Current Team Discussion and Possible Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're out of your mind if you think that's getting Cousins or that's all Boston will offer. We will get '17Nets and Brown plus Roizer or '18 nets pick added on. Angie isn't a fool he knows franchise players win and there desperate for one. Add in the fact that there the 3rd best team in the east and IT who will beg for cousins and we will get that trade. Hell you can and make a case that with DMC playing 30 regular season games plus 2 playoff rounds Boston would beat Cleveland in the ECF, when you look at Clevelands bigs plus no guards to match IT.

Also Vlade will make it a bidding war. That lowball offer you said can be matched by

Denver: Jokic/Murray/ 2 1sts
Lakers: Russell/Randle
Phoenix: Bender/Warren/1st
Denver isn't on step away and would be concerned about re signing him. Lakers would rather wait til FA to see if they can sign him outright.

I think your misjudging the market, but we will see

I think it's a legit second step to worry about (value being offered)

We have to remember just like it's FAR from fact that Vlade had a bad draft it's far from fact Bogdanovic becomes anything more then a role player in the NBA. It's also not a fact he will ever even come over to the NBA.

For example Nemanja Bjelica who plays for the Timberwolves played for this same team Bogdanovic plays for. Bjelica won EuroLeague MVP in 2014-2015. Today in the NBA he's averaging

17.3 mpg, 7.0 ppg, 3.5 trb and 1.2 ast.

Not exactly mind blowing stats coming from someone who recently won MVP. Another example is Jan Vesely who currently plays with Bogdanovic now. Vesley made All Euro League First Team last season. Vesely was drafted 6th overall in 2011 and played his last season in the NBA in 2013-2014. He was never able to establish himself in the NBA, I would consider him a bust in terms of where he was drafted.

I like Bogdanovic but I don't think you can necessarily assume he becomes a successful NBA player.
Like any rookie, we don't know exactly where he'll end up, but it was promising to see him play well in the olympics as basically the #1 option while going up against NBA caliber talent. I think you're overlooking that shred of evidence here. He struggled in the championship against a team comprised of nothing but all-stars, but he had a promising & successful tournament.

per36: 57% TS% / 46% FG% / 37% 3PT% / 88% FT% / 16.8 PPG / 5.0 RPG / 3.9 APG / 1.7 SPG / 2.9 TOPG

Not too shabby when going up against a lot of NBA talent while the main focus of opposing teams is to shut him down...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good post, but I don't see Boston including all that. I think they'd do Bkn17, Rozier,Zizic and a lesser first at most. Cousins rep is still questionable and his efficiency has been lessening, and Boston is really the only destination with these amount of assets and possible immediate will to take the next step without a true center. If they aren't interested then who? They could just get Bogut for a weak first
Deciding to move him is only one step, the other part is someone has to give value, and unfortunately that's not a given
Oh, I think Ainge would happily make that deal. After all, he's not giving up a single starting player or any of his top 2 or 3 bench players. It's a lot to give up, but it doesn't hurt them at all in the here and now and guys like Cousins don't become available often for good reason.

And it isn't that Boston needs a center. There are very few matchups that Horford can't handle. It's that Cousins changes the landscape. They'd go from a good team in the East to possibly the presumptive favorite to come out of the East. Cousins and Horford would be a versatile, imposing front court that few teams could match up with.

Boston is currently shooting the 5th most 3's and tied for 10th in 3P%. Cousins would open things up even more from the outside. Boogie's efficiency should also increase dramatically once he's not asked to do everything for a good team.

It's a gamble I think the Celtics would have to make. He's not a guy who fills a hole - he's possibly the piece that makes the Celtics a real championship contender - and Ainge has shown over and over that his M.O. is to gather assets in order to parlay them into big pieces. It's how they got Garnett and Pierce to fill out the team that won them their last title.

Denver isn't on step away and would be concerned about re signing him. Lakers would rather wait til FA to see if they can sign him outright.

