Bajaden's crazy, makes no sense, one and only, 2021 mock draft:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet. I took a look into every teams needs, and also tried to consider who might be the best player available as well. So without further ado, here we go.

1. Pistons: Cade Cunningham, PG/SG/SF, 6'7", 213 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Oklahoma St.
I think Cunningham, right now today, is the best player in the draft, but not by much. Three years from now, who knows? There's not much he can't do. Great size, with terrific court vision and passing ability to take advantage of that vision. He can create his own shot and he defends. He has all those so called intangibles that every great player has. What's not to like?

2. Rockets: Jalen Green, SG, 6'6", 180 Lb's, 6'7.5" wingspan, G-League ignite.
Green may have the most tangible upside of anyone in the draft. By that I mean, he may be the most likely to reach his total potential. He has the Kobe look and feel to him. You could see him getting better with every game he played in the G-League. He has a confident air about him. I think he's a future star! Two or three years from now, it wouldn't surprise me if he's the best player to come out of this draft. Not a bad player to start your rebuild with.

3. Cavaliers: Scottie Barnes, SF/PF, 6'8", 227 Lb's, 7'2.75" wingspan, Freshman, Florida St.
The Cav's already have Allen at center, and while Mobley may end up being a better player eventually, I think it would be hard to pass up an impact player like Barnes, who I think will be a star in the NBA. Barnes seems to impact the game whenever he's on the floor. Defensively, it seemed as though there was two Barnes on the floor. If Barnes straightens out his jump shot, then nothing is holding him back.

4. Raptors: Evan Mobley, Center, 7'0", 215 Lb's, Freshman, USC.
No brainer for the Raptors. Mobley is a very skilled big man with above average athleticism and terrific shot blocking instincts. He can score at the basket, and with added strength, that part of his game will only get better. He's also shown the ability to score away from the basket, but still has work to do in that area. When you throw in that he can defend at the basket, and out on the perimeter, you have the complete package. He's a far better player than Wiseman was at the same point in time. If I had a reservation it would be that there were times when he appeared to be coasting, but they were few and far between.

5. Magic: Jalen Suggs, PG, 6'4", 198 Lb's, 6'5" wingspan, Freshman, Gonzaga.
Suggs is ready to step in and play right now. He has excellent court vision and a great feel for the game. While he's great with the ball in his hands, he's quite capable of playing off the ball, where he needs to become a more consistent 3 pt shooter, although he was a pretty good the catch and shoot. Where he struggled was off the dribble. He started off hot, and tailed off as the season went on. He can get to the basket at will, and is tough hardnosed defender. He's also an excellent rebounder for a guard.

6. Thunder: Jonathan Kuminga, SF, 6'7", 215 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, G-League Ignite.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Kuminga slide a bit farther than six. There some serious question marks about his game, particularly his outside shot. There are some questions about his overall height and length as well. He's a very good athlete and has the tools, but he got very sloppy with the ball at times, and fell asleep on defense as well. All correctable, but when a team takes a player this high, they don't like that many questions unanswered.

7. Warriors: Davion Mitchell, PG, 6'1.25", 202 Lb's, 6'4.25" wingspan, Junior, Baylor.
The Warriors are in a win now mode, and Mitchell fits the bill. He's ready to step in and contribute now. He'll bring some much needed defense to the Warrior bench, and if his 3 pt shot translates to the NBA, then there won't be as big a drop off in offense when Curry goes to the bench.

8. Magic: Moses Moody, SG/SF, 6'6", 210 Lb's, 7'0.75" wingspan, Freshman, Arkansas.
One of my favorite players in the draft, and I can't see the Magic passing on him (I hope they do). He fits the type of team they've been putting together. Defensive minded with length at every position. He'll also bring some much needed scoring off the bench, at least to start. I see him as an eventual starter, probably sooner than later.

9. Kings: Franz Wagner, SF/PF. 6'10", 225 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Sophomore, Michigan.
Yeah, there were players with more upside, but I like what Wagner brings to the table. As I've stated before, Wagner isn't great at anything, but he's really good at everything. I think he has one of the highest floors in the draft, and I think he has a higher ceiling than most other pundits. He's one of those players you need on your team to win. And, it's possible he becomes more than that. He was a tough choice at this point between him and Jalen Johnson. I just liked Wagner's all around game better.

10. Pelicans: James Bouknight, SG, 6'4.25", 190 Lb's, 6'8.25" wingspan, Sophomore, UCONN
Bouknight gives the Pel's a weapon off the bench, at least to start. It should be interesting to see how his game develops when he's not the number one option on his team. His ability to finish in a crowd is almost magical. He needs to become more consistent with his 3pt shot, which should happen with less defensive focus on him. Bouknight carried UCONN on his back this past season.

11. Hornets: Jalen Johnson, SF/PF, 6'9", 220 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Duke.
Jalen is one the players in this draft that could/should be an eventual star, an impact player. He has a high ceiling, and he also has, in my opinion, a fairly high floor. I think he's too talented to miss, and I would have loved him on the Kings. So why didn't I pick him? A question I don't have a good answer for, other than I liked Wagner more. But I won't be disappointed if we end up with Johnson. Who shot the three well this past season, but didn't take enough of them to convince me he's a legit 40% 3 pt shooter. His ability to pass the ball, rebound the ball, and defend the ball make him a very enticing player.

12. Spur's: Josh Giddey, PG/SG/SF, 6'8", 205 Lb's, 6'8" wingspan, Adelaide 36'ers of the NBL.
You have to admit, he just seems like a Spurs type of player. Very talented kid with a terrific feel for the game. Some scouts have called him Cade Cunningham light. He has great court vision the the passing skills to use it. Still, I wonder if he can defend, and suspect he'll struggle in that area, which is why I never considered him for the Kings. His 3 pt shot is a bit suspect as well, but other than that, he's very talented offensively.

13. Pacers: Kai Jones, PF/Center, 6'11.5", 221 Lb's, 7'2" wingspan, Sophomore, Texas.
The Pacers need some athleticism in their front court, and Jones will supply that. He runs the floor like a deer and has the potential to be a good post defender. He has the tools to be a good shot blocker, and he has the quickness to guard on the perimeter. He shot the three well, but it was a very small sampling. That said, he shows the potential to be a floor spacer. He's one of the best athlete's in the draft.

