2016 NBA Draft Discussion

It's hard to figure out what the Nuggets want. They're pretty set at every position, but I could see them trying to improve SG. However, PG is a possibility if they're wary on Mudiay's development.

I know there's several people here who suggested that the Pelicans pick Poeltl, why? The Pelicans already have Asik who is a passable 20mpg player. The Pelicans desperately need a PG or SG. I think they draft one of Hield/Dunn/Murray, and maybe Brown. Stranger things have happened.

I don't think Brown would be a good fit for the Kings. He's more of a project, and Joerger hasn't really developed any players under his wing. If Brown is there at 8, I think there would be A LOT of teams calling to move up. Similar to Justise Winslow last year. It would be a difficult decision.

I think I would.
With their strong international scouting and their need at the wing positions I could see Denver taking Luwawu over Dunn at 7. But who knows.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Players that I thought stood out in yesterdays five on five at the combine were, in no particular order than the what comes out of my scrambled egg mind.

One of the most impressive players was the diminutive PG, Kay Felder. He looks like an Isaiah Thomas clone. Standing 5'9.5" he made life miserable for another small PG, Kat Barber, who struggle to get anything done when Felder was guarding him. On the other hand, Felder had no problem operating against Barber. Felder did it all, scoring when necessary, and setting up his teammates. Curious to see if he can replicate that performance today.

I think Robert Carter really helped himself. He shot the three very well, hit a couple of midrange shots, and scored with a couple of hookshot in the post. And, he actually looked good on the defensive side as well. He's a bit undersized for the PF position at 6'8.5", but if Carter, who has dropped his weight from around 280 to its present 250 can get his weight down another 15 or so pounds, he could be a good NBA player at the stretch four position.

Biggest surprise was Cheick Diallo, who may have played more minutes yesterday than he did all year at Kansas. He's very raw, but showed off what he's capable of, blocking shots, rebounding, and getting easy garbage baskets . He even hit a little 15 foot jumper. He has a long way to go, but he showed intensity and hustle yesterday. I think he has a future in the league, It's just going to take him a while.

The most impressive player yesterday in my opinion was DeAndre Bembry. he has nice size for the SG position at 6'5.75", and is very talented. He looked like an NBA player playing with a bunch of wanabe's. Very smooth athlete, who yesterday, hit his jumper, which has been the biggest question about him. He handles the ball well and showed off his passing skills. If he can replicate that performance today, I think he'll definitely start moving up the draft board. He's a very good defender as well.

Another kid I like who played well was Isaiah Whitehead. He's listed as a 6'4.5" combo guard, but I think he can play the point in the NBA. Seton Hall played Providence twice last season and he more than held his own against Kris Dunn. He's a tenacious defender and he can shoot the ball. He needs to get a lot stronger, and that's where Dunn has the advantage, but I really like Whitehead, who played very well yesterday.

Malcolm Brogdon hid what he does yesterday. Scored quietly, and played his usual smothering defense. At 6'5.5", he has good soze for the SG position. he can shoot the ball, and he can defend the ball. He's an underrated passer and playmaker. He definitely has a place in the NBA. He's the type of player you want coming off your bench.

Ben Bentil started off the game sizzling, hitting his first 4 shots before coming back to earth. Bentil is a little undersized for the PF position at 6'8.25", so he'll have to audition for the stretch four positon. He has the ability to hit the three, and is athletic enough to guard the position and he's a decent rebounder. Anyway, he made a case for himself yesterday.

I thought that Jake Layman and Michael Gbinije both played well yesterday. Neither got the touches he needed to stand out, but Layman played excellent defense, blocking a shot, and keeping anyone he guarded in front of him. He's a very good athlete. He even put the ball on the floor and attacked a couple of times. Similar story for Gbinije who I thought play well. Anxious to see both today.

I should mention that just about everyone mentioned will be a second round pick, although I think that Brogdon, Whitehead, and particularly Bembry could move into the first round. I was very impressed with Bembry yesterday.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Players that I thought stood out in yesterdays five on five at the combine were, in no particular order than the what comes out of my scrambled egg mind.