I think your misjudging the market, but we will see

I think it's a legit second step to worry about (value being offered)
Legit questions.

Either way Angie is no dummy he's trading Brown/'17Nets for Cousins without thinking twice. They'd be a top 4 team in the league

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the thing for me - if I saw a way to put a winner around Cousins I wouldn't want him traded at all.

@twslam07 put together a scenario but (1) it takes three seasons (2) it requires Cousins re-signing with the Kings while they rebuild yet again (3) it counts on John Wall deciding to sign with the Kings in the summer of 2019. Just on that last point there's never been a free agent of that caliber to sign in Sacramento - it is unprecedented really.

At this point the worst case scenario is the Kings standing pat and playing just well enough to lose their draft pick but not well enough to make the postseason.

Only slightly better would be sneaking into the playoffs. Because while I'd love to see the Kings end their playoff drought, they'd be faced with either retooling completely this offseason or overpaying to keep together a core that was only good enough to sneak into the last spot or so of the playoffs with not a ton of hope for growth.

It might be possible to build around Cousins on the fly - maybe Rudy gets dealt for lesser talent that fits better and helps the team move the ball more. Maybe the Kings keep their pick (and perhaps even get lucky for once in the lottery) and finally draft another difference maker. Maybe next summer's low key free agent signings actually pay a lot of dividends. It's possible. But it would take a lot of things breaking just right.

On the other hand, this is shaping up to be a VERY strong draft. Possibly one of the best in a number of years. And relatively deep up top too. There are a number of guys I like a lot. Two top 5 or so picks would be really nice to have.

And if Cousins is dealt for young players and a big ending contract (like Amir Johnson) and Rudy is either allowed to leave as a free agent or (more ideally) dealt for another ender or two and either a young player or a late 1st or early 2nd then the Kings can all of a sudden have a lot of cap room. Tolliver and Afflalo can be cut loose and now the Kings are in a position to do what the Sixers did - help other teams unload ugly contracts to free up cap space in exchange for young players or picks.

I see a path forward trading Cousins. It's much harder to see a path forward building around him - at least one that doesn't take 3-4 years to be competitive.

This isn't where I wanted the Kings to end up. But when you blow lottery pick after lottery pick and fail to build around your star, this is what you get.

Crabbe is already a good player, in the NBA. All he needs is the opportunity to be a star player
I see the same potential in Crabbe as I saw in Rodney Hood (though Hood has a better in between game). Rodney Hood is 16 PPG on a 13-9 team, the Jazz 3rd scorer. Crabbe can be this type of player or better on the Kings.

I think the deal has to be Brown, BKN '17, BKN '18 as the starting point. I could see them wanting Casspi as well to help replace Brown, but they may not want to give up a guy like Rozier who is currently in their rotation. Perhaps you make a Zeller/Brown/Yabusele/BKN '17/BKN '18 for Cousins/Casspi deal. That would leave them with a very strong starting lineup and a very deep bench with plenty of shooters around their two dominant big men.

Thomas / Rozier / Jackson
Bradley / Smart / Young
Crowder / Casspi / Green
Horford / Johnson / Jerebko / Mickey
Cousins / Olynyk

The shooting on this team would be ridiculous, and that wouldn't be the end of the world for opposing teams if they didn't have a plethora of players that can break a defense but they would have that.

Thomas - 33% 2016 / 36% 2015 / 36% career
Rozier - 35% 2016 / 22% 2015 / 30% career
Bradley - 40% 2016 / 36% 2015 / 36% career
Crowder - 40% 2016 / 34% 2015 / 33% career
Casspi - 29% 2016 / 41% 2015 / 37% career
Green - 28% 2016 / 32% 2015 / 36% career
Horford - 39% 2016 / 34% 2015 / 35% career
Jerebko - 49% 2016 / 40% 2015 / 36% career
Johnson - 38% 2016 / 23% 2015 / 32% career
Olynyk - 39% 2016 / 41% 2015 / 37% career
Cousins - 38% 2016 / 33% 2015 / 31% career

Seven of the players above either are currently averaging above 40% from 3 or have averaged above 40% from 3 at least one time in their career. Ten of them have averaged at least 38% from 3 in one season. I think Cousins would finally have the space he deserves.

