VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/290619.html

Kings show interest in guard Wilks
By Martin McNeal - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C3

Mike Wilks just happened to be in Sacramento when the Kings called his representative and displayed interest in the 5-foot-11 point guard.

So, Wilks dropped by the Kings' offices Tuesday and had a brief conversation with basketball president Geoff Petrie.

"We talked about how they were exploring different options at point guard," Wilks said at the Table 260 Restaurant in Elk Grove. "Geoff explained Mike Bibby's situation and that the team believed Quincy (Douby) could play some minutes at point. (Francisco García) can play there if they want to go big and that they'd rescinded their qualifying offer to Ronnie (Price).

"He said they were looking at a couple of guards and I was definitely in the mix."

Wilks, 28, is not a stranger to the organization. He was with the Kings during the October 2001 training camp and impressed the team with his competitiveness. But the Kings were loaded at the time, and he was released.

Wilks' career would come full circle if the Kings signed him and brought him to camp.

Petrie said he has kept an eye on Wilks during his time in the league.

"He's more experienced as a player," Petrie said of Wilks, who played with Seattle last season. "I don't think his personality has changed, and he's always been a terrific, terrific young man."

Wilks has played with six NBA teams.

"I think they know I will understand roles and accept roles and do the best I can," he said. "I'm not going to gripe or complain, but I will compete and try to improve my individual position."

Petrie said the team soon will announce the hiring of some assistants on coach Reggie Theus' staff. One is expected to be former Kings guard Randy Brown.

About the writer: The Bee's Martin McNeal can be reached at mmcneal@sacbee.com.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"We talked about how they were exploring different options at point guard," Wilks said at the Table 260 Restaurant in Elk Grove."Geoff explained Mike Bibby's situation and that the team believed Quincy (Douby) could play some minutes at point. (Francisco García) can play there if they want to go big and that they'd rescinded their qualifying offer to Ronnie (Price).
Hey, Marty???? Think you could get Wilks to explain the Bibby situation to all of us?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
So this isn't as out of the blue as some thought, just as I did. Seems like a nice guy.

That would be nice to know the Mike Bibby situation wouldn't it! :p

It seems Geoff is trying to sign good character guys. Moore, now maybe Wilks. It's not that I dislike either of those guys, but I'd rather stand pat :)eek: ) and be top 8 in the draft next year than sign some vets, have a bad cap situation and be in the 12-14 range in the draft. I hope there's some additional moves made this offseason (to go young!).

has anyone seen mike wilks play? if anybody has, what are his strengths? weaknesses? can he shoot? is he a good defender???

cuz all i know is that he is short at 5'10 and everaged less than 10 mins per game his whole 6 yrs in the nba...

Apparently the "situation" doesn't involve trading Mike to Miami for J Will:

The Heat is focusing on trades to find a point guard, and talks continue with Houston regarding Rafer Alston (due $14.7 million during the next three years). Though Miami would move Michael Doleac, the Rockets are exploring what other teams would offer. Talks with Sacramento about Mike Bibby have not materialized -- the Kings aren't eager to take back ex-King Jason Williams.
Meanwhile, Washington has shown little interest in accepting a Heat draft pick for FC Barcelona combo guard Juan Carlos Navarro.

http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/181316.html

Kingster

Hall of Famer
"We talked about how they were exploring different options at point guard," Wilks said at the Table 260 Restaurant in Elk Grove. "Geoff explained Mike Bibby's situation and that the team believed Quincy (Douby) could play some minutes at point. (Francisco García) can play there if they want to go big and that they'd rescinded their qualifying offer to Ronnie (Price).
Hey Marty! ARTICULATE!

Apparently the "situation" doesn't involve trading Mike to Miami for J Will:

The Heat is focusing on trades to find a point guard, and talks continue with Houston regarding Rafer Alston (due $14.7 million during the next three years). Though Miami would move Michael Doleac, the Rockets are exploring what other teams would offer. Talks with Sacramento about Mike Bibby have not materialized -- the Kings aren't eager to take back ex-King Jason Williams.
Meanwhile, Washington has shown little interest in accepting a Heat draft pick for FC Barcelona combo guard Juan Carlos Navarro.
http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/181316.html
Oh please! Who the F cares?! All he is is an expiring contract, waive him if it bothers you that much.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
has anyone seen mike wilks play? if anybody has, what are his strengths? weaknesses? can he shoot? is he a good defender???

cuz all i know is that he is short at 5'10 and everaged less than 10 mins per game his whole 6 yrs in the nba...

strengths: quick, and I think tries on defense, is willing to pass (unlike Boykins type guy)

weaknesses: most of the rest of it. Very small too (which limits the defense somewhat). But has more of a PG mentality than guys like Price or Douby or even House. A sucky borderline NBDL PG, but still more of the true item than the other guys.

