needs to play.

When's the last time you saw Steph get frustrated because things aren't going his way, so he starts committing dumb fouls, gets angry at refs, brings down his teammates, etc. Maybe once in 60 games? How often do you see this happen with Cousins? Once every 2-3 games?

Cousins is not a leader...and that's a reason why he's not a superstar. Cuz has been in the NBA for 6 years, but he's still extremely immature. Yesterday, he spit out his mouth piece at at the Blazers bench and Meyers Leonard. That's extremely childish and unprofessional. Yet, some people will continue to defend that in pathetic ways.

How the hell could you even defend this? https://streamable.com/f0buh

If you're not going to be a lead by example, then you're not a leader. You're not a superstar. It is what it is.
Superstar =/= leader.

HE DIDN'T spit out his mouthpiece at the bench. Believe what you like. I was there sitting in the lower bowl in a pretty good position to see the incident.

If you think that's me pathetically defending him, so be it.

Finally saw video of the mouthpiece incident.

Totally looks intentional! I'm not saying it was, but it looked it.

I also think it's hilarious.

Boogie is my guy. Keep on being a jerk, Cuz!

It sure looked like it was. I don't know if he was trying to for sure spit it out but he wasn't saying anything. Cuz got caught in a lie right there. Shame, shame Cuz. If you did it on purpose own it just like Barkley did back in the day.

Superstar =/= leader.

HE DIDN'T spit out his mouthpiece at the bench. Believe what you like. I was there sitting in the lower bowl in a pretty good position to see the incident.

If you think that's me pathetically defending him, so be it.
I just watched the video facing the incident. He clearly spit it out and from the other angle he did it right to Meyers Leonard. I wouldn't be surprised if Cuz will be missing some games for that.

Demarcus just always seems to find a way to put his own foot in his mouth and take an otherwise great moment and tarnish it. Then again, that also both makes Demarcus who he is and is part of the reason he's entertaining to watch. The only issue I have is Cuz is starting to play the victim card in a way that will completely backfire on him because he's going to look dishonest even if he's somewhat justified in retaliating. You did it, own it, learn from it, or don't give a damn and keep doing it, but don't play the victim card because he'll be playing with fire on that one.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It sure looked like it was. I don't know if he was trying to for sure spit it out but he wasn't saying anything. Cuz got caught in a lie right there. Shame, shame Cuz. If you did it on purpose own it just like Barkley did back in the day.
And besides, it is a tech to taunt the other team. I think at this point Cuz had the refs rattled.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just watched the video facing the incident. He clearly spit it out and from the other angle he did it right to Meyers Leonard. I wouldn't be surprised if Cuz will be missing some games for that.

Demarcus just always seems to find a way to put his own foot in his mouth and take an otherwise great moment and tarnish it. Then again, that also both makes Demarcus who he is and is part of the reason he's entertaining to watch. The only issue I have is Cuz is starting to play the victim card in a way that will completely backfire on him because he's going to look dishonest even if he's somewhat justified in retaliating. You did it, own it, learn from it, or don't give a damn and keep doing it, but don't play the victim card because he'll be playing with fire on that one.
You have your opinion, I have mine. We'll leave it at that.

And besides, it is a tech to taunt the other team. I think at this point Cuz had the refs rattled.

There may have been some guilt on their end as well. Letting Cuz get hammered all night long and then him finally having enough was partly on them. He didn't just do it for no reason, but he did it nonetheless. It certainly looked intentional and unfortunately for Cousins all that matters to a lot of people is what things look like even if it doesn't tell the whole story.

Now this is almost as awesome as what happened last night:

Sean Cunningham ‏@SeanCunningham 3h3 hours ago
Good news for Kings fans and DeMarcus Cousins. The NBA has rescinded 2 of his technicals dropping him to 8. 11/27 @ BKN and 12/12 vs. LAL
I think there's been a breakthrough. You do what you did tonight and you FORCE the NBA to bend to your will.

Last night was awesome and Boogie was incredible but let's set the record straight:

The original call was Boogie threw his mouthpiece and that was the reason for the tech. The ref saw the mouthpiece end up near the Blazers bench but was unsure if it was tossed by hand or fell out of his mouth. The ref asked Stotts if he threw his mouthpiece and Coach Stotts said "no". That's when the tech was rescinded and Boogie was called back. Boogie and the Kings were fortunate on at least two counts (1) Stotts was forthright with the ref. He could've said he didn't see it and the tech stands (2) The ref could have called Boogie for taunting. (3) It's unconceivable to say the mouthpiece fell from his mouth....he spit it out based on the trajectory it travelled so he could talk trash to Leonard.

