2015 Draft Prospects:

I don't care about fit. I want the best player possible regardless of fit. For example, Okafor is duplicative of Cousins, not complementary, but I'd take him in a heartbeat given the chance. I think the Kings made mistakes because they have been looking for complementary pieces - Jimmer and Stauskas, e.g - rather than going after the best player. They can't afford to do that **** again.
The whole thing about this BPA vs fit argument is that the way a player fits on a team usually displays how good they are. You can look at 2 players and possibly determine which one is better in a vacuum. However, when you take into account the huge external factor of your team & coaches, that has a lot do with how good that player will become.

So a lot of what determines if a team picked the BPA in their draft position years down the road is how well they fit on the team they were drafted (thus highlighting their skills and hiding their weaknesses). This is why I've never been a big proponent of drafting the BPA but been in favor of drafting the BPA for us.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The distortions of my position on this board would make Harry Reid proud. I promise, I paid my taxes.

I value versatile multi-dimensional players over one dimensional players. I don't think WCS is offensively complementary to Cousins. Does he open up the floor for Cousins on offense? Of course he doesn't. So you can look for the minutiae in his game to claim he complements Cousins on offense, but that's grasping at straws. Ergo, any value you give him to complement Cousins on defense has to be offset somewhat by his poor complement to Cousins on offense. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. If you want to say that WCS is going to be soo freaking great on defense that he more than offsets his weaknesses on defense, knock yourself out. I'm not going to be unhappy if the Kings choose WCS because he could be a very good weak side defender. But I'm definitely not going to be surprised if they go with a multi-skilled euro over WCS either. How many times have you heard Karl talk about the need for that weak side shot blocker? How many times have you heard him say that the team just couldn't find the scoring they need? Do the math.

The distortions of my position on this board would make Harry Reid proud. I promise, I paid my taxes.

I value versatile multi-dimensional players over one dimensional players. I don't think WCS is offensively complementary to Cousins. Does he open up the floor for Cousins on offense? Of course he doesn't. So you can look for the minutiae in his game to claim he complements Cousins on offense, but that's grasping at straws. Ergo, any value you give him to complement Cousins on defense has to be offset somewhat by his poor complement to Cousins on offense. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. If you want to say that WCS is going to be soo freaking great on defense that he more than offsets his weaknesses on defense, knock yourself out. I'm not going to be unhappy if the Kings choose WCS because he could be a very good weak side defender. But I'm definitely not going to be surprised if they go with a multi-skilled euro over WCS either. How many times have you heard Karl talk about the need for that weak side shot blocker? How many times have you heard him say that the team just couldn't find the scoring they need? Do the math.
This is pretty much what many of us think. A foreign concept to you apparently given that you had to phrase it in such a condescending way. There are some here, including me, who would rather a mediocre fit on offense next to Cuz, if that mediocre offense is going to be a perfect fit next to him defensively, whilst also improving the overall team defense. You'd clearly prefer a perfect fit offensively (which isn't going to be much more than someone who spaces the floor, given that Cuz is going to be the dominant offensive big, so your great fit can't truly be all that great offensively), and a mediocre fit defensively.

You complained that people's views on your position are distorted. And then you went right ahead and clearly valued offensive fit over defensive fit.

There is more than one way to space the floor for Boogie. Even without floor spacers, I'd say he's managing quite well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't care about fit. I want the best player possible regardless of fit. For example, Okafor is duplicative of Cousins, not complementary, but I'd take him in a heartbeat given the chance. I think the Kings made mistakes because they have been looking for complementary pieces - Jimmer and Stauskas, e.g - rather than going after the best player. They can't afford to do that **** again.
Considering the Kings were doing BPA the last two drafts...your point is moot. I'm not sure why you are bringing up Okafor...I simply asked what player would you take in the 6-8 slot where the Kings will be drafting instead of Willie, Stanley or Winston.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the Kings have passed on defensive players way too often in the draft...I'd like to see them go against the norm for once and see how it pans out for them.

