2016 NBA Draft Discussion

Even though Ingram is a better fit with the current roster, I do expect Philadelphia to take Simmons #1. And if that's the case, I wonder if they'll look to move Okafor?

A Noel/Okafor front ourt didn't work at ALL last season and slotting Simmons at SF is just going to make that worse. Given Boston's rumored interest in Okafor at the deadline I wonder if the Phillies would essentially do an Okafor for #3 (maybe with a sweetener like RJ Hunter thrown in) and draft someone like Jamal Murray?

Murray is a tweener/combo guard but he makes a lot of sense if you are going to put the ball in Simmons' hands. I suppose they could also look for a stretch four like Bender or possibly Chriss with Noel shifting to center but where they really need help is in the backcourt, particularly in the shooting department.

One thing is for sure though, if the Sixers take Simmons they are going to eventually have to make moves to balance out that roster. And if Embiid ever does eventually come around that's even more of a logjam upfront. I think Colangelo is wanting to change course from what Hinkie was doing and make moves to improve the team immediately. We'll see how that works out.
They are reportedly in love with Dunn so if they do trade one of Noel or Okafor, I would expect them to drat Dunn at pick 3.

Regardless of what happens in the draft, I just don't want any part of Bender. I have no idea how he is ranked in the lottery at all. If he's the one that is there at 8 I say just take a gamble on Malachi Richardson or Dejounte Murray. Bender's game just looks soooo bad to me.
Richardson plays as if he's Kobe: all he really has to show is 1 half of Virginia game, when his junk shots all went in, but usually it's fall-away jumpers, that don't fall. Richardson has very low steal numbers for a member of Syracuse zone, average athleticism, and though he has 7' wingspan, he also has very long neck, so his is reach is meh. At least D.Murray has excellent handles, too bad he doesn't know, how to play as a PG.

What don't you like about Bender? I'm genuinely curious. It's ironic you bring up Murray... who's just as raw as Bender... and Richardson? What does he honestly do good at?
Bender is basically useless as a post player. He has almost no post moves and can't guard in the post to save his life. He's lengthy so he can get a few blocks here and there, but anyone with a decent fake is going to score on him. He also can't score unless he is wide open and changes his shot drastically if a player closes out hard on him. Lastly, based on what I saw in his videos is that he doesn't know what a box out is.

He does have some qualities . He looks like he is a solid passer for his size and runs the floor really well. His body type is also ideal. But IMO he is the Bruno Caboclo of big men. A solid upside, but is 2 years away from being 2 years away. Which wouldn't be a problem except that we are trying to win now.

Murray and Richardson are both raw too but look like they can at least contribute somehow right away. They both move really well without the ball in their hands which is something Bender does not do.

EDIT: Richardson was just an example. I haven't seen enough of him to actually make a decision. I was just giving an example of a player who at least has some NBA ready skills.

I could see Hield slipping simply because while he has a high floor, his ceiling is likely as a role player as a decent starting SG or a good shooter off the bench with very little shot at being much more.

That might sound harsh, but I like Buddy Hield - I just see him as a guy who will be a contributor and a safe pick. I'm pretty sure in three or four years we'll look back and wonder why he was taken ahead of guys who went on to be much better players but I also strongly doubt he'll bust.

He would be a bad pick for the Kings who need a consistent shooter at the off guard and who would be in keeping with what Vlade did last year - grabbing an older player where you have a pretty good idea of what you'll get and not as much risk as with other picks.
Hield is exactly the kind of player who's stock falls in the draft. As combines/workouts get more in-depth,teams are going to see bigger/stronger/faster/younger players thrive over someone like Hield and fall in love with the "what-if" potential.

Little thought experiment, if we could put any second option next to Boogie (who's actually a second option in real life), to me it'd be Klay Thompson hands down. Hell, Klay might be in my top 10 list of people I'd want to pair with Boogie out of everywhere. You want somebody whos a lights-out catch and shoot player, can shoot with pressure in their face and can create off their own bounce with the ability to score from anywhere on the floor.We just saw Hield do exactly that against some of the best defenses in the country with a 30%+ USG rate.

It's easy enough to say Courtney Lee for $10 million and Ryan Anderson for $16 million and let Curry walk to fill the 3rd PG spot with a minimum contract or the room exception.