One of the most impressive players was the diminutive PG, Kay Felder. He looks like an Isaiah Thomas clone. Standing 5'9.5" he made life miserable for another small PG, Kat Barber, who struggle to get anything done when Felder was guarding him. On the other hand, Felder had no problem operating against Barber. Felder did it all, scoring when necessary, and setting up his teammates. Curious to see if he can replicate that performance today.

I think Robert Carter really helped himself. He shot the three very well, hit a couple of midrange shots, and scored with a couple of hookshot in the post. And, he actually looked good on the defensive side as well. He's a bit undersized for the PF position at 6'8.5", but if Carter, who has dropped his weight from around 280 to its present 250 can get his weight down another 15 or so pounds, he could be a good NBA player at the stretch four position.

Biggest surprise was Cheick Diallo, who may have played more minutes yesterday than he did all year at Kansas. He's very raw, but showed off what he's capable of, blocking shots, rebounding, and getting easy garbage baskets . He even hit a little 15 foot jumper. He has a long way to go, but he showed intensity and hustle yesterday. I think he has a future in the league, It's just going to take him a while.

The most impressive player yesterday in my opinion was DeAndre Bembry. he has nice size for the SG position at 6'5.75", and is very talented. He looked like an NBA player playing with a bunch of wanabe's. Very smooth athlete, who yesterday, hit his jumper, which has been the biggest question about him. He handles the ball well and showed off his passing skills. If he can replicate that performance today, I think he'll definitely start moving up the draft board. He's a very good defender as well.

Another kid I like who played well was Isaiah Whitehead. He's listed as a 6'4.5" combo guard, but I think he can play the point in the NBA. Seton Hall played Providence twice last season and he more than held his own against Kris Dunn. He's a tenacious defender and he can shoot the ball. He needs to get a lot stronger, and that's where Dunn has the advantage, but I really like Whitehead, who played very well yesterday.

Malcolm Brogdon hid what he does yesterday. Scored quietly, and played his usual smothering defense. At 6'5.5", he has good soze for the SG position. he can shoot the ball, and he can defend the ball. He's an underrated passer and playmaker. He definitely has a place in the NBA. He's the type of player you want coming off your bench.

Ben Bentil started off the game sizzling, hitting his first 4 shots before coming back to earth. Bentil is a little undersized for the PF position at 6'8.25", so he'll have to audition for the stretch four positon. He has the ability to hit the three, and is athletic enough to guard the position and he's a decent rebounder. Anyway, he made a case for himself yesterday.

I thought that Jake Layman and Michael Gbinije both played well yesterday. Neither got the touches he needed to stand out, but Layman played excellent defense, blocking a shot, and keeping anyone he guarded in front of him. He's a very good athlete. He even put the ball on the floor and attacked a couple of times. Similar story for Gbinije who I thought play well. Anxious to see both today.

I should mention that just about everyone mentioned will be a second round pick, although I think that Brogdon, Whitehead, and particularly Bembry could move into the first round. I was very impressed with Bembry yesterday.
Bembry needs to be consistent with his jumper but he really looks to be a nice pickup for a playoff team drafting near the end of round one.

Bentil reminds me of Paul Millsap (the Hawks version) though he's not nearly as strong on the glass.

Robert Carter might not have ideal height but he's slightly taller, longer and bigger than Draymond Green. He's also got a bit of the Draymond in that he makes up for his height a bit with a long wingspan AND he's really versatile on offense. Unlike Draymond, he's weak defensively but part of that is the extra weight he's carrying. Somebody will like his versatility and grab him very early in the 2nd I bet.

Denzel Valentine is growing on me, if we stay at #8 or #9 in the draft.

He seems like a Klay Thompson prototype shooting guard.

Super smart and high basketball IQ and fantastic shooter. Has great handles and can play PG, SG or SF. Not super athletic, but has long arms and a glue type player. Played point forward in his college system.