14. Warriors: Corey Kispert, SF, 6'7.25", 223 Lb's, 6'7" wingspan, Senior, Gonzaga.
I can't think of a better player to join the Warriors. Kispert may be the best shooter in college, and I think he's an underrated defender. I think the combine testing showed that he's a better athlete than was advertised. His ability to square up while coming off a pick is text book. When he gets hot, he can put points on the board in a hurry. He's also excellent at playing off the ball, knowing how to find the open spot, or cut to the basket. He has very good BBIQ. I think he's underrated by a lot of the pundits, and its scary to think how many open shots he'll get on a team like the Warriors.

15. Wizards: Alperen Sengun, Center, 6'9", 240 Lb's, Wingspan NA, 18 years old, Besiktas.
I'll be honest, I've watched a lot of film on Sengun and I'll admit that offensively, he's a very talented, but limited player. And, if he is indeed only 6'9", then I don't think he'll fare any better than Holmes when defending the bigger centers in the NBA. Probably worse! He's a terrible P&R defender, and simply can't defend on the perimeter. Now if he actually is taller than 6'10", then maybe I'll revise my opinion. But his offense will have to heavily outweigh his deficiencies on defense for him to succeed. Sorry, but I just can't buy into this guy. I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong, if I'm indeed wrong.

16. Thunder: Keon Johnson, SG, 6'4.75", 184 Lb's, 6'7.25" wingspan, Freshman, Tennessee.
With the Thunder in a total rebuild, he's a good fit, and has value at sixteen. He's likely a couple of years away from reaching his potential. Terrific athlete that needs to fine tune his skill set, particularly his 3 pt shot, and his handles. He has all the tools to be a very good defender, and to be on ESPN's nightly highlight reel. He has one of the highest ceilings in the draft. It will be fun to see what he develops into.

17. Grizzly's: Trey Murphy III, SF, 6'9.25", 206 Lb's, 7'0" windspan, Junior, Virginia.
If Murphy were a Freshman he'd likely be a lottery pick, and I probably have him higher than most mocks do. Once he transferred to Virginia, he took a giant leap forward, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. He's able to step in and play right now, and I think he'll eventually be a starting SF in the league. He's one of those players that might be called underrated, but NBA scouts know who he is.

18. Thunder: Usman Garuba, PF/SF, 6'9", 230 Lb's, 7'2" wingspan, International.
Another high ceiling developmental player for the Thunder. Garuba will earn his keep on the defensive side of the ball where he uses his athleticism and brute strength to his advantage. He has excellent length, and has shown promise as a good offensive rebounder. Offensively, he's limited to running the floor, dunking, layups, and being the roll man in the P&R. He has a lot to work on, but his midrange and 3 pt shot show some promise.

19. Knicks: Isaiah Jackson, PF/Center, 6'11", 206 Lb's, 7'2.5" wingspan, Freshman, Kentucky.
Jackson is one of the best athletes in the draft and he showed a lot of potential as a shot blocker averaging 2.6 blocks a game in only 20 mpg. His production improved as Calipari developed confidence in him, and there were times when he was the best player on the floor for the Wildcats. Right now he's more potential than substance, but there's a lot there to mold. He has sleeper of the draft potential.

20. Hawks: Chris Duarte, SG/SF, 6'6", 190 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Senior, Oregon.
Duarte is ready to step in and play right now. If he wasn't a Senior, he be much higher on the board. He's the complete package. Excellent 3 pt shooter averaging 44% from the three this past season. Terrific physical defender who makes his opponent very uncomfortable. I debated him going to the Warriors at fourteen. Duarte is another of my favorite players who will likely go higher in a redraft two or three years from now.

21. Knicks: Cam Thomas, SG, 6'4", 200 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Freshman, LSU.
Thomas scored a lot of points for LSU, but he wasn't the most efficient player while doing it, shooting around 29% from the three. However he shot close to 90% from the freethrow line, so that bodes well for the future. He took a lot of contested shots, and just improving his shot selection will likely improve his percentages. He apparently didn't attend the combine, so I'm not sure of his height and weight.

22. Lakers: Jaden Springer, SG, 6'4.25", 202 Lb's, 6'7.75" wingspan, Freshman, Tennessee.
Springer was Keon Johnson's running mate at Tennessee, and one could make an argument that Springer was the better player. Actually I would make that argument! Springer was the more efficient player across the board losing only in the athleticism dept. That's not to imply that Springer is a poor athlete, but that Johnson was the superior athlete. Being a results guy, I would take Springer over Johnson, but that's just me. In short, the Lakers are getting a very good player. Dam!

23. Rockets: J.T. Thor, PF, 6'9.25", 203 Lb's, 7'3.25" wingspan, Freshman, Auburn.
With Thor your betting on raw potential. Thor is a physical specimen with terrific length and athleticism. While he only shot around 30% from the three, his form looks OK and he shot 74% from the freethrow line. He has the look of a late bloomer, and could be the sleeper of the draft. Or not! He's a great value for the Rockets this deep into the 1st rd.

24. Rockets: Miles McBride, PG, 6'2.5", 195 Lb's, 6'8.75 wingspan, Freshman, W. Virginia.
If McBride were a little taller, he'd likely be going higher in the draft. He definitely has a place in the NBA. He's a skilled player who plays both ends of the court, and while he's a little undersized, he does have a plus 6" wingspan which allows him to play taller than he is. He's just a solid all around player who may not be great at anything, but is good at almost everything. Where have I heard that before, hmmm!

25. Clippers: Ayo Dosunmu, PG/SG, 6'5", 194 Lb's, 6'10.5" wingspan, Junior, Illinois.
Dosunmu was the heart and soul of the Illinois team, and should probably be a lottery pick. He does whatever needs to be done to win. He's a tough hardnosed player, whose not always pretty to watch, but gets the job done. Illinois over achieved this past season, and Dosunmu was the reason, with some help from Kofi Cockburn. The Clippers are getting a very good player that can help right away.

26. Nuggets: Sharife Cooper, PG, 6'1", 180 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Freshman, Auburn.
With Cooper your betting on his playmaking ability, which is excellent. However, offensively he wasn't very efficient shooting around 23% from the three, and only 39% overall. And while he puts out the effort defensively, he's no Davion Mitchell, which if your going to be undersized, you'd better be. I confess to letting other pundits and mocks influence me with Cooper, most of which have him going higher. I don't see it. I think if your undersized, you have to be special. Maybe I'm missing something!

