Chicago fire sale begins?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

dude straight up just named the first four big market teams he could think of
I guess at least they all have big contracts that they wouldn't mind losing (for LaVine at least) that they can package. None of those teams has much in the way of picks to supplement the deal so most of the deals I can see that match money are a bit short on the return, but at least those aren't impossible destinations.

I figure the Warriors would instantly send Chris Paul's pseudo-expiring (plus another ~$10M, probably would have to start with Kuminga and maybe Moody), I can squint and see it
Lakers package would presumably center around Rui and Reaves (harder to squint and see this one)
A Heat package around Herro might actually be the best deal out there unless the Bulls are after expiring contracts
Philly might be the toughest of them all, because unless they want to send Tobias' expiring, their next best package is a load of Morris/Covington/Batum - either way it's the straight up fire sale you mentioned

I know a lot of Kings fans hungry for Caruso. Not even sure what the Bucks have left.
Some of the stat nerds on twitter think he could get 2 FRP (LOL), but I think his value is probably around a late first from a contender. I do think Davion+2 2nds is a pretty interesting offer from their perspective, especially if they fully blow this thing up. Get a year and a half to look at Davion if he can be a long-term option for them

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The only way Caruso returns 2 FRP is if he's a throw in in the Lavine deal. He's 29 and won't start so that's just not realistic at all.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's probably not that they think we don't know how good Keegan is, it's just that they don't actually know how good Keegan is and they think they'd be buying a project. They're only a few years out from their own most recent #4 pick so I imagine their baseline is a bit off. If you changed that to Patrick Williams, Harrison Barnes, and 3 FRPs it might not sound so ridiculous.

Some of the stat nerds on twitter think he could get 2 FRP (LOL), but I think his value is probably around a late first from a contender. I do think Davion+2 2nds is a pretty interesting offer from their perspective, especially if they fully blow this thing up. Get a year and a half to look at Davion if he can be a long-term option for them
they did just sign Jevon Carter to a three year deal. I guess it depends on whether or not they want to totally blow it up or do a soft rebuild like they normally do. If I were them Id trade Derozan etc mostly for young players and then use my own draft picks to strike in the lottery.

Would like to find a way to make a Caruso+Pat Williams for Harrison+Davion trade. I don’t know what else is included but the salaries straight up are not far off.
Fox
Sabonis
Huerter
Keegan
PWilliams
Caruso
Monk
Vezenkov
Lyles
That rotation is balanced and nasty. PWilliams and Keegan would make each other better. Both have slept on ceilings.

Lavine certainly would be an interesting addition to our team should that happen. Players like him don’t grow on trees and he’s a pretty solid shooter too. This would be it though, our big move to push us to potential contender status and so you have to ask yourself, is Zach Lavine the guy to push us past the point of a good team to a damn good team that could win it all? It’s not a sure fire yes for me and I love the guy. But if he can be had cheaply enough then you have to take the risk. He’s too good to not give it a try at the right price.

Lavine certainly would be an interesting addition to our team should that happen. Players like him don’t grow on trees and he’s a pretty solid shooter too. This would be it though, our big move to push us to potential contender status and so you have to ask yourself, is Zach Lavine the guy to push us past the point of a good team to a damn good team that could win it all? It’s not a sure fire yes for me and I love the guy. But if he can be had cheaply enough then you have to take the risk. He’s too good to not give it a try at the right price.
The other question is who is out there at that level that hopefully doesn't cost too much? If Monte can land on a team of Fox/Keegan/Domas/other star that should be the plan. If a team is willing to throw top shelf youth/expirings/picks at the Bulls then have at it Bulls. I'd be surprised if LaVine got that at this point but who knows. Much like with Beal, the injury history, impact questions, and contract should make it doable. One would also think the Bulls aren't looking to rebuild but rather reload so they'll want some players that can help now if that's the case.

Lavine would be a great pickup. He's a proven three-level scorer that can play #1A/1B with Fox or be a clear cut #2. He's an elite shot creator and most of his makes are unassisted. Imagine having someone other than Fox that can create a shot at crunch time. Imagine Sabonis getting him open shots. Considering our struggles when Fox was out, I would love to have someone like Lavine that can play the #1 option just fine. Offensively, the possibilities are endless.

The cons are his defense and huge contract. I believe Mike and his staff can get him to play defense at a decent level. He has all the tools.

The other question is who is out there at that level that hopefully doesn't cost too much? If Monte can land on a team of Fox/Keegan/Domas/other star that should be the plan. If a team is willing to throw top shelf youth/expirings/picks at the Bulls then have at it Bulls. I'd be surprised if LaVine got that at this point but who knows. Much like with Beal, the injury history, impact questions, and contract should make it doable. One would also think the Bulls aren't looking to rebuild but rather reload so they'll want some players that can help now if that's the case.
I genuinely like the guy and I think he is a great player in a pretty bad system. Offensively, he would fit in extremely well and probably have the easiest time of his career in terms of easy shots due to our system and how we play. The question would be can he help enough on the defensive end of things to make it all work? You would be asking Fox to be the lead defensive guard and lead offensive guard if he isn't up to the challenge as Barnes isn't stopping anyone and Domas is limited. It would be up to Keegan and Fox to be our defensive workhorses. If Brown believed he could get Lavine to buy in defensively, then you do it, because the rest of it matches up extremely well for both Lavine and the Kings. I concur, guys like him aren't available that often and if the asking price isn't insane, then at minimum we should attempt to make it happen.

