Would you sign Omri Casspi for another tenure with the Kings?

As we all know Omri Casspi will be a free agent in the summer, after his 1- year contract with the Kings will be expired in the end of the season.

Casspi just like the rest of the player on the Kings squad was given to three different coaches exchanges as the season was passing by, we all know that under coach Karl's and Malone's stint Casspi was playing his best basketball of his career probably, but under coach Corbin Casspi's performances sunk and with that the Kings sunk as well.

Since the all-star break, under coach Karl's tenure Casspi is showing his best basketball of his career, it seems like if he regained his confidence back, he is playing with enthusiasm again, in fact, when playing for coach Karl Casspi was able to tie his career high for assists with 7, break his career high in rebounds with 17! and also able to break his career high for points with 31.
Since the all-star break Casspi was able to significantly improve his three-points percentages and according to Marc Stein Casspi is ranked n0. 6 in three-point percentages since the all-star break with 46.7.
His three-point percentages per the entire 2014-2015 season are 40.2, which are his best percentages in three-pointers in his entire career in the league.
His field goals percentages this season are also his best of his career with 48.9.

Casspi has seemed to have his most effective season of his career this season in Sacramento, my question for you is, if you were to decide whether we shall resign Casspi for a contract with the Kings, would you do so? for how long, and for what amount of salary?

Yes ................................ depending on size of contract and length. And no, I don't expect him to take the minimum.

All depends on who else we have. Casspi has been good the last few games, but let's not forget that's with Collison/Gay/Cousins out (or at least two of the three). He may be good as a backup SF, but it's hard to say for sure. I'd be fine with resigning him if he can be productive in a catch & shoot role or basically some scoring role where his ballhandling duties are limited. It's nice seeing him regain confidence in his 3 point shot these last 10-15 games.

Still, I wouldn't give him a long term deal. He's had a shaky career, and this season he had really bad play sandwiched by good play. So I'm not convinced that he's reliable and consistent player enough to be a key rotation guy. As an 8/9/10th guy? Sure.

The Kings signed Outlaw for four seasons at $3 million per back when the salary cap was lower. I don't think it'd be overpaying a valuable bench contributor to use the Room Exception to do a two year $5.5 million deal. Personally I think that would actually be a bit of a bargain.
I also believe that Casspi should be paid approximately between 4-5 million dollars for 2-3 years.
Sounds about right, Casspi showed he can help the team a lot when needed, so I believe this amount of salary is decent.

The Kings signed Outlaw for four seasons at $3 million per back when the salary cap was lower. I don't think it'd be overpaying a valuable bench contributor to use the Room Exception to do a two year $5.5 million deal. Personally I think that would actually be a bit of a bargain.
I like what omri has done this season, but please don't use one of the worst contracts that we signed and probably the worst use of amnesty bidding in the entire league as a jumping off point for what a bench swing is worth.

Him and Miller should be brought back but it also wouldn't surprise me if Casspi is let go if they are aiming higher like a J. Butler type player.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like what omri has done this season, but please don't use one of the worst contracts that we signed and probably the worst use of amnesty bidding in the entire league as a jumping off point for what a bench swing is worth.
Outlaw ended up being a beyond awful signing, but the rationale behind it was solid. Backup SF who can spot start is easily worth $2-3 million per. Casspi brought the sort of things Petrie was hoping Outlaw would. I actually thought it was a "meh" signing at the time but Omri has played with such passion and determination (and especially well under Karl) that I'm now at the point where I'd be upset if he didn't return.

at the right price, i think it's a no-brainer, if only because omri casspi gives a damn. with so much dysfunction swirling around the kings this season, i just don't see any of the upper-tier or mid-tier free agents being attracted to the kings as a destination. that said, the money should be there to re-sign casspi...

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
salary is what's going to make or break this as a positive deal IMO....I'd welcome him back, he has shown great strides under Karl and for the right amount I'd sign him for a short two year deal.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The suggestion is two years at less than $3M per year and you think a bench swing forward isn't worth that? Especially a bench swing forward playing the way Omri has been playing since his knee got better? Honestly, he's been playing like an MLE player whenever he's healthy. I'd sign 2 years/$6M total the second it came across my desk and not even flinch. Giggle with glee, perhaps, but not flinch.

This was just discussed here:
http://www.kingsfans.com/threads/omri-casspi.60485/

Omri was a smart man - he saw the gaping holes this team had on its bench, the dearth of talent/effort, and he resurrected his career and will get a pay increase.

Sacramento is like the landing spot for middling talents to come to resurrect their careers, mainly because of the Kings' lack of talent for ten years.