You're out of your mind if you think that's getting Cousins or that's all Boston will offer. We will get '17Nets and Brown plus Roizer or '18 nets pick added on. Angie isn't a fool he knows franchise players win and there desperate for one. Add in the fact that there the 3rd best team in the east and IT who will beg for cousins and we will get that trade. Hell you can and make a case that with DMC playing 30 regular season games plus 2 playoff rounds Boston would beat Cleveland in the ECF, when you look at Clevelands bigs plus no guards to match IT.

Also Vlade will make it a bidding war. That lowball offer you said can be matched by

Denver: Jokic/Murray/ 2 1sts
Lakers: Russell/Randle
Phoenix: Bender/Warren/1st
Those teams would absolutely never offer us that.............

Denver is a rebuilding team. No reason to include their 2 most promising players AND 2 1STS for an expiring contract.

Russell and Randle is the future of the young Lakers. No reason to trade for Cousins.

Phoenix trade..maybe.

Here's the thing for me - if I saw a way to put a winner around Cousins I wouldn't want him traded at all.

@twslam07 put together a scenario but (1) it takes three seasons (2) it requires Cousins re-signing with the Kings while they rebuild yet again (3) it counts on John Wall deciding to sign with the Kings in the summer of 2019. Just on that last point there's never been a free agent of that caliber to sign in Sacramento - it is unprecedented really.

At this point the worst case scenario is the Kings standing pat and playing just well enough to lose their draft pick but not well enough to make the postseason.

Only slightly better would be sneaking into the playoffs. Because while I'd love to see the Kings end their playoff drought, they'd be faced with either retooling completely this offseason or overpaying to keep together a core that was only good enough to sneak into the last spot or so of the playoffs with not a ton of hope for growth.

It might be possible to build around Cousins on the fly - maybe Rudy gets dealt for lesser talent that fits better and helps the team move the ball more. Maybe the Kings keep their pick (and perhaps even get lucky for once in the lottery) and finally draft another difference maker. Maybe next summer's low key free agent signings actually pay a lot of dividends. It's possible. But it would take a lot of things breaking just right.

On the other hand, this is shaping up to be a VERY strong draft. Possibly one of the best in a number of years. And relatively deep up top too. There are a number of guys I like a lot. Two top 5 or so picks would be really nice to have.

And if Cousins is dealt for young players and a big ending contract (like Amir Johnson) and Rudy is either allowed to leave as a free agent or (more ideally) dealt for another ender or two and either a young player or a late 1st or early 2nd then the Kings can all of a sudden have a lot of cap room. Tolliver and Afflalo can be cut loose and now the Kings are in a position to do what the Sixers did - help other teams unload ugly contracts to free up cap space in exchange for young players or picks.

I see a path forward trading Cousins. It's much harder to see a path forward building around him - at least one that doesn't take 3-4 years to be competitive.

This isn't where I wanted the Kings to end up. But when you blow lottery pick after lottery pick and fail to build around your star, this is what you get.
Yeah, we have a similar line of thinking at this point, and I agree with many of your points.

