2015/16 Kings Predictions

K

Kingsguy881

Projecting a win total of 31 games is moronic no matter what anyone says.
No its really not. History has shown that this ownership group as well as the last just seem to muck things up. Muck with an F instead of an M. With the national media, you have to change the rhetoric with history, not future promises.

K

Kingsguy881

so with all those moves the Kings will only win two more games? good to know.
If there is a repeat of last year from the ownership side then yes. If Vivek can stay out of his own way and let Vlade do his thing then I understand your sarcasm

ESPN's summer forecast on west standings:

6. Memphis Grizzlies
Projected record: 51-31
Last season: 55-27

7. New Orleans Pelicans
Projected record: 47-35
Last season: 45-37

8. Dallas Mavericks
Projected record: 41-41
Last season: 50-32

9. Utah Jazz
Projected record: 40-42
Last season: 38-44

10. Phoenix Suns
Projected record: 35-47
Last season: 39-43

11. Portland Trail Blazers
Projected record: 31-51
Last season: 51-31

12. Sacramento Kings
Projected record: 31-51

Last season: 29-53

13. Denver Nuggets
Projected record: 27-55
Last season: 30-52

14. Los Angeles Lakers
Projected record: 26-56
Last season: 21-61

15. Minnesota Timberwolves
Projected record: 24-58
Last season: 16-66

Your thoughts?
This is ridiculous. They have to be completely ignoring everything we did this offseason. I (for obvious reasons) expected a crapty prediction from ESPN, and from everyone else for that matter, but 31 is just dumb. This squad at its very worse will win 35, at worse. And the biggest reason why this prediction is retarded is because Boogie only played in 59 GAMES last year, gonna get at least 4 more than last years total off of Boogie playing in more games alone. ****in ESPN whats new?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Holiday<Rondo
Gordon= McLemore
Evans=Gay
Davis> WCS
Asik<<< Cousins
I'll fix this for you....really though, if you insist on putting Holiday at PG over Evans then it's Rondo in a Karl offense who way better than the overrated Holiday. The thing is the Kings have so much depth and ability to put out different looks that they can put several lineups out there to matchup or create mismatches that would give NO trouble.

You can put Collison or Bellinelli or Ben at SG to matchup with Gordon. Rondo or Collison are better than Holliday at this point. Evans is the wildcard for NO...at PG he's a tough matchup for opposition. Can Rudy guard Evans? Can Evans guard Rudy?

WCS guarding Davis is an interesting matchup...mobile big men. Davis post up game is not his strength which helps WCS. Davis on the perimeter and running the court against WCS who also can play on the perimeter and run the court....intriguing.

Asik guarding Cousins? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

NO goes with Anderson to stretch the defense and pair him with Davis? OK...which guy guards Cousins?

If we get into the bench, I'm going with the Kings all day.

I wish that was true but its simply not
Holiday> Rondo
Gordon> McLemore
Evans> Casspi
Davis> Gay
Asik< Cousins
This makes no sense cousins and Davis have to match up cause we are comparing teams and they cancel watch other out.

Holiday>Rondo
Gordon>Ben
Evans<Gay
Asik<Koufos or WCS
Davis=DMC

At worst I think we would be even talent wise at starters but the bench changes everything. Collison, Belinelli, Cassipi. Koufos destroys Cole, Pondexter, Cunningham, and Anderson and it's not close.

Holiday> Rondo
Gordon> McLemore
Evans> Casspi
Davis> Gay
Asik< Cousins
Surely you jest.

Holiday over Rondo? Holiday is overrated and has not played more than half a season the last 2 years. Is that the Holiday you are talking about? I hope not. Now Evans at PG is different and IMO, they are better with Evans at the point. He's better at attacking the opposing defense and dropping the ball off in traffic. It's what he was built for. Gordon over McLemore is understandable, but I wouldn't really put him over Belinelli (maybe a smidgen). He is an inefficient chucker and half the time hurts the team more than he helps. At SF, it's Rudy. Until otherwise proven, Rudy is the starting SF and Casspi is a bench player (by the way, Rudy is our second best player and would instantly be the Pelicans 2nd best player as well if roles were reversed -- we have a better 2nd option). Davis vs anyone from us is a huge disadvantage for us, that goes without saying. However, Cousins vs anyone on the Pelicans is a huge disadvantage for them so it evens out. But, and this is a huge question mark and unknown, if Koufos plays as the starting C and Cousins switches to PF, Davis does not have a prayer in the post against Cousins. None. Sure, he will get some blocks in there, but overall, it would be a net gain for us.