Next, not sure if spitting your mouthpiece towards an opponent constitutes a tech, though it should, but I do know doing so in context of shouting obscenities at Leonard are grounds for tech, and this is exactly what happened per Leonard post-game. The refs grant more leeway in crunch time to allow emotion and celebratory response. But when you curse and spit your mouthpiece towards an opponent, that is enough unsportsmanlike conduct to get tech'd up. I don't care who the player is when it happens or whether the player has a sterling or tarnished reputation.

This is what is a bit disconcerting about Boogie's post-game reaction of "ridiculous....ridiculous....ridiculous". Boogie is convinced he is mistreated and refs are out to get him. Yet if you reconstruct the facts objectively, Boogie is fortunate he was allowed to stay in the game and make that timely shot block that sealed the win. If only one of three refs has eyeballs on Boogie after his and-one and in close enough vicinity in the raucous setting to hear what he yelled it becomes inarguable a technical foul is warranted. Does Boogie think spitting his mouthpiece and cursing an opponent is acceptable.... or wants to pretend it didn't happen?

Instead of saying "ridiculous" 27 times in 10 seconds to Kayte, Boogie should have been commending the refs for reversing the technical or not making an issue of it in the least. Moreover with more self-awareness after emotions cooled, I think he has to know he got away with something. Many players including himself have been tech'd up for less. None of this takes away from his spectacular performance. Once Boogie can be more self-aware in these situations and pivotal moments, he will take the next step in his development. There is also a way that you can talk trash without jeopardizing yourself or team (see Bird, Jordan, LeBron, etc).

There's also a point when it is obvious you are clearly the superior player to a guy like Myers Leonard and that he is neither worthy of your time or energy, unless an oversized ego compels you to chronically engage.

Last night was awesome and Boogie was incredible but let's set the record straight:

The original call was Boogie threw his mouthpiece and that was the reason for the tech. The ref saw the mouthpiece end up near the Blazers bench but was unsure if it was tossed by hand or fell out of his mouth. The ref asked Stotts if he threw his mouthpiece and Coach Stotts said "no". That's when the tech was rescinded and Boogie was called back. Boogie and the Kings were fortunate on at least two counts (1) Stotts was forthright with the ref. He could've said he didn't see it and the tech stands (2) The ref could have called Boogie for taunting. (3) It's unconceivable to say the mouthpiece fell from his mouth....he spit it out based on the trajectory it travelled so he could talk trash to Leonard.

Next, not sure if spitting your mouthpiece towards an opponent constitutes a tech, though it should, but I do know doing so in context of shouting obscenities at Leonard are grounds for tech, and this is exactly what happened per Leonard post-game. The refs grant more leeway in crunch time to allow emotion and celebratory response. But when you curse and spit your mouthpiece towards an opponent, that is enough unsportsmanlike conduct to get tech'd up. I don't care who the player is when it happens or whether the player has a sterling or tarnished reputation.

This is what is a bit disconcerting about Boogie's post-game reaction of "ridiculous....ridiculous....ridiculous". Boogie is convinced he is mistreated and refs are out to get him. Yet if you reconstruct the facts objectively, Boogie is fortunate he was allowed to stay in the game and make that timely shot block that sealed the win. If only one of three refs has eyeballs on Boogie after his and-one and in close enough vicinity in the raucous setting to hear what he yelled it becomes inarguable a technical foul is warranted. Does Boogie think spitting his mouthpiece and cursing an opponent is acceptable.... or wants to pretend it didn't happen?

Instead of saying "ridiculous" 27 times in 10 seconds to Kayte, Boogie should have been commending the refs for reversing the technical or not making an issue of it in the least. Moreover with more self-awareness after emotions cooled, I think he has to know he got away with something. Many players including himself have been tech'd up for less. None of this takes away from his spectacular performance. Once Boogie can be more self-aware in these situations and pivotal moments, he will take the next step in his development. There is also a way that you can talk trash without jeopardizing yourself or team (see Bird, Jordan, LeBron, etc).