I would say that I don't think that my scenario "counts" on us signing Wall. We could easily develop the talent we need across Grant, Wright, Bogdanovic, Richardson, Valentine, Isaac, Labissire, Hartenstein, Portis, Cauley-Stein, Papagianis, & SAC 2018 1st to be a top tier team. Considering we'd have so much talent/potential at the 4 & 5 (Labissire, Hartenstein, Portis, Cauley-Stein, Papagianis, Cousins), you could explore trades to acquire a top PG (rather than relying on signing Wall/Bledsoe). I just suggested signing Wall/Bledsoe because of the fact that we wouldn't have to give up assets, our team might look very promising to other FAs, & Cousins might be able to sway one of his buddies to come play with him. The NBA has turned into a "buddy recruit buddy" sort of FA. Considering they are all such good friends, I wouldn't say it's out of the question. We would just really need to focus on developing our young guys to make us as attractive as possible.

Also, I wouldn't keep Cousins in that scenario if he expressed that he would be upset with another youth movement or if he gave any indication he wouldn't resign if we wanted to move towards a mini rebuild around him. You'd have to have a very candid conversation with him, explain the vision, and ask him if he would like to be here long term with that plan in mind. If the answer is no, I think you look to do the Boston trade we've been discussing. If the answer is yes, you hold onto your 26 year old top 10 player considering there is still no guarantee Brown & the BKN picks land you the star you need. At least in Cousins, you already have that superstar to build around.

Why haven't we traded Rudy yet at this point? His trade value diminishes by the day, and he's already adamant on not resigning.......
What's the point in keeping Gay? We're not winning with him. Are the 5 wins he'll add to our total really worth it?? The difference between the 3rd pick and the 6th pick because Vlade decides to keep Gay?? This is why the Kings are a losing franchise.

This draft class is going to be elite. The Kings have no real future with Cousins. None of the guys on our roster are long-term building blocks except WCS, Papagiannis, Skal, and Richardson. Only Willie has been able to get PT. We need to start this rebuild right now. I don't know what Vlade is doing, but we do know that he prepared the team with an escape hatch. Hopefully he pushes it soon...

Like any rookie, we don't know exactly where he'll end up, but it was promising to see him play well in the olympics as basically the #1 option while going up against NBA caliber talent. I think you're overlooking that shred of evidence here. He struggled in the championship against a team comprised of nothing but all-stars, but he had a promising & successful tournament.

per36: 57% TS% / 46% FG% / 37% 3PT% / 88% FT% / 16.8 PPG / 5.0 RPG / 3.9 APG / 1.7 SPG / 2.9 TOPG

Not too shabby when going up against a lot of NBA talent while the main focus of opposing teams is to shut him down...
The thing is outside of USA he didn't go up against a lot of NBA talent, most guys that played in the Olympics aren't NBA talents. I do agree he had a nice tournament but if your going to use this tournament as a way to judge him he struggled against USA twice and Australia. Just my guess but I think those are the two teams that he played that had the most NBA talent. IMO it's not fair to compare him to guys on the USA team but you can't really compare him to some of these other guys on teams he was playing because most won't even sniff the NBA.

My expectations for Bogdanovic is to come to the Kings as a boarderline starter/good player coming off the bench. I like him but think some here think he is the answer this team needs IF he comes over

The thing is outside of USA he didn't go up against a lot of NBA talent, most guys that played in the Olympics aren't NBA talents. I do agree he had a nice tournament but if your going to use this tournament as a way to judge him he struggled against USA twice and Australia. Just my guess but I think those are the two teams that he played that had the most NBA talent. IMO it's not fair to compare him to guys on the USA team but you can't really compare him to some of these other guys on teams he was playing because most won't even sniff the NBA.

My expectations for Bogdanovic is to come to the Kings as a boarderline starter/good player coming off the bench. I like him but think some here think he is the answer this team needs IF he comes over
I think Bogdanovic is going to be a good NBA player, but if the Kings don't finish at least around .450, I doubt we'll ever see Cousins and Bogdanovic play together.

If we do decide to trade Cousins, I could see Bogdanovic being pushed to be our #1 player alongside our rookie. There's a high chance he comes over next year. Will get PAID and he already said his plan is to play in the NBA.

Legit questions.

