Bibby to Cleveland...on again, off again, etc.

Listening to Grant today and he was saying he believes Bibby will get traded within the next few weeks. For one Danny Ferry really wants Bibby and he is going to try and find a way to make this deal happen. The problem is the Cavs do not have anyone the Kings want. All the Kings want are young players or expiring contracts, that is why the Cavs will have to try and find a third team where we can ship Bibby to the Cavs, they can ship Gooden and someone else to that third team and that third team can ship us an expiring contract or some young players. Bibby is not getting traded because he had a bad year, it is just it is his time to go. He and the Kings need a change and the Kings are going young and setting themselves up for the free agency of 2009 when we can be 20 to 25 million under the salary cap. So the bottomline is the next two years we will most likely not be very good and winning 25 to 30 games a year and in the lottery. It sucks, but to get real good again like we want it is something we will have to sarcrifice.
:eek:

Grant was saying that's the Kings plans??!?

Woo hoo!

:D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Listening to Grant today and he was saying he believes Bibby will get traded within the next few weeks. For one Danny Ferry really wants Bibby and he is going to try and find a way to make this deal happen. The problem is the Cavs do not have anyone the Kings want. All the Kings want are young players or expiring contracts, that is why the Cavs will have to try and find a third team where we can ship Bibby to the Cavs, they can ship Gooden and someone else to that third team and that third team can ship us an expiring contract or some young players. Bibby is not getting traded because he had a bad year, it is just it is his time to go. He and the Kings need a change and the Kings are going young and setting themselves up for the free agency of 2009 when we can be 20 to 25 million under the salary cap. So the bottomline is the next two years we will most likely not be very good and winning 25 to 30 games a year and in the lottery. It sucks, but to get real good again like we want it is something we will have to sarcrifice.
That's all good, and I have no problem with it. But this one note: thing is that Mike Bibby's contract aslo runs out in 08-09. So the Kings can NOT free up any cap space that summer by trading him -- best they can do is break even by taking back no long termers. Only way to free up more caproom that offseason is to move Brad, Kenny, Reef or Salmons. otherwise those 4 guys alone will be earning $32.9 million by that offseason, over half of your cap. :( (where is that damn vomit smilie). In any case, whether you move Mike, or don't, if the 4 turds are still on the roster then 4 turds = $32.9 mil, Kevin = $10+mil + any other kids, low level FA we have around = $45-$50mil. The cap this year is $55mil. So no matter what we do with Ron and Mike, we will be lucky to be $10million under the cap that summer.

We just HAVE to find a way to unload some, or better yet ALL, of those long term deals in the next two years.

Last edited:
Here's an idea:

Sacramento outgoing:
Mike Bibby
Kenny Thomas

Sacramento incoming:
Eric Snow (expiring '09)
Damon Jones (expiring '09)
Bob Sura (expiring '08)
Kirk Snyder (expiring '08)
Luther Head (young player)
2008 Rockets 1st

Houston outgoing:
Bob Sura
Kirk Snyder
Luther Head
2008 1st Rounder

Houston incoming:
Drew Gooden

Cleveland outgoing:
Drew Gooden
Eric Snow
Damon Jones

Cleveland incoming:
Mike Bibby
Kenny Thomas

This way the Kings clear Kenny's contract for the 2009 offseason, get a few extra expirings in the meantime, get a couple of young players in Snyder and Head and a 2008 pick.

Here's an idea:

Sacramento outgoing:
Mike Bibby
Kenny Thomas

Sacramento incoming:
Eric Snow (expiring '09)
Bob Sura (expiring '08)
2008 Rockets 1st

Houston outgoing:
Bob Sura
Kirk Snyder
Luther Head
2008 1st Rounder

Houston incoming:
Drew Gooden

Cleveland outgoing:
Drew Gooden
Eric Snow
Damon Jones

Cleveland incoming:
Mike Bibby
Kenny Thomas

This way the Kings clear Kenny's contract for the 2009 offseason, get a few extra expirings in the meantime, get a couple of young players in Snyder and Head and a 2008 pick.
that a trade like this is even a discussion shows how awful the Webber trade was.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet...

