[2024] Gone But Not Forgotten

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Damn.

They shot Action Jackson down in Old Sac. My mom sent me to get Carl Weathers's autograph and I first approached his stunt man. Dude was hella cool and Carl was pretty rad too.

I think I came up with the "he should run for governor gag" long before SNL did a sketch on the matter.

I had posted on FB about Melanie when I heard the news (on bluesky of all places). I love Brand New Key. Forgot that she was a VF fave. The Dollyrots did a fun cover.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I never saw Rocky until I was in my 40s. Strangely, throughout my youth I managed to see the first series of Rocky sequels (II, III, IV) several times. I enjoyed them (never thought they were amazing or became a 'fan'), but as I grew older in my memory they definitely fell into that "fluff" category, and as Stallone consistently made more and more fluff, I never felt the need to catch up with the original Rocky - every piece of evidence suggested it would be fluff. Well, every piece of evidence but one - the fact that it won the Oscar for Best Picture. And that nagged at me from time to time. So finally I sat down and watched Rocky to find that it really did deserve that award, and yes, Weathers' supporting role was a good part of that. The final fight scene in Rocky is one of the, say, 50 best five-minute stretches ever put to film, and that's high praise. And it succeeds in just about every way that it could, in the screenplay, the cinematography, the editing, the sound, and yes, the acting. Convince me that you're a world champion expecting a patsy to throw a fight in the third only to find yourself bloodied in the final round and concerned about nothing but never fighting this man again. Convince me of that while you're wearing a mouthpiece and bloodface from 17 camera angles. Convince me. Weathers convinced me. Well done.

RIP, Carl.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I won't elaborate, because it's too close to the line, but the social media trends in the wake of this news are... something.

That said, I make it a policy to not wish cancer on people. Not even Toby Keith.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Mojo Nixon - 66

The most horrible part about this is he died on an Outlaw Country cruise :(

With apologies to the Dead Milkmen: "If we ain't got Mojo Nixon then this world can use some fixin'"