I think if the Kings stay at #8 or #9, Valentine may be the plug and ready to play type Shooting Guard the Kings need for their new motion offense.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Super smart and high basketball IQ and fantastic shooter. Has great handles and can play PG, SG or SF. Not super athletic, but has long arms and a glue type player. Played point forward in his college system.

I think if the Kings stay at #8 or #9, Valentine may be the plug and ready to play type Shooting Guard the Kings need for their new motion offense.
Valentine is just so bad defensively that I have a hard time with the idea of the Kings drafting him. And I think it's generous to say he's "not super athletic". I think he's a below average to poor athlete on the NBA level. Loved watching him play in college but I'm not sure Valentine's strengths will translate to the NBA and I think his weaknesses will be magnified.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

I'm not sure I would compare Valentine too much to Klay - not only is Valentine almost two inches shorter (though I think he's actually a tiny bit longer I still wouldn't consider putting him at SF) but I don't think their games are that similar. Thompson works well off the ball, while Valentine is a lead guard with really really great court vision and great leadership intangibles.

In fact, with Valentine on our roster I'd be tempted to "invert" the guards - play Valentine at PG on offense and SG on defense, while playing DC/Seth at SG on offense and on the PG on defense. One of Valentine's strengths is that he's a good defensive rebounder, so you can have your PG crashing the boards while your SGs look to get a FB opportunity.

The knock on Valentine is his athleticism/defense. My eye doesn't tell me he can't hold his own in the NBA, but a lot of people make that claim. He'll definitely need to put work in on that side of the ball, but I feel like he's got the work ethic to get up to at least an acceptable level on D.

I'd really like to find a way to get him, honestly. Is he the best player available at #8? I don't know, but the consensus would seem to say no. Still, consensus means nothing once the draft is over and I'll trust our FO to make that decision between a guy like Valentine or a Poeltl, or an Ellenson, or a Luwawu, or... It seems pretty wide open.

Bentil and Carter are two guys, who are getting buckets within the flow of the game.
Carter wasn't trying hard in college on D, but he clearly has tools, and yesterday he was active and attentive and it showed.

Felder wasn't facing a lot of size and was very comfortable. Barely made any mistakes and shots were falling.

A.J. English looked pretty good, until late in the game, when he was very aggressively trapped, and just couldn't cope with the pressure (inbound plays were very bad though, giving him no space to go). He can do a bit of everything on both ends of the floor with shooting being his elite skill. And English has size to play SG, so can potentially give you bench playmaking from 2-spot. Will be 24 y.o. by the start of the season, so he's most likely going undrafted or might be picked in the 50s.

Bembry was playing same very effective attacking game as in college. Wonder, if today his defender will give him the room and dare to shoot.

Diallo was active and engaged on both ends. That jumper was the only really impressive thing, considering it was and-1 play: Cheik was clearly slapped on the wrist, but it was still nothing but net.

White team in the second game was just chucking very quickly in the shot-clock, and then turned around and played with little effort on D.

P.S. Barely anyone appeared enthusiastic about being interviewed by the Kings, and so far only Jaylen Brown, Chriss and Gary Payton II mentioned talks with Kings. Wonder, who the other dozen prospects were. So far it's 2 guys with California ties and lottery projection and second-round "sleeper", who looks and plays like smaller Marcus Smart.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Valentine is just so bad defensively that I have a hard time with the idea of the Kings drafting him. And I think it's generous to say he's "not super athletic". I think he's a below average to poor athlete on the NBA level. Loved watching him play in college but I'm not sure Valentine's strengths will translate to the NBA and I think his weaknesses will be magnified.
Yeah, sadly I agree. Valentine is someone that has made the most out of what he has. He's a very good shooter, and a terrific passer with great court vision. But defensively, he's a huge liability. He has zero lateral quickness. He certainly puts out the effort, but he couldn't guard in college, how so you think he'll do in the NBA? I wish I could say something different about him because I really liked watching him play. He might be a decent fit on a contending team that could spot him in games. But the Kings need a guy that can start, and I don't think he's it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bentil and Carter are two guys, who are getting buckets within the flow of the game.
Carter wasn't trying hard in college on D, but he clearly has tools, and yesterday he was active and attentive and it showed.

