Ben McLemore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite to "I told you so" time, but it's getting there. :)

There were some over the top rough words for the kid last year (like Nik now). Several times some of us kept pointing out that he CAN shoot, but he was rushing. It was a matter of time for the game to slow down for him.

It's happening. It's confidence. Even his misses are mostly looking good. The kid who can't shoot is a 41% 3 point shooter right now. He's also over 50% on 2's.

It's also about getting the chance to take enough shots to get a rhythm. Thanks DC for allowing that!

There were some over the top rough words for the kid last year (like Nik now). Several times some of us kept pointing out that he CAN shoot, but he was rushing. It was a matter of time for the game to slow down for him.

It's happening. It's confidence. Even his misses are mostly looking good. The kid who can't shoot is a 41% 3 point shooter right now. He's also over 50% on 2's.

It's also about getting the chance to take enough shots to get a rhythm. Thanks DC for allowing that!
I will also add that Rudy and Cousins know where Ben is as the safety valve when they get in trouble in the post. Their stellar play to start the season is resulting in lots of open looks for him and he is stepping up his game as a result. There is so much to like in the way the starting five are playing right now.

The most encouraging part for me is that he is having a positive impact in games, but he doesn't even fully know what he's doing yet.

He made a conscious effort to rebound in this game and pulled down 9 boards. The points were nice, but he filled up the stat sheet. The potential is scary. Can be more than a 3 and D guy. A key for him is that DMC and Gay have taken an active role in his development. He needs that positive reinforcement from his peers. Let's hope he reaches his full potential.

Not ready to anoint but not willing to trade anymore. I will be honest and say I was one who thought the kid wasn't going to get it. I was wrong. He has developed into a very good shooter in games. He was always a good shooter in practice and in college. But the NBA is a different animal. He has found his spots and learned the veteran dribble moves to free himself for good shots. Something Nik still needs to learn. When he is hot from the outside the Kings are an extremely difficult team to defend. You have Cousins, who is a dominant big who must be double teamed, you have Gay who is a shooter/slasher from the wing, you have Collison who is a shooter/slasher/disher, and now you have Ben who is a 3 point shooter/slasher (oh J.T. where art thou). And all are good team defenders.

I hope Ben continues to refine his game defensively as well as offensively. He may be the answer at the 2, but it is too early to say definitively that he has arrived. But at this point I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
McLemore is inconsistent, though the general trend is better than last year. One game doesn't mean anything, whether it's good or bad. And actually if teams are going to play zone against the Kings because of Cousins, it's not asking a great deal of the two-guard that he should make open shots. To me, he's still very green. Hopefully, the upward trend continues and he continues to get better, especially with his ball handling.

At this point, I wouldn't trade Ben for anything. He's showing a glimpse of what's going to come. He's played excellent, even if Ben struggles, we can just bring in a back up SG. I wouldn't give up Ben in any trade. When he reaches his prime, he can be crazy good. His potential is off the charts.

People say he has the potential to be a 3&D guy, but I think that's already what he is now.

I will also add that Rudy and Cousins know where Ben is as the safety valve when they get in trouble in the post. Their stellar play to start the season is resulting in lots of open looks for him and he is stepping up his game as a result. There is so much to like in the way the starting five are playing right now.
Part of that reminds me about why Nik is in the second unit: McLemore doesn't have as much playmaking instincts as Stauskas does.

Bmac is slowly becoming a consistent player. I understand the frustrating turnovers in yesterday's game that boggle the mind but I really think we need a few games of Ben getting / taking 18+ shots. Like we've all seen, once he gets in a rhythm he can be fairly unstoppable. It seems like Malone takes him out or stops running plays for him when he is in a groove. It also appears that in the last few games Ben has missed his first few shots then recovered and almost shot 100% from there on out. Just a big sign of his confidence progressing and not hiding in the corner after a couple missed shots... Lastly, if any of you watched KU when Ben played there Bill Self always found a way to get Ben an easy bucket early to spark his confidence and comfort level. Like running an inbounds play lob for him or a backdoor lob / layup. I just think we all are happy when Ben scores 14 plus but I truly think his potential could be in the low 20s if utilized night in and night out. All of this is IMO...

Part of that reminds me about why Nik is in the second unit: McLemore doesn't have as much playmaking instincts as Stauskas does.
The only play making we need Nik to do is hitting some shots. Or even taking them when hes's open.

