De’Aaron Fox

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The “trade Fox and picks for Ben Simmons to build around him and Hali” takes have aged poorly.
I am sure that he'd have found similar success if he were traded to any remotely competent team but there's no denying that Domas seemed to immediately instill something in him that was missing and not only is he completely taking over like he was last year, he's nasty now too. I love it. I just hope we can build on this second half and the good we saw tonight.

I am sure that he'd have found similar success if he were traded to any remotely competent team but there's no denying that Domas seemed to immediately instill something in him that was missing and not only is he completely taking over like he was last year, he's nasty now too. I love it. I just hope we can build on this second half and the good we saw tonight.
You saw it game 1 after that win vs Minny and the hug after the game. Looked like a 10-ton weight was lifted off his shoulders and he knew he finally had a running mate that was there to compliment his game rather than take from it. Really from the 2nd Domas got here, Fox has stepped into being a superstar role and flourished.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
You saw it game 1 after that win vs Minny and the hug after the game. Looked like a 10-ton weight was lifted off his shoulders and he knew he finally had a running mate that was there to compliment his game rather than take from it. Really from the 2nd Domas got here, Fox has stepped into being a superstar role and flourished.
The immediate change was a revelation for sure but I think it's been a non-stop evolution. Domas was lead dog that night, barking orders and showing everyone they could win. There are a few moments I could point to Fox taking over that role, from the Orlando game that turned last season around to the start of the Dubs series, but he's gone to a next level again. I think he clearly gained a new level of confidence in the post season last year and Steph seems to have taken a real shine to him, which I have love and hate emotions about.

I doubt he'll be invisible in the All Star Game this year.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The “trade Fox and picks for Ben Simmons to build around him and Hali” takes have aged poorly.
There was at least one point of recognition there, which is that Fox/Hali was not a workable duo - as was made clear when both players unlocked their game after the trade. The idea to go after Simmons was one of those high-risk, high-reward plays to land a triple-double threat big man who was hopefully fixable. So far...nope. And the thought was right, because we broke up Fox/Hali to get...a triple-double threat big man, just a far lower risk one.

I was never gung-ho on a Simmons acquisition, but I definitely looked at the idea sideways a few times and said, "Well, it COULD pan out..."

There was at least one point of recognition there, which is that Fox/Hali was not a workable duo - as was made clear when both players unlocked their game after the trade. The idea to go after Simmons was one of those high-risk, high-reward plays to land a triple-double threat big man who was hopefully fixable. So far...nope. And the thought was right, because we broke up Fox/Hali to get...a triple-double threat big man, just a far lower risk one.

I was never gung-ho on a Simmons acquisition, but I definitely looked at the idea sideways a few times and said, "Well, it COULD pan out..."
I’m really curious to see what his next contract looks like if he can return from the back problems. Are we talking mid level? A prove it one year contract? I’d imagine a team would like to get bird rights just in case it works out. I still think he has a chance of turning it around in the right situation. Hard to fit a no ( not non) shooter into most lineups though.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I do not see any scenario where Fox goes to another team and does what he has done over the last two years that doesn't look like if you multiplied all the LOLKANGZPASSEDONLUKA smears by the LOLKANGZTRADEDHALIBRONJAMESJUNIOR smears exponentially.

Throw in the fact that we most certainly would have had to sell low on Fox and probably taken on bad contracts in return, but you know what, I am sure one of those bad contracts would wind up working the post-game desk for the next decade. So we lost out on that.

I can't remember a player that snatches a solid game out of early garbage play like him. 4th quarter Fox is for real and so is 2nd half Fox.
It’s to the point where pretty much the only online complaints/comments I see are that he needs to play like Q4 and 2nd half Fox from the opening tip.

If that were possible to sustain, we’d be talking about one of the greatest players of all-time, forget greatest Sacramento era KING.

Besides, I think he does a nice job of allowing others to get involved early and trying to play team ball. For the most part, you want your star player saving some energy for when games are typically decided.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Fox is 5th in 3 pointers made per game at 3.6 makes (tied with Trae but shooting a better percentage). To put things in perspective he is ahead of players like Klay, Buddy, Donovan Mitchell and Dame.
Player A: 3.8 3PTA/G, .321 3PT% - De'Aaron Fox before this season

Player B: 8.9 3PTA/G, .404 3PT% - De'Aaron Fox this season

Last edited:
RE: Some of the above posts about the Sabonis/Fox relationship.

