YouTube TV and Kings

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Looking at the info from others in this thread, researching carriers and looking at the lineup on YTTV, it seems we would get everything we need with yttv and strictly streaming on the Samsung
Most if not all channels we watch already
Kings and Giants
Ability to get nba league pass
We already stream Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO/Max, Appletv, DisneyPlus, Peacock….maybe too many there
Already signed up for Sunday ticket on YouTube only…..I’m a Bears fan so it’s a must
Use Prime to get MLB.TV which looks quite a bit like ExtraInnings.

AND…..I think I would be saving money by getting away from Directtv.
So one of the best parts is you can do a trial before you unsub from Directtv and make sure it works for you and cancel whichever one you decide to ditch.

That's the best part, cancelling cable (and I assume sat tv) is a headache. Cancelling these OTT streaming cable replacements is just a button click.

In that case, wrt to Fox 40, NFL games and the World Series -- have you considered affixing an outdoor HD over-the-air antennae to your residence?

I ordered and installed one, including an active signal amplifier, about a year and a half ago and it works great (as opposed to indoor antennas).

One major benefit is being able to avoid contract disputes like the one you're currently experiencing. Also, IDK that a lot of people know this, but there are a TON more local channels available over-the-air than the standard 3, 10, 13, 31, 40 and 58 that you get via DTV or a cable provider (IIRC there's well over 60+ channels).

For example, channel 3 has alternate channels such as 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 which airs a lot of different content. My wife and I often watch channel 31.2 which is LAFF TV, which airs a lot of older sitcoms from the 90's and 2000's.

So you'd get a lot more "local" content than you receive via DTV, or any other provider, but, most importantly, you'd always have a backup option when these contract disputes occur OR when weather is causing satellite signal disruption OR when Internet connectivity is spotty or lost entirely.

Here's a link to a website where you can check channel availability and relative signal strength at your local address. Make sure to select the "All Channels" option once the list populates: https://www.channelmaster.com/pages/free-tv-channels

The downside to using an over-the-air antennae is the inability to pause live action or use a DVR. But, there are options available to use a USB storage drive and create your own DVR for over-the-air content. A simple google search can help with that. And if you're using the antennae option strictly as a backup for when your service provider option isn't available, the lack of a DVR may not be so important to you.

Also, while most channels have great signal, local channel 10.1 (ABC) seems to have the most problem with signal based upon how you have to aim the antenna. So that's why I purchased and added a signal booster amplifier. But even then it still receives weaker signal than the other major network channels (Fox 40 is never an issue for me).

If you aren't the "do it yourself" type, you can hire a professional to order the equipment and install for you. Regardless how you get it installed, I highly recommend taking advantage of all those channels beaming over your airspace.
Well, Kingsfansince85, not everybody can own their own home right now, especially Kingsfansince2010. Kingsfansince2010 ran into a slightly different market than Kingsfansince85 lol.

Just to say, kfs2010 might have the same antenna mounting skills as kfs85, but kfs2010 ran into a bigger problem than just mounting an antenna such as, oh idk, the cost of living increase vs the salary increase.

Looking at the info from others in this thread, researching carriers and looking at the lineup on YTTV, it seems we would get everything we need with yttv and strictly streaming on the Samsung
Most if not all channels we watch already
Kings and Giants
Ability to get nba league pass
We already stream Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO/Max, Appletv, DisneyPlus, Peacock….maybe too many there
Already signed up for Sunday ticket on YouTube only…..I’m a Bears fan so it’s a must
Use Prime to get MLB.TV which looks quite a bit like ExtraInnings.

AND…..I think I would be saving money by getting away from Directtv.
So one of the best parts is you can do a trial before you unsub from Directtv and make sure it works for you and cancel whichever one you decide to ditch.

That's the best part, cancelling cable (and I assume sat tv) is a headache. Cancelling these OTT streaming cable replacements is just a button click.
For the record, I was a LONG time DirectTV subscriber before recently switching over to YTTV a few months ago.

My initial plan was to use YTTV through the end of the NFL season then switch back to DTV sometime in January. Having been on YTTV for a few months now, I’m not certain whether I will follow through with that plan or not yet, but I have until March to decide.