Felder wasn't facing a lot of size and was very comfortable. Barely made any mistakes and shots were falling.

A.J. English looked pretty good, until late in the game, when he was very aggressively trapped, and just couldn't cope with the pressure (inbound plays were very bad though, giving him no space to go). He can do a bit of everything on both ends of the floor with shooting being his elite skill. And English has size to play SG, so can potentially give you bench playmaking from 2-spot. Will be 24 y.o. by the start of the season, so he's most likely going undrafted or might be picked in the 50s.

Bembry was playing same very effective attacking game as in college. Wonder, if today his defender will give him the room and dare to shoot.

Diallo was active and engaged on both ends. That jumper was the only really impressive thing, considering it was and-1 play: Cheik was clearly slapped on the wrist, but it was still nothing but net.

White team in the second game was just chucking very quickly in the shot-clock, and then turned around and played with little effort on D.

P.S. Barely anyone appeared enthusiastic about being interviewed by the Kings, and so far only Jaylen Brown, Chriss and Gary Payton II mentioned talks with Kings. Wonder, who the other dozen prospects were. So far it's 2 guys with California ties and lottery projection and second-round "sleeper", who looks and plays like smaller Marcus Smart.
Well to be fair, the reporting from the combine has been spotty. It's possible that Kings have interviewed a lot more of the players, but we haven't had it reported. I wouldn't know about Chriss or Brown if Brown hadn't mentioned it at the combine, and the Bee hadn't ran a story about Chriss. Ditto Payton. It would be nice to know who, so we could get an idea of what types of players the Kings are interested in.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Kings, who have the 58th pick in the second round, picked Felder and he ended up being a clone of Isaiah Thomas. Wouldn't be a total shock since he models his game after Thomas.

Teams can meet up to 18 guys at the Combine, and I'm sure, each available opportunity is used. Often these interviews are used for guys, who teams are not going to/may not have a chance to workout - I think, every team has some sort of knowledge bank with info on any potential NBA player by now. Still most of the time first-rounders at least come from a list of interviewees.
One of Bulls' beat writers report, that Kings also talked to Demetrius Jackson.

Might be behind the learning curve. You know, lets be honest here. I really, really like the potential that Chriss has, but the dude isn't ready to step onto an NBA floor right now and contribute, unless I missed something during the past season. Now I don't have any objections to the Kings drafting him, but I think everyone needs to know that he's very raw and that it will take some time for him to get up to speed. He has the potential, with emphasis on the word potential, to be a very good two way stretch four PF in the league. He really needs to work on his rebounding ball handling and court awareness.

For everyone that thinks he might be a perfect fit next to Cousins, I thought Willie Cauley-Stein was the perfect fit next to Cousins. Do we want to take on a project for a position where we don't have a need? Just asking. Now if you think he's the best player available, then go for it. He's a bright well spoken kid, but so is Jaylen Brown, who is also a project. What makes Chriss a better choice than Brown? Just asking!
I think Chriss will be limited to a very minor role in his first year, but it'll be a good one.

WCS will be a perfect fit on defense. However, on offense, that's a completely different story. His ft% is up, but his stroke is still extremely inconsistent.
Chriss at his ceiling, could provide almost everything WCS does on defense. (not as good of a shotblocker)

I personally think Chriss has a higher ceiling than Brown. His skillset is extremely unique for a big. Athletic PF who can play above the rim, shoot from 3pt, face up, and post up. The most impressive part is the fact that he looks like a guard/wing running the floor.

There's something special about Chriss.

He's a 6'10 PF with the athleticism of Gerald Green.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think Chriss will be limited to a very minor role in his first year, but it'll be a good one.

