zach lowe joerger interview

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Definitely worth the listen. I don't think there are any huge revelations in there, but it's just a look into Joerger and how down to earth he is. The guy talks for 38 minutes, it's not calculated, it's not guarded. You know, a couple of times he says something and then goes back and says that's not really how he wanted to to say it, which is oddly refreshing. Shoot, Lowe kept trying to cut the interview off because of the length and Joerger just ignored him and kept going.

I'm not one to root against Sacramento coaches. Every guy who comes in since Adelman I've been hoping is going to be able to fill his shoes. I want to see a guy who can coach us for 15+ years and get us a couple of rings and take ownership of "Best Coach in Kings History" and with the exception of Karl (who I knew didn't have that kind of time on his clock) I've wished that for all of them. But they've all felt like lottery tickets to me. And in spite of the history of this franchise, Joerger feels different. More like some stock in a tech startup with a clever product and a couple of hardworking people I know at the helm. No guarantees, but this time it wouldn't shock me if it panned out. Come on, Joerger, let's start with the 8 seed!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Poor Zach Lowe repeatedly getting shot down in his bid to play armchair coach. After a year of George Karl, Joerger is probably just what the doctor ordered.

Poor Zach Lowe repeatedly getting shot down in his bid to play armchair coach. After a year of George Karl, Joerger is probably just what the doctor ordered.
I'm having a bit of trouble establishing "what goals" or what a "successful" season for us should be this season.

I'll be happy if we start playing tough defense and the young guys develop, but as far as wins or loses, I'm not sure what a good season would be. Hearing Joerger say it wasn't about the wins and loses this season and the coach speak, well I actually buy that this season.

I don't have the win or get out vibe I had with Karl.

I like him. His personality seems to fit the community too, if that makes sense. It also feels like he should mesh with Cousins as Joerger seems to talk straight up. Not condescending, not know it all, willing to go back and correct himself without a hint of becoming defensive about needing to do so. I also really liked the bit about how knowing how to talk to different personalities in an appropriate way is important, we lacked that last year at times... He can frame his words in a way that construe criticism without being confrontational and aggressive. It isn't hard to see how he has the personality (skill?) to get along with big egos if necessary.

I am looking forward to seeing what he can do with the team as much as I look forward to watching a high draft pick. It should be fun!

I'm having a bit of trouble establishing "what goals" or what a "successful" season for us should be this season.

I'll be happy if we start playing tough defense and the young guys develop, but as far as wins or loses, I'm not sure what a good season would be. Hearing Joerger say it wasn't about the wins and loses this season and the coach speak, well I actually buy that this season.

I don't have the win or get out vibe I had with Karl.
Sounded to me like it's just about a culture change. If at the end of the year the guys are trusting each other, playing as a team for 48 minutes and working hard it'll be successful.

Sounded to me like it's just about a culture change. If at the end of the year the guys are trusting each other, playing as a team for 48 minutes and working hard it'll be successful.
I think that sounds like a pretty good goal. Considering our history that would be an accomplishment. Seeing the guys all work hard, be happy, play some D.

I guess the wins/loses are not gonna feel as important as they have in recent memory. I think I can say that authentically. Haven't felt that way since the Westphal days. Even with Malone the "pressure" felt different.

I still think we are gonna win a bunch of games though :D Got a decent number of vets that I don't think will be content with losing. As Joerger said, under promise over deliver.

Really liked what Joerger had to say. This season won't be about the W/Ls, I think it'll be about changing the culture around here. This is why we brought in the high character vets in Temple, Tolliver, and Barnes(kind of).

2017/18 will be the season where it'll be about the W/Ls. The most important thing in keeping Cousins here.

I also liked his little tid bit on Ben. I feel like some fans are pretty damn harsh on Ben...not here specifically, but on other fansites, I've seen people question his love for basketball or even overall mental state. Ben has been dealt an unfair hand. Brought into a dysfunctional organization, and you expect him to flourish into a star? Only superstars would be able to go through that adversity and still come out ok..aka DeMarcus Cousins. Ben isn't that superstar.

First year, he's looking like a decent rookie under Malone. 2nd year? He looks freaking great...but we fire Malone 1/4 into Ben's 2nd season, then hire Ty Corbin. 3/4 through his 2nd season, we fire Corbin, then hire Karl. 3rd season? Karl mess.

How can you actually expect a 19/20yearold SG to be able to develop and flourish under these conditions? It's unfair to him.