FWIW, if you want to play it safe and cultivate multiple options, you can “suspend” DTV for up to 9 months (and twice within a 12 month period). That’s what I ended up doing this past June. So I could be sure YTTV and streaming only would work out long term for the wife and I. So far so good.

But I do have the option to resume DTV any time before March w/o having cancel and send back equipment.

Lastly, if switching to YTTV for the NFL package, I highly recommend contacting your ISP to ensure you are on the right data package for volume HD/4K streaming and that you have a router/switch that supports the speeds for which you’re paying.

My ISP offers a great deal every 12 months and I had previously signed up for a 1 Gigabit speed connection with unlimited data for $79 per month. However, after signing up for Sunday Ticket in June, I discovered that I wasn’t getting the 800-900 Megabit download speeds I should be. And the router I’d purchased a few year priors was the reason why.

In the end, I ended up using the built in router included within my cable modem. While the Wi-Fi receivers within Samsung TV’s don’t seem capable of achieving the speeds I’m getting while connected via an ethernet cable, the speed is much faster than it was before hand. If you plan on streaming multiple games at the same time, it makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Starting the slow process of discontinuing Direct tv. Stopped the automatic renewal on NBA League Pass.
When the person asked if I would be interested in any deals at the moment, I asked them I would be interested to know when they are getting Fox back. I’m missing critical content such as the World Cup, Football will be on soon, etc
They agreed to take $20 off next month.
I’ll have to make a move when the ExtraInnings package is about completed.

YouTube TV for 3 years on the Oregon coast south of Coos Bay. I get both Kings and Warriors games on MSNBC sports. Local stations are out of Eugene and get NBATV for no extra. No same day games though. It’s up to 75 a month though. I recommend it.

Another plus to YTTV is you can have up to 3 simultaneously streaming screens. This allows you to share it with others and split the cost. Each person has their own sign on through google with their own cloud DVR as well. I’ve been doing this for a while now with no issues, brings the cost down to about $25/month per person.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
No same day games though.
Do you mean League Pass is blacked out for 24 hours? (which is no big deal if you DVR)?

Wonder what territory Bend gets - I'm flirting with the idea of Bend in summers and Tuscon in winters when kiddo graduates, but not sure if my partner can leave Portland.
Also do you get Blazers in Coos Bay?

Do you mean League Pass is blacked out for 24 hours? (which is no big deal if you DVR)?

Wonder what territory Bend gets - I'm flirting with the idea of Bend in summers and Tuscon in winters when kiddo graduates, but not sure if my partner can leave Portland.
Also do you get Blazers in Coos Bay?
I don’t get Blazer’s. They are on Root Sports now instead of MSNBC sports NW. YT doesn’t carry Root in my area at least.
NBA TV is free but I don’t have League Pass. I looked into it and my zip code is blacked out for Kings, Warriors, and Blazers. I don’t remember whether it was 24 or 72 hours even if I bought the Kings specific package.
sorry I am not sure about Bend.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don’t get Blazer’s. They are on Root Sports now instead of MSNBC sports NW. YT doesn’t carry Root in my area at least.
NBA TV is free but I don’t have League Pass. I looked into it and my zip code is blacked out for Kings, Warriors, and Blazers. I don’t remember whether it was 24 or 72 hours even if I bought the Kings specific package.
sorry I am not sure about Bend.
oh you're right I totally forgot about their move to Root! What a friggin joke. Root is the worst. It does sound like before Root you'd have got them all. Stupid Root :D

Another plus to YTTV is you can have up to 3 simultaneously streaming screens. This allows you to share it with others and split the cost. Each person has their own sign on through google with their own cloud DVR as well. I’ve been doing this for a while now with no issues, brings the cost down to about $25/month per person.
It's 3 simultaneous streams WITHIN the same household. Only 1 stream outside of the household.

However, if you add-on their 4K package, you then get unlimited streams WITHIN the same household.

If you have the NFL Sunday Ticket package, the same unlimited streams WITHIN the household applies (they initially limited it at 2 until receiving a lot of blowback) and 2 streams outside the household. This applies to Sunday Ticket games only, not all other content. You still need the 4K add-on to get unlimited streams instead of 3.

The above said, they offer a feature called "Family Groups". If you create a Google family group, you can share YouTube TV or access to Primetime Channels with up to 5 other members at no extra cost.