WCS will be a perfect fit on defense. However, on offense, that's a completely different story. His ft% is up, but his stroke is still extremely inconsistent.
Chriss at his ceiling, could provide almost everything WCS does on defense. (not as good of a shotblocker)

I personally think Chriss has a higher ceiling than Brown. His skillset is extremely unique for a big. Athletic PF who can play above the rim, shoot from 3pt, face up, and post up. The most impressive part is the fact that he looks like a guard/wing running the floor.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not opposed to Chriss. You know what he is, and so do I, but a lot of people on the forum don't. So I want them to understand what their getting, if indeed we do draft him. He's a terrible rebounder, and a foul magnet. At one point in the season he fouled out of 7 games in a row. If you look at his minutes per game, their less than they should be because he was in foul trouble in almost every game. So he's a work in progress, and it might be worth it, but it's not going to happen overnight. But, he could end up being the best player in this draft down the road.

Chriss also moves, dribbles, passes and defends same as Gerald Green. Kings should let someone else shoot for the stars.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well to be fair, the reporting from the combine has been spotty. It's possible that Kings have interviewed a lot more of the players, but we haven't had it reported. I wouldn't know about Chriss or Brown if Brown hadn't mentioned it at the combine, and the Bee hadn't ran a story about Chriss. Ditto Payton. It would be nice to know who, so we could get an idea of what types of players the Kings are interested in.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Kings, who have the 58th pick in the second round, picked Felder and he ended up being a clone of Isaiah Thomas. Wouldn't be a total shock since he models his game after Thomas.
Fielder also recorded one of the highest verticals in combine history at 44 inches. Not all that surprising considering how easily he dunks at 5'9".

I think he'll be taken within the first 10 picks or so of the 2nd round largely because IT's success will ease GM's concerns over his height.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hield and Felder would be my ideal scenario.
I'm afraid our chances of geting Hield, Murray, or Dunn are very slim unless we get lucky in the lottery. Jaylen Brown is a possibility, but who knows. A lot depends on whose picking in front of us, and their needs. I've listened to several interviews with Brown, and he's a very intelligent young man. Well spoken, and he seems to know his limitations, and what he needs to work on. Some people like Marquise Chriss, but he's a huge project. Brown has a lot of rough edges as well, but he's not as big a project as Chriss, and like Chriss, he's an elite athlete.

From the interviews they've conducted, the Kings seem to be looking at SG's and PG's, or combo guards. The problem is, once you get past the one's mentioned, there isn't a candidate worthy of the 8th pick. There are however several big men that are worthy. So do you take the best player available if he happens to be a big man, or do you reach and hope?

In the five on fives yesterday it was the usual suspects that showed up. Ben Bentil, the 6'8.5' PF from Providence almost repeated his accomplishments from the day before. He shot the ball well from the three, scored around the basket, rebounded, and played solid defense. He may have moved himself into the bottom of the first round. He projects as a stretch four. He's probably the closest player to resembling Drayman Green in the five on fives. Don't read more into that than it deserves.

DeAndre Bembry had another solid game. He's not spectacular, just very efficient. He handles the ball very well and has impressive court vision. He's an excellent passer, and a very good athlete. He knows how to play the game. He is a player that makes his teammates better. His outside shot needs to improve, but other than that, I really like what I see from him.

Robert Carter came back and almost repeated his game from the day before. Carter, like Bentil probably has to make it as a stretch four. He has an effortless three point shot, and he shot it very well both days at the combine. Unlike Bentil, who has the slender look of an athlete, Carter looks more like Cousins with broad shoulder and a thick chest. He could, in a pinch, play some center in the NBA. Carter rebounded well and scored in the post as well. I still think that if Carter could lose another 10 or 15 pounds, he could be a solid NBA player. With all the talent that Maryland had, I thought there were times when Carter was their best player.

Cheick Diallo had another decent to good day doint what he's capable of doing. Don't know if he's going back to school or not, but if he stays in the draft, someone will take him in the first round. I thought that Layman and Whitehead had solid, but not outstanding games yesterday. Each of them had their moments. Whitehead is sort of a poor man's Kris Dunn. Actually, I think he's better than that. He's someone to keep your eye on. If he's sitting there in the 2nd round when we pick, I'm taking him and not even thinking about it. Doubt he'll be there though.

