Countdown to the trade deadline (Feb 19) Will the Kings make a trade?

Will the King make a trade by the deadline?

• Total voters
How about this compromise for NYK?

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5020014

Miller, BJax, and K9 for James and Marbury... They get a little expiring salary and ditch James, the Kings get a lot of expiring and ditch K9 in addition to Miller....
I'm just not sure there's enough incentive for New York to take on Brad. They're going to have to deal with Nate and Lee being due for extensions, and they're not trying to win short term. I'm sure they would want us to take back Jeffries in exchange for Miller, which of course, we wouldn't do.

I'm pretty sure Marbury isn't getting traded. I also don't really like the trade rumors with Nate Robinson involved. We don't need another mediocre point guard in our lineup. We already have enough.

I'm pretty sure Marbury isn't getting traded. I also don't really like the trade rumors with Nate Robinson involved. We don't need another mediocre point guard in our lineup. We already have enough.
I would consider Nate better than Mediocre....

Nate Robinson - 16 ppg, 4 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.70 TO

Beno Udrih - 10.8 ppg, 2.60 rpg, 4.3 apg, 2.27 TO

Sure the guy could learn to pass a little better but he doesn't turn the ball over much. I'll take a young point guard who can dunk, rebound, and score 16 ppg any day.

I would consider Nate better than Mediocre....

Nate Robinson - 16 ppg, 4 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.70 TO

Beno Udrih - 10.8 ppg, 2.60 rpg, 4.3 apg, 2.27 TO

Sure the guy could learn to pass a little better but he doesn't turn the ball over much. I'll take a young point guard who can dunk, rebound, and score 16 ppg any day.
Think those numbers might be a little inflated because he plays in the Seven Seconds or Less Offense? I say we trade for him then send him to Golden State for Brandan Wright

I heard Rashad McCants might be in the mix to come here, and while that's not a lifesaving move, it's not a totally bad move either. I would take the risk of trading Douby and Williams for him. I think that McCants', while he does have a loser's game--undersized shotjacker who wavers on defense, makes bad decisions, and is a black hole--can actually bring some scoring punch off the bench for us backing up KMart; BJax is too old to continue any sort of scoring binges, and BBrown has been a huge disappointment. I think Petrie sees a little bit of Cat Mobley in him. Besides, he's only 24, and even though he duplicates many of the aspects of what's bad on our team (undersized, screws D, only goes for one-on-one O), I think the near future we can parlay him into better assets, much like we are doing with Salmons right now.

Among the starters, I think only Salmons will be the only one shipped by the trade deadline. Brad, Mikki, and K9s contracts will still have a lot suitors after this season since all will be expiring next season. Petrie seems not to be rushing up things.

Let's face it, there's no sense of urgency for the Kings to make a trade. I get a sense of resignation over the rest of this year, from the top on down. Petrie, Natt and the Maloofs are somber, beaten down, defeated men. This has to be the worst point in franchise history. Meanwhile, The Thunder are adding nicely to their talent base with Tyson Chandler to go with young upstarts Jeff Green, Westbrook and Kevin Durant. WOW!!!

The Oklahoma Thunder are light years ahead of the Kings in terms of talent and potential!

How bad do you suck when you are dramatically WORSE than a team with a record of 13-40???!

And you know times are bad when Rashard McCants (WHO???) would be an upgrade.

Think those numbers might be a little inflated because he plays in the Seven Seconds or Less Offense? I say we trade for him then send him to Golden State for Brandan Wright
Actually, they are not really.

Compared to last year, those are about his numbers.

Last season
12.7 ppg - 3.1 rpg - 2.9 apg - 1.4 TOpg - 26.2 mpg

This season
16 ppg - 4rpg - 3.8 apg - 1.7 TOpg - 29.5 mpg

So when you really look at it, his per minute production is roughly the same last year compared to this year.

Two different offenses for pretty much the same production.

Its no secret that the Kings have liked Nate Robinson for some time. Even last year when Artest was linked to the Knicks, it was reported that Kings wanted Nate included in any potential deals.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Heck yes to KryptoNate!

I would be thrilled to have the guy on my team.
Selfishly, of course, as he would add some excitement to this snoozefest of a team. Not really sure if he makes us much better.
But more excitement for sure!

And if we can get McCants for Douby and Mikki?
Why not?

Punch off the bench to put next to Cisco.

i have been reading alot of blogs there was mention that if we did do a trade with the knicks it would be miller and k9 if that was the case i think the kings should take back james because he has a player option for next year and he would be stupid to not to pick it up but its only 6 mill and off the books in 2010 his six mil next year is better the k9 and millers combined for next year

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alright...so the moments of truth have finally arrived. Alas I think at least three deals would be required to excise all the garbage on the roster, and wiht only 36 hours left, we'll be lucky if we get off one (amazingly it seems those big enders are all being peddled for star level players (Marion for Jermain, Szcerbiak for Amare or Bosh or Jamison, LaFrentz for Carter etc.) ratehr than for our garbage).