Either way Angie is no dummy he's trading Brown/'17Nets for Cousins without thinking twice. They'd be a top 4 team in the league
He may. But that IMO would be a lot of the offer. I'm valuing Rozier, Zizic and a first like Brown, they are solid prospects now

There's a high chance he comes over next year. Will get PAID and he already said his plan is to play in the NBA.
This is a real question do you have the link you can share where he said he plans to play in the NBA? Does that mean next season or does it mean at some point in his career?

I've posted this before but it's the most recent quote I can find from him talking about the NBA.

While the 24-year-old has the talent to play in the NBA, he wants to leave his mark on the Euroleague before he leaves. "I know how much I love basketball and going to NBA is the goal for every basketball player," Bogdanovic said. "But I rejected Phoenix Suns’ offer because, let’s be honest, I don’t want to go to NBA without a Euroleague trophy."

This is a real question do you have the link you can share where he said he plans to play in the NBA? Does that mean next season or does it mean at some point in his career?

I've posted this before but it's the most recent quote I can find from him talking about the NBA.

While the 24-year-old has the talent to play in the NBA, he wants to leave his mark on the Euroleague before he leaves. "I know how much I love basketball and going to NBA is the goal for every basketball player," Bogdanovic said. "But I rejected Phoenix Suns’ offer because, let’s be honest, I don’t want to go to NBA without a Euroleague trophy."
I thought a lot about staying in Fenerbahçe or going to NBA. When you make a career choice, there is no way back. You need to be sure that’s the best thing for you, you need to believe in your choice. Going to NBA is a big dream for me.
Vlade Divac does expect Bogdan Bogdanovic to be another year overseas. Drafted in 2014, he’s excited to have the rights to him.
Did he say he is specifically coming over next year? No. Did he say the NBA is a big dream of his? Yes. Does Vlade (who is obviously much closer to the situation than most) expect him to be another year (as in 1 more year)? Yes. Did it make absolute financial sense for Bogdanovic to decline the Suns offer and wait one more year (won't be on the rookie scale)? Yes. Did it make sense from a development standpoint for Bogdanovic to stay 1 more year (Suns had a crowded backcourt)? Yes.

Sorry, I didn't see a quote in your post (just a link to a thread). The onus is on you to provide the evidence if you're going to make claims like that. Not saying you're wrong, but you should put in the work if you're going to make accusations like that.

I think he can be a Ginobli-lite player and be a good sixth man scorer. That's really my hope for him, but if you're thinking he's going to come over and be a star, I would tell those people to not get their hopes up.

Last edited:
It seems like more people are getting on the trade Cousins wagon. I listend to a CK pocast with Leo Beas and Matt George and though their message was 3 times longer then it needed to be, they agree its time to part ways.

I do feel their comparing guards, Hardin and Westbrook ability to lead without great supporting cast to Cousins inability is somewhat off base. Of course they make teammates better, its their job to set them up.

Boston does appear the likely destination with their mix of youth and draft picks, however, and this could be smoke, I have heard they are reluctant to trade for Cousins? Id want a haul for Cousins in my opinion he is more valuable then Love, Deron Williams, or Anthony, players that some use as a gauge of what we should expect in trade value.

Last edited:
It seems like more people are getting on the trade Cousins wagon. I listend to a CK pocast with Leo Beas and Matt George and though their message was 3 times longer then it needed to be, they agree its time to part ways.

I do feel their comparing guards, Hardin and Westbrook ability to lead without great supporting cast to Cousins inability is somewhat off base. Of course they make teammates better, its their job to set them up.

Boston does appear the likely destination with their mix of youth and draft picks, however, and this could be smoke, I have heard they are reluctant to trade for Cousins? Id want a haul for Cousins in my opinion he is more valuable then Love, Deron Williams, or Anthony, players that some use as a gauge of what we should expect in trade value.
I think this is the part where it gets extremely tough. If you think about it, at the time, Kevin Love was considered the best PF in the NBA. Deron Williams was the best PG in the NBA(over CP3).

