With 34th pick Kings select ....

Frank Jackson from Duke. HUGE upside.
This. I can't stress enough how great of a pickup he'd be at #34, he's not a classic PG by any stretch but what he does, he does well and efficiently. He's equipped to pull it off in the NBA, he's explosive, great 1st step, he's no ball-stopper/efficient with his steps and dribbles, and in a best case scenario he's gonna be able to draw tons of fouls, his J is clean too, he's as strong of a Freshman guard as you'll ever see. He reminds me a bit of George Hill, who was a 4year player at IUPIU.

Rodions Kurucs pulling out could affect this pick a bit, especially if they're searching for a SF. Specifically it's more unlikely that Tyler Lydon falls to #34.

Just 8 days away!! It's almost showtime.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Rodions Kurucs pulling out could affect this pick a bit, especially if they're searching for a SF. Specifically it's more unlikely that Tyler Lydon falls to #34.

Just 8 days away!! It's almost showtime.
Not that I'm not excited every season for the draft, but this one is the most excited I've been for a draft since the 2010 one, and we saw how that one turned out :).

2 interesting players from European area for me :

Anzejs Pasecniks
I saw you mentioned him here. I watched his team Gran Canaria for past couple seasons a lot, and i really like this guy and his basketball progress. First thing i like about this guy is his efficiency comparing to his playing minutes , especially in ACB Spanish league. He averaged 8 points with 3 rebounds and almost 1 block per only 15,16 minutes (reduced minutes due to foul trouble), and impressive 74% fg in Eurocup. He is 7'1 (or 7'2), has great size, long wingspan and very mobile (good footwork, can run in transition) for his lenght. He improved his strenght this year, but still would need to put some weight and toughness to defend stronger NBA centers. Good midrange shooter, can even shoot a threes. He still didn't develop post skills enough, but he didn't have a lot of chances to prove himself. They don't let him create a lot in the post, but when he does, he does it solidly. The reason i wouldn't draft him is because we already have 2 young centers and we need to focus on at least one. Comparing him to Papa, he is almost same size, but more mobile, faster, quicker with better midrange shoot. On the other hand, Papa is stronger with bigger post skill potential (2 years younger). I don't think there is enough room for both of them....

Another name that came higher into draft mocks in recent days is:
Jonah Bolden - Australia (watched his almost every game this year)
He is 20 years old (96'), he was at UCLA for one year, then found playing time in Serbian team FMP (teammate with Isaiah Austin). His team made a sensation going into Serbian league Finals, and because Bolden is the leader, his "price" significantly jumped. Some are predicting him in early 2nd round. Undoubtedly potential upset. Can play at two positions (SF/PF), great size, 6'10, long wingspan, very mobile for his lenght with great vertical leap and good athleticsm. Reminds me on Labisierre a bit because of his body, but instead of midrange and fadeaway shoot, he is great 3pt shooter with good shooting mechanic. In Adriatic league (in 26 games), he shoot 42% 3pt (1.8 - 4.1), and in Serbian League (in 15 games) , 39% (1.6 - 4.1). Solid ball handling and hands for his lenght and position, can create too (but usually decides to create for 3pt), good rebounder (around 7 per game) and shoot blocker (1 per game), great dunker (had a lot of putback dunks). Good combination of athleticsm, outside shooting and basketball IQ. He has the same problem as Skal - he needs more weight to defend Power forwards and some quickness and ball handling skills to play at good NBA level as Small forward. Reminds me of Quincy Miller too with better shoot mechanic...
btw. He made a deal before this season to come for draft workouts, and he is not playing in finals now, because noone expected they will get into finals. Serbian Local medias are predicting him as Boston's 37# pick.

2 interesting players from European area for me :

Anzejs Pasecniks
I saw you mentioned him here. I watched his team Gran Canaria for past couple seasons a lot, and i really like this guy and his basketball progress. First thing i like about this guy is his efficiency comparing to his playing minutes , especially in ACB Spanish league. He averaged 8 points with 3 rebounds and almost 1 block per only 15,16 minutes (reduced minutes due to foul trouble), and impressive 74% fg in Eurocup. He is 7'1 (or 7'2), has great size, long wingspan and very mobile (good footwork, can run in transition) for his lenght. He improved his strenght this year, but still would need to put some weight and toughness to defend stronger NBA centers. Good midrange shooter, can even shoot a threes. He still didn't develop post skills enough, but he didn't have a lot of chances to prove himself. They don't let him create a lot in the post, but when he does, he does it solidly. The reason i wouldn't draft him is because we already have 2 young centers and we need to focus on at least one. Comparing him to Papa, he is almost same size, but more mobile, faster, quicker with better midrange shoot. On the other hand, Papa is stronger with bigger post skill potential (2 years younger). I don't think there is enough room for both of them....