Okafor gets doubled off of Amile Jefferson all the time, you won't find footage of KAT or Dakari being doubled off of WCS, while posting. WCS will add dimensions to this team on both ends, that it currently doesn't have: whether you hedge and recover or switch on P&R, or have to stick to stretch 4s/tweeners outside of paint, he's instantly your best perimeter big men defender, by far; he's the best weak-side shotblocker, when put next to Cousins, by far; best roller to the basket, by far; best alley-oop target without a running start, by far.

I saw people wonder, why WCS was named 1st team All-American. And they are right, guys like that just don't get there (or on second team either), because he doesn't score enough (only 22 points per 100 possessions) and the only players, who scored under 30 points per 100 possessions and still got these honors (sports-reference.com doesn't have per 100 possessions numbers before 10/11 season, and I'm lazy to do further research :rolleyes:), were Anthony Davis (26 points per 100) and Jerian Grant this year, and Grant has more that 11 assists to add to his 28 points per 100. So what the selectors did was basically naming WCS national DPOY.

Looking at Denver, while George Karl was there: Carmelo Anthony has spent 0 minutes at PF. It doesn't mean, they didn't push the ball really hard, but for 3 years in a row (06/06 to 08/09) they did, what potential contenders do - get (or almost get) to top10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency (all numbers from basketball-reference.com):
8th O, 11th D in 06/07; pace - 97.4, PG-SG Steve Blake (49 games/40 starts), Andre Miller (23g/23s), AI (50g/49s), Earl Boykins (31g/4s), JR Smith(63g/24s), Yakhouba Diawara (64g/19s), DerMarr Johnson (39g/7s); lost to eventual champions Spurs
11th O, 10th D in 07/08; pace - 99,7, PG/SG Anthony Carter/AI, who started 15 games at PG; lost to eventual champions Lakers
7th O, 8thD in 08/09; pace - 94.3, PG/SG - Chauncey Billups/Dahntay Jones, JR Smith; year they got to WCF, lost to eventual champions Lakers
  • after that they changed from Camby to Nene at center, and, what a surprise, fell in D
  • also notice, how pace fluctuates with the amount of size, Karl has in backcourt - he plays the roster, you give to him
  • 08/09 team had one good backcourt ballhandler in starting lineup, while having 2 guys in front court (Melo and Nene) capable of handling the ball - looks like they got by
Getting back to Kings GK is still learning, what they can and cannot do with this roster. Kings played 4 teams twice, since Karl took over, and in all cases the second game was slower, than the first - 101,5 vs 95,2 pace on average, and what's most funny all 4 slower games happened with Gay at 4. Kings play Pelicans soon again, and it will be interesting, how that game goes, though the trend may not continue, since the first meeting was the slowest game in Karl's tenure in Sacramento. We shouldn't read too much into Rudy starting at 4 for now, other than that it allows Karl to get most time to guys, who have future with Kings. Until Karl starts saying "Ok, Rudy at 4? It might work" or puts him at 4 next October, I wouldn't count on that just yet.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
some guy out of Eastern Washington has declared for the draft....the only other player I remember being drafted from that school is Rodney Stuckey.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Okafor gets doubled off of Amile Jefferson all the time, you won't find footage of KAT or Dakari being doubled off of WCS, while posting. WCS will add dimensions to this team on both ends, that it currently doesn't have: whether you hedge and recover or switch on P&R, or have to stick to stretch 4s/tweeners outside of paint, he's instantly your best perimeter big men defender, by far; he's the best weak-side shotblocker, when put next to Cousins, by far; best roller to the basket, by far; best alley-oop target without a running start, by far.

I saw people wonder, why WCS was named 1st team All-American. And they are right, guys like that just don't get there (or on second team either), because he doesn't score enough (only 22 points per 100 possessions) and the only players, who scored under 30 points per 100 possessions and still got these honors (sports-reference.com doesn't have per 100 possessions numbers before 10/11 season, and I'm lazy to do further research :rolleyes:), were Anthony Davis (26 points per 100) and Jerian Grant this year, and Grant has more that 11 assists to add to his 28 points per 100. So what the selectors did was basically naming WCS national DPOY.

