2023 NBA Free Agency Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Paul Reed Jr. to Jazz 3yr 23 M.

Sixers can match or let him go.
I always liked Paul Reed. I had hoped the Kings would grab him in the late 2nd that year. He's looked good in the GLeague and started showing some glimpses in the NBA last season. Still a little too wild/out of control on both ends, but a really fun and interesting player.

I'm not sure he's worth $8M a year yet, but he could be soon. And since the 76ers still have to figure out what they'll do with Harden, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to match.

So maybe a good upside play by Utah, but I'm not sure where Reed even gets minutes in that rotation. But knowing Ainge, I'm guessing he's still just stockpiling talent and picks to trade for a star and he doesn't care at all about fit right now.

I’m curious what OKCs plan is going forward. They are right on the edge of having too many players to develop. I wonder if they are just going to let the cream rise to the top and let the rest fall off or if they will eventually package a bunch of them plus picks for a mega star. Giannis isn’t going to finish his career with the Thunder. If Dallas collapses, maybe Luka but I doubt it.

Crazy that HGIII is still only 25 years old. If he were able to get his knees healthy enough to play 10-15 min per game, his passing and floor vision would be one of the closest to Sabonis of all available free agents. If we brought him in on a non-guaranteed camp invite, he may be worth a look to see what he's got.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I’m curious what OKCs plan is going forward. They are right on the edge of having too many players to develop. I wonder if they are just going to let the cream rise to the top and let the rest fall off or if they will eventually package a bunch of them plus picks for a mega star. Giannis isn’t going to finish his career with the Thunder. If Dallas collapses, maybe Luka but I doubt it.
They already have more players than roster spots and they'll have 4 first rounds picks next year and another 4 in 2025. With that kind of ammunition they should be able to trade for anyone they want but with superstars all demanding trades to specific teams now, will they actually be able to lure any big names? It seems more likely to me that they ship SGA out and just keep going after whichever phenom is projected first overall every year.

I don't see much of a plan there, it's just a variation on the draft pick stockpiling strategy which got Sam Hinkie fired from Philadelphia -- a process which unearthed one future MVP but was otherwise completely ineffective. Nobody benefits from one team drafting 4 players in the first round -- not the players or the team. Vlade tried it in 2016 and ended up with Bogdanovic, Papagiannis, Malachi Richardson, and Skal Labissiere. He came close in 2017 when he took Fox, Justin Jackson, and Harry Giles. On-boarding a handful of young players at once onto teams filled with only young players and hoping that they thrive in that environment just doesn't work.

As for how this relates to us... at the start of the summer I was hoping we would work out a trade for Usman Garuba. That was before we re-signed Harrison Barnes though which, combined with the expected Sasha Vezenkov signing, effectively eliminates his path to playing time here. After ping-ponging to Atlanta and OKC as a throw-in on salary dump deals, Garuba's cost is basically nothing though. OKC is going to have to cut or waive some guys to meet the roster requirements. So that's something to watch for before the season starts -- what does OKC do with their surplus of players? Having some extra depth at PF/C would make it easier for us to make a trade in the future.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Crazy that HGIII is still only 25 years old. If he were able to get his knees healthy enough to play 10-15 min per game, his passing and floor vision would be one of the closest to Sabonis of all available free agents. If we brought him in on a non-guaranteed camp invite, he may be worth a look to see what he's got.
Unless he’s added size to better guard centers or lateral movement to guard PF’s he’s in such a no-man’s land defensively. It sucks because there are some instincts there … just it doesn’t work with what he has left.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Hhhmmmm waived PJ yesterday.
Waived Delly and Len today.

Hopefully Monte has a move up his sleeve.
Smith is just "reporting" what we basically already knew. Len has been back on a minimum deal for about a week now, so the Len cap hold was obviously gone. Delly signed a 2-year deal in Australia before NBA free agency even started, so his cap hold is just an accounting measure. Nothing new happening here in this report.

sure glad to see Paul Reed getting paid, he earned it. One of the better small stories in the NBA this year gets a fitting ending.

You couldnt really rule out him sticking in the NBA judging by his play back at DePaul.. Always had this sort of a Siakam but rawer type of deal going on.. Glad to see his offensive rebounding numbers went crazy..

They already have more players than roster spots and they'll have 4 first rounds picks next year and another 4 in 2025. With that kind of ammunition they should be able to trade for anyone they want but with superstars all demanding trades to specific teams now, will they actually be able to lure any big names? It seems more likely to me that they ship SGA out and just keep going after whichever phenom is projected first overall every year.

I don't see much of a plan there, it's just a variation on the draft pick stockpiling strategy which got Sam Hinkie fired from Philadelphia -- a process which unearthed one future MVP but was otherwise completely ineffective. Nobody benefits from one team drafting 4 players in the first round -- not the players or the team. Vlade tried it in 2016 and ended up with Bogdanovic, Papagiannis, Malachi Richardson, and Skal Labissiere. He came close in 2017 when he took Fox, Justin Jackson, and Harry Giles. On-boarding a handful of young players at once onto teams filled with only young players and hoping that they thrive in that environment just doesn't work.

As for how this relates to us... at the start of the summer I was hoping we would work out a trade for Usman Garuba. That was before we re-signed Harrison Barnes though which, combined with the expected Sasha Vezenkov signing, effectively eliminates his path to playing time here. After ping-ponging to Atlanta and OKC as a throw-in on salary dump deals, Garuba's cost is basically nothing though. OKC is going to have to cut or waive some guys to meet the roster requirements. So that's something to watch for before the season starts -- what does OKC do with their surplus of players? Having some extra depth at PF/C would make it easier for us to make a trade in the future.
I'm surprised you have such a bearish outlook on OKC. I think they're in a really good spot right now. I don't know why you'd think they'd trade SGA as a 25 year old and restart a rebuild right in the middle of a rebuild. Team surprised everyone and won a play in game on the back of SGA and a bunch of young promising players who are only going to get better.

You're comparing Vlade whiffing on nearly every single draft pick with a team who so far has hit on nearly all of theirs. This team is going to be a problem this year and they're only going to get better as time goes on.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
How sweet it would be that CP3 brings about the demise of the Warriors dynasty. Team filled with players I don’t like, with CP3 and Green being right at the front and center of that dislike.
I still have zero doubt (outside of very possible injuries) it’s going to work swimmingly … and even if it doesn’t they’ll end up flipping CP3 for someone who helps. The Warriors will never fail and it sucks. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.