It's not always about the best players (even though we have the better bench and if Rondo returns to 75% of his former self, we will have the better starting lineup too), it is also about putting everyone in a position to be successful. We have depth, we have balance, and we have a coach that can take advantage of all of those things. I fully expect us to have a similar record to the Pelicans at minimum. Their only advantage is experience, but they have a new coach (who doesn't know the meaning of defense and wants AD to shoot corner threes = dumb***), so we are ahead in that department.

Edit: Let us not forget about Willie here. He could be a huge x-factor for us against AD in the future. One of the very few big men who could "potentially" defend AD one on one and get away with it. He is just as big and just as athletic.

K

KingMilz

However, Cousins vs anyone on the Pelicans is a huge disadvantage for them so it evens out. But, and this is a huge question mark and unknown, if Koufos plays as the starting C and Cousins switches to PF, Davis does not have a prayer in the post against Cousins. None. Sure, he will get some blocks in there, but overall, it would be a net gain for us.

People need to realize that playing Cousins at PF won't change who is defending him, he still gets the biggest best defender the other team has just cause he plays PF does not mean he will be guarded at any point one on one by Ibaka/Griffin/Davis. If anything it makes way more sense for those guys to be guarding Kosta or Willie since they can offer help more easily.

People need to realize that playing Cousins at PF won't change who is defending him, he still gets the biggest best defender the other team has just cause he plays PF does not mean he will be guarded at any point one on one by Ibaka/Griffin/Davis. If anything it makes way more sense for those guys to be guarding Kosta or Willie since they can offer help more easily.
You have a fair point, it's not as black and white as I made it out to be. Got carried away I suppose.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If there is a repeat of last year from the ownership side then yes. If Vivek can stay out of his own way and let Vlade do his thing then I understand your sarcasm
Even with a meddling owner....the Kings by default will get over 31 wins IMO. Up to this point, Vivek has behaved properly and got out of the way even when the rumors were stove hot between Karl and Cousins strong dislike and firing Karl.

This makes no sense cousins and Davis have to match up cause we are comparing teams and they cancel watch other out.

Holiday>Rondo
Gordon>Ben
Evans<Gay
Asik<Koufos or WCS
Davis=DMC

At worst I think we would be even talent wise at starters but the bench changes everything. Collison, Belinelli, Cassipi. Koufos destroys Cole, Pondexter, Cunningham, and Anderson and it's not close.
Ill take Asik over Koufos or WCS any day of the week and if you think that bench matchup is not even close than I question whether or not you actually follow the league or just the Kings? Ill also take our bench over theirs but only by a lil bit.

Surely you jest.

Holiday over Rondo? Holiday is overrated and has not played more than half a season the last 2 years. Is that the Holiday you are talking about? I hope not. Now Evans at PG is different and IMO, they are better with Evans at the point. He's better at attacking the opposing defense and dropping the ball off in traffic. It's what he was built for. Gordon over McLemore is understandable, but I wouldn't really put him over Belinelli (maybe a smidgen). He is an inefficient chucker and half the time hurts the team more than he helps. At SF, it's Rudy. Until otherwise proven, Rudy is the starting SF and Casspi is a bench player (by the way, Rudy is our second best player and would instantly be the Pelicans 2nd best player as well if roles were reversed -- we have a better 2nd option). Davis vs anyone from us is a huge disadvantage for us, that goes without saying. However, Cousins vs anyone on the Pelicans is a huge disadvantage for them so it evens out. But, and this is a huge question mark and unknown, if Koufos plays as the starting C and Cousins switches to PF, Davis does not have a prayer in the post against Cousins. None. Sure, he will get some blocks in there, but overall, it would be a net gain for us.

It's not always about the best players (even though we have the better bench and if Rondo returns to 75% of his former self, we will have the better starting lineup too), it is also about putting everyone in a position to be successful. We have depth, we have balance, and we have a coach that can take advantage of all of those things. I fully expect us to have a similar record to the Pelicans at minimum. Their only advantage is experience, but they have a new coach (who doesn't know the meaning of defense and wants AD to shoot corner threes = dumb***), so we are ahead in that department.