Looking at Denver, while George Karl was there: Carmelo Anthony has spent 0 minutes at PF. It doesn't mean, they didn't push the ball really hard, but for 3 years in a row (06/06 to 08/09) they did, what potential contenders do - get (or almost get) to top10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency (all numbers from basketball-reference.com):
8th O, 11th D in 06/07; pace - 97.4, PG-SG Steve Blake (49 games/40 starts), Andre Miller (23g/23s), AI (50g/49s), Earl Boykins (31g/4s), JR Smith(63g/24s), Yakhouba Diawara (64g/19s), DerMarr Johnson (39g/7s); lost to eventual champions Spurs
11th O, 10th D in 07/08; pace - 99,7, PG/SG Anthony Carter/AI, who started 15 games at PG; lost to eventual champions Lakers
7th O, 8thD in 08/09; pace - 94.3, PG/SG - Chauncey Billups/Dahntay Jones, JR Smith; year they got to WCF, lost to eventual champions Lakers
  • after that they changed from Camby to Nene at center, and, what a surprise, fell in D
  • also notice, how pace fluctuates with the amount of size, Karl has in backcourt - he plays the roster, you give to him
  • 08/09 team had one good backcourt ballhandler in starting lineup, while having 2 guys in front court (Melo and Nene) capable of handling the ball - looks like they got by
Getting back to Kings GK is still learning, what they can and cannot do with this roster. Kings played 4 teams twice, since Karl took over, and in all cases the second game was slower, than the first - 101,5 vs 95,2 pace on average, and what's most funny all 4 slower games happened with Gay at 4. Kings play Pelicans soon again, and it will be interesting, how that game goes, though the trend may not continue, since the first meeting was the slowest game in Karl's tenure in Sacramento. We shouldn't read too much into Rudy starting at 4 for now, other than that it allows Karl to get most time to guys, who have future with Kings. Until Karl starts saying "Ok, Rudy at 4? It might work" or puts him at 4 next October, I wouldn't count on that just yet.
If rolling to the basket for alley-oops is his offensive dimension, then I still maintain he's pretty one-dimensional, with that dimension being defense. I agree with all the defensive stuff; that's why he's reasonable for a top 8 pick. I'm just not ga-ga about him because he's very limited offensively. Also, as I pointed out before - he's not a perfect complement to Cousins as many have said; he's a perfect complement defensively, certainly not offensively. If the Kings are at 6 or 7 and the top 4 are off the board, and one or two of the euros along with WCS are still on the board, it's going to be interesting to see which way they go.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Considering the Kings were doing BPA the last two drafts...your point is moot. I'm not sure why you are bringing up Okafor...I simply asked what player would you take in the 6-8 slot where the Kings will be drafting instead of Willie, Stanley or Winston.
By the way, this is your post:
so since you don't see Cauley Stein, Johnson or Winslow a good fit for this team. Who would you draft in the 6-8 slot?

So you didn't ask me what player I would take 6-8, did you? You asked about "fit", didn't you?

If rolling to the basket for alley-oops is his offensive dimension, then I still maintain he's pretty one-dimensional, with that dimension being defense. I agree with all the defensive stuff; that's why he's reasonable for a top 8 pick. I'm just not ga-ga about him because he's very limited offensively. Also, as I pointed out before - he's not a perfect complement to Cousins as many have said; he's a perfect complement defensively, certainly not offensively. If the Kings are at 6 or 7 and the top 4 are off the board, and one or two of the euros along with WCS are still on the board, it's going to be interesting to see which way they go.
Ability to roll with exceptional quickness, while being a very wide target due to combination of length/hops and ballhandling to make one-dribble moves towards the basket is almost half the game of Anthony Davis. All the guys in this draft have serious holes/concerns for their projected pick range, so taking limited, but polished at what he does player looks reasonable.