27. Nets: Day-Ron Sharpe, Center, 6'11", 265 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Freshman, N. Carolina.
I probably have Sharpe higher than most, but the Nets could use some muscle in the middle, and Sharpe fits the bill. Sharpe is very agile for a player his size, and I would be betting on his athleticism going forward. I like him better than most, because there's something about him that intrigues me. I see him as an eventual defensive stopper. What surprised me was his ability to move his feet while defending on the perimeter. Offensively he took a grand total of 2 three point attempts, and missed both, so I'm not optimistic that he'll ever be a threat from there. But plug him into the middle and surround him with good shooters, and well, you have the Nets.

28. 76'ers: Ziaire Williams, SF, 6'9.75", 188 Lb's, 6'10.25" wingspan, Freshman, Stanford.
Williams, who had a terrible year at Stanford, has too much talent to pass up at this point. Covid, along with deaths in the family, and injuries all contributed to his poor showing. The team couldn't even play in front of their home crowd. Williams is first rd talent, and probably deserves to go higher, but, his season did put doubt in some minds, and thus, here he is at 28.

29. Suns: Quentin Grimes, SG/PG, 6'5.25", 205 Lb's, 6'8" wingspan, Junior, Houston.
Grimes was the star of the combine scrimmages, and he opened some eyes with his all around game. He shot the three well, defended, and created for others. He looked like a pro among boys at times. He also had a very good year at Houston where he shot 40% from the three. He's more of a SG than a PG, but he can fill in at the point if needed. He'd be a great addition to an already talented team in the Suns.

30. Jazz: Tre Mann, SG/PG, 6'4.25", 178 Lb's, 6'4" wingspan, Sophomore, Florida.
Mann is another player I really like. He's an excellent off the dribble shooter, and has no trouble creating his own shot. He has a killer crossover/stepback that's broke a few ankles, and is almost un-guardable. He does lack a little length, but makes up for it with tenacity and athleticism. He shot just a tick under 40% from the three. Despite his lack of length he's a very good rebounder averaging 5.6 a game. While he's more of a SG, he's quite capable of playing the point where he averaged 3.6 assists. Throw in 1.6 steals, and you have pretty good value at 30.

Note: I'm not going to post a 2nd rd mock. There are so many players of equal ability that its one big crap shoot. However I will list some players that I favor for the Kings in the 2nd rd, and in no particular order.

1. Neemias Queta: Center, 7'0", 245 Lb's.
2. Josh Christopher: SG, 6'5", 200 Lb's, 6'7.5" wingspan.
3. Ibou Dianko Badji: Center, 7'1", 230 Lb's, 7'8" wingspan
4. Nah'shan (Bones) Hyland: SG, 6'3.5", 170 Lb's, 6'9.25" wingspan
5. Joe Wieskamp: SF/SG, 6'7.25", 204 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan
6. Isaiah Todd: PF, 6'10", 219 Lb's, 7'1.25" wingspan
7. Charles Bassey: Center, 6'10.25", 230 Lb's, 7'3" wingspan
8. Jericho Sims: Center, 6'10", 250 Lb's, 7'3.25" wingspan
9. Aaron Henry: SG, 6'6", 210 Lb's, 6'10.25" wingspan
10. Sandro Mamukelashvili: Center/PF, 6'10", 239 Lb's, 7'1.25" wingspan
11. E. J. Onu: Center, 6'11", 240 Lb's, 7'8" wingspan
12. Brandon Boston: SF, 6'7", 185 Lb's, 6'11.5" wingspan
13. Vrenz Bleijenbergh: PG/SG/SF, 6'10", 209 Lb's, Wingspan NA
14. Reluctantly- Greg Brown: SF, 6'8.5", 206 Lb's, 7'0.25" wingspan.

I suspect that at least one of these players will be available when we pick in the 2nd round. Probably several.....

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The more I think about it, I agree, I really hope Moody is there at 9 and he's the pick. They clearly liked Bey and I think he's the closest in this draft to him. I also think he gives the Kings a little more in the iso scoring/midrange department than Wagner or Jalen Johnson. Fox is a largely a free throw line and in guy, Haliburton has shown his ability to create beyond the 3 point line, and Moody would be the perfect middle ground as a free throw line and out shooter. None of them will should get in eachothers way.

I also see the Warriors drafting Jalen Johnson at 7 for some reason. He seems like a Warriors upside type.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Bold statement raising Barnes ahead of Mobley
I think Kuminga is dropping further
I always find it interesting that Suggs who does everything well is never mentioned in the top 2 or 3. I have him as the eventual best player in the draft.

Wouldn’t shock me if the Kings traded 9 to get multiple first round picks……..IF Moody is not there at 9

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bold statement raising Barnes ahead of Mobley
I think Kuminga is dropping further
I always find it interesting that Suggs who does everything well is never mentioned in the top 2 or 3. I have him as the eventual best player in the draft.

Wouldn’t shock me if the Kings traded 9 to get multiple first round picks……..IF Moody is not there at 9
I love Barnes for the Kings but yeah, I wouldn't take him ahead of Mobley considering they need someone they can build around as a scorer and Mobley could be that type of player. The Kings trading down could be an option if it comes with one of Wagner or Jalen Johnson but I would like to see it be multiple future picks, not ones out of this draft if they are looking for picks. The Kings can't get PT for they youngins' they have now so adding more than necessary if they don't fill a need decreases their chances of not getting pushed out in a year or 2 or 3 dramatically.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I love Barnes for the Kings but yeah, I wouldn't take him ahead of Mobley considering they need someone they can build around as a scorer and Mobley could be that type of player. The Kings trading down could be an option if it comes with one of Wagner or Jalen Johnson but I would like to see it be multiple future picks, not ones out of this draft if they are looking for picks. The Kings can't get PT for they youngins' they have now so adding more than necessary if they don't fill a need decreases their chances of not getting pushed out in a year or 2 or 3 dramatically.
You could be right about Mobley over Barnes, but they do have Allen at center, and he's a pretty good center, and young. If they take Mobley, then they'll eventually have to trade Allen, which is OK. He's an asset that many teams would want, including the Kings. I just thought I'd poke the bear a little. There are about 4 or 5 players that I would be OK with at 9. Moody, Wagner, Johnson, Jones are my favorites, and I wouldn't be that upset with either Giddey or Kispert. I think they all bring something that the Kings could use. Obviously I prefer some over others.

I don't expect it, but it wouldn't shock me to see the Pistons select Green at number one.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet. I took a look into every teams needs, and also tried to consider who might be the best player available as well. So without further ado, here we go.

1. Pistons: Cade Cunningham, PG/SG/SF, 6'7", 213 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Oklahoma St.
I think Cunningham, right now today, is the best player in the draft, but not by much. Three years from now, who knows? There's not much he can't do. Great size, with terrific court vision and passing ability to take advantage of that vision. He can create his own shot and he defends. He has all those so called intangibles that every great player has. What's not to like?

