Alright, we got the 8th pick, options...

Soon or later people are going to have to realize that the problem with IT as starting PG has very little to do with his size and a lot to do with his style of playing basketball. I mean a joke is a joke, but seriously.
Personally, his size for me is as big a problem as his style of play. I love the guy off the court. Seems like he is amicable. However, the chip on his shoulder is sometimes so large that he can literally forget about team play completely and go hero mode. Physically, he is overmatched on defense due to a lack of height. One on one its not too bad, but on switches he gets exposed easily and often. Not to discredit him in any way, he is a great worker and plays his tail off, but he doesn't fit with the starters all that well (barring any sudden change in play). For that reason alone he should come off the bench (not due to a lack of skill).

Looking like our chances of getting Marcus Smart are even more slim now, the Lakers have brought him in for THREE workouts. Unless Dante Exum somehow falls to the Lakers (not happening) they will probably take Smart

:(

Looking like our chances of getting Marcus Smart are even more slim now, the Lakers have brought him in for THREE workouts. Unless Dante Exum somehow falls to the Lakers (not happening) they will probably take Smart

:(
So who falls to us? Vonleh, Randle, or Gordon? Might get a team in love with one of those guys willing to give up a lot to move up.

Where did you hear Smart was brought in for three workouts with the Lakers? I thought that Smart along with Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton were brought in for two with them.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If Gordon and Smart go early I believe its Randle that falls to us which would make me very happy.
If Randle or Vonleh fall to us, we could potentially haul a lot of value for our pick on the trade market. A big man hungry team like Orlando or Phoenix (or even the Celtics) might pay a pretty penny to leapfrog the Sixers on the clock and nab one of those two guys while they're available.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'd be happy with Randle. Dude will kill off the bench...

...I mean, I know we said that about T-Rob...But um....Optimism!

Vonleh would be cool too.

PF wise we have a lot of house cleaning to do. We are stuck with Landry, Evans is rad but pretty old...more role player than starter, JT wants to be on a different team.... It would not hurt at all to draft a big. Especially one that can play the 5 as well.

I'd be happy with Randle. Dude will kill off the bench...

...I mean, I know we said that about T-Rob...But um....Optimism!

Vonleh would be cool too.

PF wise we have a lot of house cleaning to do. We are stuck with Landry, Evans is rad but pretty old...more role player than starter, JT wants to be on a different team.... It would not hurt at all to draft a big. Especially one that can play the 5 as well.
When we drafted T-Rob I honestly had a bad feeling in my gut but tried my best to ignore it. As for Randle he got a lot of the opposing teams attention when he had the ball so he had a bit of a rough freshman campaign there at Kentucky but recent history is showing us that those Wildcat blue chippers are worth the gamble.

Simmons tweeted more Rondo + Kings stuff today. It's Simmons, so ...

Still. He has connections in that organization. I know that for a fact. That is still my pipe dream.

Rondo for Williams, McLemore and #8 is still our best package. Replacing Williams for Thompson also works, but I would imagine the Celtics would prefer Williams.

I'm sure that would be enough to get Rudy back on board (they are friends) ... at least he'd opt in for one more year here and give this team a try.

Super pipe dream scenario would be to target Avery Bradley as the starting SG. Another Rondo friend (Rondo was the one that asked for Bradley to start over Ray Allen a few years back) ... would that friendship be enough to get Rondo to sign a contract extension? Couldn't hurt.

Please happen.
I would absolutely do that deal but I am not sure our FO would. They cracked the craps during the season when the reports where that we were offering McLemore as part of the trade for Rondo resulting in PDA having a media conference after a training session saying we are not trading McLemore and he is a big part of our team going forward.

I don't think the front office gives up on him that easily. I think they try to manufacture a trade without McLemore.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Rondo/Cuz/Gay would be ridiculous....I'm more confident we'd make the playoffs year one with that core than I am in McLemore's ability to turn into a star.

Rondo is a PG who can, on any given night, give you 20 assists or a triple double. I'd be ecstatic if we can land him.

Rondo/Cuz/Gay would be ridiculous....I'm more confident we'd make the playoffs year one with that core than I am in McLemore's ability to turn into a star.