If Anderson were signed then I think Gay needs to go. You'd have Cousins, WCS & Gay starting and Casspi (and to a lesser extent Koufos) needing frontcourt minutes too. Part of how Rudy and Omri were able to get enough court time was that they often played together as the forwards. Not only do I think Gay isn't a particularly great second option to Boogie (and maybe Dunn COULD become one) but there just aren't enough minutes to go around. I'm just not sure what Rudy's value around the league is right now.
It'd have to be a "disappointing vet for Disappointing vet" sort of move, or just a straight cap dump (Mid-late 1st round pick?) to a team that wants to add, but doesn't want to get involved in the FA bloodbath this summer.

tyreke is a nice player to have but the roster would need to have some serious shooters at the 2, 3 to provide room for him to operate. having him off the ball negates his strength getting to the rim. its a love hate kinda relationship. i hope joerger brings in adelman in coachie role.

i'm liking poeltl in a ryan anderson role. the latest dx vid has him moving very fluidly, hitting 3s. he doesn't seem allergic to d.
Thing is, we already have an outstanding compliment in Omri to step right in to big minutes. He was far and away our 2nd best player last year and a big reason why is because he actually plays off what Boogie (and Rondo) did last year. He really is a perfect role player to a star; great catch-and-shoot player, great motor, good defender, stays out of the way offensively. So if we drafted Hield, swapped Reke for Rudy, we'd end up with:

PG:Reke
SG:Hield
SF: Casspi
PF: WCS
C: Boogie

Tremendous defensive potential, great spacing for Reke/Boogie, can get out in transition. The big question would be if we could trust Reke's ankles to hold up.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It'd have to be a "disappointing vet for Disappointing vet" sort of move, or just a straight cap dump (Mid-late 1st round pick?) to a team that wants to add, but doesn't want to get involved in the FA bloodbath this summer.
That's pretty much how I feel and it's part of the Kings' struggles that their second option on offense is a guy with very little trade value. Rudy is a volume scorer while not really being much of a shooter or defender and whose efficiency plummets when asked to be a primary option.

One possible option is the Bulls who reportedly showed showed some interest at the deadline. Rudy for #14 and say, Mirotic or McDermott (both of whom I'd want to flip for a defender) would give the Kings another pick and open up more caproom.

I'd trade Rudy & #8 for #3 or #4 but I don't see the Celtics or Suns being interested.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...omenal__workout__is_he_on_Sixers__radar_.html

Apparently, Malachi Richardson killed his workouts, and could be considered a top 10 or so pick. Again, all of this could just be smoke screen.....

....But........I just don't get it. Richardson is a 20yearold freshman who's extremely ball dominant, and doesn't know how to pass. Loves to iso, and is inefficient scoring wise.
Just from the little I saw of Richardson I want no part of him. Elite tools on paper but I really, really dislike his game.

I could be wrong but he seems like a player (like Labissiere) that will shine in workouts but that doesn't change the warts I saw during actual games.

Last edited:
Thing is, we already have an outstanding compliment in Omri to step right in to big minutes. He was far and away our 2nd best player last year and a big reason why is because he actually plays off what Boogie (and Rondo) did last year. He really is a perfect role player to a star; great catch-and-shoot player, great motor, good defender, stays out of the way offensively. So if we drafted Hield, swapped Reke for Rudy, we'd end up with:

PG:Reke
SG:Hield
SF: Casspi
PF: WCS
C: Boogie

Tremendous defensive potential, great spacing for Reke/Boogie, can get out in transition. The big question would be if we could trust Reke's ankles to hold up.
No above average defender between 1-3 slots, and one of them is a rookie, so he's guaranteed to be bad-to-below average defender.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...omenal__workout__is_he_on_Sixers__radar_.html

Apparently, Malachi Richardson killed his workouts, and could be considered a top 10 or so pick. Again, all of this could just be smoke screen.....

....But........I just don't get it. Richardson is a 20yearold freshman who's extremely ball dominant, and doesn't know how to pass. Loves to iso, and is inefficient scoring wise.
He already had a very important game, where every stupid fall-away was falling, so it's no surprise, that he can put together similar shooting display in the open gym. Any exec, who will buy it, deserves to be dismissed though.

Kyler also very confidant that J Murray doesn't get past Pelicans at 6.