It's not our coaches fault that Ben can't advance his ball handling, but some of it does fall down on the organization.

I'm really hoping Joerger can change the culture around the Kings. It's been toxic for way too long. He's a great coach.

this is like the 3rd year in a row ive heard its not about W/L's. Im kinda tired of hearing that because to me it is.
I honestly don't know if this roster is talented enough to win 40+ games. We have Cousins, Gay, and a bunch of role players. I'd compare this team to last year's Pacers, but a big 3 of George, Ellis, and Hill is better than Cousins, Gay, and Collison when given context. When the rest of your roster can't create shots for themselves, the Pacers trio would be better.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Really liked what Joerger had to say. This season won't be about the W/Ls, I think it'll be about changing the culture around here. This is why we brought in the high character vets in Temple, Tolliver, and Barnes(kind of).

2017/18 will be the season where it'll be about the W/Ls. The most important thing in keeping Cousins here.

I also liked his little tid bit on Ben. I feel like some fans are pretty damn harsh on Ben...not here specifically, but on other fansites, I've seen people question his love for basketball or even overall mental state. Ben has been dealt an unfair hand. Brought into a dysfunctional organization, and you expect him to flourish into a star? Only superstars would be able to go through that adversity and still come out ok..aka DeMarcus Cousins. Ben isn't that superstar.

First year, he's looking like a decent rookie under Malone. 2nd year? He looks freaking great...but we fire Malone 1/4 into Ben's 2nd season, then hire Ty Corbin. 3/4 through his 2nd season, we fire Corbin, then hire Karl. 3rd season? Karl mess.

How can you actually expect a 19/20yearold SG to be able to develop and flourish under these conditions? It's unfair to him.

It's not our coaches fault that Ben can't advance his ball handling, but some of it does fall down on the organization.

I'm really hoping Joerger can change the culture around the Kings. It's been toxic for way too long. He's a great coach.
So Cousins wants to waste another season of his prime years having the franchise not worrying about wins and losses? I don't buy it.

Decent rookie under Malone? There were plenty of goose eggs in the scoring column in the year for him. Ben isn't some diamond in the rough

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Definitely worth the listen. I don't think there are any huge revelations in there, but it's just a look into Joerger and how down to earth he is. The guy talks for 38 minutes, it's not calculated, it's not guarded. You know, a couple of times he says something and then goes back and says that's not really how he wanted to to say it, which is oddly refreshing. Shoot, Lowe kept trying to cut the interview off because of the length and Joerger just ignored him and kept going.

I'm not one to root against Sacramento coaches. Every guy who comes in since Adelman I've been hoping is going to be able to fill his shoes. I want to see a guy who can coach us for 15+ years and get us a couple of rings and take ownership of "Best Coach in Kings History" and with the exception of Karl (who I knew didn't have that kind of time on his clock) I've wished that for all of them. But they've all felt like lottery tickets to me. And in spite of the history of this franchise, Joerger feels different. More like some stock in a tech startup with a clever product and a couple of hardworking people I know at the helm. No guarantees, but this time it wouldn't shock me if it panned out. Come on, Joerger, let's start with the 8 seed!
Couldn't agree more Capt.

So Cousins wants to waste another season of his prime years having the franchise not worrying about wins and losses? I don't buy it.
1. It's always about W/Ls.
2. With a new coach, a bnch of new players, and a bunch of n'er-do-well returnees you have to have time to make team that plats team-basketball.
3. Cousins goes or stays as he sees fit. So be it. If a "team" clearly begins to come out of these changes then he and the rest of the players are more likely to stay.
4. There are two choices for us, a) follow and watch the Kings play or, b) not.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like him. His personality seems to fit the community too, if that makes sense. It also feels like he should mesh with Cousins as Joerger seems to talk straight up. Not condescending, not know it all, willing to go back and correct himself without a hint of becoming defensive about needing to do so. I also really liked the bit about how knowing how to talk to different personalities in an appropriate way is important, we lacked that last year at times... He can frame his words in a way that construe criticism without being confrontational and aggressive. It isn't hard to see how he has the personality (skill?) to get along with big egos if necessary.