Another name that came higher into draft mocks in recent days is:
Jonah Bolden - Australia (watched his almost every game this year)
He is 20 years old (96'), he was at UCLA for one year, then found playing time in Serbian team FMP (teammate with Isaiah Austin). His team made a sensation going into Serbian league Finals, and because Bolden is the leader, his "price" significantly jumped. Some are predicting him in early 2nd round. Undoubtedly potential upset. Can play at two positions (SF/PF), great size, 6'10, long wingspan, very mobile for his lenght with great vertical leap and good athleticsm. Reminds me on Labisierre a bit because of his body, but instead of midrange and fadeaway shoot, he is great 3pt shooter with good shooting mechanic. In Adriatic league (in 26 games), he shoot 42% 3pt (1.8 - 4.1), and in Serbian League (in 15 games) , 39% (1.6 - 4.1). Solid ball handling and hands for his lenght and position, can create too (but usually decides to create for 3pt), good rebounder (around 7 per game) and shoot blocker (1 per game), great dunker (had a lot of putback dunks). Good combination of athleticsm, outside shooting and basketball IQ. He has the same problem as Skal - he needs more weight to defend Power forwards and some quickness and ball handling skills to play at good NBA level as Small forward. Reminds me of Quincy Miller too with better shoot mechanic...
btw. He made a deal before this season to come for draft workouts, and he is not playing in finals now, because noone expected they will get into finals. Serbian Local medias are predicting him as Boston's 37# pick.
I'd co-sign either of them at #34. Pacenicks will probably already be off the board, he's got an interesting blend of skills size, timing and coordination and seems liek a player built to stick around the league for a long time. Looks like he could carve a niche as a backup C rather quickly.

Jonah Bolden is a player I've followed for many years, I first heard of him back when Dante Exum madness was going on and he was being compared to Nic Batum. It seems he's grown since then. He reminds me of Jerami Grant but more skilled/poised.

I wouldn't be suprised one bit if either of them go higher than projected now that I think about it. One thing I will say about Bolden though is I would prefer Tyler Lydon, who's a better shooter and built similarly, he'll probably be off the board.

It'll be interesting to see how Jeanne's diagnosis affects Paceniks draft position, figures to bump him up some.

I'm actually kinda hoping Ivan Rabb falls to #34... That'd be nice.. D.J. Wilson would be even better though.

Kyle Kuzma is a player I'd be happy to see selected too. He's very athletic and has great ball-skills/passing ability, if he can improve his 3pt shot he's really got a great skillset.

I just noticed DX updated their mock as I was typing this post.

Yesterday they had us taking Tatum at #5, Ntilikina at #10 and Jordan Bell at #34

This morning it's Fox at #5, Collins at #10 (Ntilikina drops to #11) and Lessort at #34 with Juwan Evans going a pick before and Jordan Bell going at #35.

I'd definitely take Bell at #34 just for his defensive versatility. Jonah Bolden, Caleb Swanigan and Frank Jackson would all be solid picks too in my opinion.

Semi Ojeleye would fit a positional need and likely be a very solid 3&D guy but I think he's now drafted in the low to mid 20's.

I'm not sure Thibs takes Markkanen. I think the way his teams ICE the pick and roll I think he'd rather have a big with quicker feet and more toughness on D. If Isaac is gone (and I think he may go as high as 4 to Phoenix) I think the Wolves take Collins. New York and Dallas won't take Markkanen so I think he'll be there at 10 along with Mitchell and either Ntilikina or Monk.

The only way I like Markkanen is if Fox is there at #5 because he provides a kick out target. But then the Kings REALLY need a SF or a backup PG much more than another big. Might change the thinking at #34. Frank Jackson? Reach for a guy like Devin Robinson that can play the 3/4?

Yesterday they had us taking Tatum at #5, Ntilikina at #10 and Jordan Bell at #34

This morning it's Fox at #5, Collins at #10 (Ntilikina drops to #11) and Lessort at #34 with Juwan Evans going a pick before and Jordan Bell going at #35.

I'd definitely take Bell at #34 just for his defensive versatility. Jonah Bolden, Caleb Swanigan and Frank Jackson would all be solid picks too in my opinion.