Malcolm Brogdon couldn't get his shot to fall yesterday, but he's definitely a NBA player. He's very strong, he can handle the ball, and he can defend like crazy. While he shot the three efficiently at Virginia, he has a low release, and shoots the ball to flat to suit me. If he was 19 years old, he would definitely be a 1st round pick. Someone will get a very solid player in the 2nd round.

Couldn't leave without mentioning Kay Felder, who had another solid game. The pundits were projecting him to a possible first rounder, but I seriously doubt any team will take him there. But I do think he'll get drafted, and that may have been in doubt prior to the combine. He's fun to watch, and you can't watch him without thinking of Isaiah Thomas.

I'm afraid our chances of geting Hield, Murray, or Dunn are very slim unless we get lucky in the lottery. Jaylen Brown is a possibility, but who knows. A lot depends on whose picking in front of us, and their needs. I've listened to several interviews with Brown, and he's a very intelligent young man. Well spoken, and he seems to know his limitations, and what he needs to work on. Some people like Marquise Chriss, but he's a huge project. Brown has a lot of rough edges as well, but he's not as big a project as Chriss, and like Chriss, he's an elite athlete.
ESPN Article on combine

• Perhaps the most difficult player to accurately rank right now is Cal's Jaylen Brown. Brown told reporters in Chicago that his range was "1 through 10." That's right, he thinks he's in the mix for the No. 1 pick. I spoke with a couple of teams who believe he's a top-five pick, which isn't far off Brown's assessment. However, a number of others have him in the teens to early 20s.

Several teams that had him in for interviews this week were not impressed with how he handled himself. "He was the worst interview we had this week," one NBA GM said. "By far, the worst interview. I know he hasn't hired an agent yet, but he was arrogant and didn't show a real feel for the game when we asked him basketball questions. He hurt himself more than anyone here."

Other teams are more concerned about game film of Brown. "He's a 6-foot-7 power forward who thinks he's a wing," one GM said. "His feel and ability to create for himself just aren't there. I love the body and athleticism and I agree he wasn't in an ideal situation at Cal, but I'd have a hard time taking him ahead of the top-10 guys on our board."
Reminds me of Whiteside coming out. Said all the wrong things and thought he was better than he was.

From the interviews they've conducted, the Kings seem to be looking at SG's and PG's, or combo guards. The problem is, once you get past the one's mentioned, there isn't a candidate worthy of the 8th pick. There are however several big men that are worthy. So do you take the best player available if he happens to be a big man, or do you reach and hope?

In the five on fives yesterday it was the usual suspects that showed up. Ben Bentil, the 6'8.5' PF from Providence almost repeated his accomplishments from the day before. He shot the ball well from the three, scored around the basket, rebounded, and played solid defense. He may have moved himself into the bottom of the first round. He projects as a stretch four. He's probably the closest player to resembling Drayman Green in the five on fives. Don't read more into that than it deserves.

DeAndre Bembry had another solid game. He's not spectacular, just very efficient. He handles the ball very well and has impressive court vision. He's an excellent passer, and a very good athlete. He knows how to play the game. He is a player that makes his teammates better. His outside shot needs to improve, but other than that, I really like what I see from him.

Robert Carter came back and almost repeated his game from the day before. Carter, like Bentil probably has to make it as a stretch four. He has an effortless three point shot, and he shot it very well both days at the combine. Unlike Bentil, who has the slender look of an athlete, Carter looks more like Cousins with broad shoulder and a thick chest. He could, in a pinch, play some center in the NBA. Carter rebounded well and scored in the post as well. I still think that if Carter could lose another 10 or 15 pounds, he could be a solid NBA player. With all the talent that Maryland had, I thought there were times when Carter was their best player.

Cheick Diallo had another decent to good day doint what he's capable of doing. Don't know if he's going back to school or not, but if he stays in the draft, someone will take him in the first round. I thought that Layman and Whitehead had solid, but not outstanding games yesterday. Each of them had their moments. Whitehead is sort of a poor man's Kris Dunn. Actually, I think he's better than that. He's someone to keep your eye on. If he's sitting there in the 2nd round when we pick, I'm taking him and not even thinking about it. Doubt he'll be there though.