Edit: Let us not forget about Willie here. He could be a huge x-factor for us against AD in the future. One of the very few big men who could "potentially" defend AD one on one and get away with it. He is just as big and just as athletic.
Yes 100% Holiday over Rondo, did you not see Rondo play last year? Yes Rondo has been more healthy than Holiday but health isint the current debate at hand. Yea I like Evans at PG more to I just listed what I believe to be NO's starting lineup for next year. Actually Coach stated that he plans to continue to start Gay at the 4 (for spacing purposes) just like he did last year and so therefore I assumed the same starting SF. I do agree tho Casspi should be a bench player but if coach insists on starting Rudy at the 4 idk who to put at SF other than Casspi. Eric Gordon an inefficent chucker??? Dude doesn't have the best % from 2 point range but he shot 44% from 3 last year, good for SECOND in the entire NBA. Ur right about Davis and Cousins essentially canceling each other out. I think the Pellies will be better but that it is possible we finish with about the same record as them I just don't think it will happen because we will have to much drama and far less continuity as we turned over the majority of our roster while NO brought back the majority of theirs.

Yes 100% Holiday over Rondo, did you not see Rondo play last year? Yes Rondo has been more healthy than Holiday but health isint the current debate at hand. Yea I like Evans at PG more to I just listed what I believe to be NO's starting lineup for next year. Actually Coach stated that he plans to continue to start Gay at the 4 (for spacing purposes) just like he did last year and so therefore I assumed the same starting SF. I do agree tho Casspi should be a bench player but if coach insists on starting Rudy at the 4 idk who to put at SF other than Casspi. Eric Gordon an inefficent chucker??? Dude doesn't have the best % from 2 point range but he shot 44% from 3 last year, good for SECOND in the entire NBA. Ur right about Davis and Cousins essentially canceling each other out. I think the Pellies will be better but that it is possible we finish with about the same record as them I just don't think it will happen because we will have to much drama and far less continuity as we turned over the majority of our roster while NO brought back the majority of theirs.
Health is always a huge debate when it comes to players. What good is any player if they aren't playing because they are hurt? You have to take that into consideration. Rondo played like crap last year, but I will be optimistic in that he will turn things around. Did you ever have a teacher when you were in school that you just couldn't get along with and it made things considerably more difficult? That's what Rondo had in Dallas. Doomed from the start with Carlisle the perfectionist...... Eric Gordon shot 41% last year overall. 41%. That's horrible and yes, that does mean he is an inefficient chucker. I don't recall Rudy consistently starting at the 4 (unless I am completely losing it). We had JT start most of the season at the 4, and if Rudy played at the 4 it's because we didn't have any other choice. I don't know if that will be the case this year (I am still calling Rudy the SF until Karl himself says otherwise -- if you have the link to where Karl says Rudy is our starting 4, please put it in as I have not heard this). Our starting lineup should be this (maybe not right away, but halfway through the season or so):
-Rondo
-McLemore/Bellinelli (all depends on Ben and if he "shows" up)
-Rudy
-Willie
-Cousins

Our bench would then be: Collison, McLemore/Bellinelli, Casspi, Acy, Koufos, Butler, James Anderson

New Orleans bench: Cole (decent - nice change of pace), Pondexter (decent), Perkins (trash at this point in his career - just scowls at everyone), Whithey (hasn't proved a thing), Anderson (decent, but 1 dimensional and cannot defend to save his life), Luke Babbitt (who?) and Ajinca.

Collison is better than anyone on the Pelicans bench (Collison is a starter on some teams), our big man rotation is significantly better (though not as proficient at shooting), and we have legit size, veterans, leadership, and guts. Our bench is much better than theirs. At least on paper.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gordoer01.html

gunks

Hall of Famer
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13461596/2015-summer-forecast-worst-newcomer

Guess who number one is? Please, basketball Gods, let us blow up this season just so all of these "experts" can eat their own words on the air day in and day out.
Unlike most of the ill informed hit pieces on The Kings this summer, I actually understand this one.

Rondo had acquired the rep of an apathetic stat padder in Boston. In Dallas he was a total cancer in the locker room, and a complete dumpster fire on the court.

I'm not gonna hold my breath or harbor any optimism about how Rondo does here.

That being said, I don't really mind the signing. It's a one year deal, so it's super low risk. And we have Collison.

Rondo either makes us way better, or his career continues its nosedive and we bench him or trade him. Worst case we need to trade for a backup PG and start Collison (who played great with Cuz and Rudy).