Nik is on the second unit because he's a shell shocked rookie. He'll get better. I actually think he's getting better on D already. But there is no strategy for him being on the second unit besides the fact that he didn't earn the starting spot.

he keeps getting better and more confident. I honestly see him being the best 2 guard (or at least top 3) in the league in a couple of years if he just keeps working cuz you can't deny the talent.

BenMc is by far the best King from the 3-point land. Therefore, create shots for him and he'll respond. His release is so fast and so smooth that you simply have to utilize that option. During the last 10 seconds on the clock BenMc should only move at the arc and look for that pass for him to shoot.

K

KingMilz

Well we could have found the final piece to an actually big 3 (IT was not part of any big 3 nor will he ever be) in a year or so. If Ben keeps this up than yeah he's going to be a very solid 3rd option.

1) Solid defender who is improving almost night by night.
2) Hitting his shots at a nice percentage.
3) Gives us 1 or 2 highlights per game with his jump out of the gym athletic ability.
4) Dribble game is just getting better and better.
5) Team mates have confidence in this young man.

Check, check, check, check and check!!!!

he keeps getting better and more confident. I honestly see him being the best 2 guard (or at least top 3) in the league in a couple of years if he just keeps working cuz you can't deny the talent.
He lacks the ability to create his own shot and will therefore never be a Top 2 SG in this league. He will improve, but his handles are a bit shaky and don't look natural. He will never reach Wade's, Kobe's, DeRozan's or Ginobili's ability to create of the dribble and get his shot at will. Right now he is decent at straight simple drives to the basket and spot up jumpshots. If he improves his handles, he can be a Danny Green or Wes Mathews kind of player with serious athleticism. That would make a really good player, but certainly not a Top 3 SG.
But to be honest - we dont need a SG, that can create at will, if Cousins and Gay are healthy and on the floor. Ben should compliment those 2 really well, if he reaches his full potential. I would love to see the Kings call more plays for Ben and get him to run around multiple screens. He is so fast, it would really cause difficulties for the defender, if Ben learns to use screens like Reggie Miller or Ray Allen. I think that has to be the next step in Ben's development.

I'm so pleased with his improvement this year. IMO, most notable has been his dribbling. I've noticed a number of possessions where he fakes right and dribbles strong to the rim with his left hand, through traffic. And he's learning to do that with success. And it's causing defenders to stay on their toes.

There is NO way last year's Ben could have done that. Now you add on his much improved shooting, confidence, rebounding, and heck..even his successful dunk %. Keep it up, kid!

Ben will never be a great slasher - too behind in floor skills, but with his quickness, jumping ability and quick release he is able to get his shot off, and that's creating your own shot. That's actually, what you need next to a couple of guys, who prefer to operate inside and are very good at it. Teams pay more attention to him now and no longer just straight cheat off of him, but they can still use his man for a soft double inside. When Ben gets skilled and consistent enough, that opponents will have to pay a lot of attention to prevent Ben from getting open...Boogie will have a lot more freedom.

He lacks the ability to create his own shot and will therefore never be a Top 2 SG in this league. He will improve, but his handles are a bit shaky and don't look natural. He will never reach Wade's, Kobe's, DeRozan's or Ginobili's ability to create of the dribble and get his shot at will. Right now he is decent at straight simple drives to the basket and spot up jumpshots. If he improves his handles, he can be a Danny Green or Wes Mathews kind of player with serious athleticism. That would make a really good player, but certainly not a Top 3 SG.
But to be honest - we dont need a SG, that can create at will, if Cousins and Gay are healthy and on the floor. Ben should compliment those 2 really well, if he reaches his full potential. I would love to see the Kings call more plays for Ben and get him to run around multiple screens. He is so fast, it would really cause difficulties for the defender, if Ben learns to use screens like Reggie Miller or Ray Allen. I think that has to be the next step in Ben's development.
Were Ray Allen and Reggie Miller ever top 3 SG in the league during their time? Yes. So someone with Ben's skill set can be top 3 SG. I'm not saying he is on their level or will ever reach it. I'm just not going to dismiss his potential. Too soon to put a cap on Ben.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
hes gotta be more aggressive vs these next two tteams, I feel like he can breakout even moreso vs indiana and orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.