Green may have the most tangible upside of anyone in the draft. By that I mean, he may be the most likely to reach his total potential. He has the Kobe look and feel to him. You could see him getting better with every game he played in the G-League. He has a confident air about him. I think he's a future star! Two or three years from now, it wouldn't surprise me if he's the best player to come out of this draft. Not a bad player to start your rebuild with.

3. Cavaliers: Scottie Barnes, SF/PF, 6'8", 227 Lb's, 7'2.75" wingspan, Freshman, Florida St.
The Cav's already have Allen at center, and while Mobley may end up being a better player eventually, I think it would be hard to pass up an impact player like Barnes, who I think will be a star in the NBA. Barnes seems to impact the game whenever he's on the floor. Defensively, it seemed as though there was two Barnes on the floor. If Barnes straightens out his jump shot, then nothing is holding him back.

No brainer for the Raptors. Mobley is a very skilled big man with above average athleticism and terrific shot blocking instincts. He can score at the basket, and with added strength, that part of his game will only get better. He's also shown the ability to score away from the basket, but still has work to do in that area. When you throw in that he can defend at the basket, and out on the perimeter, you have the complete package. He's a far better player than Wiseman was at the same point in time. If I had a reservation it would be that there were times when he appeared to be coasting, but they were few and far between.

Suggs is ready to step in and play right now. He has excellent court vision and a great feel for the game. While he's great with the ball in his hands, he's quite capable of playing off the ball, where he needs to become a more consistent 3 pt shooter, although he was a pretty good the catch and shoot. Where he struggled was off the dribble. He started off hot, and tailed off as the season went on. He can get to the basket at will, and is tough hardnosed defender. He's also an excellent rebounder for a guard.

6. Thunder: Jonathan Kuminga, SF, 6'7", 215 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, G-League Ignite.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Kuminga slide a bit farther than six. There some serious question marks about his game, particularly his outside shot. There are some questions about his overall height and length as well. He's a very good athlete and has the tools, but he got very sloppy with the ball at times, and fell asleep on defense as well. All correctable, but when a team takes a player this high, they don't like that many questions unanswered.

7. Warriors: Davion Mitchell, PG, 6'1.25", 202 Lb's, 6'4.25" wingspan, Junior, Baylor.
The Warriors are in a win now mode, and Mitchell fits the bill. He's ready to step in and contribute now. He'll bring some much needed defense to the Warrior bench, and if his 3 pt shot translates to the NBA, then there won't be as big a drop off in offense when Curry goes to the bench.

8. Magic: Moses Moody, SG/SF, 6'6", 210 Lb's, 7'0.75" wingspan, Freshman, Arkansas.
One of my favorite players in the draft, and I can't see the Magic passing on him (I hope they do). He fits the type of team they've been putting together. Defensive minded with length at every position. He'll also bring some much needed scoring off the bench, at least to start. I see him as an eventual starter, probably sooner than later.

9. Kings: Franz Wagner, SF/PF. 6'10", 225 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Sophomore, Michigan.
Yeah, there were players with more upside, but I like what Wagner brings to the table. As I've stated before, Wagner isn't great at anything, but he's really good at everything. I think he has one of the highest floors in the draft, and I think he has a higher ceiling than most other pundits. He's one of those players you need on your team to win. And, it's possible he becomes more than that. He was a tough choice at this point between him and Jalen Johnson. I just liked Wagner's all around game better.

10. Pelicans: James Bouknight, SG, 6'4.25", 190 Lb's, 6'8.25" wingspan, Sophomore, UCONN
Bouknight gives the Pel's a weapon off the bench, at least to start. It should be interesting to see how his game develops when he's not the number one option on his team. His ability to finish in a crowd is almost magical. He needs to become more consistent with his 3pt shot, which should happen with less defensive focus on him. Bouknight carried UCONN on his back this past season.

11. Hornets: Jalen Johnson, SF/PF, 6'9", 220 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Duke.
Jalen is one the players in this draft that could/should be an eventual star, an impact player. He has a high ceiling, and he also has, in my opinion, a fairly high floor. I think he's too talented to miss, and I would have loved him on the Kings. So why didn't I pick him? A question I don't have a good answer for, other than I liked Wagner more. But I won't be disappointed if we end up with Johnson. Who shot the three well this past season, but didn't take enough of them to convince me he's a legit 40% 3 pt shooter. His ability to pass the ball, rebound the ball, and defend the ball make him a very enticing player.

12. Spur's: Josh Giddey, PG/SG/SF, 6'8", 205 Lb's, 6'8" wingspan, Adelaide 36'ers of the NBL.
You have to admit, he just seems like a Spurs type of player. Very talented kid with a terrific feel for the game. Some scouts have called him Cade Cunningham light. He has great court vision the the passing skills to use it. Still, I wonder if he can defend, and suspect he'll struggle in that area, which is why I never considered him for the Kings. His 3 pt shot is a bit suspect as well, but other than that, he's very talented offensively.

13. Pacers: Kai Jones, PF/Center, 6'11.5", 221 Lb's, 7'2" wingspan, Sophomore, Texas.
The Pacers need some athleticism in their front court, and Jones will supply that. He runs the floor like a deer and has the potential to be a good post defender. He has the tools to be a good shot blocker, and he has the quickness to guard on the perimeter. He shot the three well, but it was a very small sampling. That said, he shows the potential to be a floor spacer. He's one of the best athlete's in the draft.

14. Warriors: Corey Kispert, SF, 6'7.25", 223 Lb's, 6'7" wingspan, Senior, Gonzaga.
I can't think of a better player to join the Warriors. Kispert may be the best shooter in college, and I think he's an underrated defender. I think the combine testing showed that he's a better athlete than was advertised. His ability to square up while coming off a pick is text book. When he gets hot, he can put points on the board in a hurry. He's also excellent at playing off the ball, knowing how to find the open spot, or cut to the basket. He has very good BBIQ. I think he's underrated by a lot of the pundits, and its scary to think how many open shots he'll get on a team like the Warriors.

15. Wizards: Alperen Sengun, Center, 6'9", 240 Lb's, Wingspan NA, 18 years old, Besiktas.
I'll be honest, I've watched a lot of film on Sengun and I'll admit that offensively, he's a very talented, but limited player. And, if he is indeed only 6'9", then I don't think he'll fare any better than Holmes when defending the bigger centers in the NBA. Probably worse! He's a terrible P&R defender, and simply can't defend on the perimeter. Now if he actually is taller than 6'10", then maybe I'll revise my opinion. But his offense will have to heavily outweigh his deficiencies on defense for him to succeed. Sorry, but I just can't buy into this guy. I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong, if I'm indeed wrong.

