Darren Collison Pleads Guilty

Whether Collison gets a 5 game suspension or a 1 year suspension is relevant to the Kings, so I get why so many people here are making their predictions. But my interest (as a Kings fan) is the moral implication of his crime. It's inadequate (for me) to simply accept what the court has imposed, which is that he is guilty of misdemeanor domestic violence, without knowing more about what happened.
Did he butt heads with his wife during an argument? Did he punch her? Slap her? Block the door as she was trying to leave? Did he bruise her wrist when he held it to keep her from slapping him? Or did he knock her out?
Knowing more about what happened and why it happened would help me to assess his rightful punishment as a King. Whether to root for him when he does return, whether to trade him or release him, etc.
Maybe we'll never know the details. Or know them with any accuracy. But I still long to know them before projecting what I think is "justice" in this matter. For those who think the details don't matter, I hope you are never charged with a crime!
That's the thing though. Does the public really have a right ti know intimate details of the case? The case has already been heard by the court. There's no need to judge Collison in the court of public opinion. There are critical things that should be assessed when disclosing information such as privacy of the victim vs. releasing information so that fans of a sport can decide whether to root for the person. I think the former is more important.

Pleading guilty is smart relative to the pending suspension, showing contrition. The league would come down harder if there was substantial evidence of guilt and player claimed innocence. I think on the Insider Podcast, James Ham said there was a minor physical altercation (pushing or shoving, no punches) and Collison was accused on spitting on his wife. But it was not in the ballpark of the level of domestic abuse in the Taylor case. Still an ugly incident of course.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That's the thing though. Does the public really have a right ti know intimate details of the case? The case has already been heard by the court. There's no need to judge Collison in the court of public opinion. There are critical things that should be assessed when disclosing information such as privacy of the victim vs. releasing information so that fans of a sport can decide whether to root for the person. I think the former is more important.
Exactly. And, just to clarify, it's a long-standing policy of this forum NOT to go into lurid details, etc. The only reason this is being discussed here at all is in relation to how it impacts the Kings.

Suprised to see so many folks here think he is only due a slap on the wrist. He plead guilty to battering a woman and was sentenced to 20 days in jail. I'm thinking the minimum suspension is also 20 games.

Seems to me that the court of public opinion is already in session, like it or not. Another board (that I will not mention by name) is filled with posters who seem disgusted by Collison's unforgivable behavior. The fact that he's guilty of domestic violence is all they need (or want) to know. This board, in contrast, seems more interested in guessing the right number of months of his suspension.
However, my desire to know the details shouldn't come at the expense of the victim. So I'll give you that.
But does that mean that if the information is available and it just hasn't been widely shared, that it should be suppressed?
Or if Collison and his wife want to share the details, we shouldn't listen?
I'm not asking anyone to steal a copy of the investigative report, or require the DA to release their notes on the case. I just want to be the judge in my own court of public opinion, and that requires a bit more than knowing that he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor domestic violence and that the injury was minor.
VF - the reason this is relevant to Kings basketball is obvious. No one is seeking "lurid details."

Seems to me that the court of public opinion is already in session, like it or not.
The court of public opinion is always in session, but there's a reason legal cases are tried in a court room setting as opposed to public opinion.

Another board (that I will not mention by name) is filled with posters who seem disgusted by Collison's unforgivable behavior. The fact that he's guilty of domestic violence is all they need (or want) to know. This board, in contrast, seems more interested in guessing the right number of months of his suspension.
I wish those people could serve as jurors because we would never need to know the facts or have due process. Everything is black and white and the facts don't mitigate or aggravate anything. They would save the state a lot of money don't ya think?

However, my desire to know the details shouldn't come at the expense of the victim. So I'll give you that.
But does that mean that if the information is available and it just hasn't been widely shared, that it should be suppressed?
If Collison or his wife want to expand on the incident, I'm sure we will all be ready to listen. If the details are highly sensitive. then one can make the argument the information should be suppressed to protect the privacy of the victim. Believe it or not, society has a bad habit of stigmatizing victims once more information is released.

I'm not asking anyone to steal a copy of the investigative report, or require the DA to release their notes on the case. I just want to be the judge in my own court of public opinion, and that requires a bit more than knowing that he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor domestic violence and that the injury was minor.
What's really relevant here is that the prosecutor's office decided against putting Collison in a 10 x 10 cell and throwing away the key. They even issued a statement declaring his contrition.

Seems to me that the court of public opinion is already in session, like it or not. Another board (that I will not mention by name) is filled with posters who seem disgusted by Collison's unforgivable behavior. The fact that he's guilty of domestic violence is all they need (or want) to know. This board, in contrast, seems more interested in guessing the right number of months of his suspension.
VF - the reason this is relevant to Kings basketball is obvious. No one is seeking "lurid details."
Well, we know the League is considering all this and thoroughly I presume. All we need to do is wait a few weeks and learn their decision which I am sure will be published. In the meantime we can discuss 3pt. shooting averages.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If the interest in the case comes from knowing how this will affect the Kings, then I think that's a legit reason. But if your interest is in knowing all the lurid details of the case, then maybe you should take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why? With the advent of social media, everyone seems to know everything about everyone, and everyone has an opinion. And a lot of opinions are hateful and disgusting. There will always be people that take their opinions to the extreme, and then people that will either agree or disagree with them, many times in a despicable way.

