Changes in the Defense

The trio of Lawson, Afflalo and especially Barnes have helped. Coach J has much higher expectations for playing defense than any coach that has been around the Kings in recent memory. It seems like the increased defensive intensity naturally leads to better rebounding. The team seems to be playing much better in the fourth quarter when they have tended to fade in the past. What do you see in terms of changes in the defense so far?

Certainly the import of a few players that are good defenders but most importantly a high level of emphasis by the head cach and his staff. It's not just new players, it's all our players contributing to team defense - on coaching an example is replacing all starters at once when things aren't going well. They are getting good results which should help them keep up the effort.

The trio of Lawson, Afflalo and especially Barnes have helped. Coach J has much higher expectations for playing defense than any coach that has been around the Kings in recent memory. It seems like the increased defensive intensity naturally leads to better rebounding. The team seems to be playing much better in the fourth quarter when they have tended to fade in the past. What do you see in terms of changes in the defense so far?
Your not going to see it. But they are working mostly on defense in practice.

It's only a few games in, but the Kings are currently 8th in the league in opponents PPG and under 100. When was the last time we saw it?

To me, the #1 ingredient for the improved defense is mindset and effort. That is instilled from the head coach. When you see a player like Rudy Gay -- who is not known for consistent effort on that end of the floor -- making some of the defensive plays he did last night, it's obvious. The addition of better defenders is just an added bonus.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
for starters, bringing in players that are known to be defenders and not just accepting offensive players to turn into defensive players all of a sudden. The culture change from top to bottom was known from day one, you either buy in or you won't play, regardless of the player.

Im pretty sure its a combination of the head coach instilling a defensive identity in the team and the newly added, defensively capable cast in afflalo, barnes, temple, and....Ty Lawson?! Since when does Lawson get into the body of the opposing guard? Its pretty clear that when guys like Ty and Rudy are consistently putting in work on D that the culture of the team is changing.

I agree with pretty much everything said already. I would like to add that we are averaging 14.3 TO's a game thru the 1st 3. Coach has made taking care of the ball a priority and by limiting turnovers you give your defense a chance to get set.

For comparison Spurs 12.3 , Cavs 14 , Warriors 15.3
Considering our pg depth, major roster overhaul, new system, new coach etc...

That's pretty impressive if it can be maintained.

Less switching and more movement of the feet.
I see our big men roaming around the key more and not paying that much attention to opposing centers that are not primary scorers.