[Game] Boston Celtics @ Sacramento Kings, 12/20/2023, 7:00pm PST/10:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lose (get blown out of the building) to the best team in the league … without their best player … on the second half of a back-to-back where they played overtime.

I get it. But this tweet isn’t in entirely good faith either.
Meh. It’s the NBA not the NFL lol I’m not doing the doom and gloom ish anymore, sorry. It’s one game and we have damn near 60 left to go. On to the next! We know we have roster issues, but we’re still better off than most. This is literally year 2 of us being any good.

It's not even a secret. The NBA officiating being biased in favor of more marketable stars and franchises, marquee matchups, and longer playoff series is a fact at this point. The Celtics in first pace is a storyline working against us. The size of Boston's market compared to ours is working against us. Jaylen Brown has the biggest contract in the league. We can't just be the better team on any given night, we have to be the better team by a mile because none of that ish is working in our favor.
The thing is that last year's Kings team knew what they were fighting against and still went ahead and competed knowing they would get shafted. They mentally spotted every team 10 points before every game.

This year they thought they would get a more favorable whistle after making the playoffs but that has not materialized (outside of a slight uptick for Fox) and they get frustrated and mentally check out when things don't go their way.

A lot of national media folks get agitated when they’re flat out wrong about a team like the Kings, so they ignore everything good and pounce when they see a bad game. They’ll cling to last night in hopes of being right about the Kings being “fools gold”. It’s pathetic.

Look, I get the frustration and annoyance with O’Connor, but does everyone on “Kings Twitter” need to log on and make the same quote tweet? A couple are clever but, man, scrolling through that and seeing the pile on take shape in the aggregate just makes us look like a whiny fan base. Not the best look, in my opinion, but maybe that is just the nature of social media these days.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
These inexcusable blowouts aren't all about physical limitations. Sure, I'd like to have a young Alonzo Mourning on this team, but this team can play better even with the current roster. There must be attention to detail on the defensive end of the floor and caring more about winning than about individual stats, achievements, and awards. We've seen it at times, but we certainly don't see it consistently, apparently just when they feel in the mood.

Brown is talking a lot about the need for someone to take a leadership role on this team. Personally, I'd like Sabonis to get out of his comfort zone and start calling out guys, demanding they perform their assignments on the defensive end. That includes players like the beloved Fox and Monk. Everybody has to sacrifice to win on this team. Maybe the one thing left for Sabonis to sacrifice is being viewed as Mr. Nice Guy, at least temporarily.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... Personally, I'd like Sabonis to get out of his comfort zone and start calling out guys, demanding they perform their assignments on the defensive end. That includes players like the beloved Fox and Monk..
Fox is arguably the second-best defender in the starting lineup. If anything, that 'calling out' should be happening the other way around.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fox is arguably the second-best defender in the starting lineup. If anything, that 'calling out' should be happening the other way around.
Whatever. If Fox wants to finally exert leadership, please feel free to do so in example and in calling out others to do so after he consistently sets the example. IMO, Sabonis is the most consistent hard working guy on the team. Night in, night out, on virtually every play he plays hard. Fox not so much. Fox could be the best defensive performer if he put his mind to it. So for me the the "authority" doesn't come with the defensive ceiling (or talent) of a player, it comes from consistency of effort. That's why I chose Sabonis.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's always interesting to ask, who am I not "permitted" to criticize
Why does this feel like code for, "How come I'm not allowed to post whatever I want without my opinion being challenged?" Ain't nobody been banned or otherwise disciplined for being critical of the team or the organization; you're "permitted" to criticize whomever you want.

Your choice of words for how you opt to express that criticism might be another matter.

Why does this feel like code for, "How come I'm not allowed to post whatever I want without my opinion being challenged?" Ain't nobody been banned or otherwise disciplined for being critical of the team or the organization; you're "permitted" to criticize whomever you want.

Your choice of words for how you opt to express that criticism might be another matter.
Classic.

"I want to say whatever I want, whenever I want, but if someone calls me out on my opinion, that's clearly an attack"

I love this team. But they can't stand up to real competition. They could not find a way to defend the Pelicans three times in a row. The last was in a high profile match up in the in-season tournament. They get blown out by the Clippers and then the Celtics. They showed they could go blow for blow against the Celtics in the first half. But the Celtics just play much tougher defense than the Kings can. They kicked our ass. I don't know how the Celtics have not won a championship with the current team yet. I hope the kings can win a playoff series. It will depend on the matchup.

Sabonis is great unless he is up against a bigger center. Then he disappears. I wish he could beef up a bit.

I love this team. But they can't stand up to real competition. They could not find a way to defend the Pelicans three times in a row. The last was in a high profile match up in the in-season tournament. They get blown out by the Clippers and then the Celtics. They showed they could go blow for blow against the Celtics in the first half. But the Celtics just play much tougher defense than the Kings can. They kicked our ass. I don't know how the Celtics have not won a championship with the current team yet. I hope the kings can win a playoff series. It will depend on the matchup.

Sabonis is great unless he is up against a bigger center. Then he disappears. I wish he could beef up a bit.
They can't stand up to real competition...except when they beat Denver, Minnesota, Dallas, GS, LA, PHX, OKC, Cleveland.

Whatever. If Fox wants to finally exert leadership, please feel free to do so in example and in calling out others to do so after he consistently sets the example. IMO, Sabonis is the most consistent hard working guy on the team. Night in, night out, on virtually every play he plays hard. Fox not so much. Fox could be the best defensive performer if he put his mind to it. So for me the the "authority" doesn't come with the defensive ceiling (or talent) of a player, it comes from consistency of effort. That's why I chose Sabonis.
Its the coaches job to call players out. I feel your pain though - so tired of the mail-ins - this is at least the 5th of the seaon - 3 too many. Time for a break from watching. Would like to see a "next man up" and foul-out defensive attitude with effort that Brown fails to do.....forget protecting players from foul trouble when your rear is getting handed to you anyway. Kings finally decided to up the effort down 28 pts with about 4 min left in the 3rdQ with their 2nd unit (1st unit just accelerated the bleeding)......that's on Brown to recognize when players are not working quicker., He failed to put in Mitchell who could've been useful., and he did not try enoough starter/bench permutations/combinations. Lyles and Monk were particularly disappointing on defense. Where is the effort at home,? Jeez.....

dude12

Hall of Famer
The blowout losses are concerning no doubt. But to just dismiss the good things happening this year is weird.
In regards to the blowout losses, I’m not sure it’s because of effort. The ref bias is a part of it but not the main reason. Somehow, we aren’t matching up with these teams. That’s for the coaching staff to figure out and for Monte to address with a potential move. sHOulD HAve dRaFteD oMAx

I wouldn’t say we can’t stand up to real competition, pretty sure we are 5-0 against the top teams in the West and hold a winning record against a lot of teams we have faced thus far. What we struggle with is matchup issues, particularly when the opposing team is longer and bigger than we are. Pelicans are bigger than us and so is Boston, not to mention the argument can be made that they are the favorites to win it all this year. We had a really bad strategy against them and that’s on the coach. We went guns blazing and lost as soon as the ammo ran out. That’s what bad teams do and we made the wrong call. We were not disciplined and got our ass handed to us on a silver platter. Sometimes you need a loss like that to recognize some things and learn from them.

I still think we need a couple of minor to moderate roster changes, mostly to get a little longer/bigger because that is our major Achilles heel right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.