We may have a choice of Jaylen Brown or Hield.
I think Jaylen Brown will be the one to fall. The Celtics have a really well rounded team, but lack a go to scorer. I think they take Hield. Suns are kind of a wild card, but no mock I've seen has them taking Brown. Not that they need a guard with Knight, Bledsoe, and Booker in the back court already. Most mocks have them selecting Bender or Chriss. I think they go with Bender here just because he is the more frequently cited player. Wolves go with Dunn or Murray. Dunn looks so much more well rounded so I'd imagine he'd be the pick. Pelicans take whatever guard Wolves don't, so Murray. Nuggets are set at PG, SG, and C. Gary Harris looks like the future at SG so I think they go for a PF and take whoever is left between Bender and Chriss. That leaves the Kings with Brown who I would be thrilled with as he looks like a Stanley Johnson clone to me.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No surprise there. Probably Dunn as Rubio could be leaving by next season. But they could go with Murray if they think Lavine can move to PG.
There's no guarantee that Rubio leaves after next year. On his part he said he wanted to make the playoffs, and would probably leave if the team didn't. I think they easily make the playoffs next season. Now it's possible that the T Wolves don't make an effort to resign him after next season, but once again, that probably depends on how he and the team play and the results. If I'm the T Wolves, I need perimeter shooting and Murray would bring that. As would Hield.

There's no guarantee that Rubio leaves after next year. On his part he said he wanted to make the playoffs, and would probably leave if the team didn't. I think they easily make the playoffs next season. Now it's possible that the T Wolves don't make an effort to resign him after next season, but once again, that probably depends on how he and the team play and the results. If I'm the T Wolves, I need perimeter shooting and Murray would bring that. As would Hield.
Dunn can shoot 3s too and I don't think Murray is that much better than Dunn at shooting from the outside.

At any rate, I actually think there is a good chance Dunn go higher than #5. I think he is clearly the third best player right now and it wouldn't surprise me if the Celtics or Suns swing a trade or even draft Dunn outright.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Jaylen Brown will be the one to fall. The Celtics have a really well rounded team, but lack a go to scorer. I think they take Hield. Suns are kind of a wild card, but no mock I've seen has them taking Brown. Not that they need a guard with Knight, Bledsoe, and Booker in the back court already. Most mocks have them selecting Bender or Chriss. I think they go with Bender here just because he is the more frequently cited player. Wolves go with Dunn or Murray. Dunn looks so much more well rounded so I'd imagine he'd be the pick. Pelicans take whatever guard Wolves don't, so Murray. Nuggets are set at PG, SG, and C. Gary Harris looks like the future at SG so I think they go for a PF and take whoever is left between Bender and Chriss. That leaves the Kings with Brown who I would be thrilled with as he looks like a Stanley Johnson clone to me.
I can definitely see Brown falling. NBA body and athleticism but not much more to his game at this point. There's not a skill that I can point to that I think will immediately allow him to earn time in the NBA. I hate saying it as a Cal alum, but he's not a guy I'd want the Kings to draft. Doubly so when he'd presumably have Gay & Casspi in front of him. Honestly if one of the two of them was headed to the draft Rabb was better positioned. He has a more rounded game and Brown is the one that needs more seasoning/development.

But I don't see the Celtics taking Hield. They already have solid guard play between Bradley, Smart and Thomas (not to mention Rozier and Hunter) and Ainge has also always been more of a gambler. He knows the value of having a star. If they don't trade the pick (say to Philly for Okafor) then I think he'll make more of a swing for the fences. It's why I can almost believe Draft Express' current mock being right about him drafting Chriss.

As for Dunn, there's some substance to the idea that Thibs would love him for his defensive potential. But (1) Rubio is already a good defender and (2) I think Thibs would hate how turnover Dunn can be. He's maybe my favorite prospect in the draft but he's really loose with his handle and makes some head scratching passes at times. I wouldn't be surprised to see Thibodeau opt for a guy who has the potential to contribute sooner. Hield makes some sense. But even though he's a freshman I think Murray is a guy that you can play minutes early on and not have him hurt you. He's weak defensively but has a lot of poise and his shooting will translate. In time he could be a really nice 3rd guard with Rubio and LaVine as a shooter and secondary ballhandler/playmaker.

Dunn can shoot 3s too and I don't think Murray is that much better than Dunn at shooting from the outside.

At any rate, I actually think there is a good chance Dunn go higher than #5. I think he is clearly the third best player right now and it wouldn't surprise me if the Celtics or Suns swing a trade or even draft Dunn outright.
I'm not big on Jamal Murray but he's much, much better shooting from outside. Dunn's mechanics need to get cleaned up and that's why he's so inconsistent as a shooter. Murray stroke is simple and consistent and even his misses usually look good. Dunn's misses can get wild. His free throw percentage is a testament to the fact that while he's not a bad shooter per se, he needs some work.

https://twitter.com/stevekylernba/status/740927710919266304

Kyler with who he thinks TWolves are taking......Dunn or Murray
Very little surprise there. I would probably add Hield at the other one in the mix.