There's also a point when it is obvious you are clearly the superior player to a guy like Myers Leonard and that he is neither worthy of your time or energy, unless an oversized ego compels you to chronically engage.
Don't think his "ridiculous" rant was uncalled for. Teams are going out of their way to stick a "goon" on him and purposely rough him up because 1. The refs aren't protecting him and 2. He's supposed to have someone on his team protecting him. He sees other "star" players getting touch fouls but he gets bludgeoned and hammered all game long and the refs allow it. He's going to get hurt one of these days from being gooned and it will be the league's fault for not protecting him. You understand why he's so angry now? He just wants a little consistency from the league on how refs handle him in comparison to his fellow all stars around the league.

The guy constantly complains, yells, and argues with refs all the time.
And a lot of people on this site -- you included -- constantly complain, yell, and argue about Boogie's complaining, yelling and arguing all the time. But somehow that's different because, like Boogie, you believe it's warranted. Pot meet kettle.

Believe it or not, many are just as tired of you guys complaining as you are of Boogie complaining.

Perspective is a helluva drug....

I'm one of Cousins biggest supporters on here, but I have a very, very hard time believing the mouthpiece was an accident. Mouthpieces don't just fly out at that speed when your standing/slowly walking and no contact is being made with you. Also, I'm sure these guys where custom mouthpieces which makes it even harder for them to fall out let alone "jet" out of someone's mouth like that.

Odds are, Cousins was in the wrong here. We were fortunate he did not get thrown out last night, and his little speech after the game made me think if he will ever be MAN enough to admit when he's in the wrong when it comes to the referees?

I used to be an absolute nightmare to referees when I was 13-16. I actually ended up becoming a referee later on down that road, and I learned that the entire reffing community was aware of me & how bad I was. They told me they would specifically keep a tighter leash on me because of this reputation, but I matured and got over that phase by realizing that if I wanted to win (and win at a high level), I can't put myself in a disadvantage right out of the gate. There's a whole team that is already trying to beat me.

Cousins' passion is great and I love his fire, but if he really wants to win as bad as he says he does, don't put yourself at a disadvantage. Perhaps he's mentally incapable, and it's wrong of me to talk about it like it's a fixable thing for him. Everyone is different & perhaps my own experience doesn't necessarily mean there is hope for him lessening his antics.

Having said all of that, don't mistake this post as someone who wants to run Cousins out of town or that we should trade Cousins immediately. I don't want that. I want his talent here, I want him to find success, and I just want the big fella to prove all of his haters wrong.

Last edited:

Now got listen the Meyers post game interview. He said Cuz was yelling and screaming when it came out.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Don't think his "ridiculous" rant was uncalled for. Teams are going out of their way to stick a "goon" on him and purposely rough him up because 1. The refs aren't protecting him and 2. He's supposed to have someone on his team protecting him. He sees other "star" players getting touch fouls but he gets bludgeoned and hammered all game long and the refs allow it. He's going to get hurt one of these days from being gooned and it will be the league's fault for not protecting him. You understand why he's so angry now? He just wants a little consistency from the league on how refs handle him in comparison to his fellow all stars around the league.
Agreed. Teams are being physical on almost every possession in the post. They force the refs to pick and choose when to call a foul. Myers Leonard was borderline dirty, Cousins is just taking care of business since the refs allow this crap to happen.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
that is excellent. Too far back to remember what they were for though.
I don't know the specifics but there were a few where he was calmly (so it seemed) chatting with a ref during a time out and suddenly he was t'd up. Maybe the NBA is re-thinking the magic word in that some crude language can be considered a part of normal conversation and that it only rises to the level of a tech when said angerly. There were at least a couple where I just scratched mt head.

His recent mini-rant to Katy that made him sound a tad paranoid may have been derived from these odd techs.

And a lot of people on this site -- you included -- constantly complain, yell, and argue about Boogie's complaining, yelling and arguing all the time. But somehow that's different because, like Boogie, you believe it's warranted. Pot meet kettle.

Believe it or not, many are just as tired of you guys complaining as you are of Boogie complaining.

Perspective is a helluva drug....
lol wtf? this is a site to discuss the Kings. so we shouldn't discuss it when our franchise player acts like a crybaby? lmao. your comment is ridiculous.

maybe if Cousins didn't ***** and complain all the time, then Kings fans wouldn't do the same? ever think about that?