Las Vegas — So the Cavs and Kings are at it again with Mike Bibby. As one of the three writers who was swarming all over UNLV to break this story yesterday, I still am not quite sure why this deal broke down. It certainly looked like it was going to happen when both Damon Jones and Drew Gooden were in the gym with the Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof and their entire front office. Let me also pass this along, Danny Ferry really wanted the rights to Luis Scola from the Spurs. I mean really, really, really wanted him. It would also make sense for the Spurs not to hand players to a division rival for nothing but money. Yet, no dice.
The only thing I can think is the Kings just still aren’t happy with the package being offered. The Cavs can offer Gooden and expiring contracts (Ira Newble, David Wesley) or they can offer Gooden and a shooter (Jones) or a combination of both. They are still trying to get a third team involved, just as they were for hours and hours back in February, to sweeten the package. With all this talk, my gut tells me this probably gets done at some point in the future. They aren’t going to give up now.
On the Anderson Varejao front, one league executive told me yesterday: “This is going to be one to watch.” He meant for entertainment value, in a sick, detatched way. Andy’s agent, Dan Fegan, is looking for the big score. I’m talking about something like $9-$10 million a year. I believe the Cavs are offering something much closer to $6 million a year. You don’t have to be a math major to know that is a wide gap. The Cavs will not pay it and, because Varejao is restricted and no teams who want Varejao have cap space left, they will not have to pay it. They do not have to do a sign-and-trade for it if they don’t feel like it, either. Here’s the thing, though, Fegan does not like to compromise. He may rather have Andy play out a one-year qualifying offer and become unrestricted next summer.
Now, this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. First off, because’s a second round pick, his qualifying offer is only $1.3 million. Sasha Pavlovic’s, for example, is around $4 million. That means Andy potentially would be leaving $5 million on the table just this season alone. This is a guy who has made just $2.6 million over the last three years combined. He may never make up that money. Second, next summer the free agent market is deeper and there are no teams that will have a bunch of money. So if he leaves the Cavs, it very likely would be just for the mid-level exception, which will be around $5.5 million next year. Does that make sense? No, but it does make a point, which is what Fegan might want to do.
Here’s something you need to keep in mind that no one is talking about. Andy really, really wants to play for Brazil in next month’s FIBA Americas Tournament. He loves playing for the national team and the Brazilians are fighting for one of the two spots in the Olympics next year. With the Americans and Argentines there, they need their best players. Andy can’t risk playing without a contract, remember he blew out his shoulder playing for the national team two years ago. I have not spoken to Andy since the season ended, so maybe his feelings have changed. But he’s always expressed to me how he wants to make the basketball team as popular as a the national soccer team, when the whole country shuts down to watch. That is probably unrealistic, but Andy always sounded passionate about it. Anyway, that means the contract has to get done in the next few weeks if he wants to play. We’ll see…
http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/cavs/

Here's an idea:

Sacramento outgoing:
Mike Bibby
Kenny Thomas

-----snip-----

That's pretty slick. I dunno about Houston giving the first rounder to get Gooden, but I would take that trade without.

i say we just keep mike unless we get GOOD young guys like dorell wright or draft picks, he IS an expiring which is what we want.. but the thing about him is as a kings fan hes my fav player, i love watching him play... he has a sentimental value to the kings more than any other expiring would mean..

potential at least..and the heat happen to be one of the teams we've been looking at.. he goes in the gerald green catagory for me.. a guy im willing to take a chance on, that is if we take him and arent stuck with bad contract, thats just my opinion though.

that a trade like this is even a discussion shows how awful the Webber trade was.
Agreed (1st post).

MayB close 2 last (post), if "grown man B.i." (Bibby) departs. I've been'a die-hard Kings fan since '01, but not sure if I can bare 2 watch ANY NBA games, out of utter disapointment w/o at least him remaining N SAC.

Just the 'thought' itself turns my stomack. No more League Pass, no more DVR'ing games. It would hurt 2 bad. Yea, I've got'a take the selfish route on this trip; even if it's best 4 him 2 leave, I want him 2 stay.

He's all I've got left.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Agreed (1st post).

MayB close 2 last (post), if "grown man B.i." (Bibby) departs. I've been'a die-hard Kings fan since '01, but not sure if I can bare 2 watch ANY NBA games, out of utter disapointment w/o at least him remaining N SAC.

Just the 'thought' itself turns my stomack. No more League Pass, no more DVR'ing games. It would hurt 2 bad. Yea, I've got'a take the selfish route on this trip; even if it's best 4 him 2 leave, I want him 2 stay.

He's all I've got left.
Welcome to Kingsfans.com. We hope you take the time to make a couple posts in the Lounge area welcoming new members.

I would like to point you in the direction of one of our posting tips:

In addition, it is not up to any member to correct or criticize the grammar or spelling of other members. We have a worldwide community here, and a lot of our members are posting in English as their second, third or even fourth language. It's not about how something is spelled, anyway. It's about the comments.

HINT: This isn't text messaging. If your posts don't make sense, they don't do you or us any good. Complete words and the use of punctuation make it easier for all of us to communicate.

It just makes your points so much easier to read if you use "to" instead of "2", etc. Posting tips are located here:

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12978

Thanks.

Here's an idea:

Sacramento outgoing:
Mike Bibby
Kenny Thomas

Sacramento incoming:
Eric Snow (expiring '09)
Bob Sura (expiring '08)
2008 Rockets 1st

Houston outgoing:
Bob Sura
Kirk Snyder
Luther Head
2008 1st Rounder

Houston incoming:
Drew Gooden

Cleveland outgoing:
Drew Gooden
Eric Snow
Damon Jones

Cleveland incoming:
Mike Bibby
Kenny Thomas

It's a good idea, though I am not sure if Houston shall give up all their enders, Head and first rounders for Drew, particularly after picking up Scola and Butler.

Problem seems to be that the Maloofs (and quite likely Petrie too) seem determined to put a decent product on the floor (as much as the current group can be called decent). So, they are ready to go out and spend the MLE, and hold on to the vets until decent offers come by. Lot of us on the board believe that it is best to trade the vets for expirings or short term contracts, even if we get back junk. Front office obviously doesn't share that thought. So, it seems unlikely they shall give away Bibby without getting back a decent PG (no, Snow and Damon don't count) somehow (via another trade if need be).