Malcolm Brogdon couldn't get his shot to fall yesterday, but he's definitely a NBA player. He's very strong, he can handle the ball, and he can defend like crazy. While he shot the three efficiently at Virginia, he has a low release, and shoots the ball to flat to suit me. If he was 19 years old, he would definitely be a 1st round pick. Someone will get a very solid player in the 2nd round.

Couldn't leave without mentioning Kay Felder, who had another solid game. The pundits were projecting him to a possible first rounder, but I seriously doubt any team will take him there. But I do think he'll get drafted, and that may have been in doubt prior to the combine. He's fun to watch, and you can't watch him without thinking of Isaiah Thomas.
Valentine might be worth a look if the better guard prospects are gone. Size and can shoot if nothing else plus he's ready to play.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Fielder also recorded one of the highest verticals in combine history at 44 inches. Not all that surprising considering how easily he dunks at 5'9".

I think he'll be taken within the first 10 picks or so of the 2nd round largely because IT's success will ease GM's concerns over his height.
Who could jump higher. I remember "Skywallker" and my beginning senility prevents me from knowing his real name. 44" was his max, I believe.

Spud dunked in a game at age 30 or so. If I remember correctly, he hadn't dunked in a long time and I don't remember what inspired him but I was happy to be there to see it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
ESPN Article on combine

Reminds me of Whiteside coming out. Said all the wrong things and thought he was better than he was.
Obviously I'm not privy to the conversatiions he's had with teams. I've listened to three interviews with him by reporters, and he didn't come across that way. So who knows? Interesting though. I like a player that has confidence, but at the same time, I don't like over confidence, or lack of recognition to one's weaknesses. I know that the Kings interviewed him, and all I got out of it was that he liked Vlade and said that Vlade kept joking with him, whatever that means.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Pat Connaughton also recorded 44" vertical last year.
Yeah, but he cheated a bit. He "tanked" his standing reach, and it measured out about 4 inches lower than from a measurement a few months before. So that effectively gave him about +4 inches on his max vert, because they subtract standing reach from the actual max reach. 40 inches is still really good, but he was a bit naughty on that measurement.

Yeah, but he cheated a bit. He "tanked" his standing reach, and it measured out about 4 inches lower than from a measurement a few months before. So that effectively gave him about +4 inches on his max vert, because they subtract standing reach from the actual max reach. 40 inches is still really good, but he was a bit naughty on that measurement.
It was reported this year that scouts are down on the vertical test for players. Some players standing reach is 6 inches lower than before.

Chriss gives me JJ Hickson vibes.

I like a lot about Valentine, but his lack of lateral quickness will be hard to compensate for at the pro level.

I'm still higher on Malik Beasley than others. Feel that most of his weaknesses can be overcome via experience and coaching.

I like a lot about Valentine, but his lack of lateral quickness will be hard to compensate for at the pro level.
They said the same thing about Klay Thompson. The warriors all time great backcourt is made up of two guys who could really shoot but weren't supposed to be athletic enough to guard anyone at the next level.

Obviously not saying Valentine will be a great player but all things considered he fits the profile of a guy that could be much better than people thought. I'd be happy enough to take a risk on a guy with his skill set at eight.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
With their strong international scouting and their need at the wing positions I could see Denver taking Luwawu over Dunn at 7. But who knows.
I was thinking the same thing. He seems like a good compliment to Mudiay. I could also see them snagging Jaylen Brown. I was pretty upset that they leapfrogged us the last week of the season because I have a feeling they're going to take somebody we really like.

ESPN Article on combine

Considering how well he's played the last two years, Whiteside should have been a top 5 pick after all. I would say he clearly underestimated how hard he was going to have to work to succeed in the NBA, but the talent to be the best shotblocker in the league was always there.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'd like to see Sac continue to draft players with exceptional length and/or athleticism. In a league that likes to copycat the champs, I think the one thing that gets overlooked by the backcourt shooting of the Warriors is the length of guys on their team, especially when they bring Iggy and Livingston off the bench to play with Green. Trill has that athleticism and length, Gay has length , but really could use it in the backcourt.

