De'Aaron accidentally leaks Red Velvet being in the Three Point Contest

With the way Sham leaked those 4 names in tandem, I wonder if the NBA is trying to do some type of tag-team NBA Jam style (with 2 players from the same team) 3pt shootout Royal Rumble. :p:eek:

Dame and Simons, Buddy and Hali, we can send in Huerter and Keegan!

Dunk Contest been dead since Zach LaVine stopped defending his crown. There really isnt a better dunker at those sort of contest style dunks than LaVine anyways so its meh. Whatever dunks people have in their arsenal its likely he could hit them with even more style/air/a better pose.

When LaVine was still a 3-star recruit (n listed at 6'3) before he blew up at UCLA he'd practice like crazy every day with his dad who was an NFL player, n IIRC the story goes for the last like 10 or 20 minutes of practice everyday Zach would just throw down all the highlight dunks youd see in the contest.

So when someone like that whos totally overprepared n overqualified doesnt even end up doing the contest after taking the crown, you know the dunk contest has actually gotta suck.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Dunk Contest been dead since Zach LaVine stopped defending his crown. There really isnt a better dunker at those sort of contest style dunks than LaVine anyways so its meh. Whatever dunks people have in their arsenal its likely he could hit them with even more style/air/a better pose.

When LaVine was still a 3-star recruit (n listed at 6'3) before he blew up at UCLA he'd practice like crazy every day with his dad who was an NFL player, n IIRC the story goes for the last like 10 or 20 minutes of practice everyday Zach would just throw down all the highlight dunks youd see in the contest.

So when someone like that whos totally overprepared n overqualified doesnt even end up doing the contest after taking the crown, you know the dunk contest has actually gotta suck.
Aaron Gordon should have beat Zach in 2016 so while I'm not the biggest fan of the contest this is an interesting take.

I think making it a 1 million dollar contest would get the best stars back in and probably pay for itself with advertising rights.

With stakes that high they would need to have some pretty clear judging criteria, like degrees of difficulty and criteria for how points are added/deducted. Just like 6.0/10.0 being wiped out of figure skating and gymnastic competitions, the dunk contest scoring is due for some transparency and a revamp, then you can dramatically boost the prize pool without accusations of favoritism and get the best dunkers in the contest.

You could also run qualifications as part of mid-game entertainment during December and January to build hype for the 8 finalists or whomever get selected.

Speaking of host cities. When is Sacramento going to get the game? G1C has been around a while now.
We don't have the hotel infrastructure right now. I don't see it happening. There was some talk of people staying in Napa and a dedicated bussing system to move to and from. We aren't getting NBA personnel to stay in the Marriot Courtyard near Garden Highway.

Speaking of host cities. When is Sacramento going to get the game? G1C has been around a while now.
We don't have the hotel infrastructure right now. I don't see it happening. There was some talk of people staying in Napa and a dedicated bussing system to move to and from. We aren't getting NBA personnel to stay in the Marriot Courtyard near Garden Highway.
Yeah, as @macadocious said, we need the hotel infrastructure first before we can even begin to entertain the idea of hosting All-Star Weekend. And, as @macadocious also unfortunately pointed out, I, too, don't see it happening.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'll admit it's kind of wild given my family background to be so out of touch on the hospitality sector in Sac, but it tracks. I guess I was under the impression that was part of the downtown/midtown revitalization the arena brought. But of course the pandemic certainly destroyed a lot of the hotel sector. It's been a nightmare in Portland which has some luxury hotels but similar issues surrounding attracting big events.

They can also bring cruise ships up the river and dock.