funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would rank them:
Moody
Wagner (safer than Johnson)
Johnson (great upside, but risky)
Garuba (defense over offense)
Giddey (like his upside, but defense will be a problem).
In general I think big playmakers are a great player type to stock up on but Giddey concerns me. It isn't just his defense but the fact that his shot is slow and funky. That can be said to an extent about Haliburton as well but Tyrese seems to have a better feel for how to get his shot off.

Personally I'm not big on Garuba. He's not a rim protector, he's not a playmaker, and despite the percentages, I don't believe in his shot. No matter how high level a defender you are, if you can't be a threat on offense you're not playable for large minutes. It's why Thybulle still isn't a starter despite being a complete savant on the defensive side of the floor.

Instead of Garuba and Giddey I'd add:

Sengun (depending on measurements)
Bouknight
And possibly Kuminga because I think he may drop, though he also scares me a bit.

As I said a few weeks back, I would love to see the Kings deal for a a pick in the late teens if Ziaire Williams is still on the board and end up with Jalen Johnson and Williams or even Sengun and Williams.

I wouldn't be upset if the pick is Moody or Wagner either though.

I don't think the Kings are guaranteed to land a star at 9 regardless but we already know how bad this franchise can screw up talent when they don't fit. Moody is the type that the league values right now if your team needs defense and length on the wing which the Kings need more than anyone else in that top 10. I say cut out the creativity and go for the slam dunk so they don't whiff another opportunity to improve. They have Fox, Haliburton, and maybe Bagley. If they get a legit starter in this draft that provides need it will go a looong way and who knows, should they need something else maybe you have created enough trade assets or a team a FA will look at as a perfect fit for them.
Yep. I think upside swings are important, but simply drafting damn good NBA players matters too. Drafting player archetypes that have shown to be incredibly valuable "Versatile defensive G/Wings and big 3/4 flex wings that can space", matters a ton when you've already solved the hard part of team-building in having elite scoring/playmaking creation (Fox/Hali/Wright).

Yep. I think upside swings are important, but simply drafting damn good NBA players matters too. Drafting player archetypes that have shown to be incredibly valuable "Versatile defensive G/Wings and big 3/4 flex wings that can space", matters a ton when you've already solved the hard part of team-building in having elite scoring/playmaking creation (Fox/Hali/Wright).
Yep. And when you are without the key ingredient with all those other teams you have to get through and the draft has great options you have to go for it since it's the definition of addition without subtraction. No trades necessary, no huge contract gambles.

I'm cool with Kai Jones Jalen Johnson Davion Mitchell Giddey.

Wouldn't be too upset about Moody, he looks pretty solid to me. Harrison Barnes type, doesn't wow you, but pretty solid.

Wagner would be ok too. Prob same category as Moody, doesn't wow you but probably would be solid. I might give the slight edge to Moody