16. Thunder: Keon Johnson, SG, 6'4.75", 184 Lb's, 6'7.25" wingspan, Freshman, Tennessee.
With the Thunder in a total rebuild, he's a good fit, and has value at sixteen. He's likely a couple of years away from reaching his potential. Terrific athlete that needs to fine tune his skill set, particularly his 3 pt shot, and his handles. He has all the tools to be a very good defender, and to be on ESPN's nightly highlight reel. He has one of the highest ceilings in the draft. It will be fun to see what he develops into.

17. Grizzly's: Trey Murphy III, SF, 6'9.25", 206 Lb's, 7'0" windspan, Junior, Virginia.
If Murphy were a Freshman he'd likely be a lottery pick, and I probably have him higher than most mocks do. Once he transferred to Virginia, he took a giant leap forward, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. He's able to step in and play right now, and I think he'll eventually be a starting SF in the league. He's one of those players that might be called underrated, but NBA scouts know who he is.

Another high ceiling developmental player for the Thunder. Garuba will earn his keep on the defensive side of the ball where he uses his athleticism and brute strength to his advantage. He has excellent length, and has shown promise as a good offensive rebounder. Offensively, he's limited to running the floor, dunking, layups, and being the roll man in the P&R. He has a lot to work on, but his midrange and 3 pt shot show some promise.

19. Knicks: Isaiah Jackson, PF/Center, 6'11", 206 Lb's, 7'2.5" wingspan, Freshman, Kentucky.
Jackson is one of the best athletes in the draft and he showed a lot of potential as a shot blocker averaging 2.6 blocks a game in only 20 mpg. His production improved as Calipari developed confidence in him, and there were times when he was the best player on the floor for the Wildcats. Right now he's more potential than substance, but there's a lot there to mold. He has sleeper of the draft potential.

Duarte is ready to step in and play right now. If he wasn't a Senior, he be much higher on the board. He's the complete package. Excellent 3 pt shooter averaging 44% from the three this past season. Terrific physical defender who makes his opponent very uncomfortable. I debated him going to the Warriors at fourteen. Duarte is another of my favorite players who will likely go higher in a redraft two or three years from now.

Thomas scored a lot of points for LSU, but he wasn't the most efficient player while doing it, shooting around 29% from the three. However he shot close to 90% from the freethrow line, so that bodes well for the future. He took a lot of contested shots, and just improving his shot selection will likely improve his percentages. He apparently didn't attend the combine, so I'm not sure of his height and weight.

22. Lakers: Jaden Springer, SG, 6'4.25", 202 Lb's, 6'7.75" wingspan, Freshman, Tennessee.
Springer was Keon Johnson's running mate at Tennessee, and one could make an argument that Springer was the better player. Actually I would make that argument! Springer was the more efficient player across the board losing only in the athleticism dept. That's not to imply that Springer is a poor athlete, but that Johnson was the superior athlete. Being a results guy, I would take Springer over Johnson, but that's just me. In short, the Lakers are getting a very good player. Dam!

23. Rockets: J.T. Thor, PF, 6'9.25", 203 Lb's, 7'3.25" wingspan, Freshman, Auburn.
With Thor your betting on raw potential. Thor is a physical specimen with terrific length and athleticism. While he only shot around 30% from the three, his form looks OK and he shot 74% from the freethrow line. He has the look of a late bloomer, and could be the sleeper of the draft. Or not! He's a great value for the Rockets this deep into the 1st rd.

24. Rockets: Miles McBride, PG, 6'2.5", 195 Lb's, 6'8.75 wingspan, Freshman, W. Virginia.
If McBride were a little taller, he'd likely be going higher in the draft. He definitely has a place in the NBA. He's a skilled player who plays both ends of the court, and while he's a little undersized, he does have a plus 6" wingspan which allows him to play taller than he is. He's just a solid all around player who may not be great at anything, but is good at almost everything. Where have I heard that before, hmmm!

25. Clippers: Ayo Dosunmu, PG/SG, 6'5", 194 Lb's, 6'10.5" wingspan, Junior, Illinois.
Dosunmu was the heart and soul of the Illinois team, and should probably be a lottery pick. He does whatever needs to be done to win. He's a tough hardnosed player, whose not always pretty to watch, but gets the job done. Illinois over achieved this past season, and Dosunmu was the reason, with some help from Kofi Cockburn. The Clippers are getting a very good player that can help right away.

With Cooper your betting on his playmaking ability, which is excellent. However, offensively he wasn't very efficient shooting around 23% from the three, and only 39% overall. And while he puts out the effort defensively, he's no Davion Mitchell, which if your going to be undersized, you'd better be. I confess to letting other pundits and mocks influence me with Cooper, most of which have him going higher. I don't see it. I think if your undersized, you have to be special. Maybe I'm missing something!

27. Nets: Day-Ron Sharpe, Center, 6'11", 265 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Freshman, N. Carolina.
I probably have Sharpe higher than most, but the Nets could use some muscle in the middle, and Sharpe fits the bill. Sharpe is very agile for a player his size, and I would be betting on his athleticism going forward. I like him better than most, because there's something about him that intrigues me. I see him as an eventual defensive stopper. What surprised me was his ability to move his feet while defending on the perimeter. Offensively he took a grand total of 2 three point attempts, and missed both, so I'm not optimistic that he'll ever be a threat from there. But plug him into the middle and surround him with good shooters, and well, you have the Nets.

28. 76'ers: Ziaire Williams, SF, 6'9.75", 188 Lb's, 6'10.25" wingspan, Freshman, Stanford.
Williams, who had a terrible year at Stanford, has too much talent to pass up at this point. Covid, along with deaths in the family, and injuries all contributed to his poor showing. The team couldn't even play in front of their home crowd. Williams is first rd talent, and probably deserves to go higher, but, his season did put doubt in some minds, and thus, here he is at 28.

29. Suns: Quentin Grimes, SG/PG, 6'5.25", 205 Lb's, 6'8" wingspan, Junior, Houston.
Grimes was the star of the combine scrimmages, and he opened some eyes with his all around game. He shot the three well, defended, and created for others. He looked like a pro among boys at times. He also had a very good year at Houston where he shot 40% from the three. He's more of a SG than a PG, but he can fill in at the point if needed. He'd be a great addition to an already talented team in the Suns.

