And the countdown begins and other news, rumors, etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It seemed like a good time to start a new thread.

First and foremost, our angst over our team sure appears kind of petty when you see what's happening in Boston right now. Kinda puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

Now, back to the topic at hand. I'm going to just request that we all remember we're Kings fans, WE ARE SACRAMENTO and we've taken the high road for the post part through all of this. I'd sure like to see it stay that way. We're all nervous, we've all got butterflies and we're all waiting for the announcement to come out, for all the drama to finally be over.

There are some pretty good articles out there from both sides right now. I was actually reading them on Twitter when the Boston Marathon tragedy started to hit.

I'll post some links here shortly and you all should feel free to do the same.

There is a thread in the Lounge about the Boston Marathon. Just remember, no discussion of politics.

Just 2 more games.....
Two more games for the season. Then another 82 next year ;) We ARE keeping the Kings in Sacramento I am 100% sure of that. Used to be 99.9999999% but it's up at 100% with that latest desperation move at the end of last week.

We have charisma on our side and they have a stuffy suit that can only think of one way to solve a problem. Throw money at it.... Unfortunately throwing money at this issue will not say the BOG to vote their way. This is one battle that a rich computer nerd that has no people skills can't win. :)

Glad we have KJ on our side.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Excellent and fair article by Art Thiel of SportswestNW.com

...The NBA already is popular throughout Europe and continues to grow in the developing world, particularly in China. Any Seattle fan who mocks the ethnicity of lead investor Ranadive as a compelling asset of the Sacramento bidders has not been paying attention to economic events in India.

If he gets his way, Ranadive will be the primary owner of the Kings and the primary conduit for the infant relationship between the NBA and the world’s second most-populous nation. How fast can the game grow in India, at least as streamed entertainment available on tablets to several hundred million educated, middle-class, English-speaking Indians? Maybe as fast as Facebook. Which is why it doesn’t hurt to have former Facebook executive Chris Kelly in the the mix for Sactown...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Two more games for the season. Then another 82 next year ;) We ARE keeping the Kings in Sacramento I am 100% sure of that. Used to be 99.9999999% but it's up at 100% with that latest desperation move at the end of last week.

We have charisma on our side and they have a stuffy suit that can only think of one way to solve a problem. Throw money at it.... Unfortunately throwing money at this issue will not say the BOG to vote their way. This is one battle that a rich computer nerd that has no people skills can't win. :)

I wish I could be that sure. My heart agrees but there's a nagging little voice in the back of my mind that keeps reminding me that we just can't count our chicken until they hatch. I am optimistic but I won't be sleeping well until we actually hear David Stern make the announcement.

I wish I could be that sure. My heart agrees but there's a nagging little voice in the back of my mind that keeps reminding me that we just can't count our chicken until they hatch. I am optimistic but I won't be sleeping well until we actually hear David Stern make the announcement.
I'm with you...cautiously optimistic. I just wish I could be sure when the announcement was coming. I feel like it could be any time between now and a week from now, or even later. Someone else said that they thought if the decision was going to be in the Kings favor, it would be announced before the last game, and I want that to be true.

Last edited:

Is that 100 percent certainty based on "pie in the sky optimism" lacking reason, or is that 100 percent optimism based on the facts. Because if it is based on the facts, I don't think the most optimistic person can be 100 percent sure.

I started out at 50/50. Right now I am about 80/20 that the team is staying. Which means for every 10 reasons in this, I feel that 8 of them are reasons to keep the team where it is.

Is that 100 percent certainty based on "pie in the sky optimism" lacking reason, or is that 100 percent optimism based on the facts. Because if it is based on the facts, I don't think the most optimistic person can be 100 percent sure.

I started out at 50/50. Right now I am about 80/20 that the team is staying. Which means for every 10 reasons in this, I feel that 8 of them are reasons to keep the team where it is.
It's based on the information we have. No owner in their right mind would vote to move a team with three of the most important pieces in place (owners/arena/support). We have everything we need to go forward and only an idiot wouldn't see that we have been screwed by the Maloofs year after year. Let's hope the BOG aren't full of idiots. I don't see how they could be as wealthy as they are if they are all morons like the Maloofs.

There is no chance this team gets moved.

What are some of the reasons that some of you are skeptical? Actually, what are some of the reasons you all think that the team could be moved? Has Seattle done enough to actually take the team, and have they proven that Sacramento is not an NBA market?

Last edited:
It's based on the information we have. No owner in their right mind would vote to move a team with three of the most important pieces in place (owners/arena/support). We have everything we need to go forward and only an idiot wouldn't see that we have been screwed by the Maloofs year after year. Let's hope the BOG aren't full of idiots. I don't see how they could be as wealthy as they are if they are all morons like the Maloofs.

There is no chance this team gets moved.