Just saw this rumor of what didn't quite happen with the Cavs. Sounds plausible, but nothing like what Grant Napier was suggesting.
Mike Bibby on the Trading Block?

It looks as if Mike Bibby was very close to being traded in a three-team deal that involved the Cavaliers and the Spurs.

The deal would have sent Mike Bibby to the Kings and Drew Gooden and San Antonio's Jackie Butler would have gone to the Kings. It is not known what the Spurs would have gotten, but it might have been a draft pick.

The Kings and Cavaliers can still work out a deal without the Spurs, but the Spurs went ahead and traded Butler to the Rockets, taking him out of the equation.

The Kings look determined to move Bibby as Ron Artest has been put on the backburner.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/312482/mike_bibby_on_the_trading_block.html

Yeah, that was from last week. Unfortunately it's been reported that those talks have stalled completely.

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21637
I think there may have been 2 different proposals floated, since one mentions Damon Jones and the other didn't, and the story I posted was supposedly 4 hours old when I posted it. But who knows, with rumors?

In any event, it seems like all sources agree that old Bibby-to-Cleveland proposals were comatose, and with the signing of Mikki (since all rumors involved Gooden), probably quite dead. I posted it mostly because I thought the part about Jackie Butler was interesting.

Last edited:
Not sure what Dorrell Wright has done to prove he's a good young player ?
Dorrell Wright is an athletic freak who has a ton of potential. He has had very limited opportunities with the Heat, but when he's been given the chance he has done well. I would definately want him included in any type of deal with Miami. His upside is just too high to not take a flyer on him. He's only 21.

Bricklayer

he isn't. I don't see any reason nor can I come up with one for why this guy keeps coming up in trade rumors. I am going to be pissed if we trade bibby to the heat.
His athelticism is off the charts and when the heat had to trot him out as a starter in the arly part of the season due to some injuries, the kid put up across the board numbers reminscient Gerald Wallace when he was finally uinleashed in his first year in Charlotte. Does not mean Wright will be as good, but that's the comparison. A guy who could be 15pts 7rebs 2ast 2stl 1.5blk out of the SF spot or some such. Stat stuffer. If you were going to move an Artest, be a nifty platoon with he and Cisco.

Bricklayer

If this was to happen, it still leaves the question of who will be running the point.

The Cleveland trade, or Miami? If its Miami I would imagine it would be good ole JWill just as a one year patch, and then whoever we selected in the lottery next year (whihc is to PG drafts what this year's was to big men drafts).

If its Cleveland, kid, Damon Jones (patch again) or another trade.

I was talking about the Miami trade with Wright. However, the same issue holds with Cleavland I guess. Having JWill or Damon Jones running the point here is just frightening to me. I would much rather that they sent either one of those guys home and get Ronnie P. signed so that we could watch him.

His athelticism is off the charts and when the heat had to trot him out as a starter in the arly part of the season due to some injuries, the kid put up across the board numbers reminscient Gerald Wallace when he was finally uinleashed in his first year in Charlotte. Does not mean Wright will be as good, but that's the comparison. A guy who could be 15pts 7rebs 2ast 2stl 1.5blk out of the SF spot or some such. Stat stuffer. If you were going to move an Artest, be a nifty platoon with he and Cisco.
only if we do trade Artest would I consider him. Definitely not for a trade involving Bibby, unless Petrie already has it in his mind that Artest is gone, which definitely doesnt seem like the case. I didnt realize he was so athletic and ya Gerald Wallace is one of my favorite players, even when he was riding the pine I really loved his game.

I get the feeling they're not willing to give up Wright.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Why do I get the odd feeling that our Petrie will pull off something not even discussed on KingsFans.com but that will make 72% of us happy? And no one will have a clue until it happens. He is so cool that way. But rest assured, Bibby will go back east, assuming he goes.

Somehow, with the 6 bigs we have now, 2 of those will be gone in a Bibby deal. The PF spot is still the key here. SAR/Thomas we all know are not the solution. But is Watkins? or Williams? or Mikki Moore? or even Miller? he played the 4 with Vlade quite a bit. So if a Gooden comes in, he starts at the 4. Most other trade discussions seem to bring in fodder and expirings and .......... It MUST be 5 o'clock SOMEWHERE !!! :confused:

Why do I get the odd feeling that our Petrie will pull off something not even discussed on KingsFans.com but that will make 72% of us happy? And no one will have a clue until it happens. He is so cool that way. But rest assured, Bibby will go back east, assuming he goes.

Somehow, with the 6 bigs we have now, 2 of those will be gone in a Bibby deal. The PF spot is still the key here. SAR/Thomas we all know are not the solution. But is Watkins? or Williams? or Mikki Moore? or even Miller? he played the 4 with Vlade quite a bit. So if a Gooden comes in, he starts at the 4. Most other trade discussions seem to bring in fodder and expirings and .......... It MUST be 5 o'clock SOMEWHERE !!! :confused:
Why are you certain he's going to an eastern team?