So yeah, Rondo could suck. Whatevs. We could also still make the playoffs.

Starting at at pg makes no sense Casspi isn't starting material.

Unlike most of the ill informed hit pieces on The Kings this summer, I actually understand this one.

Rond o had acquired the rep of an apathetic stat padder in Boston. In Dallas he was a total cancer in the locker room, and a complete dumpster fire on the court.

I'm not gonna hold my breath or harbor any optimism about how Rondo does here.

That being said, I don't really mind the signing. It's a one year deal, so it's super low risk. And we have Collison.

Rondo either makes us way better, or his career continues its nosedive and we bench him or trade him. Worst case we need to trade for a backup PG and start Collison (who played great with Cuz and Rudy).

So yeah, Rondo could suck. Whatevs. We could also still make the playoffs.
Yes, its not the end of the world, if Rondo doesn't work or else I gladly eat crow. Fortunately, eating crow is getting more tasty/customary in Kings land lately.

The best candidate is Wesley Matthews, who was lured to sign Jordan, but Jordan spurned the Mavs and Matthews' initial deal grew from $57 mln in 4 years to $70 mln. Now with the increased expectations (hopefully, he fully recovers from his achilles injury) and hefty price tag the trophy easily could belong to him. Then he'd be no longer a flexible piece to move around, unlike Rondo, who can be just cut loose.

Last edited:
Health is always a huge debate when it comes to players. What good is any player if they aren't playing because they are hurt? You have to take that into consideration. Rondo played like crap last year, but I will be optimistic in that he will turn things around. Did you ever have a teacher when you were in school that you just couldn't get along with and it made things considerably more difficult? That's what Rondo had in Dallas. Doomed from the start with Carlisle the perfectionist...... Eric Gordon shot 41% last year overall. 41%. That's horrible and yes, that does mean he is an inefficient chucker.
I don't see how Rondo is better when it comes to health... if we look at the last 3 seasons of each player:

Holiday- 40, 34 and 78 for a total of 152 games.
Rondo- 68, 30 and 38 for a total of 136 games.

So over the last 3 years Rondo played 16 fewer games, the last time Rondo played over 68 games was in 2009/10.

And blaming his poor preformence on Dallas isn't really right, he was bad before.
In the 22 games Rondo played in Boston last year the team record was a negative 8 out of 22 (8-14, 0.36), and without him they were a positive 32-28 (0.53). so Boston was actually better without him.
Even if you go to 2013/14, when his minutes went to rookies and borderline NBA players, in the 30 games he played that season their record was a terrible 6 out of 30 (6-24, 0.2), and withot him they were much better at 19-33 (0.36).
Rondo has been bad for a while now, it just blew up in Dallas because no one cared about the post-KG/Pierce-trade Celtics.

And about Eric Gordon, you called him an "inefficient chucker", and yes his 41 FG% is horrible, but his 44.8% from three on 5.2 attempts makes up for it. and is TS% of 54.5 is actually equal to the TS% of one Demarcus Cousins.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Off topic but didnt know where else to put this but was reading some snippets about Phil Jackson describing Derrick Williams' game. Said that he can finish well in early offense, working on his 3 point game and is a strong finisher. Phil blamed his player development (basically he threw Minny and Sac under the bus) for Derrick's shortcomings.

I did not see anything in there about DWill's mental capacity. If Phil can take this kid to the next level then I will tip my hat to him but after watching DWill for the last few years, I suspect Phil is going to eventually become frustrated with the kid.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't see how Rondo is better when it comes to health... if we look at the last 3 seasons of each player:

So over the last 3 years Rondo played 16 fewer games, the last time Rondo played over 68 games was in 2009/10.
These situations really aren't very comparable. If we drop it down to the last two years, then Rondo is +24 games on Holiday, and for one season it's +28. There are some selective endpoint issues there and the recent past does not favor Holiday. Rondo had one major injury, it was three seasons ago, it was surgically repaired, and the majority of the time that he missed was due to healing and rehab. Since that time, he's been back. Holiday has had lingering issues over each of the last two seasons that to my knowledge have not been resolved and in both cases kept him out of action for far longer than originally anticipated. Rondo was hurt and got well. He may never get back to his pre-injury athleticism, but he can get on the court consistently. Holiday is still hurt and nobody seems to be sure what to do about it.