Ability to roll with exceptional quickness, while being a very wide target due to combination of length/hops and ballhandling to make one-dribble moves towards the basket is almost half the game of Anthony Davis. All the guys in this draft have serious holes/concerns for their projected pick range, so taking limited, but polished at what he does player looks reasonable.
It is JT's lack of ability in this area that has kept him from becoming a legitimate starting PF. He just doesn't have very good hands, which keeps him from converting too many opportunities. WCS has very good hands, which makes him very dangerous around the basket.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If rolling to the basket is the extent of WCS's offense, then he's pretty limited offensively. Also, it makes it harder to roll to the basket when the opposing team doesn't take your outside shot seriously. Because the parts are interrelated, you can't just arbitrarily carve up Anthony Davis's game and say, see, that's 1/2 of his game. Without the outside threat, Davis's inside game and driving doesn't have the same effect as if he could shoot outside shots, much less 3 pointers. For example, if Cousins didn't have the outside threat, his drives wouldn't be nearly as effective. Therefore, you can't say a player has half of Cousins' game if such player can drive to the basket, but doesn't have the outside shot. FIXED!

Last edited:
If rolling to the basket is the extent of WCS's offense, then he's pretty limited offensively. Also, it makes it harder to roll to the basket when the opposing team doesn't take your outside shot seriously. Because the parts are interrelated, you can't just arbitrarily carve up Anthony Davis's game and say, see, that's 1/2 of his game. Without the outside threat, Davis's inside game doesn't have the same effect as if he could shoot outside shots, much less 3 pointers. For example, if Cousins didn't have the outside threat, his drives wouldn't be nearly as effective. Therefore, you can't say a player has half of Cousins' game if such player can drive to the basket, but doesn't have the outside shot.
You have a couple of things mixed up: Cousins' drives are made easier by his ability to shoot, same with Davis' drives - defenders have to play closer to them, and it's easier to get by. P&R OTOH has little to do with shooting ability of the roll man, and relies on ability of ballhandler to either split the double, isolate big in case of a switch or hit the rolling man: if big defender hedges, trying to slow down the ballhandler, roll man has a clear path to the basket. I guess, shooting ability might be of value, if team has a lack of spacing, so additional defender is able to rotate and gets between the rolling man and the basket, which can be countered with the jumper by the roll man, but it would be a rather awkward shot - on the move and turning around.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Just thought I'd throw this into the mix - here's an article where the author has two (I know, small sample size) NBA front office people rank the top 15 players from this year and last year's draft, combined.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhei...ust-better-than-heralded-2014s-its-not-close/

Ten of the top fifteen are from this year's class. I'll let you read it, but looking just at the guys this draft, the consensus from these two NBA evaluators looks like this:
1. Towns
2. Okafor
3. Russell
4. Mudiay
5. Cauley-Stein
6. Porzingis
7. Hezonja
8. Winslow
9. Johnson
10. Lyles

If that's the NBA board, then barring a trade our chances of getting WCS are lower than our chances of getting Towns. Just saying.

There will be a lot of movement between now and the draft like every year. There's nothing WCS can show alone in the gym, that he hasn't already on the court. A lot of other guys can. He will be 22 by the start of NBA season - there will be a lot of talk about his limited upside - Willie is likely going at #8-10.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just thought I'd throw this into the mix - here's an article where the author has two (I know, small sample size) NBA front office people rank the top 15 players from this year and last year's draft, combined.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhei...ust-better-than-heralded-2014s-its-not-close/

Ten of the top fifteen are from this year's class. I'll let you read it, but looking just at the guys this draft, the consensus from these two NBA evaluators looks like this:
1. Towns
2. Okafor
3. Russell
4. Mudiay
5. Cauley-Stein
6. Porzingis
7. Hezonja
8. Winslow
9. Johnson
10. Lyles

If that's the NBA board, then barring a trade our chances of getting WCS are lower than our chances of getting Towns. Just saying.
Every team is going to have their own draft board and I guarantee that on a few of them WCS will be significantly lower than 5 because he (1) doesn't have star potential (2) is offensively limited and (3) plays a position where they already have players they like.

Orlando has a very young and athletic team with defensive potential but what they don't have is a #1 scoring option. I think they'd pass on WCS for a guy with more ability to put the ball in the bucket. And I think Winslow goes top 5.

Either way, I'd agree that you can't get infatuated with one guy. This is a draft that can absolutely help the Kings. Of course, I'm girding up for the news the've traded the pick and Collison for Ty Lawson so my bar for this offseason is pretty low.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
By the way, this is your post:
so since you don't see Cauley Stein, Johnson or Winslow a good fit for this team. Who would you draft in the 6-8 slot?