Cousins is the best C in the NBA right now. However, there are some faults to his game. He's not the most efficient scorer. Cuz is at 45.5% FG this season. On defense, he's gone from being really good to just average. Cousins isn't good enough on defense to guard PFs, and he's just an average shotblocker. He's definitely not a player you want going up for blocks because of potential foul troubles. I think Cousins has done a good job adapting to the new NBA styles, but it's still a work in progress. I just don't see a team out there willing to give up an entire farm for a star like Cousins.

Even though Cousins is a top 10 player, there's teams out there who would be willing to give up more for Damian Lillard(who isn't as good as Cousins). I don't know...but it's hard to explain his value. He's an amazingly good player, but I feel like he just wouldn't fetch as much as other stars would.

I think we see an offer similar to Kevin Love or Deron Williams. I have no doubt in my mind that if any of these teams: Dallas, Nets(Celts), or Wizards end up with the #1 pick, those teams would have no problem giving that up for Cousins... maybe even more too.

I think this is the part where it gets extremely tough. If you think about it, at the time, Kevin Love was considered the best PF in the NBA. Deron Williams was the best PG in the NBA(over CP3).

Cousins is the best C in the NBA right now. However, there are some faults to his game. He's not the most efficient scorer. Cuz is at 45.5% FG this season. On defense, he's gone from being really good to just average. Cousins isn't good enough on defense to guard PFs, and he's just an average shotblocker. He's definitely not a player you want going up for blocks because of potential foul troubles. I think Cousins has done a good job adapting to the new NBA styles, but it's still a work in progress. I just don't see a team out there willing to give up an entire farm for a star like Cousins.

Even though Cousins is a top 10 player, there's teams out there who would be willing to give up more for Damian Lillard(who isn't as good as Cousins). I don't know...but it's hard to explain his value. He's an amazingly good player, but I feel like he just wouldn't fetch as much as other stars would.

I think we see an offer similar to Kevin Love or Deron Williams. I have no doubt in my mind that if any of these teams: Dallas, Nets(Celts), or Wizards end up with the #1 pick, those teams would have no problem giving that up for Cousins... maybe even more too.
Point taken. I guess at the time those players were considered pretty good. I always believed the hardest positions to fill were PG and Center, so I might overvalue Cousins for that reason, however basketball has apparently changed?

Your mentioning the Wizards as a trade partner is an interesting idea. Not only should they have a high pick but Porter whos only 23 and I think a FA. We will need a SF with Gays departure.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Point taken. I guess at the time those players were considered pretty good. I always believed the hardest positions to fill were PG and Center, so I might overvalue Cousins for that reason, however basketball has apparently changed?

Your mentioning the Wizards as a trade partner is an interesting idea. Not only should they have a high pick but Porter whos only 23 and I think a FA. We will need a SF with Gays departure.
Otto Porter will be looking for near max money and will likely get it. The Kings might not even be able to retain him. I've always liked Porter but wouldn't want him in any Cousins trade given his contract situation.

Kevin Love isn't really a great comparison for Cousins for a couple reasons. One is that NBA GMs already knew what Tyson Chandler told the whole world during a halftime interview - that Love doesn't play any defense. The analytics reflected that. He also wasn't a guy who you could dump the ball into and tell him to go get a tough basket. He was a very good player putting up numbers on a good team and the smart money already knew that. But the Cavs also kind of had their hand forced by LeBron. He wasn't going to want to have to wait for Wiggins (or whoever went #1) to develop - his window was then and now and he wanted to win. So a bit of an odd situation in both regards.

Now Deron Williams was definitely considered one of the best PGs in the NBA at the time of that trade. And he netted the Jazz Derrick Favors (drafted a couple slots above Boogie and now a major piece for Utah), Devin Harris (who was averaging 15 ppg and 7.6 apg at the time) and two first round picks.

