2024 NBA All-Star Weekend

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Kenny may sound like a hater, but he's right: the only reason why the three-point contest seems like a bigger deal than the dunk contest right now is because the stars stopped competing in the dunk contest, and started competing in the three-point contest and, even then, the fans don't get charged up for a three-point contest the same way that they do for the dunks. A bunch of nobodies doing incredible dunks will still get a bigger pop from the crowd that the biggest stars jacking up a bunch of threes.
Feels accurate. At least for folks of our vintage who remember the 80s and then the brief resurgence of stars going for it a decade later. Did Kenny Walker win the year after the last great Jordan/Nique final? The field that year didn't seem stellar and yet Kenny Walker still gets a card in 2k every year.

Dee Brown too, Ceballos. I'd be hard pressed to find a dunk contest winner not on the 2k MyTeam that the only reason they are there has to be because they won the dunk contest.

I may be wrong but I don't recall seeing Jason Kapono or Voshon Lenard cards since I started playing again. Maybe Daequan Cook has got one. But the rest of the winners are all relatively known for being great shooters in their day if not All-Stars period.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Kenny may sound like a hater, but he's right: the only reason why the three-point contest seems like a bigger deal than the dunk contest right now is because the stars stopped competing in the dunk contest, and started competing in the three-point contest and, even then, the fans don't get charged up for a three-point contest the same way that they do for the dunks. A bunch of nobodies doing incredible dunks will still get a bigger pop from the crowd that the biggest stars jacking up a bunch of threes.
fans can vote for All-stars but its too bad they can't vote for dunkers. Edwards, Zion & Monk in it would be must see TV for any hoops fan

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I know not everyone likes my idea but with the in-season tournament I think they should make dunk and 3pt qualifying a part of it.

Do at halftime or pre-game, each team puts up one player per event - players go head to head and get point for winning, the player with the most points wins the group which will reduce to a field of 6 at the end of the group stage (tie break with two highest rated dunks). Then you add two at-large for each event - either based on best scores of non-qualifiers or by a fan vote.

Also most importantly you give 500k or 1 million dollar cash prize for each.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Considering that I keep hearing that most stars won't participate in the dunk contest because they feel like the only thing that could happen is they get embarrassed, it would probably take more than a million. Better make it two.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Considering that I keep hearing that most stars won't participate in the dunk contest because they feel like the only thing that could happen is they get embarrassed, it would probably take more than a million. Better make it two.
If they could restore it to the luster it had in the 80s it would easily be worth five. It was bigger than the actual game to most of my peers, and it felt like they even took the game more seriously then.

I actually think the qualification scheme could take some of the potential embarrassment out of it ... but maybe it would make it worse?

Kenny “The Tone Deaf” Smith
Why does TNT keep him around year after year, for decades? His act is old, stale, worn out, boring, uninspired, not worth hearing. Candace Parker at age 37 would be great replacement but since just signed a week ago new one year deal with her WNBA team might not be available full-time.

Why does TNT keep him around year after year, for decades? His act is old, stale, worn out, boring, uninspired, not worth hearing. Candace Parker at age 37 would be great replacement but since just signed a week ago new one year deal with her WNBA team might not be available full-time.
I can’t really comment on the TNT show because I’m more of the nerdy nba podcast guy than the comedic/fun/low level analysis show type.

I was just shocked that Kenny used that opportunity to ruin the moment for some. If he comments on the backlash I’m sure he will say he meant that the longer distance took her out of her normal rhythm but she had a great performance so that doesn’t hold water.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Might be the right time for the league to admit that the last dying gasp of relevancy (i.e. fun) for all-star weekend was the Miz hitting that halfcourt buzzer beater that got waved off at the end of the celeb game last year.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
  1. But the three-point contest wasn't spectacular. It just had a bunch of big names in it; the contest itself was mad dull.
  2. How do you know it was boring if you didn't watch?

1. But the three-point contest wasn't spectacular. It just had a bunch of big names in it; the contest itself was mad dull.
  2. How do you know it was boring if you didn't watch?
ok 3 point contest was "thrilling" then, since there were so many different players hitting "26".. and saw some highlights from All Star Game, how can it not be boring with 168 3 points attempts? I boycotted the ASG due to no Kings players selected.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I didn't ask you why you didn't watch: that ain't my business. I asked how do you know it was boring if you didn't watch? Highlights out of context don't tell you whether a game was good or not: there's a "highlights" video of Fox from the Nuggets game that includes a bunch of him missing shots and stuff.

Ryan

I like turtles
People complain about the lack of defense at the All-Star game, but I'm way more offended at all of the pull-up 40 foot three-pointers.
I can't like this enough. NBA All-Star game seems like a great opportunity to experiment with different ways to limit the 3-point line. Maybe it's only available for the last 3 minutes of each quarter?

The original All-Star game was meant to showcase the NBA's athleticism. If I wanted to watch players jack up 3 after 3 after 3 I'd go to a high school basketball game.

Still, I don't think there's much they can do. Social media has made it possible for limitless attention. NBA players don't need this as much as they did in the 80s/90s/2000s