30. Jazz: Tre Mann, SG/PG, 6'4.25", 178 Lb's, 6'4" wingspan, Sophomore, Florida.
Mann is another player I really like. He's an excellent off the dribble shooter, and has no trouble creating his own shot. He has a killer crossover/stepback that's broke a few ankles, and is almost un-guardable. He does lack a little length, but makes up for it with tenacity and athleticism. He shot just a tick under 40% from the three. Despite his lack of length he's a very good rebounder averaging 5.6 a game. While he's more of a SG, he's quite capable of playing the point where he averaged 3.6 assists. Throw in 1.6 steals, and you have pretty good value at 30.

Note: I'm not going to post a 2nd rd mock. There are so many players of equal ability that its one big crap shoot. However I will list some players that I favor for the Kings in the 2nd rd, and in no particular order.

I suspect that at least one of these players will be available when we pick in the 2nd round. Probably several.....
I'd love to draft Ibou Dianko just based on the name alone

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm starting to think Kuminga will be there at 9. I don't know that it would be a good thing.
Yeah, this worries me too. He seems like he might be a guy who slides past his projected range to the point where teams who didn't work him out are going to have to consider him simply because of the perceived value and he could take awhile to develop into a reliable NBA player or just coast for a decade in inefficient volume scorer mode on a bad team. On the other hand, the farther he slides the more he's going to have a chip on his shoulder which is probably the exact kind of motivation he'll need to live up to his potential. He'd be good on the Spurs or the Pacers in the late lotto -- I think those are the ideal situations for him. They have coaches who will demand that he play within their system and organizational success with similar development projects.

This draft is very boom-bust for me. Not in terms of the players themselves being particularly risky compared to other draft years but mostly because there's been a consistent group of players projected in our range and I really really like half of them and really really do not like the other half. And that has more to do with the changing nature of the NBA itself then the players. The players I don't want us to draft are perfectly fine prospects who could thrive under a very specific set of circumstances but I feel like they've got an uphill battle ahead of them with the current style of play across the league and/or they would severely limit how we would be able to build going forward. If we draft Bouknight, Giddey, Kispert, K. Jones, or Sengun I feel like we're going to continue to struggle on the defensive end. Yes we'll be able to score points but we'll give just as many back. That hasn't worked for the last 15 years, I don't know why it would start working now. For a defensive team that needs scorers like Orlando or Charlotte, sure. For a team like the Kings these are all hard no's from me.

So focusing only on plus defenders, my wishlist right now has 5 names on it: Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody, Davion Mitchell, Keon Johnson, and Usman Garuba. Any of those guys can slot into our rotation and help us defensively while finding roles on offense to compliment what Fox and Haliburton do with the ball in their hands. I'll be thrilled if we end up with any of these guys. I don't have Franz Wagner on either list. I like his defensive instincts and playmaking ability but his outside jumper really needs to translate for his other offensive tools to be effective and he has such a small sample of successfully converting from range that I don't think the gamble is worth it. I also think he's going to have real problems converting that flip shot he loves so much against NBA defenders. If he ends up being a valuable contributor on offense then his defensive instincts should keep him on the floor but if he struggles on offense is he good enough on defense to qualify as a stopper? I think Wagner is going to be very strong within a team defense against stretch 4s and some taller wings but the wing positions in the NBA are trending towards smaller players who are playmakers and ballhandlers. And that's the exact type of player I think he'll have trouble containing in iso situations.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, this worries me too. He seems like he might be a guy who slides past his projected range to the point where teams who didn't work him out are going to have to consider him simply because of the perceived value and he could take awhile to develop into a reliable NBA player or just coast for a decade in inefficient volume scorer mode on a bad team. On the other hand, the farther he slides the more he's going to have a chip on his shoulder which is probably the exact kind of motivation he'll need to live up to his potential. He'd be good on the Spurs or the Pacers in the late lotto -- I think those are the ideal situations for him. They have coaches who will demand that he play within their system and organizational success with similar development projects.

This draft is very boom-bust for me. Not in terms of the players themselves being particularly risky compared to other draft years but mostly because there's been a consistent group of players projected in our range and I really really like half of them and really really do not like the other half. And that has more to do with the changing nature of the NBA itself then the players. The players I don't want us to draft are perfectly fine prospects who could thrive under a very specific set of circumstances but I feel like they've got an uphill battle ahead of them with the current style of play across the league and/or they would severely limit how we would be able to build going forward. If we draft Bouknight, Giddey, Kispert, K. Jones, or Sengun I feel like we're going to continue to struggle on the defensive end. Yes we'll be able to score points but we'll give just as many back. That hasn't worked for the last 15 years, I don't know why it would start working now. For a defensive team that needs scorers like Orlando or Charlotte, sure. For a team like the Kings these are all hard no's from me.

So focusing only on plus defenders, my wishlist right now has 5 names on it: Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody, Davion Mitchell, Keon Johnson, and Usman Garuba. Any of those guys can slot into our rotation and help us defensively while finding roles on offense to compliment what Fox and Haliburton do with the ball in their hands. I'll be thrilled if we end up with any of these guys. I don't have Franz Wagner on either list. I like his defensive instincts and playmaking ability but his outside jumper really needs to translate for his other offensive tools to be effective and he has such a small sample of successfully converting from range that I don't think the gamble is worth it. I also think he's going to have real problems converting that flip shot he loves so much against NBA defenders. If he ends up being a valuable contributor on offense then his defensive instincts should keep him on the floor but if he struggles on offense is he good enough on defense to qualify as a stopper? I think Wagner is going to be very strong within a team defense against stretch 4s and some taller wings but the wing positions in the NBA are trending towards smaller players who are playmakers and ballhandlers. And that's the exact type of player I think he'll have trouble containing in iso situations.
Wagner didn't look bad going against smaller guys though. Also his strength would more on run outs and switching which doesn't require someone to necessarily guard smaller quicker players full time. I think the bigger concern is the bigger wings against those small-ish guards like Keon Johnson. If the Kings were looking at Buddy as the SG long term then maybe you continue to let him slide up. Keon is a good defender and works hard but there is no way that Keon, Fox, and Haliburton aren't sitting ducks against the elite teams. We know how this story goes, and my prediction would be more of Tyrese as that combo G off the bench from here on out just like it was at to end the season.