That's not a bad comparison for what Cousins should fetch. Boogie is young, has been free of major injuries and really doesn't have a lot of holes in his game. He can score from inside or outside, pass the ball, is a great rebounder and (unlike Love) the analytics show the same thing the eye test does - he's become a very effective defender.

This year's draft class has been disappointing and Jaylen Brown was a bit of a surprise to go third. I figured he'd actually slip to the Kings at 8. Either way, he's not as valuable a trade piece as Favors was though the pick swap and unprotected Nets pick are likely to be better value picks than what the Nets gave the Jazz. Devin Harris was a pretty good starter - I'd value him a bit above Rozier.

So to me, the two picks, Brown, Rozier and Zizic (with Amir Johnson thrown in for salary reasons) is a pretty reasonable comparison. Especially when you consider that (a) Cousins is a talented big which traditional wisdom says has more value than an equally talented guard (b) the Nets didn't yet have a team around Williams and the Celtics wouldn't lose a single starter or their top 2 or 3 bench players in this deal and (c) Ainge has long had a strategy of accumulating assets for exactly this reason - to trade them for major pieces.

If the Celtics need a backup PG to fill in for Rozier then the Kings can throw in Lawson as he doesn't affect the cap considerations around the trade.

This is the first season I've ever wanted to see the Kings explore a Cousins trade and while I think it's now not only the right move but imperative to do so, I'll be sad if it actually happens and root for his success with Boston. But in my mind this is a very fair deal that helps both franchises - one to get over the hump and the other to restock assets for a rebuild. Because if the Kings don't move Boogie they'll likely be forced into a rebuild soon anyway, and possibly with Cousins signing elsewhere and leaving them with no big chip to trade to start that rebuild.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

When has Cousins ever been really good on defense? He is average on some nights and below average on others, it's all a mindset with him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I don't see the Wizards letting Porter go in FA. They just signed Beal to a huge deal, I can see them building their core around Wall, Beal & Porter as their focal points.

Otto Porter will be looking for near max money and will likely get it. The Kings might not even be able to retain him. I've always liked Porter but wouldn't want him in any Cousins trade given his contract situation.

Kevin Love isn't really a great comparison for Cousins for a couple reasons. One is that NBA GMs already knew what Tyson Chandler told the whole world during a halftime interview - that Love doesn't play any defense. The analytics reflected that. He also wasn't a guy who you could dump the ball into and tell him to go get a tough basket. He was a very good player putting up numbers on a good team and the smart money already knew that. But the Cavs also kind of had their hand forced by LeBron. He wasn't going to want to have to wait for Wiggins (or whoever went #1) to develop - his window was then and now and he wanted to win. So a bit of an odd situation in both regards.

Now Deron Williams was definitely considered one of the best PGs in the NBA at the time of that trade. And he netted the Jazz Derrick Favors (drafted a couple slots above Boogie and now a major piece for Utah), Devin Harris (who was averaging 15 ppg and 7.6 apg at the time) and two first round picks.

That's not a bad comparison for what Cousins should fetch. Boogie is young, has been free of major injuries and really doesn't have a lot of holes in his game. He can score from inside or outside, pass the ball, is a great rebounder and (unlike Love) the analytics show the same thing the eye test does - he's become a very effective defender.

This year's draft class has been disappointing and Jaylen Brown was a bit of a surprise to go third. I figured he'd actually slip to the Kings at 8. Either way, he's not as valuable a trade piece as Favors was though the pick swap and unprotected Nets pick are likely to be better value picks than what the Nets gave the Jazz. Devin Harris was a pretty good starter - I'd value him a bit above Rozier.

So to me, the two picks, Brown, Rozier and Zizic (with Amir Johnson thrown in for salary reasons) is a pretty reasonable comparison. Especially when you consider that (a) Cousins is a talented big which traditional wisdom says has more value than an equally talented guard (b) the Nets didn't yet have a team around Williams and the Celtics wouldn't lose a single starter or their top 2 or 3 bench players in this deal and (c) Ainge has long had a strategy of accumulating assets for exactly this reason - to trade them for major pieces.