So you didn't ask me what player I would take 6-8, did you? You asked about "fit", didn't you?
well considering that you don't value defense like the front office does...I'm not really sure what "fit" you would take besides a euro project.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You have a couple of things mixed up: Cousins' drives are made easier by his ability to shoot, same with Davis' drives - defenders have to play closer to them, and it's easier to get by. P&R OTOH has little to do with shooting ability of the roll man, and relies on ability of ballhandler to either split the double, isolate big in case of a switch or hit the rolling man: if big defender hedges, trying to slow down the ballhandler, roll man has a clear path to the basket. I guess, shooting ability might be of value, if team has a lack of spacing, so additional defender is able to rotate and gets between the rolling man and the basket, which can be countered with the jumper by the roll man, but it would be a rather awkward shot - on the move and turning around.
Agreed on the first sentence. See above. Therefore, you can't arbitrarily divide up either Cousins' game or Davis's and say that WCS has X fraction of what they do. The parts are interdependent and therefore indivisible. As for the rest, WCS is a very limited offensive player. If you want to believe that he's going to be a major part of the offense going forward, go for it. But my opinion is that he's the fifth option on offense and what is going to be added to the team in defense is certainly in part going to be subtracted on offense.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

1. Towns
2. Okafor
3. Russell
4. Mudiay
5. Cauley-Stein
6. Porzingis
7. Hezonja
8. Winslow
9. Johnson
10. Lyles

Interesting take. We'll see how the board changes. It always seems to have some surprises.

you would really take a chance on a project euro? I don't think the Kings can afford to wait for him to pan out...why not take a player that's played in a top notch conference instead?
Nik Stauskas and Ben McLemore played in top notch conferences and look at them, both had abysmal rookie campaigns and Ben has been better but still shaky in his second year. Look at Gobert, if you re do the draft he's a top 3 if not the #1 pick last year. This year the kid Nurkic from Denver had one of the bigger rookie impacts and is only 19. Euro basketball has improved a lot over the years and in many ways its better than college in terms of evaluating talent, definetly more talented in terms of player pool. The Euro prospects play against the top European players that aren't in the NBA and a lot of ex NBA guys and American players that are a notch below NBA level. All that and you are playing professional basketball, learning the business of the game and not having to go to class like College players. The NCAA is a joke system that only exists in America because of tradition.

With that said this kid Kristaps Porzingis in an interesting prospect that fits what we need out of the 4 position and would fit with Karl. 7'1 and a fluid athlete that can run with a pure stroke and length to help inside. He has a thin frame but in the current NBA landscape that isn't really an issue, especially with Cousins inside and even Gay. With Vlade in the front office and Karl as the coach, I would not be surprised if we take this kid. This board would go absolutely insane but in terms of need, he pretty much fits what we want from the 4 spot to a tee.

Nik Stauskas and Ben McLemore played in top notch conferences and look at them, both had abysmal rookie campaigns and Ben has been better but still shaky in his second year. Look at Gobert, if you re do the draft he's a top 3 if not the #1 pick last year. This year the kid Nurkic from Denver had one of the bigger rookie impacts and is only 19. Euro basketball has improved a lot over the years and in many ways its better than college in terms of evaluating talent, definetly more talented in terms of player pool. The Euro prospects play against the top European players that aren't in the NBA and a lot of ex NBA guys and American players that are a notch below NBA level. All that and you are playing professional basketball, learning the business of the game and not having to go to class like College players. The NCAA is a joke system that only exists in America because of tradition.

With that said this kid Kristaps Porzingis in an interesting prospect that fits what we need out of the 4 position and would fit with Karl. 7'1 and a fluid athlete that can run with a pure stroke and length to help inside. He has a thin frame but in the current NBA landscape that isn't really an issue, especially with Cousins inside and even Gay. With Vlade in the front office and Karl as the coach, I would not be surprised if we take this kid. This board would go absolutely insane but in terms of need, he pretty much fits what we want from the 4 spot to a tee.

Porzingis is my absolute draft crush.. If the FO feels like he's ready, I think we should pull the trigger on him. His biggest issue is strength. I don't see how he can't put on an extra 10-15lbs this summer to be around 230-240lbs.