Rondo is a PG who can, on any given night, give you 20 assists or a triple double. I'd be ecstatic if we can land him.
You are preaching to the converted. I agree with you but the FO's behaviour in that situation was very odd. I am not sure if they were trying to minimize the damage caused by the report to the players involved. I suspect not since they have been pretty open and the way PDA talked, he looked pretty pissed off that McLemore's name was included in the rumor.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
http://journaltimes.com/sports/buck...cle_06b15216-f9ce-11e3-9cda-001a4bcf887a.html

Milwaukee paper says John Henson is available, Would you deal the pick for him?
Yes.

Pretty much the perfect fit next to Cuz if he continues to develop. A goalie with range. He's still a little light in the loafers but it hasn't been as much of an issue as I thought it would be.

Of the two goalies in Wisconsin, Henson comes with less headaches and less offensive liabilities (AND most importantly, a couple more years of team control under a rookie salary).

I always thought Henson was one of their blue chip not-gonna-be-traded guys so the prospect of him being available surprises me.

I think I'm willing to part with the pick but if they're (as the article says) eager to acquire some frontcourt power instead, I will gladly give them hometown hero Carl Landry instead. ;)

Yes.

Pretty much the perfect fit next to Cuz if he continues to develop. A goalie with range. He's still a little light in the loafers but it hasn't been as much of an issue as I thought it would be.

Of the two goalies in Wisconsin, Henson comes with less headaches and less offensive liabilities (AND most importantly, a couple more years of team control under a rookie salary).

I always thought Henson was one of their blue chip not-gonna-be-traded guys so the prospect of him being available surprises me.

I think I'm willing to part with the pick but if they're (as the article says) eager to acquire some frontcourt power instead, I will gladly give them hometown hero Carl Landry instead. ;)

I actually think that's fair if the money works.

gunks

Hall of Famer
http://journaltimes.com/sports/buck...cle_06b15216-f9ce-11e3-9cda-001a4bcf887a.html

**** yeah. I wanted us to trade down for him in the T-Rob draft. Still needs a lot of development, but the type of player he can become one day is pretty much exactly what you want next to Cousins. I'd say he has just as much potential as anyone we can get with #8, and has already proven that at the very least he's a rotational role player.

**** yeah. I wanted us to trade down for him in the T-Rob draft. Still needs a lot of development, but the type of player he can become one day is pretty much exactly what you want next to Cousins. I'd say he has just as much potential as anyone we can get with #8, and has already proven that at the very least he's a rotational role player.
Agree for the most part. He's a good defender and rebounder, he was the guy I wanted in the TRob draft.

If that doesn't happen I wouldn't mind us grabbing Randle if he slipped to us. He's not a great fit, and I know you can compare him to TRob, but at the same time he's younger than TRob was and way more skilled. The guy is a beast. If we keep the pick the frontcourt player I think is the best fit is Aaron Gordon though. I think he has a lot of potential.

Not sure that I would trade pick 8 for him. In fact I am sure I wouldn't but I would definitely be interested in getting him. Right type of player, albeit with flaws that might never be fixed (eg thin long legs and high center of gravity which would not make him a strong man on man defender...can be backed down easily)

But hell, would be VERY interested in getting this kid!

K

KingMilz

Wouldn't the whole point of getting Rondo be to help Mclemore and Cousins imstead of trading Mclemore to get him?

Rondo would work wonders for Ben, but you've got to give to get. No chance the Kings land Rondo without giving up Ben. Unless the the Kings to something nutty like taking Wallace's contract back, but even that ... if the Celtics are going to go young and tank it up next season, keeping Wallace on their books does no harm. He's a perfect tanking piece. I can't see them doing it without McLemore.

As far as Henson is concerned, I love the guy, but I'd have to think his price tag is far lower than our draft pick. For those who like Stauskas (and lets pretend the Kings love him as well for the sake of this argument) I'd be open to dealing McLemore for Henson, then drafting Stauskas. I like Stauskas in general, hate the idea of drafting him with Ben here, but adding Henson and Stauskas to Gay and Cousins are two great role player fits.

