2021 Free Agency Mega Thread

Do the Kings make a surprise Free Agency splash?

• Total voters
What FA signing was going to boost this roster? We had the MLE and the BAE to work with.

ok and go...
Yeh I don't think too many of us expected much free agent activity considering we have no cash. I do hope Monte finds some way to improve upon the roster in the coming days however. Siakam seems like the best chance for us to really change so I hope there is something in the works there. Maybe some trades will go down after the Simmons ordeal is settled.

Even as currently constructed, does it seem out of the question for this team to win 5-7 more games next year? Improvements from Fox and Haliburton, better defense (thanks Doug and early morning gym guy) and better depth (mostly at the all important center position) could lead to a few more victories in the ever changing Western Conference. Golden state will be a lot better but I predict worse years for Portland (Dame will be traded) Suns (sorry overachievers, wing city will come back down to earth) Pelicans (WTF) plus some middling teams like Memphis and the Spurs. I fully expect we will at least make the play in next year and won't be surprised if we do better than that. Of course some big trade could change my perspective on all this.

I'm still manifesting a Jared Vanderbilt contract when I wake up tomorrow.

Honestly, no loss on Oubre. He's got good size and athleticism and can play the 3/4, but he's a legit bad offensive player. Definition of a "name brand" player.He's the worst kind of "spacer" that's willing to chuck shots, but isn't a good shooter. Basically no creation/playmaking for others and is inefficient while taking a big USG rate.

I'll take Winslow for probably a cheaper tag and bigger upside reward, especially on defense. And still get involved with Vanderbilt/Diallo/Hart RFA in some capacity.

Backcourt of the future not willing us to a 7 seed at least?

We need to trade Fox for Simmons and call it a night
no thanks, if the "young socialite" is busy working on his night life instead of shooting, we should look elsewhere. ill keep the 25/7 pg who wants to win here and bring sac back to the playoffs vs the point forward who will be looking to get traded out of sac in half a season after finding out we have like 2 night clubs in sac

Okay but the fact we only had the MLE and BAE is absolutely Monte’s fault.
God, not this again.

No, it's Vlade's fault. He left Monte a 100+ million dollar veteran core that had yet to even sniff the playoffs. McNair has been outstanding operating on the fringes of what he was given in assets from Vlade who left the warchest absolutely barren.

If it was up to you, you would have dealt Holmes/Barnes/Buddy at the deadline for scraps. You were completely wrong on Holmes and our ability to resign him with the early bird. I imagine you'll be wrong on Buddy too once the dust settles. This FA market only boosted Buddy's contract and appeal as a 3 year declining deal compared to what some of these teams had to pay.

Last edited:
I'd give the Hornets a call about Bridges and/or Cody Martin. They're all of a sudden pretty crowded:

Melo
Rozier || Bouknight
Hayward || Oubre
PJ Washington || Jalen McDaniels
Plumlee || Kai Jones

With both Bridges and Martin heading to RFA after next season. Cody Martin has been an analytics break-out candidate for a few years now, would love to take a buy-low on him. Really intelligent defensive wing with a big wingspan and some playmaking ability.

no thanks, if the "young socialite" is busy working on his night life instead of shooting, we should look elsewhere. ill keep the 25/7 pg who wants to win here and bring sac back to the playoffs vs the point forward who will be looking to get traded out of sac in half a season after finding out we have like 2 night clubs in sac
Have to agree the socialite thing left a bad taste in my mouth. I think it boils down to how good you think Hali and Davion can be, because if Hali is a future max player then you have to pull the trigger on Fox-Simmons unless you're getting some superb package for Buddy and Bagley.

I do think "wanting to win here" is overrated though, given that we drafted him and signed him to a max deal. It's not as if Fox is promising that he'll be a forever King regardless of whether we make strides or not. Not too long ago we were all pretty stoked to have a core of Bagley Fox and Buddy who wanted to be here and win. I doubt any of the guys don't WANT to win here, they just might differ on how realistic that scenario is.

I'd give the Hornets a call about Bridges and/or Cody Martin. They're all of a sudden pretty crowded:

Melo
Rozier || Bouknight
Hayward || Oubre
PJ Washington || Jalen McDaniels
Plumlee || Kai Jones

With both Bridges and Martin heading to RFA after next season. Cody Martin has been an analytics break-out candidate for a few years now, would love to take a buy-low on him. Really intelligent defensive wing with a big wingspan and some playmaking ability.
I was about to post the same thing about bridges. Charlottes now has Hayward, oubre and bridges now and look pretty thin on bigs. Salaries don’t match but bagley for bridges looks appealing

I was about to post the same thing about bridges. Charlottes now has Hayward, oubre and bridges now and look pretty thin on bigs. Salaries don’t match but bagley for bridges looks appealing
I think that base makes a ton of sense for both teams. Balance out each others rosters, both guys have been disappointing so far in their careers, could use a change of scenery. Bagley next to PJ, who can space and is a good defender. Kai Jones projects as the same thing. Bridges offers that 3/4 flex wing potential that we have exactly 1 NBA caliber player at (maybe 2 with Harkless I guess)

id say people that want Fox for Simmons is in the minority and I doubt it happens. Kings just don’t get these kind of trades (Siakam prolly not happening either).

id say people that want Fox for Simmons is in the minority and I doubt it happens. Kings just don’t get these kind of trades (Siakam prolly not happening either).
My poll question would be if Simmons fixes his willingness to shoot (not his shooting itself, but at least being aggressive to drive etc), and assuming you can't get a worthwhile package for Buddy, and assuming Fox develops the way you think he is going to develop, would you trade Fox for Simmons straight up?

My poll question would be if Simmons fixes his willingness to shoot (not his shooting itself, but at least being aggressive to drive etc), and assuming you can't get a worthwhile package for Buddy, and assuming Fox develops the way you think he is going to develop, would you trade Fox for Simmons straight up?
Good question. I am unsure (and of course it is hypothetical). But regarding Simmons I guess he just lost his confidence in Philly due to his role/the situation/what ever. He showed that he can do that and I think in a different team/setting he will be aggressive again. If he ever learns to shot? Dunno but I think he can regain his aggressiveness.

Oh I love it! People melting down because we didn’t sign Kelly Oubre to the MLE, when he got a bigger offer. It is Kelly Oubre, folks! Let’s wait and see what happens with Buddy and if we use our MLE. I for one am not going to be worried about missing on the likes of Kuzma or Oubre. Those guys are losers who just continue the already losing mentality in Sac.
Who is melting down because of Oubre? A lot of us didn't want him regardless since he plays below average basketball.

Who is melting down because of Oubre? A lot of us didn't want him regardless since he plays below average basketball.
Read the posts from about 9:30-10:30 pm last night. Maybe meltdown is too strong, but several posters were throwing in the towel on our off-season over the news that Oubre is going to Charlotte.