I am looking forward to seeing what he can do with the team as much as I look forward to watching a high draft pick. It should be fun!
Having managed some people in my life, the most important thing you have to learn is that everyone is different, and your approach needs to be different. Some you have to hit over the head to get them to respond, and some you have to put your arm around their shoulder, pat them on the back, and try to build their confidence. You always have to remember, it's not about you, but about them them. Joerger seems to get that one size doesn't fit all. He also falls into the "He who is without sin, cast the first stone" camp. I like what he said about Cousins having to make sure his game is tight before being critical of his teammates. Good interview and more revealing about Joerger than how he'll run the team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Especially after playing with guys around his age that's already playoff tested in rio? It's playoffs or bust with boogie
Well, that's what a lot of people want you to think. Cuz always seems to surprise people with his commitment to Sacramento. I think it's fair to say the Joerger has had this conversation with Cousins. If he's unhappy with that approach, he certainly hasn't let anyone know about it. You can approach buikding a team with a fairytale mentality, or you can get down and start laying the foundation for the longterm stability of the team. The first approach sounds a lot more fun, and the second sounds boring and requires patience.

Yeah, I know, you've been asked to be patient for the last ten or so years. However, you have to remember that Vlade and Joerger have had nothing to do with those ten years. It's not their fault that the team is in basically the same condition it was ten or so years ago, and that the steps required to fix it, are the same steps needed ten years ago. Everyone kept trying to win now, instead of building for the future. We traded away draft picks, or made picks for PR purposes. We traded for aging veterans and paid too big a price for them. Or we, as an organization that wasn't able to develop it's own players, signed or traded for failed picks from other teams thinking that we could somehow turn their careers around.

Vlade and Joerger are taking the right approach. They're trying change the culture of the team. When Joerger said that it wasn't about win's or losses, he didn't mean that he wasn't going to try to win, but that you have to be realistic about what the results might be. If you really want to solve a problem, you can't be childish about it. You can't delude your self into thinking you can wave a magic wand and suddenly become a playoff team. What you can do is start laying the groundwork for the future. To my mind, this team has underachieved almost every year . Having said that, progress would be seeing the team overachieve. That would be a sign of culture change. That would finally be something to build on.

So is it pretty much assumed at this point that Gay is gonna stay? In the interview Joerger considers him his only SF. He views Barnes and Casspi more as 4's. Also is high on Skal, wants to develop him in the background but will be in the mix, especially if we are out of playoff picture. Also seems high on Ben, Ben did have some of his better games against Memphis. At this point what is there to lose in giving him one last look.

As of now I could see a starting lineup of
Collison
Afflalo
Gay
Barnes
Cousins

especially if Willie doesn't outright claim a spot.

So is it pretty much assumed at this point that Gay is gonna stay? In the interview Joerger considers him his only SF. He views Barnes and Casspi more as 4's. Also is high on Skal, wants to develop him in the background but will be in the mix, especially if we are out of playoff picture. Also seems high on Ben, Ben did have some of his better games against Memphis. At this point what is there to lose in giving him one last look.

As of now I could see a starting lineup of
Collison
Afflalo
Gay
Barnes
Cousins

especially if Willie doesn't outright claim a spot.
He said he was only kidding about that part.

Voison has good interview with Dave Joerger

In today's Bee Voison's recent interview with Coach Joerger is in column today. Good stuff, even mentioning who is working out with the coaches right now. Also answered my question of where his family found their 10 acres - El Dorado Hills.

Buy the Bee.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Voison? Good article?

Somebody ban this troll. :p

Edit: well shoot, that was a nice little read on our new coach. I guess pigs get their wings today.

Last edited:
Decent rookie under Malone? There were plenty of goose eggs in the scoring column in the year for him. Ben isn't some diamond in the rough
Ben needs to stop picking up his dribble so early on drives. If you do that, you commit to doing something already. That, and drive more often.

Ben's best hope for the upcoming season is to turn into a 3&D guy. I am not sure he has the basketball IQ to be a great defender but if he wants to have a creer in this league and make money, 3&D is his calling. At least for the time being.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well he hit the nail on the head on every point. Not to start a another lets bash Cuz thread, but part of the reason our transition defense was bad, was because too often Cuz wasn't getting back. Some of that was of his own doing, by arguing with officials while the ball was still live, and part was due to the ridiculous pace the team played at. I think having Cousins in the high post will help his transition defense, and playing more of half court offense with ball movement will help as well.

The thing is, Cuz is our best rebounder, and that puts him under the basket, which also means he last out of the shute. Willie needs to be the designated get back and protect the basket guy.