Definitely like the idea of LaVine on this group..i would put together a Huerter, HB, picks package for LaVine. Don’t want to move Keegan.

unlikely to get it done.

outside of that I don’t much care for their pieces.

I still like Patrick Williams potential but his contract ends this season and he hasn’t really shown to be worth the QO to make a him restricted.

I think Zach LaVine is underrated because we only get to see the Bulls play twice a year. He's a 2x NBA All-Star who gets forgotten because he played for some bad Bulls teams throughout his career. He's a 3-level scorer who's 24ppg scorer. I think he's easily your 3rd best player on a contending team.

I don't think he's the perfect fit next to Fox and Sabonis, but it's hard to pass up on his talent and scoring ability. We saw how much the Kings struggled to score without Fox. We're heavily reliant on Fox to work his scoring magic down the stretch. If he gets taken away, our 2nd scoring option immediately becomes unclear. Last year we became a team that was reliant on 3pters to win games, but we have to find ways to win without the 3pt shot.

I would offer Huerter + Barnes + Davion + Colby + 2026 1st round + 2028 1st round (top 10 protected)

Ugh, not the Zach Lavine thing again. If we're doing a star trade, go get something we already don't have on the team like a Pascal or OG.

Monk

23.9 MPG
26.4% USG
34.9% AST
56.5% TS
.381 FTr

Per/36
21.4 PPG
8.2 APG
4.2 RPG
36.5% 3pt

Lavine
35.5 MPG
27.5% USG
13.5% Ast
54.3% TS
.342 FTr

Per/36
22.5 PPG
3.1 APG
4.9 RPG
30.9% 3pt

The only argument you have is Monk's minutes are still relatively low and he still has to answer if he can sustain this at 30+ MPG. But he basically did in the playoffs AND BROWN SHOULD BE PLAYING HIM MORE ANYWAY. Lavine is a name value at this point, he's certainly not worth a star package.

I think Caruso actually impacts the Kings winning more than Lavine does. Because no one on the Kings is even in the same breath as Caruso defensively (maybe Keegs though?) and he adds an actual lock-down defender to the rotation. We score 130+ with ease every other game, we don't need to reshape the offense.

Ugh, not the Zach Lavine thing again. If we're doing a star trade, go get something we already don't have on the team like a Pascal or OG.

Monk

23.9 MPG
26.4% USG
34.9% AST
56.5% TS
.381 FTr

Per/36
21.4 PPG
8.2 APG
4.2 RPG
36.5% 3pt

Lavine
35.5 MPG
27.5% USG
13.5% Ast
54.3% TS
.342 FTr

Per/36
22.5 PPG
3.1 APG
4.9 RPG
30.9% 3pt

The only argument you have is Monk's minutes are still relatively low and he still has to answer if he can sustain this at 30+ MPG. But he basically did in the playoffs AND BROWN SHOULD BE PLAYING HIM MORE ANYWAY. Lavine is a name value at this point, he's certainly not worth a star package.

I think Caruso actually impacts the Kings winning more than Lavine does. Because no one on the Kings is even in the same breath as Caruso defensively (maybe Keegs though?) and he adds an actual lock-down defender to the rotation. We score 130+ with ease every other game, we don't need to reshape the offense.
Those numbers are a small game sample size from this season. LaVine is a 2x All-Star with his last appearance being from 2022. He is not just a "name value." It's like when everyone was surprised that Domas, another 2x All-Star was actually a good player when he got traded here.

Monk played 28mpg with the Lakers 2 years ago and still only averaged 13.8ppg. He is not some secret 24ppg scorer. This is going to sound brutal, but there's a reason why he's been on 3 teams in 7 years and hasn't started any full seasons.

I don't like going after Pascal because he's a poor offensive fit next to both Fox and Sabonis. I like OG a lot, but Masai probably demands Keegan in return. Unless you're willing to part ways with Keegan, I don't think a Huerter package would entice them very much.

Would Vuc make sense for OKC? They need rebounding/size next to Chet plus his salary is not that massive.
He would work on the team, but I think he's just too old for them. OKC seems dedicated to their youth movement and aren't really worried about being contenders this season. They are playing really good basketball, but I think they'd rather ride out their core of young players.

I just don't see the appeal of Zach Lavine in a Kings jersey. AT ALL. I mean, this franchise has finally built a winner! Why would the Kings chase a guy who has never been a proven winner at any point of his career? Aren't we now passed the days of being a rehabilitation center for those good-on-a-bad team types to try to revitalize their careers?

If Monte wants to chase a star with a proper track record on the defensive end, I'd be all for it. But I just can't fathom the necessity of Lavine in a Kings uni with Malik Monk already on the roster. I certainly wouldn't give up any future firsts for a duplicative talent like that.