Bizarro Wide World of Sports Lin Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I enjoyed not having to really care that the Knicks lost, and with the Nets' win, have no reason to care about how the next Nets-Bulls game goes. Whatever one thinks of the front office's job of finishing out the season, we are having a slight bit of luck in how things have gone with other teams. Maybe some were afraid to tank really consistently, but whatever the cause, 26 wins is a relatively stress-free place to be right now.

Today I enjoyed not having to really care that the Knicks lost, and with the Nets' win, have no reason to care about how the next Nets-Bulls game goes. Whatever one thinks of the front office's job of finishing out the season, we are having a slight bit of luck in how things have gone with other teams. Maybe some were afraid to tank really consistently, but whatever the cause, 26 wins is a relatively stress-free place to be right now.
Yeah, it's not like we're the only fans that thought this or that win hurt.
Extremely improbable but I would love to see the Kings, New York, and Brooklyn if they had kept their pick beat the odds and send all the obvious tank masters back 3 picks.

Yeah, it's not like we're the only fans that thought this or that win hurt.
Extremely improbable but I would love to see the Kings, New York, and Brooklyn if they had kept their pick beat the odds and send all the obvious tank masters back 3 picks.
I agree abut Kings and New York. Brooklin can't take advantage of their pick (traded to Clivlend), so I would love to see wc #9 or #10 get the 3rd pick. It would be well deserved.

There is. It's a six player draft (Doncic, Ayton, MPJ, Jackson, Bamba, Bagley). As per Kings tradition, they'll be on the cusp of that group or the first one on the outside looking in.

I did not watch much College basketball, but I did happen to watch Bagley in 2 Duke games during the tourney and was not impressed. I would be mighty surprised if he makes it past role-player status in the NBA, but who knows. Still would not be excited if they draft him, but it couldn't be worse than PapaG at least.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
4-8.png

The Mavericks' loss today has locked the Kings out of the 4th lotto slot (and consequently the Kings cannot get the 4th pick in the draft, though 1-3 are still in play). And while it took the Suns down to their penultimate game, they have managed to secure the top lotto slot, complete with 250 combos and a guarantee of a top-4 pick.

Monday the Kings travel to San Antonio, where, as unlikely as it may have seemed to start the year, with two games left the Spurs have not yet locked up a playoff spot. Expect the Spurs to come out gunning, and expect the Kings to at least TRY to play the spoiler. There are only two other games relevant to the Kings on Monday - the Knicks host Cleveland, where a Knicks win would guarantee the Kings finish no worse than 8th. The other game - one which had been marked on our calendars - is now pretty unexciting: the Nets host the Bulls. Now, one of these teams has to win (yay!) but they have the exact same record so it doesn't really matter which one!

I for one am glad to see the sixers are doing what they are doing now. Bravo philly, good for you guys.

They played the NBA game. They bottomed out and agreed that they were gonna tank to get the best talent they could get. None of this back and forth crap that the kings did this year. The sixers played the game and they are coming out ahead. The kings? They can’t get out of their own way. They have no clue what they are doing.

The system is what the system is. The sixers played the game and look at them. I’d take what the sixers did and what they have in a second over what the kings are doing and what they currently have.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I for one am glad to see the sixers are doing what they are doing now. Bravo philly, good for you guys.

They played the NBA game. They bottomed out and agreed that they were gonna tank to get the best talent they could get. None of this back and forth crap that the kings did this year. The sixers played the game and they are coming out ahead. The kings? They can’t get out of their own way. They have no clue what they are doing.

The system is what the system is. The sixers played the game and look at them. I’d take what the sixers did and what they have in a second over what the kings are doing and what they currently have.
remember though that all that tanking kills the "culture" of a franchise and that it takes a toll on the players. Funny how things work out when you all of a sudden get a franchise player or two and the culture shift changes the way it has for them. I know they brought in a winner in Reddick who has helped them out big time but other than that, most of their success is in part of the young players IMO.