What are some of the reasons that some of you are skeptical? Actually, what are some of the reasons you all think that the team could be moved? Has Seattle done enough to actually take the team, and have they proven that Sacramento is not an NBA market?
The #1 reason that they could be moved for me is that the owners simply might not think like you and me. It's really hard to tell what they're thinking and so that adds uncertainty to the operation. Here are some plausible reasons why the BOG may allow the team to be sold and moved:

1. It is plausible to think that the majority of the owners don't consider it to be significant that the team is being moved despite the current city having those three important pieces in place. The "we didn't do anything wrong to lose our team" argument, while true, might not matter too much to the owners. Other factors might be much more significant (franchise values, market sizes, public subsidies, arena timelines, etc). The #1 thing in favor of the Sacramento bid is that we don't deserve to lose our team. But if they don't care about that, or if they only care about that a little, then a lot of other stuff is in play.

2. Maybe they have concerns about the Sacramento ownership group and/or the Sacramento Arena proposal actually accomplishing what they say they will accomplish. We don't have the details of the purchase proposal and there have been some people who are skeptical of the arena plans, so it is not farfetched to think that the owners might have concerns. Owners might not want to block a sale to very good bidders if they're concerned that the backup plan will fall through and there will still be a team owned by the Maloofs and playing at Arco for years to come.

3. If #1 is true and they think both ownership groups and arena plans are solid, then perhaps they're looking purely at economics. It's certainly debatable which city/ownership group provides the best opportunity to bring revenue to the league and it is entirely plausible that owners will give more weight to the larger Seattle market than Ranadive's vision or the one-team city with an excellent fan base angle.

4. There's a real possibility that even more important than "don't let a team move from a city that didn't do anything to lose them" is the "don't block a sale to an acceptable ownership group and situation" idea to some of the owners. Maybe a few owners are thinking, "hey, I might want to sell to the highest bidder and make an extra $100 million in the process, and I don't believe the BOG should be telling me or anyone else I can't". Or maybe they just don't want to risk a lawsuit or somebody challenging the league over blocking a sale like that.

5. People don't all think alike and don't always know all the facts. Look at national opinion on this. Many national reporters trying to report the story have their facts wrong, it's plausible to think some of the owners will vote based on misinformation. There's also obviously different opinions in Seattle than there are in Sacramento, and there's no reason to assume that the owners will agree with us just because we think we're right.
Those are just some of the concerns I have (beyond the usual, you can't say anything with 100% certainty). Any one or combination of those could sway the most influential owners in the committees, who could then sway the rest of the owners and leave less than 8 votes for Sacramento. Right now I'd put the chances the Kings stay at 75%. But I know enough to know that I don't know for sure how they'll vote or even what the owners are thinking. If we knew what their priorities were, we'd have a much better idea. But all we really know is what Stern seems to think, and that's not enough to be 100% certain in my mind.

Last edited:
Also, this doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but as a big numbers guy I'm really excited about this prospect:

@Ryan_Lillis said:
Ranadive is a "big numbers guy." Data would drive not only marketing the team but on-court decisions, like "Moneyball."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Also, this doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but as a big numbers guy I'm really excited about this prospect:
I'm guessing this means the Red Auerbach philosophy and not micromanaging the team during every game?

I'm guessing this means the Red Auerbach philosophy and not micromanaging the team during every game?
We'll have to wait and see if it means Auerbach, but I'm fairly certain it's not about micromanaging the team during every game. (If you're referring to what Billy Beane does in the Moneyball movie/book then I wouldn't worry, that's as much about him and Art Howe as it is about analytics in general.)

The Kings are already behind in terms of using data and analytics, likely a result of the Maloofs' penny-pinching. It's certainly possible to screw things up when using numbers just like it is with anything else, but if everybody else is getting information and your team isn't, then they had better be awfully good and awfully lucky to make up for it.

We'll have to wait and see if it means Auerbach, but I'm fairly certain it's not about micromanaging the team during every game. (If you're referring to what Billy Beane does in the Moneyball movie/book then I wouldn't worry, that's as much about him and Art Howe as it is about analytics in general.)

The Kings are already behind in terms of using data and analytics, likely a result of the Maloofs' penny-pinching. It's certainly possible to screw things up when using numbers just like it is with anything else, but if everybody else is getting information and your team isn't, then they had better be awfully good and awfully lucky to make up for it.
Maybe we'll finally get a shot blocking defensive big.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Yep, that was what i meant. And I keep recalling the recent interview with Bill Russell, where he said Auerbach's approach was to focus on pieces THAT FIT, not necessarily the best individual pieces at each position.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Twitter:

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 1h

MT @newsbabe1530: SAC Convention/Visitors Bureau will run a Kings video in Times Square starting Tue. Will run every 5 mins for 72 hours.

The #1 reason that they could be moved for me is that the owners simply might not think like you and me. It's really hard to tell what they're thinking and so that adds uncertainty to the operation. Here are some plausible reasons why the BOG may allow the team to be sold and moved:

1. It is plausible to think that the majority of the owners don't consider it to be significant that the team is being moved despite the current city having those three important pieces in place. The "we didn't do anything wrong to lose our team" argument, while true, might not matter too much to the owners. Other factors might be much more significant (franchise values, market sizes, public subsidies, arena timelines, etc). The #1 thing in favor of the Sacramento bid is that we don't deserve to lose our team. But if they don't care about that, or if they only care about that a little, then a lot of other stuff is in play.