Here's an amazing breakdown I'd recommend everyone to read about him. : http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2015/2/19/kristaps-porzingis-the-mystery-man-of-the-2015-nba-draft

He plays like a mix of AD and Dirk. He hustles on every play. His game reminds me so much of AD.

I think if he we draft him, and he comes over this year, I'd want him to go up against Boogie everyday to get stronger..

He's everything we want in a 4.

Porzingis is my absolute draft crush.. If the FO feels like he's ready, I think we should pull the trigger on him. His biggest issue is strength. I don't see how he can't put on an extra 10-15lbs this summer to be around 230-240lbs.

Here's an amazing breakdown I'd recommend everyone to read about him. : http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2015/2/19/kristaps-porzingis-the-mystery-man-of-the-2015-nba-draft

He plays like a mix of AD and Dirk. He hustles on every play. His game reminds me so much of AD.

I think if he we draft him, and he comes over this year, I'd want him to go up against Boogie everyday to get stronger..

He's everything we want in a 4.
Yes, the more I look into this kid the more I love. At worst he is a 7'1 Nikola Mirotic. He is such a fluid athlete and his stroke can't be contested at his height and with his form. Strength is an issue but with the rest of the league going small at the 4, all he needs to do is add 15-20 lbs and he will be fine. We have been arguing for years if a stretch 4 or rim protector is needed next to Cousins, well this guy provides a mix of both, could be an elite stretch 4 with his stroke and size and is quick and long enough to contest shots(not to mention playing next to a powerhouse paint protector like Cousins. Cousins does the intimdating and Porzingis can have the freedom to float around the paint and swat guys more worried about Cousins being in the paint). Cousins, Porzingis, Gay frontline is freakishly long and talented also. Don't think he's ready to start right away, but with his shooting and ability to run, no reason he can't play 15-20 mins right away off the bench.

Yes, the more I look into this kid the more I love. At worst he is a 7'1 Nikola Mirotic. He is such a fluid athlete and his stroke can't be contested at his height and with his form. Strength is an issue but with the rest of the league going small at the 4, all he needs to do is add 15-20 lbs and he will be fine. We have been arguing for years if a stretch 4 or rim protector is needed next to Cousins, well this guy provides a mix of both, could be an elite stretch 4 with his stroke and size and is quick and long enough to contest shots(not to mention playing next to a powerhouse paint protector like Cousins. Cousins does the intimdating and Porzingis can have the freedom to float around the paint and swat guys more worried about Cousins being in the paint). Cousins, Porzingis, Gay frontline is freakishly long and talented also. Don't think he's ready to start right away, but with his shooting and ability to run, no reason he can't play 15-20 mins right away off the bench.
Here's a video link to one of his games. It shows all of his possessions and a lot of his defensive matchups. http://sportacentrs.com/basketbols/legionari/23012015-porzingim_varens_sniegums_pret_lietuvos_r

It's basically an unedited version of his highlights from a game. Very impressive

Curious, if we were to draft him, where would you want to? Or would it have to be in a certain position where WCS is off the board?

Here's a video link to one of his games. It shows all of his possessions and a lot of his defensive matchups. http://sportacentrs.com/basketbols/legionari/23012015-porzingim_varens_sniegums_pret_lietuvos_r

It's basically an unedited version of his highlights from a game. Very impressive

Curious, if we were to draft him, where would you want to? Or would it have to be in a certain position where WCS is off the board?
A lot of people have him in the top 7, I would be happy with him, WCS, Winslow or Johnson. At least 3 of those guys should be available to us if you assume Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudiaye are the consensus top 4. After that I could see Winslow going 5(or possibly moving into the top 3) as I see his stock rising from the tournament from defensive wing to now being looked as an all around star potential. I really hope we move up and can draft one of Russel, Winslow or Mudiaye though, we really need some dynamic play from our backcourt.

For us I would say our big board should be

1. Towns
2. Russell
3. Winslow
4. Mudiaye
5. Okafor
6. Porzingis
7. WCS
8. Stanley Johnson

Those top 5 are all potential stars, and then you have an enigma in Porzingis and two defensive specialist in WCS and Johnson(although Johnson could develop ino an all around talent as well).