Easy to say when you're looking back. The Kings "are doing" what they are doing for the very first year, and they currently have a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players. The Sixers a few years ago had Nerlens Noel and a bunch of D-Leaguers and Embiid basically sat out two seasons to get them where they are, along with Simmons for a year as well. Would you really be willing to go through 5 years starting now of Bogs/WCS + D leaguers? Because that's basically what the Sixers fielded. If you can honestly tell me that starting this season, you don't mind passionately supporting a 15 win team for the next 4 years breaking all sorts of all-time losing records with at most 2 quality players on the roster then fine, "Bravo Philly". Seriously, a team starts the season 1-30 and you say "Bravo Philly", and say we should do that.

If there's anything we should emulate, it's accumulating draft picks at a ridiculous rate and getting lucky thanks to Brooklyn/Boston. Bogs is sort of like our Saric.

The issue is that we as fans want success, and start lumping periods together. If you wanted to be where the Sixers are now, you should have advocated sitting Cousins for 2 seasons and tanking in 2013 or something. If you're willing to move past that then you can't look at the Kings in basically year 1 of the rebuild and cry and whine that we don't have 3 top 3 picks on the roster.

Last edited:
i guess Memphis, Phoenix and Atlanta are the next success stories!
Don't bet on Atlanta just yet, after winning 2 in a row they're in a 3-way tie for 3rd-5th with Orlando and Dallas. Dallas' last game is against Phoenix, so they may drop to sole 5th, but Orlando can't be expected to win another.

I think what matters is would Vlade switch places with Hinkie.

Don't bet on Atlanta just yet, after winning 2 in a row they're in a 3-way tie for 3rd-5th with Orlando and Dallas. Dallas' last game is against Phoenix, so they may drop to sole 5th, but Orlando can't be expected to win another.
Phoenix might beat Dallas now that they clinched and Dallas does not want to be the one team that jumps up from that 3 way tie...

We haven't even seen what Fultz will add yet.
Still I have no interest in doing what Philli did to get where they are, I hate this tank stuff but find my self hoping for loses seeing others are so blatantly doing it.

We haven't even seen what Fultz will add yet.
Still I have no interest in doing what Philli did to get where they are, I hate this tank stuff but find my self hoping for loses seeing others are so blatantly doing it.
Philadelphia got lucky plain and simple Embiid was the number 1 pick by a land slide that draft since like March. No injury to Embiid and they army who we say they are now

Philadelphia got lucky plain and simple Embiid was the number 1 pick by a land slide that draft since like March. No injury to Embiid and they army who we say they are now
Without digging through the history books I remember San Antonio getting lucky as well with Robinson out for some reason paving the way to another number 1 pick Duncan. San Antonio gets a lot of credit for being a model franchise but I thought that was BS back then.

I remember San Antonio getting lucky...
Kind of a tangent, but I always thought they were a fishy example of how easily small market teams could become NBA champs, too. Before 1980, small market teams did pretty okay. From 1980 to 1998, no team from a market smaller than Detroit won. Since then, San Antonio won several and Cleveland won one. The Spurs stand out as a fluke.

Easy to say when you're looking back. The Kings "are doing" what they are doing for the very first year, and they currently have a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players. The Sixers a few years ago had Nerlens Noel and a bunch of D-Leaguers and Embiid basically sat out two seasons to get them where they are, along with Simmons for a year as well. Would you really be willing to go through 5 years starting now of Bogs/WCS + D leaguers? Because that's basically what the Sixers fielded. If you can honestly tell me that starting this season, you don't mind passionately supporting a 15 win team for the next 4 years breaking all sorts of all-time losing records with at most 2 quality players on the roster then fine, "Bravo Philly". Seriously, a team starts the season 1-30 and you say "Bravo Philly", and say we should do that.

If there's anything we should emulate, it's accumulating draft picks at a ridiculous rate and getting lucky thanks to Brooklyn/Boston. Bogs is sort of like our Saric.