I have no need to know what happened between Collison and his wife anymore than I would have a need to know what happens in your bedroom every night. His family has been put through an ordeal and embarrassment that I'm sure Collison truly regrets. Other than how that affects the team, they're entitled to their privacy, in order to get their lives back in order. This isn't a reality show! Their not there for our entertainment.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My point is that we, unlike the unnamed other board, drew a line a long time ago in regards to discussing things like domestic violence, sexual assault, etc. It's not about suppressing the information; it's about not posting the information here. The policy is based on some pretty ugly comments, flame fests, etc. that happened a couple of times, most noticeably when Kobe Bryant was facing charges in Colorado.

If the interest in the case comes from knowing how this will affect the Kings, then I think that's a legit reason. But if your interest is in knowing all the lurid details of the case, then maybe you should take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why? With the advent of social media, everyone seems to know everything about everyone, and everyone has an opinion. And a lot of opinions are hateful and disgusting. There will always be people that take their opinions to the extreme, and then people that will either agree or disagree with them, many times in a despicable way.

I have no need to know what happened between Collison and his wife anymore than I would have a need to know what happens in your bedroom every night. His family has been put through an ordeal and embarrassment that I'm sure Collison truly regrets. Other than how that affects the team, they're entitled to their privacy, in order to get their lives back in order. This isn't a reality show! Their not there for our entertainment.
Who are you speaking to? You're responding to my post, but I think you're addressing people who watch reality TV and think that everyone exists for their personal entertainment, no matter the cost. Hopefully you don't have me confused with "them." I think I've been pretty clear why I'd like to have more information (if it exists and doesn't come at the expense of a victim's privacy). If there is no information to help me better assess my feelings toward one of the better Kings players, then I'll have to deal with that lack of information like the rest of you. Please direct your insults to the people who deserve them.

My point is that we, unlike the unnamed other board, drew a line a long time ago in regards to discussing things like domestic violence, sexual assault, etc. It's not about suppressing the information; it's about not posting the information here. The policy is based on some pretty ugly comments, flame fests, etc. that happened a couple of times, most noticeably when Kobe Bryant was facing charges in Colorado.
I appreciate that, VF. Thanks for giving the context.
I personally think you guys get a bit too controlling at times, but I'm also aware of how that sort of thing can get out of control, real fast. So, while I'd like to see a bit more latitude at times, I understand the need to err on the side of caution.

Suprised to see so many folks here think he is only due a slap on the wrist. He plead guilty to battering a woman and was sentenced to 20 days in jail. I'm thinking the minimum suspension is also 20 games.
IIRC, Grant made a point to repeat that Collison was NOT sentenced to jail time - the phrase he used was "Alternative sentencing".

James Ham assured us that the suspension would come quickly after the court stuff went through. So, what gives? When's the suspension going to be announced? Did I miss something?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
James Ham assured us that the suspension would come quickly after the court stuff went through. So, what gives? When's the suspension going to be announced? Did I miss something?
I think you missed the fact that this is the Kings we are talking about here and not any other competent organization.

He's known her since high school and there are no other reported incidents of domestic violence in the past. He seems truly contrite. From personal experience, I know that things can go badly to the point of physical violence between any couple and then it never happens again. If he does this again, though, I'll show no mercy.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think you missed the fact that this is the Kings we are talking about here and not any other competent organization.
I think we're looking at an NBA suspension, not a Kings suspension. So it's the NBA dragging its feet.

(Unless, of course, you're accusing James Ham of being incompetent. Which I would allow to pass without comment.)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Your opinion seems fair to me. The fact is that a lot of people only want to know what the sentence is for the purpose of knowing how it affects the team's prospects, or the classification of the crime, but they don't want to know the actual nature of the crime. It's much more comfortable to just take a cursory glance at the situation; it allows for an easier partition in conscience between what happens on the court and off the court. The fact is that this is a team composed of human beings, it's not a video game, and as such, the moral quality of these players may be relevant to our interest or attraction to this team. Some people don't want to route for a team of reprobates.

I think we're looking at an NBA suspension, not a Kings suspension. So it's the NBA dragging its feet.
I expect the NBA to announce the suspension closer to the start of the season, maybe a week or two before the start of the season.

I have noticed that the NBA usually does not hand out punishment in the middle of the off-season usually.

I expect the NBA to announce the suspension closer to the start of the season, maybe a week or two before the start of the season.

I have noticed that the NBA usually does not hand out punishment in the middle of the off-season usually.
Taht would really suck for us from a planning perspective. Unless Collison and the team know what the length of suspension is well in advance before it get made public.