I still believe Thibs would absolutely love Dunn. Having said that, if he is set to build around KAT and Wiggins you might want someone to spread the floor and this is where Murray and Hield come in. Murray probably has a bit more appeal in a sense that he is more of a combo guard which allows you to have some solid ball handing in the backcourt when Rubio sits (Murray/LaVine). Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if Thibs decides to trade LaVine down the track.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Sadly, I agree with you, but I'm going to remain optimistic based on the other teams needs. And, Murray is a better three point shooter than Dunn. Dunn wasn't a slouch, but he was inconsistent. Yes, he shot around 38 percent, but it was an inconsistent 38 percent. He did it by going 3 out of 4 one game, and 0 for 4 the next, and so on. whereas Murray shot over 40% for the season and did it more consistently every game. This is where stats don't tell the whole story.

Look, I love Dunn. That's why I want him to drop to us, but he's not perfect, and for that reason, he may drop. I'm already on record saying that in three or four years Dunn may end up being the best player out of this draft. I would prefer that we trade up and grab him. But that probably won't happen.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/6/9/11884856/malachi-richardson-nba-draft-2016-syracuse

The hype sounds legit. And I think it shows how thin this draft is that teams have to go hunting this far from the norm for worthy talent.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Very little surprise there. I would probably add Hield at the other one in the mix.

I still believe Thibs would absolutely love Dunn. Having said that, if he is set to build around KAT and Wiggins you might want someone to spread the floor and this is where Murray and Hield come in. Murray probably has a bit more appeal in a sense that he is more of a combo guard which allows you to have some solid ball handing in the backcourt when Rubio sits (Murray/LaVine). Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if Thibs decides to trade LaVine down the track.
The T Wolves have no consistent outside shooters, unless you count LaVine, and he never saw a shot he didn't like. LaVine is like Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde. Right after he amazes you with one play, he has you scratching your head wondering what the hell he's doing on the next play. Minny still doesn't know what position he plays, and I don't think he knows either. LaVine is fun to watch at times though. For those reasons, I think they take either Hield or Murray. If I'm them, I take Murray if he's there. He's a much better passer, he's younger, and he has a very BBIQ. Defensively between the two, it's probably a push.

I'm already on record saying that in three or four years Dunn may end up being the best player out of this draft. I would prefer that we trade up and grab him. But that probably won't happen.

And that is exactly why I think the T-Wolves will take Dunn over Murray.

Just want to say: I am not feeling this draft right now. Not super excited about the guys who I think will be available to the Kings.

At this point, I am rooting for trading this pick.

At any rate, this is my draft order:

1. Simmons
2. Ingram
3. Dunn
4. Chriss
5. Murray
6. Brown
7. Hield
8. ??

Coincidentally, I am pretty stoke on Kay Felder as a change of pace rotation player; and I think he is as good as many of the guys in the 1st round.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I have Richardson at 26th on my board, and to be honest, that may be too high. The fact that he played for Syracuse is enough to scare me. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. They play nothing but a zone, and they play the zone well. Well enough to cover the deficiencies of a player. Richardson plays out of control too often to suit me, and is a terrible mid-range shooter. Anyone that takes him in the lottery is nuts in my opinion. Not saying he couldn't turn into something, but that the odds are against him as compared to some other players I would take ahead of him.

I spent a lot of time over the week-end watching film of Juan Hernangomez and Petr Cornelie, and both those guys are impressive if your looking at them at the bottom half of the first round. I was surprised by their athleticism. Both players handle the ball pretty well for big men, and both shoot the ball well from the perimeter. They both need experience and polish, but I'd rather take a gamble on one of them over Richardson.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just want to say: I am not feeling this draft right now. Not super excited about the guys who I think will be available to the Kings.

At this point, I am rooting for trading this pick.

At any rate, this is my draft order:

1. Simmons
2. Ingram
3. Dunn
4. Chriss
5. Murray
6. Brown
7. Hield
8. ??

Coincidentally, I am pretty stoke on Kay Felder as a change of pace rotation player; and I think he is as good as many of the guys in the 1st round.
Unless the pick is part of a larger trade, you'll never get equal value for it. For that reason, I'm against trading it. The Kings can get a player that can help them at eight. How soon that player will help depends on who it is. Regardless of how soon, you can't beat the price, and you have that player for four years at that low price. So it's not much of a gamble, and if you do your homework, and are good at developing your players, you could end up with something of value.