I guess what I'm saying is out #8 pick is more valuable then Ben McLemore. At least in my opinion.

I have been a huge Henson fan since his college days. I wanted the Kings to draft him. I can't figure out why the Bucks have been so willing to deal him away. The guy scores super efficiently. He rebounds well. He's a very good athlete. He blocks shots. He doesn't get into foul trouble ...

The only argument for it is that he doesn't play well with Sanders, but who knows if Sanders is even going to play next season?

Apparently the Bucks owner has indicated that they won't be taking Embiid. Can't imagine they would with one of either Wiggins/Parker on the board. I think Cleveland will take Wiggins 1 if they don't trade back to 3 with Philly, either way Wiggins is the likely pick at 1 IMO. Parker 2nd. I think Philly will take Exum over Embiid and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to Smart/Embiid at 4 to the Magic. Embiid could fall to 5 but he won't make it past Utah, or Boston in worst case scenario. Would love to trade up for him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wouldn't the whole point of getting Rondo be to help Mclemore and Cousins imstead of trading Mclemore to get him?
Rondo is certainly the guy Ben would need to have any chance, but no, you are getting Rondo for Cousins. There is no Cousins and McLemore. That's like saying you went onto Jeopardy and won $50,000 and a brand new blender. If you have to burn Ben to get Rondo, you burn Ben to get Rondo. Now if you don't, then there is no excuse for Ben this time. But its a real risk, and one that would still necessitate you going out and getting a veteran shooter, because Rondo can't shoot, and neither could Ben last year. You can't have a repeat this season, especially not if you have gone out and loaded on vets on expiring deals. There is no time for young guys to be figuring it out at that point. you have to succeed, or hrdboild's nightmare scenario comes about.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Rondo is certainly the guy Ben would need to have any chance, but no, you are getting Rondo for Cousins. There is no Cousins and McLemore. That's like saying you went onto Jeopardy and won $50,000 and a brand new blender. If you have to burn Ben to get Rondo, you burn Ben to get Rondo. Now if you don't, then there is no excuse for Ben this time. But its a real risk, and one that would still necessitate you going out and getting a veteran shooter, because Rondo can't shoot, and neither could Ben last year. You can't have a repeat this season, especially not if you have gone out and loaded on vets on expiring deals. There is no time for young guys to be figuring it out at that point. you have to succeed, or hrdboild's nightmare scenario comes about.
not many shooters out there at SG right now. If you do trade away been you better have somebody in your sight and ready to pull trigger.

I know that having a lot of quality players on the team is a good thing in theory, but does it bother you at all about the lack of shooting. Rondo is below average, don't know who our SG would be, Gay is about average, Thompson hits the occasional mid-range, but nothing more, and Cousins can shoot, but is more our inside guy. If Cousins is the best shooter in the lineup how well can the offense flow even with those good players?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
not many shooters out there at SG right now. If you do trade away been you better have somebody in your sight and ready to pull trigger.
Anthony Morrow opted out and played for just over $1 million this past season.

With a Rondo/Gay/Cousins core he's exactly the type of SG you'd want - one that knocks down open jumpers and spaces the floor. He's a decent rebounder at the 2 and not a horrible defender so I think he'd be an ideal pickup if the team dealt #8/McLemore/Williams for Rondo.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...derrick-rose-carmelo-anthony-lakers-grizzlies

NBA Draft Rumors: Bulls could move up for Kings' No. 8 pick

"Chicago has had multiple talks with Orlando, both about the No. 12 pick and shooting guard Arron Afflalo, and with Denver about No. 11, but a source told Sporting News that the Bulls have also engaged with the Kings in a potential deal for the No. 8 pick."

They want McDermott, Harris, or Stauskas
Who knows how serious these talks are, but this could be big for us. We need to get out of that obligation with our pick that we gave up in the Hickson trade. The Kings don't have many assets to trade so not being able to trade picks really hurts us. Also the Bulls have a lot of other picks in this draft and have said that they don't want pay a bunch of rookie contracts this year. My guess is that they really don't want the #8 for themselves either, most likely a 3-way trade and we swing the #8 to someone else.