2. Maybe they have concerns about the Sacramento ownership group and/or the Sacramento Arena proposal actually accomplishing what they say they will accomplish. We don't have the details of the purchase proposal and there have been some people who are skeptical of the arena plans, so it is not farfetched to think that the owners might have concerns. Owners might not want to block a sale to very good bidders if they're concerned that the backup plan will fall through and there will still be a team owned by the Maloofs and playing at Arco for years to come.

3. If #1 is true and they think both ownership groups and arena plans are solid, then perhaps they're looking purely at economics. It's certainly debatable which city/ownership group provides the best opportunity to bring revenue to the league and it is entirely plausible that owners will give more weight to the larger Seattle market than Ranadive's vision or the one-team city with an excellent fan base angle.

4. There's a real possibility that even more important than "don't let a team move from a city that didn't do anything to lose them" is the "don't block a sale to an acceptable ownership group and situation" idea to some of the owners. Maybe a few owners are thinking, "hey, I might want to sell to the highest bidder and make an extra $100 million in the process, and I don't believe the BOG should be telling me or anyone else I can't". Or maybe they just don't want to risk a lawsuit or somebody challenging the league over blocking a sale like that.

5. People don't all think alike and don't always know all the facts. Look at national opinion on this. Many national reporters trying to report the story have their facts wrong, it's plausible to think some of the owners will vote based on misinformation. There's also obviously different opinions in Seattle than there are in Sacramento, and there's no reason to assume that the owners will agree with us just because we think we're right.
Those are just some of the concerns I have (beyond the usual, you can't say anything with 100% certainty). Any one or combination of those could sway the most influential owners in the committees, who could then sway the rest of the owners and leave less than 8 votes for Sacramento. Right now I'd put the chances the Kings stay at 75%. But I know enough to know that I don't know for sure how they'll vote or even what the owners are thinking. If we knew what their priorities were, we'd have a much better idea. But all we really know is what Stern seems to think, and that's not enough to be 100% certain in my mind.
Thanks for this. Got me thinking... Damn you ;)

From Twitter:

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 1h

MT @newsbabe1530: SAC Convention/Visitors Bureau will run a Kings video in Times Square starting Tue. Will run every 5 mins for 72 hours.
Criminey. How much does that cost!??! Indian daddy warbucks in the hizzzzoooouse.

Brilliant move though. So perfect and in your face that it can't be missed. I would think every owner will take the time to stand and catch it once.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Twitter:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 19m

I am finding I have a quiet, assured, almost solemn confidence. It's lockdown time. Remember this week Sacramento. We win one this time.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Criminey. How much does that cost!??! Indian daddy warbucks in the hizzzzoooouse.

Brilliant move though. So perfect and in your face that it can't be missed. I would think every owner will take the time to stand and catch it once.
Tony Bizjak‏@TonyBizjak2h
Paid for by hoteliers and biz community RT @dakasler: Running pro-#NBAKings video spot in Times Square will cost Sacto group about $10,000

Tony Bizjak‏@TonyBizjak2h
Paid for by hoteliers and biz community RT @dakasler: Running pro-#NBAKings video spot in Times Square will cost Sacto group about $10,000
Huh. Less than I thought. And, even better sign (pun alert) that it's coming directly from Sac businesses and hoteliers.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
And then it hit me... These yahoos in the BOG can't move the Kings, they still owe us reparations for Game 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
My understanding is that we have *no* analytics department, and we're one of the few teams (if not the only team) in that position. It will be quite nice to see that change.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
There is no question that the present potential ownership group knows a lot more about marketing than the previous owners. I wonder if that will influence any of the BOG.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't know how many times I've checked Twitter to see if there's any late-breaking rumors or hints, even though I know the "secret" meetings haven't taken place yet. This is worse than waiting for news of the birth of my first grandchild.

I don't know how many times I've checked Twitter to see if there's any late-breaking rumors or hints, even though I know the "secret" meetings haven't taken place yet. This is worse than waiting for news of the birth of my first grandchild.

There has been nothing from our side... It is unnerving when Hansen took some of the momentum with his raise of the bid, yet no spin from our side for 4 days or so.

I have so much hope for the future of this team with this new ownership group, but i don't want to actually get excited / thinking forward until this whole mess is sorted.... I really hope its over by the week end & we as a fan base can move on to the basketball side of things.

I haven't posted here for a while, but i have always been monitoring the site. So i want to thank everyone who contributes on here for helping me keep up to date with this whole process, because the national media doesn't really have a pulse on this situation. Anyway a big thank you to the people who have been fighting the battles on the ground, that i can't given i'm here in Australia.

Go Kings!!!