It's 3 simultaneous streams WITHIN the same household. Only 1 stream outside of the household.

However, if you add-on their 4K package, you then get unlimited streams WITHIN the same household.

If you have the NFL Sunday Ticket package, the same unlimited streams WITHIN the household applies (they initially limited it at 2 until receiving a lot of blowback) and 2 streams outside the household. This applies to Sunday Ticket games only, not all other content. You still need the 4K add-on to get unlimited streams instead of 3.

The above said, they offer a feature called "Family Groups". If you create a Google family group, you can share YouTube TV or access to Primetime Channels with up to 5 other members at no extra cost.
I don’t think that’s correct about the 3 simultaneous screens within the same household. I’ve been sharing with 2 others, we all live in same area, (Roseville, Lincoln) with no issues. This is from their website FAQ:

“Yes, your YouTube TV membership comes with 6 accounts to share with roommates or family members in your household (ages 13 and up). Everyone gets their own login, personalized recommendations, and individual DVR Library.

Your membership includes up to 3 simultaneous streams. For an additional monthly charge, our 4K Plus add-on unlocks unlimited streams at home, so you can watch YouTube TV on as many compatible screens as you want.”

Doesn’t say anything about WITHIN in the FAQ except when talking about the unlimited screens from “home” with the 4k. In fact, when I canceled YTTV the first time a couple years ago their email to me to try and keep me on encouraged sharing to lower the cost. I’ll definitely post an update on here if we run into issues with too many screens, but it’s been fine for over a year.

Apologies for going off topic, but I just purchased a Roku and added NBATV for $99/year. It was handy for all the games NOT on network television (which was most of them last year), at a pretty reasonable price.

Ok. It’s opening night and there are 12 games on tap.

It’s christmas early for me as I’ve currently got 8 games streaming across 5 TV’s directly in front of me. It’s freaking awesome!

Much props to YTTV for their “multigame” feature that makes it possible!

I’ve got a my main 65” that we use for day to day viewing, and I’ve got a mobile TV cart that I’ve got two 43” mounted and on the weekends I have 2 additional 43” tv’s that I bring out from my office for college football and the NFL.

Well, I decided to bring them out tonight for opening night to experience all the madness.

I’ve got the 65” streaming a 4-game multistream and the other 4 tv’s streaming an individual game. It’s AWESOME!

Even better, I’ve got the NBA set to my favorites so ALL the games are saved for later viewing. So I can go back and watch any game I missed or at least the exciting endings.

I really wish I could watch Kings in the Sacramento area....I cancelled my comcast, because I didn't watch much TV, other than Kings games and thus it wasn't worth the big monthly cost just to watch Kings Games......I'm in the Sacramento area, so I know that subscribing to Youtube TV wouldn't work for me as the games would be blacked out... Guess I'll just have to either move or just keep listening on the radio.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I really wish I could watch Kings in the Sacramento area....I cancelled my comcast, because I didn't watch much TV, other than Kings games and thus it wasn't worth the big monthly cost just to watch Kings Games......I'm in the Sacramento area, so I know that subscribing to Youtube TV wouldn't work for me as the games would be blacked out... Guess I'll just have to either move or just keep listening on the radio.
If you are in the Sacramento area you WILL get Kings games on YouTubeTV - that's my provider.

Kings are not blacked out in Sacramento on YTTV. You will get Comcast Sports Net on YouTube TV which gives you ALL the Kings games.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
yes and add to your sports team list so it records
Yeah, typically if you set one game to record the option comes up to record all games as well, just select it and the game will show up in your "Library".

There are basically three main options in the interface: "Library", which is your saved stuff; "Home", which is typically a list of what it thinks you'll want to watch; and "Live", which is standard TV listings like any other platform. Obviously for live games you are able to find the games in the "Live" listings, and before long the "Home" listing will suggest Kings games if they are about to start.

My only complaint is that there's a slight delay - you'll end up 5-10 seconds behind the box score.

yes and add to your sports team list so it records
Or, if you like to follow other games or at least the ends of other games, you can set add “NBA” to the library so it catches ALL games from all teams — including special events.

I do this for NBA, NFL, and NCAA. There’s no limit to what can be saved and watched later, so why not?

IIRC library items remain available for 8-9 months.