The issue is that we as fans want success, and start lumping periods together. If you wanted to be where the Sixers are now, you should have advocated sitting Cousins for 2 seasons and tanking in 2013 or something. If you're willing to move past that then you can't look at the Kings in basically year 1 of the rebuild and cry and whine that we don't have 3 top 3 picks on the roster.
It's a undeniable different approach to the first year of a rebuild then. That's the point I took, rather then him "whining". Hinkie's whole design was to get the best assets available to acquire a top 10 player, which for a bad franchise is top a pick. He didn't go out at any point and use cap space on the Randolf and Hill's to "build a winning culture". He didn't keep the WCS or Skals around in an attempt to develop middling talent. And they had a plan. No ****ing around, no talk of intangibles, just a straight strategy to exploit the NBA lottery system and acquire talent.

Our strategy can't be defined at this point, but it's not what just worked in a major way for Philly. You're looking at another 25-35 win season next year with no pick and no clear all-star/super star talent, which in turn keeps you from the breakthrough talent you need and once again stuck in this endless cycle. If being frustrated about that is "whining" then fine. Enjoy the "winning culture" in perpetuity from your high horse.

Last edited:
It's a undeniable different approach to the first year of a rebuild then. That's the point I took, rather then him "whining". Hinkie's whole design was to get the best assets available to acquire a top 10 player, which for a bad franchise is top a pick. He didn't go out at any point and use cap space on the Randolf and Hill's to "build a winning culture". He didn't keep the WCS or Skals around in an attempt to develop middling talent. And they had a plan. No ****ing around, no talk of intangibles, just a straight strategy to exploit the NBA lottery system and acquire talent.

Our strategy can't be defined at this point, but it's not what just worked in a major way for Philly. You're looking at another 25-35 win season next year with no pick and no clear all-star/super star talent, which in turn keeps you from the breakthrough talent you need and once again stuck in this endless cycle. If being frustrated about that is "whining" then fine. Enjoy the "winning culture" in perpetuity from your high horse.
And Hinkie is out of the NBA. Apparently pressure from the NBA office got Philly's ownership to get rid of Hinkie.

And Hinkie is out of the NBA. Apparently pressure from the NBA office got Philly's ownership to get rid of Hinkie.
Right because he shamelessly exploited a flaw the NBA was well aware of but couldn't address. Owners repeatedly rejected, until recently, lottery reform. Hinkie unapologetic and with self acclaim pointed this out and sold a fan base on what turned out to be a great idea. And he got blacked balled for it and replaced by long time NBA cronies.

The fear from the league being that if it worked you'd see what Philly did become the new normal. And to a extent you're seeing that happen this season. Maybe the change in odds puts the genie back in the bottle, maybe not.

Right because he shamelessly exploited a flaw the NBA was well aware of but couldn't address. Owners repeatedly rejected, until recently, lottery reform. Hinkie unapologetic and with self acclaim pointed this out and sold a fan base on what turned out to be a great idea. And he got blacked balled for it and replaced by long time NBA cronies.

The fear from the league being that if it worked you'd see what Philly did become the new normal. And to a extent you're seeing that happen this season. Maybe the change in odds puts the genie back in the bottle, maybe not.
Flawed system or not any GM considering Hinkie's path will consider where he's ended up.

Flawed system or not any GM considering Hinkie's path will consider where he's ended up.
Which is the point of intimidation tactics. The idea of the league office getting involved in a franchise's front office for using you're poorly designed system is immoral or also known as a load of crap. But yeah, you're correct, not ever ownership group is looking to butt heads with Silver and the league.

Which is the point of intimidation tactics. The idea of the league office getting involved in a franchise's front office for using you're poorly designed system is immoral or also known as a load of crap. But yeah, you're correct, not ever ownership group is looking to butt heads with Silver and the league.
Yeah. I mean why would a professional basketball league need to remind a professional basketball organization that their product is a sport in which both teams are trying to win. If you are in the business of professional competition I think it's pretty silly that you need a heads up that you're supposed to compete to win all the time, not just in the post season.

I think half the teams in the NBA should tank and tank hard. maybe even more than half. if you are stuck getting knocked out in the first round of playoffs year after year your best strategy should be to tank like no one tanked before. that is the logical end game of this. if younare not a title contender, and you are not losing and losing with a purpose you are doing your franchise long term harm. it would actually be fun to see a season like that. then the league would have to do something. penalize the worst teams with lower odds is what i would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.