Is there guys who might be available to fit that profile? Around where we will pick at 8...assuming that is where we pick.

Length and athleticism you say?

PG Kris Dunn:
  • 6'4
  • 205lbs
  • 6'9.5wingspan
  • Athleticism(1-10): 9
  • 22years old
    • Pros:
      • Great defender
      • Good passing ability
      • Getting to, and finishing at the rim
      • Drawing Contact
      • High motor/Effort
      • Rebounding
    • Cons:
      • Inconsistent shooter
      • Decision Making
      • Turnover Prone
      • 2 shoulder injuries during college
      • Rawness at 22?
PG Wade Baldwin IV
  • 6'3
  • 201lbs
  • 6'11. 25" wingspan
  • Athleticism (1-10): 7.5
  • 20years old
    • Pros:
      • Elite shooter
      • Willing Passer
      • Drawing contact
      • Great defensive potential
      • Ability to play off-ball
    • Cons:
      • Lacks advanced dribbles
      • Struggles finishing around the rim
      • Becomes disengaged at times, and doesn't play with a high motor
      • Late boomer
PG Dejounte Murray (unofficial measurements)
  • 6'4.5 (UW Bio)
  • 170lbs (UW Bio)
  • 6'9.5" wingspan (2014 Nike Hoop)
  • Athleticism: 8
  • 19 yearsold
    • Pros:
      • Great handles
      • Great leadership and extremely aggressive
      • Scoring ability
      • Mid range jumper
      • Great defensive potential
      • Rebounding
      • Makes the right passes
    • Cons:
      • Extremely inconsistent shooter
      • Can't hit the 3pt shot consistently
      • Below average playmaker
      • Poor decision making
      • Turnover prone
      • Can't finish around the rim, nor can he draw contact

Last edited:
I'd like to see Sac continue to draft players with exceptional length and/or athleticism. In a league that likes to copycat the champs, I think the one thing that gets overlooked by the backcourt shooting of the Warriors is the length of guys on their team, especially when they bring Iggy and Livingston off the bench to play with Green. Trill has that athleticism and length, Gay has length , but really could use it in the backcourt.

Is there guys who might be available to fit that profile? Around where we will pick at 8...assuming that is where we pick.
Just from reading that quick write up, I think we can all see why Dunn is by far, the superior PG. My only major concern with him is his rawness. I compare it to a rookie Elfrid Payton, but a much better shooter. He's already 22 though. Payton was 20. Even with this being said, if he can improve on his shooting and playmaking, he can become an elite all around PG.

Looking at Baldwin IV, he fits the perfect mold of combo guards today. He can shoot lights out, handle the ball, and facilitate. Pair this up with his tremendous defensive upside. If he can improve on his handling and playmaking, I think he has potential to become a top 5 PG. With that being said, he's not assertive enough. Hopefully that's a mental aspect that gets washed away after his 1st year.

Murray is the most aggressive player out of this group, but he's more of a question mark. While he's a great ball handler, he doesn't do a good job at finishing around the rim like Tyreke did. His only major scoring strength is from the mid range. Lots of question marks around him. He arguably has the highest upside, and is only 19. High upside= gigantic project. You're talking about improving his jumper, finishing ability, playmaking ability, etc. Dunn has the playmaking and finishing. Baldwin has the jumper. Murray is the one with the intangibles.

There aren't any super athletic/lengthy SGs in this draft. I don't consider Luawu a SG because you have to be able to shoot...in order to be a SG. Hield has average length and athleticism, nothing that pops out. Brown is a SF. Beasley like Hield, is pretty average.

Honorable mention: 6'1 200lb 6'5.5" wingspan Demetrius Jackson is the most athletic PG. He dunks like he's Westbrook, and plays like a combo of Bledsoe/Lowry.... Unfortunately, he only has average size...or maybe 6'1 is considered undersized now? Curry: 6'3, Lillard: 6'3, Westbrook: 6'3, Wall: 6'4, Jackson: 6'3, Kyrie: 6'3.