Semi Ojeleye would fit a positional need and likely be a very solid 3&D guy but I think he's now drafted in the low to mid 20's.

I'm not sure Thibs takes Markkanen. I think the way his teams ICE the pick and roll I think he'd rather have a big with quicker feet and more toughness on D. If Isaac is gone (and I think he may go as high as 4 to Phoenix) I think the Wolves take Collins. New York and Dallas won't take Markkanen so I think he'll be there at 10 along with Mitchell and either Ntilikina or Monk.

The only way I like Markkanen is if Fox is there at #5 because he provides a kick out target. But then the Kings REALLY need a SF or a backup PG much more than another big. Might change the thinking at #34. Frank Jackson? Reach for a guy like Devin Robinson that can play the 3/4?
I like Robinson and we worked him out, so there is that. I also wonder if Anunoby will fall more than anticipated? DX moved him down to #22 and nbadraft has him in the 30s now. Seems like is injury is not coming along well and he is going to miss his first year to a big extend.

However I dont think we absolutely need to adress the SF spot here if we don't like who is available. There are a few guys we can go after in Free Agency. Porter is a long shot, but guys like Snell or even someone like Reggie Bullock maybe can be had. And if you look at next years draft, there seem to be a lot more 3&D guys available. So far I coumt
1. Miles Bridges (Lottery)
2. Kevin Knox (Lottery)
3. Troy Brown (Late Lottery)
3. Mikal Bridges (Late first round)
4. Justin Jackson (Late first round)
5. Keita Bates-Diop (Early second round)
6. Jacob Evans (Early second round)
8. VJ King (Second round)

Maybe I missed someone but this looks much better than this year.

I think at 34 you just have to take the best player you can. The 2nd round is that much more of crap shoot than the 1st that I think you stick with the board. With the cap space they have I think they'll be able to fill holes reasonably well whether through FAs, additional draft picks, or a combo of both.

I think at 34 you just have to take the best player you can. The 2nd round is that much more of crap shoot than the 1st that I think you stick with the board. With the cap space they have I think they'll be able to fill holes reasonably well whether through FAs, additional draft picks, or a combo of both.
While I agree for the most part, the Kings already have (potentially) four shooting guards and if they draft a big with one of their first two picks (Collins, Markkanen etc) they'll have 6 bigs, 5 of which are young guys that we want to develop. Unless they have niche role or have the potential of beating out one of the guys already on the roster it would seem like a waste of a pick to draft more players at the same position.

For instance, I love Iwundu and maybe he can play the 3 but if not, he's yet another SG. Same with Donovan Mitchell or Monk if they can't play minutes at PG

While I agree for the most part, the Kings already have (potentially) four shooting guards and if they draft a big with one of their first two picks (Collins, Markkanen etc) they'll have 6 bigs, 5 of which are young guys that we want to develop. Unless they have niche role or have the potential of beating out one of the guys already on the roster it would seem like a waste of a pick to draft more players at the same position.

For instance, I love Iwundu and maybe he can play the 3 but if not, he's yet another SG. Same with Donovan Mitchell or Monk if they can't play minutes at PG
I'm probably just getting caught up on the idea of a "reach." Historically 2nd rounders are unlikely to succeed in the NBA so when I hear the idea of a reach at that point of the draft it just seems like more of a shot in the dark than the draft already is. If you "reach" at that point in the draft you have a SF, but one who most likely isn't ready for NBA minutes. In the scenarios you've mentioned I would prefer a 3 as well and the guys you mentioned in the first post are my favorites.

Edit: It's a little off topic but you've mentioned Ojeleye going in the first and I think that's where he should be as well. I think he would be a great pick-up for the Kings were they able to move up from 34 or trade for another first.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd co-sign either of them at #34. Pacenicks will probably already be off the board, he's got an interesting blend of skills size, timing and coordination and seems liek a player built to stick around the league for a long time. Looks like he could carve a niche as a backup C rather quickly.

Jonah Bolden is a player I've followed for many years, I first heard of him back when Dante Exum madness was going on and he was being compared to Nic Batum. It seems he's grown since then. He reminds me of Jerami Grant but more skilled/poised.

I wouldn't be suprised one bit if either of them go higher than projected now that I think about it. One thing I will say about Bolden though is I would prefer Tyler Lydon, who's a better shooter and built similarly, he'll probably be off the board.