Sorry -- not much to say here. He rarely plays in non-garbagetime situations. But just for comparison, he's probably actually somewhere back behind Jason Hart in the NBA pecking order.

It seems Geoff is trying to sign good character guys. Moore, now maybe Wilks. It's not that I dislike either of those guys, but I'd rather stand pat :)eek: ) and be top 8 in the draft next year than sign some vets, have a bad cap situation and be in the 12-14 range in the draft. I hope there's some additional moves made this offseason (to go young!).
Exactly...I dont want to have a repeat of the 94'-96' seasons again...39-43 is NOT what we need...if we're rebuilding, we need to not worry about winning now and not be incredibly mediocre, like that would be. But...I guess as long as we have the group of guys that we have, that's what we're stuck with the next couple years...because I know Ron Ron and Mike wont stand for TOTAL suckage to build for the future, and will gut out a few more wins...which isnt what we need, IMO...that will screw us. Oh well...

edit: too bad we couldnt move Bibby THIS year...oh well, if we do end up 12-14 in the next draft, hell, GP drafted Peja at 14, so I guess when he has to pull a rabbit out of his hat, he can...errr...he USED to, and hopefully will get his mojo back...and SOON!

Last edited:
Speaking of Peja at 14 I still remember being at Arco for that draft in 96 with my dad bro and friend and everyone in the arena chanting Wallace Wallace Wallace for John Wallace and Petrie comes out and says we have drafted from Greece Predrag Stojakovic with the 14th pick and the whole place just erupts in boos. Boy were we ever wrong lol.

See, everybody but you was actually chanting for Ben Wallace! :D

Steve Nash or Jermaine O'Neal wouldn't have been terrible choices, though... that was an exceptional draft year. Most years we end up with someone pretty uninspiring. There's really no stretch of more than a couple of years in a row where we got much out of the draft.

'87 - Kenny Smith (7)
'88 - Ricky Berry (18)
'89 - Pervis (1)
'90 - Lionel Simmons (7), Travis Mays (14), Duane Causwell (18) and Anthony Bonner (23)
'91 - Billy Owens (3, traded) and Pete Chilcut (27)
'92 - Walt Williams (7)
'93 - Bobby Hurley (7)
'94 - Brain Grant (8)
'95 - Corliss (13)
'96 - Peja (14)
'97 - Olivier St. Jean/Tariq Abdul-Wahad (11)
'98 - Jason Williams (7)
'99 - Nobody
'00 - Hedo (16)
'01 - Gerald Wallace (25)
'02 - Dan Dickau (28, traded)
'03 - Nobody
'04 - Kevin Martin (26)
'05 - Cisco (23)
'06 - Douby (19)
'07 - Hawes (10)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
See, everybody but you was actually chanting for Ben Wallace! :D

Steve Nash or Jermaine O'Neal wouldn't have been terrible choices, though... that was an exceptional draft year. Most years we end up with someone pretty uninspiring. There's really no stretch of more than a couple of years in a row where we got much out of the draft.

'87 - Kenny Smith (7)
'88 - Ricky Berry (18)
'89 - Pervis (1)
'90 - Lionel Simmons (7), Travis Mays (14), Duane Causwell (18) and Anthony Bonner (23)
'91 - Billy Owens (3, traded) and Pete Chilcut (27)
'92 - Walt Williams (7)
'93 - Bobby Hurley (7)
--------------------------------------------
The PETRIE era:

'94 - Brain Grant (8)
'95 - Corliss (13)
'96 - Peja (14)
'97 - Olivier St. Jean/Tariq Abdul-Wahad (11)
'98 - Jason Williams (7)
'99 - Nobody
'00 - Hedo (16)
'01 - Gerald Wallace (25)
'02 - Dan Dickau (28, traded)
'03 - Nobody
'04 - Kevin Martin (26)
'05 - Cisco (23)
'06 - Douby (19)
'07 - Hawes (10)
When you look at the players Petrie has selected, it's actually a pretty good group. Yes, maybe there were other players available that ended up doing better but, for the most part, his picks have panned out.

Speaking of Peja at 14 I still remember being at Arco for that draft in 96 with my dad bro and friend and everyone in the arena chanting Wallace Wallace Wallace for John Wallace and Petrie comes out and says we have drafted from Greece Predrag Stojakovic with the 14th pick and the whole place just erupts in boos. Boy were we ever wrong lol.
I was there too, as a kid, and I got to do the mock GM draft they had going there as well. I was the GM for the Jazz. I got the pick right too.