If the Celtics need a backup PG to fill in for Rozier then the Kings can throw in Lawson as he doesn't affect the cap considerations around the trade.

This is the first season I've ever wanted to see the Kings explore a Cousins trade and while I think it's now not only the right move but imperative to do so, I'll be sad if it actually happens and root for his success with Boston. But in my mind this is a very fair deal that helps both franchises - one to get over the hump and the other to restock assets for a rebuild. Because if the Kings don't move Boogie they'll likely be forced into a rebuild soon anyway, and possibly with Cousins signing elsewhere and leaving them with no big chip to trade to start that rebuild.
If the time has come to move Cuz, Boston might find your price a bit steep but I like the outcome. We would most certainly keep our own pick this year as well in a good draft. One of the picks will nab a PG to bring up with Rozier. Thats a team right there.

See what we can get for Rudy, Kosta, and Omri, and let Afflalo and Tolliver walk. Temple is good value and Ben and Darren are welcome but there FA price probably wont be matched. Let the youth rebuild begin.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Trading all of our vets and getting youth and picks would be like getting an expansion team. We would be terrible for another 5 years at least. Trade Gay first and see what happens. Blowing it all up is a terrible idea and not practical.

Trading all of our vets and getting youth and picks would be like getting an expansion team. We would be terrible for another 5 years at least. Trade Gay first and see what happens. Blowing it all up is a terrible idea and not practical.
Thankfully there is no relegation system in the NBA so being like an expansion team for a few years doesn't really matter that much, if you leave the fear of alienating the fanbase out of it.
The Sixers did stockpile quite a few assets doing just that. The Lakers used Kobe's late career years to get some nice young pieces to move forward.
So basically blowing it up is practical and possible. It's just a concept most fans, including myself, can't get behind, because they want all those years of suffering with DMC to be worth something. All those years I rooted for this team in the hope, that one day DMC could retaliate on all his doubters and haters and could lead a Kings playoff surge with a competent team around him.
Maybe I'm just naive or have problems to admit the obvious, but I don't want DMC to leave. There got to be one of this great underdog against all odds happy ends after all those years. For once reality should be like a damn hollywood movie please.....

But let me add:
If we really start all over again, the first thing we need to do is to find a FO combination, that can actually strike gold in the draft. Wether the current FO is able to do that, is up to more expierenced persons to decide than me. I'm hesitant to judge Vlade's decisions right now. But if Vlade is not the guy we are looking for, chances are, that we stumble right into the next turnmoil as a franchise, because our owner hasn't shown the ability to hire the right people and our coach came here to coach a team not in a rebuilding phase.
Simply not the perfect prerequisites for a rebuild.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If Boogie was older then I would be more inclined to deal him....but he's not....and I don't subscribe to the him leaving. I think the best option is continuing to draft, sign Bogdanovich, keep developing the young guys correctly, somehow land a higher level PG. Meanwhile, during the free agencies, it would take 1 signing to help turn the corner.

If Boogie was older then I would be more inclined to deal him....but he's not....and I don't subscribe to the him leaving. I think the best option is continuing to draft, sign Bogdanovich, keep developing the young guys correctly, somehow land a higher level PG. Meanwhile, during the free agencies, it would take 1 signing to help turn the corner.
One can hope, that Vlade and Boogie are both pretty straightforward, honest guys, leading to Vlade having a better idea than most fans how his franchise player will react to just another roster turnover and a couple more years of trying to build team around him. Hopefully they both communicate frequently and involve Joerger into everything too. Than and only than it's worth to take the risk of keeping Boogie beyond next years offseason.
The Gay dilemma might be different...

Status
Not open for further replies.