Regardless, there are enough need filling names that it's probably more than 1 legit wing with size is there for the choosing.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Wagner didn't look bad going against smaller guys though. Also his strength would more on run outs and switching which doesn't require someone to necessarily guard smaller quicker players full time. I think the bigger concern is the bigger wings against those small-ish guards like Keon Johnson. If the Kings were looking at Buddy as the SG long term then maybe you continue to let him slide up. Keon is a good defender and works hard but there is no way that Keon, Fox, and Haliburton aren't sitting ducks against the elite teams. We know how this story goes, and my prediction would be more of Tyrese as that combo G off the bench from here on out just like it was at to end the season.

Regardless, there are enough need filling names that it's probably more than 1 legit wing with size is there for the choosing.
When talking about good defense I see a lot of gray area for including players who move their feet and stay between the ballhandler and the basket and players who successfully apply meaningful pressure without abandoning their positioning. Both could reasonably be described as "good defenders" by scouts but offensive players are so skilled now and so keyed in to finding open shooters off the dribble that we might have to narrow the definition more. In this last season I saw a lot of Kings players move their feet and make the "right play" in terms of their positioning and closeouts in games where we gave up 120+ points. That's just not good enough. It's only good defense to me if you are actively making the offensive player miserable somehow.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

So focusing only on plus defenders, my wishlist right now has 5 names on it: Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody, Davion Mitchell, Keon Johnson, and Usman Garuba. Any of those guys can slot into our rotation and help us defensively while finding roles on offense to compliment what Fox and Haliburton do with the ball in their hands. I'll be thrilled if we end up with any of these guys. I don't have Franz Wagner on either list. I like his defensive instincts and playmaking ability but his outside jumper really needs to translate for his other offensive tools to be effective and he has such a small sample of successfully converting from range that I don't think the gamble is worth it. I also think he's going to have real problems converting that flip shot he loves so much against NBA defenders. If he ends up being a valuable contributor on offense then his defensive instincts should keep him on the floor but if he struggles on offense is he good enough on defense to quailfy as a stopper? I think Wagner is going to be very strong within a team defense against stretch 4s and some taller wings but the wing positions in the NBA are trending towards smaller players who are playmakers and ballhandlers. And that's the exact type of player I think he'll have trouble containing in iso situations.
I have Wagner above both Garuba and Johnson simply because I think he has an easier path to being a useful offensive player. And because with Johnson I think he is a lot less switchable and will likely only be able to guard 1's & 2's and some smallball 3's.

Mitchell worries me in that I don't know if he's a viable starting PG on the NBA level. If not, how valuable is a player that's essentially a smaller Marcus Smart?

Sengun's value fluctuates wildly depending on if he can operate as the lone big or is more of a throwback PF.

I think Jalen Johnson is still my favorite at #9 because of the combination of being a big playmaking wing who has shown the ability to guard 4's & 5's and even some 3's along with surprising off ball defensive moments.

Wagner and Moody are also attractive options and Sengun really depends on his actual size and where his jumper is now. But guys with that kind of production is quality leagues at young ages rarely fail in the NBA. Most of the busts that teams had looking for the "next Dirk" from Tskitishvili to Dragan Bender were young guys who had yet to put up big numbers, not 18 year olds who wion MVP in a very good, grown man's league.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to look at him considering he still translates as a play making wing.
He showed some passing ability but still averaged as many turnovers as assists in the G-league.

That was the same case for Jalen Johnson but for me the eye test was different for both. Johnson had a lot more grab and go opportunities and made a lot more risky passes. Kuminga flashed some secondary playmaking ability but he's not a point forward per se. At least not at this point.

Kuminga has a lot of potential but right now there isn't anything that I'd say he'll immediately do well on the NBA level, especially not shooting.

If Cavs pick Mobley, they will most likely bait this pick for offers that would include Love. IMO, with Cavs only having Sexton (PG) and Okoro (SF) as young cornerstone, an offer that has Bagley(PF) ang Buddy (SG) and #9 could give them enough to fill those starter spot, considering they can use #9 to pick another big as Bagley insurance.

Is it too much for Kings to give? We'll if I take Baja's word that Mobley is better than Wiseman last year, then we are picking for a legit kid. There's is also uncertainty on our who will be our bigs next season. Getting Mobley early can get things sorted out fast. And Love? we'll his back at least in California. Maybe he can bounce back :)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Cavs pick Mobley, they will most likely bait this pick for offers that would include Love. IMO, with Cavs only having Sexton (PG) and Okoro (SF) as young cornerstone, an offer that has Bagley(PF) ang Buddy (SG) and #9 could give them enough to fill those starter spot, considering they can use #9 to pick another big as Bagley insurance.

Is it too much for Kings to give? We'll if I take Baja's word that Mobley is better than Wiseman last year, then we are picking for a legit kid. There's is also uncertainty on our who will be our bigs next season. Getting Mobley early can get things sorted out fast. And Love? we'll his back at least in California. Maybe he can bounce back :)
I think the Cavs are more likely to keep Garland and trade Sexton, if only to avoid paying two PGs.

But if they would entertain that deal (Buddy, Bagley, #9 for Love & #3) I'd take it in a heartbeat if Mobley is still on the board.

Depending on if the Cavs find a deal for Sexton, Barnes might be a more attractive trade piece than Hield for them. He and Okoro would provide a pair of versatile wings to go with their undersized backcourt and Jarrett Allen in the middle.

For the Kings, pairing up Mobley with Haliburton and Fox is the start of a real core.

Last edited:
Cavs get Simmons,Hill
Kings get Love,Thybulle, #3 Mobley, #28 from Philly
Philly gets Buddy, Marvin, Sexton

Cavs get rid of Sexton and Love salary and gets Simmons
Philly gets two shooting guards and Bags
Kings get Mobley, keep our #9, get #28 Buddy and Marvin gone
Sign Noel in FA, sign TD RFA Match

Fox, Wright, Ramsey
Hali, TD,#39
Barnes,#9 SF,Tybulle
Love, Metu,#28
Mobley,Noel, Jones

Last edited:
Cavs get Simmons,Hill
Kings get Love,Thybulle, #3 Mobley, #28 from Philly
Philly gets Buddy, Marvin, Sexton

Cavs get rid of Sexton and Love salary and gets Simmons
Philly gets two shooting guards and Bags
Kings get Mobley, keep our #9, get #28 Buddy and Marvin gone
Sign Noel in FA, sign TD RFA Match

Fox, Wright, Ramsey
Hali, TD,#39
Barnes,#9 SF,Tybulle
Love, Metu,#28
Mobley,Noel, Jones
I love it but I doubt Philly does. In fact, McNair would probably be added to the call block list in regards to Philly.