Of the several contributions Sabonis makes to the Kings, his positiveness and encouragement stands out. He is the first to congratulate a good play, an important score, and even sometimes adds a hug. Fox, Keegan, maybe Sasha and some others respond to this joyfulness with increased output, performance, and enthusiasm. The mental side of basketball is crucial to success. When Sabonis came to the Kings he brought something vital that doesn't directly show up in statistics.

OTOH coaches, and particularly Coach Brown, mostly deal in negativity and punishment. Such is the nature of coaching, but it can be tempered to fit the situation and personality/sensitivity of the players. An example is free throw shooting. Fox and Sabonis have no physical reason for having a free throw weakness. In practices, players are punished team-wide for an individual missing free throws rather than being encouraged to improve. Such teaching tactics cause tension, guilt, and performance derogation.

It will be very interesting when Brown leaves (under whatever circumstances) to hear the reactions of the players to his tenure. Fear of his heavy-handed tendencies have them cowered as of now.

OTOH coaches, and particularly Coach Brown, mostly deal in negativity and punishment. Such is the nature of coaching, but it can be tempered to fit the situation and personality/sensitivity of the players. An example is free throw shooting. Fox and Sabonis have no physical reason for having a free throw weakness. In practices, players are punished team-wide for an individual missing free throws rather than being encouraged to improve. Such teaching tactics cause tension, guilt, and performance derogation.

It will be very interesting when Brown leaves (under whatever circumstances) to hear the reactions of the players to his tenure. Fear of his heavy-handed tendencies have them cowered as of now.
This sounds like Bobby Knight, not Mike Brown. Coach’s style is honesty, accountability and love. He’s also one of if not the most jovial head coaches in the league. Keegan has described him as a father figure, Fox said his structure is exactly what the team needed and Monk has said the Kings environment has allowed him to flourish. The only thing players get annoyed by is the long practices/film sessions but even that sound pretty minor.

This sounds like Bobby Knight, not Mike Brown. Coach’s style is honesty, accountability and love. He’s also one of if not the most jovial head coaches in the league. Keegan has described him as a father figure, Fox said his structure is exactly what the team needed and Monk has said the Kings environment has allowed him to flourish. The only thing players get annoyed by is the long practices/film sessions but even that sound pretty minor.
Ok, I'll listen to your explanation for the lack of defense and the free-throw shooting woes, Add to that the inflexible choice of starters, the unexplained benching of various players (notably Sasha), the static rotation, the one-note offense, Keegan's ups and downs, and the lack of use of the end of the bench when circumstances indicate a specific need..basketball purgatory. Outward (media) appearances do not always tell the full story. (Recall his exchange with Monk at a practice.) Let me know all about it from your perspective.

Oh, and of course the players are going to defend the (current) coach. Even Walton was defended by players during his time. An abused child nearly always defends the abuser in my experiences with such cases. Power and control dictate it.

Ok, I'll listen to your explanation for the lack of defense and the free-throw shooting woes, Add to that the inflexible choice of starters, the unexplained benching of various players (notably Sasha), the static rotation, the one-note offense, Keegan's ups and downs, and the lack of use of the end of the bench when circumstances indicate a specific need..basketball purgatory. Outward (media) appearances do not always tell the full story. (Recall his exchange with Monk at a practice.) Let me know all about it from your perspective.

Oh, and of course the players are going to defend the (current) coach. Even Walton was defended by players during his time. An abused child nearly always defends the abuser in my experiences with such cases. Power and control dictate it.
-Lack of defense is mostly due to less talent on that end than other teams imo.
-our starters have a +13.3 net rating and a 105.8 defensive rating some of the best numbers in the league. Also starting doesn’t mean you have to play big minutes. He has show the flexibility to play reserves if they are producing more ( hawks game for example)
- Keegan is up and down because he is a shooter and a second year player. Every shooter on the team has gone on to multiple shooting slumps. Klay Thompson was getting roasted earlier this year and now he is killing it again. Happens to most shooters even the best ones.
- he does use the end of the bench, that’s how Keon got his chance and that’s how Davion played against the hawks after being out of the rotation for weeks.
- the single note offense is a problem when we are cold and I don’t like the reliance on 3. Id like to think a future trade might address that.