If the Kings were Smart, they should advertise this fact to prospective middling free agents - "Hey, guys - come here because we suck at putting a team together, you may well have a huge opportunity to put up numbers and look good in exhibition/pageant games! Then you can move on after we or another team gives you a bigger paycheck."

Last edited:
The suggestion is two years at less than $3M per year and you think a bench swing forward isn't worth that? Especially a bench swing forward playing the way Omri has been playing since his knee got better? Honestly, he's been playing like an MLE player whenever he's healthy. I'd sign 2 years/$6M total the second it came across my desk and not even flinch. Giggle with glee, perhaps, but not flinch.
I think I wasn't clear enough. I'm great w/Omri @ 2yr/6M. I just meant that we can't use 4yr/12M for Outlaw as a good contract base. It was horrible when it happened and we could have bid way less. Omri is worth 3M/yr. Outlaw is not.

We shouldn't say "Outlaw got 3, so Casspi should get 6" is all I meant.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think I wasn't clear enough. I'm great w/Omri @ 2yr/6M. I just meant that we can't use 4yr/12M for Outlaw as a good contract base. It was horrible when it happened and we could have bid way less. Omri is worth 3M/yr. Outlaw is not.
Oh, yeah. We could have put in a min bid on Outlaw and gotten him - nobody else put in a bid at all. We got him for four years, right? We basically handed the Nets about $8M right there. (Or, alternatively, we could have just not taken him at all. That would have worked out OK.)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
yep, front office hijinks aside my minimalist roster change for next year roster could be:

C- Cousins, ?
PF- ?, Thompson, Evans
SF- Gay, Casspi, Williams?
SG- ?, McLemore
PG- Collison, McCallum, Miller

unrealistically minimalist (indeed all 3 pickups would have to be defensive studs to turn this), but I think with health and 3 strong/the right pickups you could make the rest work.

Directly on this question though, Omri showed well early in the year as a backup, and he's shown he can be a capable fill in now as a starter: in 19gms as a starter he's averaging 30.4min 14.3pts 4.5reb 2.2ast on .529 shooting. If you can get him back cheap,Rudy's backup becomes one position less you have to worry about.

yep, front office hijinks aside my minimalist roster change for next year roster could be:

C- Cousins, ?
PF- ?, Thompson, Evans
SF- Gay, Casspi, Williams?
SG- ?, McLemore
PG- Collison, McCallum, Miller

unrealistically minimalist (indeed all 3 pickups would have to be defensive studs to turn this), but I think with health and 3 strong/the right pickups you could make the rest work.

Directly on this question though, Omri showed well early in the year as a backup, and he's shown he can be a capable fill in now as a starter: in 19gms as a starter he's averaging 30.4min 14.3pts 4.5reb 2.2ast on .529 shooting. If you can get him back cheap,Rudy's backup becomes one position less you have to worry about.
Yep, this is nothing new. Basically everybody has created this same lineup with these question marks at some point in time. The next step is to actually think about plugging players in at your question marks. Anyone can say "plug in 3 defensive studs here and voila!" We need something tangible.

I'm only pushing you because GMing, managing the cap, and roster moves is what get's me going, and I've yet to hear ideas out of your corner. Not trying to force you to give me an answer or anything, just interested to see if you've given it some thought.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yep, this is nothing new. Basically everybody has created this same lineup with these question marks at some point in time. The next step is to actually think about plugging players in at your question marks. Anyone can say "plug in 3 defensive studs here and voila!" We need something tangible.

I'm only pushing you because GMing, managing the cap, and roster moves is what get's me going, and I've yet to hear ideas out of your corner. Not trying to force you to give me an answer or anything, just interested to see if you've given it some thought.
Not to be contrarian, but I think the use of the ? at this point in time is much more realistic than the pie-in-the-sky 'Hey, let's trade for this guy" stuff you see in almost every thread in the Personnel Moves forum.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

'Twould be blatant thread hijacking. :)

On the assumption we have in us 1 pick, 1 FA signing (MLE) and one trade (for somebody looking to dump something...)

Willie Cauley-Stein, Brandon Wright, Kevin Martin

or

Willie Cauley-Stein, Kenneth Fareid, Green/Matthews/Bellinelli/anybody who will take our money

or...

blatant thread hijacking. :) The SG/G thing is a problem however and may need more drastic action than one pickup. We need supplemental ballhandling there, and we need MUCH more shooting.

Of course given the maturity level of our front office, not to mention the maturity level of our coach who will want his guys and to make a splash, we will probably try something more disruptive however. Because in Sacramento Kingsland we don't build, we REbuild. And rebuild. And rebuild....and...

bajaden

Hall of Famer

We shouldn't say "Outlaw got 3, so Casspi should get 6" is all I meant.
With all due respect, I don't think anyone but you has even suggested it. But I understand heading things off at the pass.