It'll be interesting to see how Jeanne's diagnosis affects Paceniks draft position, figures to bump him up some.
Don't know a lot about Pacenicks, and it looks like he's going in the bottom half of the first round. I like Bolden. One of those rare players that shoots it from the three well, but not from the free throw line, which tends to give me pause. I agree on Lydon. Dude isn't getting much press, but he's going to be a solid player. He looks to be a prototypical stretch four. He can stroke it from three, and shoots over 80% from the line. He's also more athletic than he looks. He has decent length, and blocks his share of shots.

I doubt that Lydon will ever be a star, but at worse, I see him as a solid backup at the PF position.

Been having some fun digging into these projected 2nd round guys and it's making me reaaallly want to buy another pick or 2, too many kids be damned.

Jordan Bell is awesome. Once again, like with Frank Mason, people get so caught up in age/promise/potential/body that they forget to actually watch what they're seeing on the court. His wingspan and standing reach are ridiculous (basically just under Draymond Green) and it honestly takes little time watching his film before he starts making plays. He just doesn't stop moving and is always looking to go get the ball. Fantastic motor, fantastic defensive versatility, and he's a legitimately good rim protector. He's an amazing athlete and finishes with authority.

I think he really makes his bread with his ability to switch. Being able to switch is probably the most important defensive skill in the NBA now and Bell is amazing at it. Moves his feet well and has the athleticism to stick with guards. He'd easily be the 2nd best perimeter defender on the team behind Temple.

Offensively, he's little more than the 6'8 version of Tyson Chandler or DeAndre Jordan, but that's perfectly fine with me. He's a beast in transition and I think he'll eventually turn into a damn good rim runner. Too quick and good of an athlete not to and he's already got a good fundamental base for finishing the PnR. Later in the year, he started to show an inkling of a shot, but he's well-behind the 8-ball in basically every other offensive category; shooting/playmaking/post play.

This guy screams the next Draymond Green type of pick to me where he gets severely underrated for outside factors (size/age/lack of offensive skill) but crushes at the NBA level as he develops his offensive game. I think he could legitimately be a defensive impact player from day 1. You have to live with the 4 on 5 on offense for a couple years with him, but he's the kind of guy I'd trust to improve his offensive game over time.

Been having some fun digging into these projected 2nd round guys and it's making me reaaallly want to buy another pick or 2, too many kids be damned.

Jordan Bell is awesome. Once again, like with Frank Mason, people get so caught up in age/promise/potential/body that they forget to actually watch what they're seeing on the court. His wingspan and standing reach are ridiculous (basically just under Draymond Green) and it honestly takes little time watching his film before he starts making plays. He just doesn't stop moving and is always looking to go get the ball. Fantastic motor, fantastic defensive versatility, and he's a legitimately good rim protector. He's an amazing athlete and finishes with authority.

I think he really makes his bread with his ability to switch. Being able to switch is probably the most important defensive skill in the NBA now and Bell is amazing at it. Moves his feet well and has the athleticism to stick with guards. He'd easily be the 2nd best perimeter defender on the team behind Temple.

Offensively, he's little more than the 6'8 version of Tyson Chandler or DeAndre Jordan, but that's perfectly fine with me. He's a beast in transition and I think he'll eventually turn into a damn good rim runner. Too quick and good of an athlete not to and he's already got a good fundamental base for finishing the PnR. Later in the year, he started to show an inkling of a shot, but he's well-behind the 8-ball in basically every other offensive category; shooting/playmaking/post play.

This guy screams the next Draymond Green type of pick to me where he gets severely underrated for outside factors (size/age/lack of offensive skill) but crushes at the NBA level as he develops his offensive game. I think he could legitimately be a defensive impact player from day 1. You have to live with the 4 on 5 on offense for a couple years with him, but he's the kind of guy I'd trust to improve his offensive game over time.
I'm a huge fan of Bell for the reasons you listed. He just offers so much defensive versatility. But people need to remember that Draymond came out being able to pass, shoot, post up etc. I don't see Bell developing that kind of offensive versatility. But if he can develop and outside shot and be a 3&D guy? That would be huge.

I'm a huge fan of Bell for the reasons you listed. He just offers so much defensive versatility. But people need to remember that Draymond came out being able to pass, shoot, post up etc. I don't see Bell developing that kind of offensive versatility. But if he can develop and outside shot and be a 3&D guy? That would be huge.
Right, I'm not calling him Draymond, but more the fact that his gifts are being largely ignored because of his size/age and the fact he doesn't put the ball in the basket.