I love it but I doubt Philly does. In fact, McNair would probably be added to the call block list in regards to Philly.
With all the talk of Buddy, Marvin and #9 for Simmons being not quite enough
Adding Sexton (instead of Fox) makes a lot of sense for Philly
All 3 teams trade players they want to trade
More worried about the Cavs- maybe shift Philly#28 to Cavs-so they still get a 1st rd pick

Last edited:
With all the talk of Buddy, Marvin and #9 for Simmons being not quite enough
Adding Sexton (instead of Fox) makes a lot of sense for Philly
Yes, but the #9 pick was removed and replaced with Sexton. =/=? was there much change in value with that. Reasoning sound but not certain on value.

Again, love it for the Kings.... If other teams low ball Philly, maybe?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
For Philly they'd be getting two guys near the end of their rookie deals that they'd have to pay or lose for nothing. At the very least this would require the #9 pick too and I still don't know that it moves the needle for the Sixers.

That core of Fox, Haliburton and Mobley would be real nice. It is what I was hoping for if we had moved up into the top three.
In the above Cleveland trade scenario we would now need to take on Love and lose the opportunity to trade Buddy and Bagley for additional assets, but I would still do it.

Last edited:
When talking about good defense I see a lot of gray area for including players who move their feet and stay between the ballhandler and the basket and players who successfully apply meaningful pressure without abandoning their positioning. Both could reasonably be described as "good defenders" by scouts but offensive players are so skilled now and so keyed in to finding open shooters off the dribble that we might have to narrow the definition more. In this last season I saw a lot of Kings players move their feet and make the "right play" in terms of their positioning and closeouts in games where we gave up 120+ points. That's just not good enough. It's only good defense to me if you are actively making the offensive player miserable somehow.
Well that's where size and length come into as well. Plus they run a flawed help scheme which honestly, Wagner excels in. The Kings were sending out a crop of 6'4" guys to close out to shooters often times 4" taller and who knows how much longer. It's no coincidence that pretty much all the elite teams have legit size either via bulk or length on the wing. That size and length makes opposing teams miserable, seeing players smaller and incapable of truly pressuring spots shooters gives teams the green light. The Kings routinely through out painfully small lineups or rode with two bigs that while Bagley was a much better shooter isn't anything close to the spread offense of the elite teams either.

Well that's where size and length come into as well. Plus they run a flawed help scheme which honestly, Wagner excels in. The Kings were sending out a crop of 6'4" guys to close out to shooters often times 4" taller and who knows how much longer. It's no coincidence that pretty much all the elite teams have legit size either via bulk or length on the wing. That size and length makes opposing teams miserable, seeing players smaller and incapable of truly pressuring spots shooters gives teams the green light. The Kings routinely through out painfully small lineups or rode with two bigs that while Bagley was a much better shooter isn't anything close to the spread offense of the elite teams either.
I think people look at Wagner see a white guy and think un-athletic. But what I have seen from the scouting reports Wagner appears to have 3 attributes that make for a good defensive players.
1) he has good lateral quickness
2) he has good hips with the ability to flip his hips.
3) great mind

watch how he breaks down his own plays here. You can tell he is a high IQ player that will fit really well with Haliburton.

surprised not to see Jones on your list.

I'm starting to think Kuminga will be there at 9. I don't know that it would be a good thing.
It's harder to scout him than most players because we don't really have any data on how players fare in the G League when skipping college. Could be the norm going forward for very good players to struggle in the G League at that age but we have no idea right now since it's so early in the game.

It's more obvious when a player excels in the G League like Green did but Kuminga has huge question marks. I personally don't think he's worth the risk.

People compare him possibly falling to Haliburton falling but I think it's two completely different scenarios. Hali excelled in college and even had good advanced stats when his numbers looked pedestrian his freshmen year. Most of us were completely shocked that he fell but I don't think many will be shocked if Kuminga falls based on his on court performance.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think people look at Wagner see a white guy and think un-athletic. But what I have seen from the scouting reports Wagner appears to have 3 attributes that make for a good defensive players.
1) he has good lateral quickness
2) he has good hips with the ability to flip his hips.
3) great mind

watch how he breaks down his own plays here. You can tell he is a high IQ player that will fit really well with Haliburton.

I mean, not that I didn't like Wagner, but this video is a heck of a sales pitch. We know Wagner can play, but this shows how he definitely knows the game in and out. The moment that did it for me was at about 17:50, when he's breaking down a play from 12/31, six months before the interview. Paraphrased: "Yeah, the staff did a great job. We knew this play was coming, a pin-down into a handoff, the game plan was for me to go under the screen..." HE REMEMBERS THE SCOUTING REPORT FROM SIX MONTHS AGO.

Sign me up.

I mean, not that I didn't like Wagner, but this video is a heck of a sales pitch. We know Wagner can play, but this shows how he definitely knows the game in and out. The moment that did it for me was at about 17:50, when he's breaking down a play from 12/31, six months before the interview. Paraphrased: "Yeah, the staff did a great job. We knew this play was coming, a pin-down into a handoff, the game plan was for me to go under the screen..." HE REMEMBERS THE SCOUTING REPORT FROM SIX MONTHS AGO.

Sign me up.
Yeah I had similar thoughts. I’m more worried he doesn’t make it to 9.

Yeah I had similar thoughts. I’m more worried he doesn’t make it to 9.
Thanks for posting that video. I had seen it a couple days ago and it really changed my perception of Wagner. I put a lot on interviews.
I’m also a bit curious if he’ll be there at 9.

Last edited:
i'm on a wagner's bandwagon for a past 2-3 months, dude is exactly type of player that we need, playing on position that we need.

only question mark is his left hand, somebody wrote that michigan adjusted their sets so that he can finish mostly with his right hand...
also he's doing that down swing with the ball in catch and shoot situations, but that's far from some red flag.

its hard to neglect his IQ, defence and outside shooting

i'm on a wagner's bandwagon for a past 2-3 months, dude is exactly type of player that we need, playing on position that we need.

only question mark is his left hand, somebody wrote that michigan adjusted their sets so that he can finish mostly with his right hand...
also he's doing that down swing with the ball in catch and shoot situations, but that's far from some red flag.

its hard to neglect his IQ, defence and outside shooting
of course there is always the chance we could trade the pick for some short term attempt to make the play-offs. Tough when our owner has the shortest perspective in sports.

per O’Conner at the Ringer:

SACRAMENTO KINGS
League sources say the Kings have shopped this pick for players who can help them win now.