These situations really aren't very comparable. If we drop it down to the last two years, then Rondo is +24 games on Holiday, and for one season it's +28. There are some selective endpoint issues there and the recent past does not favor Holiday. Rondo had one major injury, it was three seasons ago, it was surgically repaired, and the majority of the time that he missed was due to healing and rehab. Since that time, he's been back. Holiday has had lingering issues over each of the last two seasons that to my knowledge have not been resolved and in both cases kept him out of action for far longer than originally anticipated. Rondo was hurt and got well. He may never get back to his pre-injury athleticism, but he can get on the court consistently. Holiday is still hurt and nobody seems to be sure what to do about it.
Again, Rondo hasn't played over 68 games since 2009/10 season- that's 5 consecutive years he missed a significant amount of games. that predates the ACL tear (January 2013), he had some other injuries before that and since (the ACL of course is the major one).

From what I read about Holiday, he is by all acounts supposed to be healthy come opening night (it's not clear if he's ready for the preseason). and while I do see his situation as potentially riskier, I think that due to Rondo's injury history it's quite weird to base your arguments about him being better at health (it should be noted that Rondo will turn 30 in feburary while Holiday is 25).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
... I think that due to Rondo's injury history it's quite weird to base your arguments about him being better at health ...
I'm not really making any other argument here. I'm simply pointing out that recently Rondo has been more healthy than Holiday and until Holiday proves otherwise I'm skeptical about his recovery. Last offseason it was the same thing with Holiday - oh, he's fully healthy and then whoops! halfway through the season the same leg injury happens. And it was like, oh, he'll only be out a couple of weeks and instead he misses almost the entire remainder of the year. I feel comfortable with Rondo being healthy in the near term - the ACL should be fixed and healed by now. I don't know what's going on with Holiday, and I don't trust it.

And blaming his poor preformence on Dallas isn't really right, he was bad before.
In the 22 games Rondo played in Boston last year the team record was a negative 8 out of 22 (8-14, 0.36), and without him they were a positive 32-28 (0.53). so Boston was actually better without him.
Even if you go to 2013/14, when his minutes went to rookies and borderline NBA players, in the 30 games he played that season their record was a terrible 6 out of 30 (6-24, 0.2), and withot him they were much better at 19-33 (0.36).
Rondo has been bad for a while now, it just blew up in Dallas because no one cared about the post-KG/Pierce-trade Celtics.

And about Eric Gordon, you called him an "inefficient chucker", and yes his 41 FG% is horrible, but his 44.8% from three on 5.2 attempts makes up for it. and is TS% of 54.5 is actually equal to the TS% of one Demarcus Cousins.
22 games is a relatively small sample size and the reason they were much better after Rondo isn't 100% due to Rondo being traded. They got some other players in return that helped them reach the playoffs. On Eric Gordon, we will have to agree to disagree. His 2P FG% was 38% (and he took more shots from 2 than from 3 - even though he shot better from the 3). If that is not an inefficient chucker, then I don't know what an inefficient chucker is.
- He shoots more from the places he misses the most (does that make sense to you?)
- He shot 38% (he made less than 2 out of every 5 shots) from the 2
- Shot 41% overall
- But of course, all of the above can be forgiven for the 2-3 threes he hits per game while missing everything else

The true shooting percentage is a bit misleading when comparing to Cousins. Cousins is a worse free throw shooter (he's a big man after all) and does not shoot threes. Also, he is the main focal point on offense and defense. Eric Gordon is no one's focal point (unless the game plan is to allow him to shoot inside the arc, which is truly a good idea for the opposing team). Eric Gordon does a couple of things well - shoots the three well and free throw well. He does everything else either average or below average. There is a reason Gordon was on the trading block several times with the Pelicans, he did not live up to his (at the time huge) contract.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Some of the rationalizing going on here is far fetched. Comparing Eric Gordon's stats to Cousins' to prove a point...I mean who does that? Seems to me that a couple of the forum members here who keep wanting to prove that NO is better....your buying into the National Media line of thinking.

Comparing Holiday and Rondo....2 completely different types of PGs. Rondo blows him away a floor general and in assists category. Holliday is more of a scorer. One has been to the playoffs continually in his career. I guess you can make a case against Rondo when he played with Dallas but I blame Dallas and Rick Carlisle in acquiring him and not utilizing him correctly. Under Karl, we should see a resurgence in Rondo. Holliday? Not even the best PG on his team.

Eric Gordon.....has NO ever gotten value out of that contract?