De’Aaron Fox

dude12

Hall of Famer
RE: Some of the above posts about the Sabonis/Fox relationship.

Of the several contributions Sabonis makes to the Kings, his positiveness and encouragement stands out. He is the first to congratulate a good play, an important score, and even sometimes adds a hug. Fox, Keegan, maybe Sasha and some others respond to this joyfulness with increased output, performance, and enthusiasm. The mental side of basketball is crucial to success. When Sabonis came to the Kings he brought something vital that doesn't directly show up in statistics.

OTOH coaches, and particularly Coach Brown, mostly deal in negativity and punishment. Such is the nature of coaching, but it can be tempered to fit the situation and personality/sensitivity of the players. An example is free throw shooting. Fox and Sabonis have no physical reason for having a free throw weakness. In practices, players are punished team-wide for an individual missing free throws rather than being encouraged to improve. Such teaching tactics cause tension, guilt, and performance derogation.

It will be very interesting when Brown leaves (under whatever circumstances) to hear the reactions of the players to his tenure. Fear of his heavy-handed tendencies have them cowered as of now.
Your wrong in regards to Brown and I’m sure the players like playing for him

RE: Some of the above posts about the Sabonis/Fox relationship.

Of the several contributions Sabonis makes to the Kings, his positiveness and encouragement stands out. He is the first to congratulate a good play, an important score, and even sometimes adds a hug. Fox, Keegan, maybe Sasha and some others respond to this joyfulness with increased output, performance, and enthusiasm. The mental side of basketball is crucial to success. When Sabonis came to the Kings he brought something vital that doesn't directly show up in statistics.

OTOH coaches, and particularly Coach Brown, mostly deal in negativity and punishment. Such is the nature of coaching, but it can be tempered to fit the situation and personality/sensitivity of the players. An example is free throw shooting. Fox and Sabonis have no physical reason for having a free throw weakness. In practices, players are punished team-wide for an individual missing free throws rather than being encouraged to improve. Such teaching tactics cause tension, guilt, and performance derogation.

It will be very interesting when Brown leaves (under whatever circumstances) to hear the reactions of the players to his tenure. Fear of his heavy-handed tendencies have them cowered as of now.
Whoa. I agreed with so much of this post until it got to Mike Brown. Fans and players love him for pretty much the opposite of what you'd described. Are we discussing the same Mike Brown, here?? He's super positive and encouraging, he just doesn't coddle. You need a balance, and, though he isn't perfect (no coach or player is) he's everything i wanted Adelman to be more of, at times.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
LMAO talk about "Trading the wrong point guard". I can't even begin to tell you the level of depression i'd be experiencing, watching Fox torch the eastern conference and the entire league with 8 threes alongside Embiid, as we hit the lottery for the 20th straight season. Dear God.
Taking nothing away from Hali, but he was ignored by the media for a season and a half here and then instantly proclaimed a star before he even had plane tickets to Indy. Fox forcing his way onto the stage and MVP conversation while playing IN SACRAMENTO with the twin clouds of Luka and Hali hung over his head for no valid reason is next level stuff. Can you imagine what he'd be doing if he actually got calls when he drove to the hoop and got hacked like he does in Sac, which I assume he'd be getting in any other city?

My discussion here is not at all about Coach Brown's personality, media relationships, or the public view that he generates. Rather, it is about the teaching techniques and the educational soundness of his coaching style as related to players' performance and improvement. As another poster pointed out, it sounds like Bobby Knight (RIP) but it is far, far more gentle and subtle of course.

Recall that he has been dismissed from three previous head coaching assignments even after earning COY in one of those jobs. I am not privy to the details of those terminations but there is a reason he is not a long-tenured head coach in the league. Sometimes a style, such as his, can get stale and rub even insensitive players the wrong way. I am seeing it starting to fester here as it may have done elsewhere. It will likely be two to three years in the future but the end is perceptible. Others may not see it or may choose not to see it but my training and experience in education makes it stand out to me. Eventually, you all will see it also.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Recall that he has been dismissed from three previous head coaching assignments even after earning COY in one of those jobs.
This was why I initially didn't want to hire him. I would say that digging deeper into it and understanding the reasons (something I only did when it came down to him or Mark Jackson) - all of which were centered around LeBron and Kobe - who later in their careers heaped praise on Brown for teaching things they didn't want to learn that helped define them, was enough to turn me around.

edit: also its clear that Brown learned from his past, especially when working under a "player's coach" like Kerr - and you see stuff like the DPOG and the way he goes out of his way to celebrate player's achievements and takes personal ownership and accountability in post games, he is not a ridiculous hard-ass even if he does demand a lot from his guys.

Last edited:
Taking nothing away from Hali, but he was ignored by the media for a season and a half here and then instantly proclaimed a star before he even had plane tickets to Indy. Fox forcing his way onto the stage and MVP conversation while playing IN SACRAMENTO with the twin clouds of Luka and Hali hung over his head for no valid reason is next level stuff. Can you imagine what he'd be doing if he actually got calls when he drove to the hoop and got hacked like he does in Sac, which I assume he'd be getting in any other city?
I think about this a LOT! And I’m so so glad he’s ours. One way or another, Fox and our team will get their respect. He’s leaving the league no other option at this point, slowly but surely.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think about this a LOT! And I’m so so glad he’s ours. One way or another, Fox and our team will get their respect. He’s leaving the league no other option at this point, slowly but surely.
It's incredibly frustrating that he's still left wanting for obvious calls but I have no doubt he is the guy that is going to make Sacramento get respect again.

The only player shooting a higher 3pt % than Fox — that averages as many (or more) attempts per game — is Stephen Wardell Curry.

Tyrese Haliburton is shooting a higher % too, but his attempts are just slightly fewer and very very close.
The Warriors better be glad Fox hurt his finger in game 4. People would look at our squad totally differently than they do now, but, it's all good. :cool:

Fox is cementing himself as one of those elites you hate to see on the opposing teams. He is just unguardable and his long-range is becoming more deadly than his midrange. Monk is another one. Although he's not a volume scorer, he knows how and when to deliver the blow with an absolute authority, must be very devastating.

GCt-QrpagAALLLs.jpg

Last edited:
Two questions: 1) The past six games, Fox is only shooting 39.2% from the field. He averages 21 points per game, but that's on 20 attempts, certainly not efficient by his standards. Has he been dealing with an illness for the past two weeks? 2) Why do Fox and Sabonis rarely execute the pick-and-roll? It has been a standard NBA play for decades. We have to wait for Malik Monk to come in to see it on the Kings. Monk has been working on it the past four seasons with Nic Richards, Anthony Davis, Chimezie Metu, Domantas Sabonis, and JaVale McGee. But Fox has all the tools.

Brown said Fox was OK. Then he said the media should ask Fox if he has something going on. Does Brown talk to Fox? Does Fox talk to Brown? Is there some secret Brown can't reveal? Or is there really nothing?
Fox playing injured is an open secret. Understandably he doesn't want to admit the extent of his limitations to the press.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Players that rely on forcing up through contact at the rim while getting swatted down on by a defender going for the ball is just a ticking time bomb. I remember when Rudy Gay messed his shoulder up. Both Fox and Morant use that same move to get to the line. Scary stuff.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Players that rely on forcing up through contact at the rim while getting swatted down on by a defender going for the ball is just a ticking time bomb. I remember when Rudy Gay messed his shoulder up. Both Fox and Morant use that same move to get to the line. Scary stuff.
which is exactly the reason a player hunting contact vs a player looking to score without influence from the whistle can prolong a career