But hope springs eternal, no? :p

Alright...so the moments of truth have finally arrived. Alas I think at least three deals would be required to excise all the garbage on the roster, and wiht only 36 hours left, we'll be lucky if we get off one (amazingly it seems those big enders are all being peddled for star level players (Marion for Jermain, Szcerbiak for Amare or Bosh or Jamison, LaFrentz for Carter etc.) ratehr than for our garbage).

But hope springs eternal, no? :p
With enders being such a commodity... maybe the Kings should hang on to Miller, Moore, and K9 until next season... Then they can use them to land a big name.

Bricklayer

With enders being such a commodity... maybe the Kings should hang on to Miller, Moore, and K9 until next season... Then they can use them to land a big name.

By the time that happens it will be 50/50 whether they will still need to take off their shoes to count the fans in Arco, and the relocation bid for Anaheim wil already be in the mail. And that's IF enders are such a great thing next year.

I think everything's being complicated by the economy. The problem for a lot of owners is the fact that the salary and luxury tax caps are going to go down next year. Yet almost all their players have contracts that pay them more each year. So taking on any contracts for longer terms than their current contracts is not very attractive for any team.

Over half the franchises are supposedly going to be in the red this year. Some are having trouble paying for current operations. That's why the league has just offered lines of credit to teams.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61537

Pro franchises are hobbies for rich folks. Well, most of those rich folks aren't just seeing their teams as money losers, their investments and other business ventures are likely losing big, too. I'm sure the Maloofs are probably finding that their recent expansion of the Palms couldn't have happened at a worse time.

24 Hours left... and now what? Still no trades league wide since 24 hours ago... a lot of chatter about questionable deals with the Bulls and Knicks, but nothing too exciting. C'mon Geoff, work some magic! The Kings need it!

I've gone from hoping the Kings would just make a trade already to hoping they don't make the horrendous trades that have been rumored this morning.

22 hours left.... tick tock! Lots more chatter involving the Nets, Bulls, Knicks, and OKC, but nothing has happened league-wide yet today... makes me wonder if a blockbuster trade is in the works somewhere slowing this whole mess down... c'mon Geoff!

20.5 hours left... John "Pass the ball!" Salmons and Brad "Yawn" Miller are gone for a bunch of PF's from Chicago... my genuine hope is that in the next 20 hours, some moves can be made to get rid of some PF's like Moore and K9 (yeah, right) and maybe PG Beno Udrih.... C'mon, Geoff... you are still in the game, it is not time for a steak dinner, but time to keep working! Let's do this!

No, to save the owners millions of $$$. I know that isn't popular, but they aren't your millions, either.
They are not saving anything. They are simply paying it over a more spaced out period. Same amount of money going when it's all said and done.

Really, there are no excuses for this. It's absolutely farcical. If there were no better deals out there, we should have hung onto them.

No, to save the owners millions of $$$. I know that isn't popular, but they aren't your millions, either.

That's not the right attitude to have towards a team you love. I know they are trying to cut costs but if they do it at the expense of ever being good then what's the use of owning a basketball team?

What I don't understand is why they didn't do the Mason trade if they wanted to cut costs. I understand that this is a business, but now they're gonna be paying Nocioni (who I actually like btw, just not a good piece for a rebuilding team) for 3+ years. Anyway, if we can get a good FA this offseason, preferably Sessions, then I'll be ok with this.

Bricklayer

What I don't understand is why they didn't do the Mason trade if they wanted to cut costs. I understand that this is a business, but now they're gonna be paying Nocioni (who I actually like btw, just not a good piece for a rebuilding team) for 3+ years. Anyway, if we can get a good FA this offseason, preferably Sessions, then I'll be ok with this.

It is baffling isn't it.

It may make us minor players in free agency this summer, which I thought was maybe a better move than gambling on 2010. But then we have to be willing to spend on a FA over the summer or even that is not true. And with no picks, or young players of interest, it looks like just another big pile of middling undersized PF crap similar to the infamous grouping Geoff came up with a few years back.

They are not saving anything. They are simply paying it over a more spaced out period. Same amount of money going when it's all said and done.
More spaced out can save them from being over the luxury tax. Caps are going to start dropping next year. With the salary cap dropping starting next year they could have less and less room to do anything even if they managed to stay under the dropping luxury cap. This franchise is hemorrhaging money. Estimated loss of at least $25 million this year, even though they cut operating costs. Maybe they should just go bankrupt like our last ownership group was close to before selling?

I believe they love the team and want to win, but there is even a financial can't cross line for rich people when it comes to their hobbies, especially when they are getting much less rich daily.

Last edited: