Burke or McCollum?

If the choice was between either of these two who would you take and why?

I go back and forth on this... McCollum imo is a better fit next to Tyreke as he has the ability to play with or without the ball in his hands. CJ also has the edge in shooting and defense. Burke whoever has the advantage of being, in my opinion, the most nba ready of the two. His level of comp was far and away better and he'll be asked to do pretty much the exact same thing in the pros that he did in college... he projects well in that regard.

My generic comparisons here is Damian Lillard vs Devin Harris.

I really like the idea and fit of McCollum if his game translates, even more than Burke. But that's a big IF, so I'd side with Burke but just barely.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Its my belief that the Kings are going to draft McCollum. I think they're looking for a Mike Bibby type of PG, and McCollum comes closer to that than Burke, who I like a lot, does. I mean if the idea is to put the ball in Tyreke's or Cousins hands more, then you have to go with McCollum. He's a team guy, that plays very well without the ball in his hands. He knows when to shoot, and when not to. Athleticly, their pretty even, but McCollum is taller at 6'3.25" vrs 6'1". I think both guys are capable of playing in the NBA right away. Don't know about the minutes.

I still wish we could land Adams somehow. When compared to all the bigs in the draft, he had the best defense in the post numbers, allowing his opponet to score on only 25% of his possessions. The four best post defenders were Adams, Noel, Withey, and Dieng. Two best shotblockers, were Noel and Withey. The surprise was that Jeff Withey had the highest percentage offensively at the basket shooting well over 70%. Too bad we didn't bring in Withey for a looksee..

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Its my belief that the Kings are going to draft McCollum. I think they're looking for a Mike Bibby type of PG, and McCollum comes closer to that than Burke, who I like a lot, does. I mean if the idea is to put the ball in Tyreke's or Cousins hands more, then you have to go with McCollum. He's a team guy, that plays very well without the ball in his hands. He knows when to shoot, and when not to. Athleticly, their pretty even, but McCollum is taller at 6'3.25" vrs 6'1". I think both guys are capable of playing in the NBA right away. Don't know about the minutes.

I still wish we could land Adams somehow. When compared to all the bigs in the draft, he had the best defense in the post numbers, allowing his opponet to score on only 25% of his possessions. The four best post defenders were Adams, Noel, Withey, and Dieng. Two best shotblockers, were Noel and Withey. The surprise was that Jeff Withey had the highest percentage offensively at the basket shooting well over 70%. Too bad we didn't bring in Withey for a looksee..
I'm flying blind, but the more I hear from you and others, I'd go with Adams over McCollum. If McCollum isn't as good as Burke, and Burke probably isn't as good as IT (my own opinion) , I don't see the rationale for McCollum, unless McCollum is a very good defender of point guards. It's highly doubtful that McCollum is a better ballhandler than Thomas, so if you do have a McCollum-Tyreke backcourt, net-net you lose ballhandling and ability to break pressure.
What do you get in return? A better shooter than Thomas?

I'd rather take the guy who is a project with a high ceiling rather than a role player. Role players can be found in FA. Legit starters are much harder to come by. Go with someone like Adams.

I am in agreement with you... I too would like both McCollum and Adams, but that's just me being greedy. This draft can play out in so many different fashions, we won't know who will be a King until Thursday night!

1. Cavs-Noel
2. Magic- McLemore (now they have made trade for Affalo seems only unlikely)
3. DC- Bennett (why cuzz Wall said so)
4. Char- Happy cuzz they know porter is fallin in their laps and are trying to rid themselves of MKG
5. Pho- Oladipo (only for sure I can think of)
6. NOLA- Burke
7. Kings- Len or McCollumn

McCollum is the answer in one unique way, acquiring him would allow us to move Thornton, Fredette and Thomas more painlessly than any other pick. It's persuasive for me.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
McCollum checks all the wrong boxes for me. Senior, small school, shoot-first PG. And I know he only played less than half a season this year, but almost all of his numbers are down. Hardly anybody had him as a top 10 pick this year until workouts and I agree he's very intelligent and well-spoken, but that doesn't make him a better player. I'm not going to pass judgement about him without really knowing how he plays, but I get the impression he's getting a sizable boost from Damian Lillard winning ROY last year even though there's a list a mile long of similar players who have failed in the NBA. I'm not going to condemn the pick, I just don't feel good about it.

Trey Burke looks the part of an NBA PG with his balance of scoring and playmaking -- I wouldn't feel bad about picking him, but I'm not thrilled about the idea either. Is he really going to be that much better than Isaiah Thomas? He's a better on-ball defender, but he's had his own problems trying to check bigger guards. He dominated the ball in college, is he going to sacrifice some of that playmaking role to Tyreke? No doubt he's talented, but I think there's similar talent there that would help us more. If we really want to bring in a new PG and keep Tyreke off the ball, I'd like to see us go out and acquire somebody who is a better fit. Someone bigger, stronger, more defensive minded, more familiar with the requirements of running an NBA team.

So the answer for me is I wouldn't pick either one at #7, but if I were forced to I'd rather we go with the safer pick in Trey Burke. Most people are confident he'll at least be a league average starting PG.

Burke is as a better playmaker/distributor, to be certain. I don't like drafting players based upon who they will potentially be playing with, as rosters fluctuate. Brick also made a quality case why a shoot first pg might not mix well with Reke. Defensively they are similar - they aren't quick but have heart and give adequate effort. I'll take Burke, but I understand the chances are more likely we will see McCollum in purple and black due to selection or the staff's choice

1. Cavs-Noel
4. Char- Happy cuzz they know porter is fallin in their laps and are trying to rid themselves of MKG
6. NOLA- Burke
Oh man, we'd be so lucky if Len fell to us. Anyway, regarding the topic of the thread: whoever has more trade value.

1. Cavs-Noel
6. NOLA- Burke
Willing to bet money Len will NOT be around at 7. Doubt he'll be there past 4.

And at 7? Burke, without any hesitation.

Someone's falling and it will not be Bennett

Willing to bet money Len will NOT be around at 7. Doubt he'll be there past 4.

And at 7? Burke, without any hesitation.
sw
"IF" Len goes #2 to Magic, then it will be a choice of Burke, McLemore, or McCollum. Before process I would have said Burke, the idea of what McCollum could be has pushed him over the top for me.

I would choose Burke but not by a ton. I really like the way that Burke can handle an offense yet has the skills and smarts to play off the ball as well. His turnover ratio was incredible despite being the only facilitator on his team. He could get his own shot when needed yet still did a very good job of getting others involved. I like McCollum as a prospect and won't be upset if he's drafted, but I definitely have Burke a little higher.

If we get back in the first round and pick up Dieng I'll be really happy with a lot of guys at 7 ;)

I don't think Len is making it past 1 to be honest.

And agreed, Burke if he's available at 7
You and I think alike. If Cavs keep the 1st pick and if they take Noel over Len, I'd be very, very surprised. The earlier Len goes, the better off the Kings are at getting Burke, IMO.

I actually agree with you 100% on this one! Unless there is a big slider that we absolutely love (eg Porter or Noel) I am very confident that we will draft McCollum!

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Sigh. Another draft, another guard. I also vote for neither, but if we're going to waste a pick on a guard, might as well be one that operates well without the ball, and that would be McCollum.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
McCollum is the answer in one unique way, acquiring him would allow us to move Thornton, Fredette and Thomas more painlessly than any other pick. It's persuasive for me.
I see it in the exact opposite way. McCollum is redundant with Jimmer and Thornton (not IT). He may be a better and improved version of those type of players, but in general he's along the same lines. So if you pick him you now have three redundant pieces instead of two. Does that make it easier to trade one of the pieces? If anything, it seems like it would force your hand to trade one of those pieces, and good trades usually aren't made because you are forced into it. On the other hand, maybe the Kings end up trading Jimmer or Thornton before the draft and they only end up with two similar guys in Thornton and McCollum after the draft. That strategy would seems preferable.

McCollum checks all the wrong boxes for me. Senior, small school, shoot-first PG. And I know he only played less than half a season this year, but almost all of his numbers are down. Hardly anybody had him as a top 10 pick this year until workouts and I agree he's very intelligent and well-spoken, but that doesn't make him a better player. I'm not going to pass judgement about him without really knowing how he plays, but I get the impression he's getting a sizable boost from Damian Lillard winning ROY last year even though there's a list a mile long of similar players who have failed in the NBA. I'm not going to condemn the pick, I just don't feel good about it.

Trey Burke looks the part of an NBA PG with his balance of scoring and playmaking -- I wouldn't feel bad about picking him, but I'm not thrilled about the idea either. Is he really going to be that much better than Isaiah Thomas? He's a better on-ball defender, but he's had his own problems trying to check bigger guards. He dominated the ball in college, is he going to sacrifice some of that playmaking role to Tyreke? No doubt he's talented, but I think there's similar talent there that would help us more. If we really want to bring in a new PG and keep Tyreke off the ball, I'd like to see us go out and acquire somebody who is a better fit. Someone bigger, stronger, more defensive minded, more familiar with the requirements of running an NBA team.

So the answer for me is I wouldn't pick either one at #7, but if I were forced to I'd rather we go with the safer pick in Trey Burke. Most people are confident he'll at least be a league average starting PG.
I agree about what you said with Burke, but with McCollum part of the reason youy might consider him a shoot-first PG is because he played at SG throughout college, we can't really decipher how he could play at PG. He probably just did what the coach told him to do, and since he was a to a small school, he had to carry the load so that may also be part of the reason as to why he's considered a shoot-first point guard.

If we ever draft a PG, there's a very high chance we will be shipping Jimmer for another first round pick and probably go home with a PG and a big man.

Adam and McCollum would be nice bacon to bring home to SAC.
I think McCollum's height would continuously help him keep that high percentage shooting in the NBA.
If he really shoot 50%+ from three he'll fit in nicely with Reke and DMC.

I see it in the exact opposite way. McCollum is redundant with Jimmer and Thornton (not IT). He may be a better and improved version of those type of players, but in general he's along the same lines. So if you pick him you now have three redundant pieces instead of two. Does that make it easier to trade one of the pieces? If anything, it seems like it would force your hand to trade one of those pieces, and good trades usually aren't made because you are forced into it. On the other hand, maybe the Kings end up trading Jimmer or Thornton before the draft and they only end up with two similar guys in Thornton and McCollum after the draft. That strategy would seems preferable.
Why is he not redundant with it?

I am good with the Kings drafting McCollum (as long as Bennett doesn't fall to our selection) I read many articles yesterday that mentioned McCollum is compared to Stephen Curry. If thats the case I am all for it.

I am good with the Kings drafting McCollum (as long as Bennett doesn't fall to our selection) I read many articles yesterday that mentioned McCollum is compared to Stephen Curry. If thats the case I am all for it.
Ignore comparisons. They're not very similar. Both come from small schools and both can shoot, that's where it ends. Curry showed much better vision and passing in college, and he's clearly quicker and more crafty. When is the last time a player turned out to be like his comparison? In fact, name any two current NBA players that you would describe as having very similar games. There's always differences and comparisons aren't anything to go by.