Right, I'm not calling him Draymond, but more the fact that his gifts are being largely ignored because of his size/age and the fact he doesn't put the ball in the basket.
I made the Draymond comparison defensively. But you guys are spot on about the other end of the court. He's nothing like Draymond there. But I think there's a higher probability that Bell somewhat develops on that end of the floor versus an offensive-minded player developing the defensive/rebounding skills Bell already possesses. I remember Dennis Rodman's early years where he was pretty much just a defender and hustle rebounder. Over time, he developed into a guy that would surprise you on the offensive end if you ignored him. I could see Bell doing the same, although he won't be the rebound monster Rodman was.

DX has Swanigan falling to mid second round. I think he should be a top 20 pick. I'd wet my pants if we nabbed him at 34. He can absolutely ball and is still young, could easily be a late lottery pick. Don't think he falls to 34 but it would be nice.

I'd be happy with any of Rabb/Bell/Motley/Hart/Bolden/Brooks/Mason/Oliver/Morris at 34 if Caleb is off the board. Definitely can get an NBA player at 34 if we are smart. Plenty of interesting Euro prospects there too.

I remember Dennis Rodman's early years where he was pretty much just a defender and hustle rebounder. Over time, he developed into a guy that would surprise you on the offensive end if you ignored him. I could see Bell doing the same, although he won't be the rebound monster Rodman was.
My memory of Dennis don't include him ever developing into a guy that would surprise on offense... Outside of putbacks and tapping offense boards to himself he was a non factor. He'd take a three every once in awhile but it was always a prayer... Such an ugly shot. The funny thing about him was he was like a 25ppg scorer in college.

Best rebounder I ever saw regardless... Him and Kevin Willis were beasts on the boards in the early 90's.

DX has Swanigan falling to mid second round. I think he should be a top 20 pick. I'd wet my pants if we nabbed him at 34. He can absolutely ball and is still young, could easily be a late lottery pick. Don't think he falls to 34 but it would be nice.

I'd be happy with any of Rabb/Bell/Motley/Hart/Bolden/Brooks/Mason/Oliver/Morris at 34 if Caleb is off the board. Definitely can get an NBA player at 34 if we are smart. Plenty of interesting Euro prospects there too.
I love the 25-38 range of this draft. So many talented players I feel like are getting ignored because of age/size/other factors. In Swanigans case, he absolutely transformed himself into an elite post player this year and worked to get his body right. He's short for a big guy, but again, like Bell and like Draymond, he has freakishly long arms with a 7'3 wingspan and 9'0 Standing Reach. If Bell is the guy who we think will make an immediate defensive impact, I think Swanigan will do the same with his rebounding and post play. Plays such a physical style of ball that not many bigs are capable of doing anymore. And one of the big improvements he made this year was just not relying on his size and strength to score, but made strides in his footwork and touch in the post. The fact he added a perimeter shot is just gravy. He's the best passing big too in the draft.

Rebounding is his best asset by far. He rebounds like Boogie where he's not jumping off the ground 40 inches to get the ball, but he carves out his space in the post, boxes you out and makes you try to out muscle him to get the board (didn't happen often). But man, just watch a couple of his games and it takes all of 5 minutes to see how much he controls the glass on both ends of the court.

He does struggle at times on the defensive end, but I think a lot of that can be fixed as he continues to get his body in better shape. He's not a good athlete at all and his ground-bound a lot of the time.

On skill/production/intangibles alone, he should be a top 15 pick, but people see the fact he's only 6'8 with little to no athleticism and they're getting scared off. I think it's a mistake; I look at how big of a leap he took this year and to me, that shows how much of a hard-worker he is. He's willing to put in the time to overcome his shortcomings, and he's already so talented in a lot of areas you want from a big man.

These days I'm in an extreme minority saying this but I still prefer Cameron Oliver over the likes of Jordan Bell and Caleb Swanigan. Oliver's got a 3pt shot, he's built like a tank, has explosive hops a 7'+ wingspan with real shotblocking instincts, I'm quite confident in saying if he was 2" taller he'd be seen as a lottery pick.

Cam recently moved to Sacramento too.

I actually really like another player from Nevada, likely to be in the UDFA pool, Marcus Marshall, I swear that kid shot the lights out every game I caught of theirs, and I caught a bunch..

Someone no mock is talking about is Ognan Jaramaz. A 6'4.5" PG, auto-eligble for the draft, he is currently turning heads at the EuroCamp in Italy. Oh and he is from Serbia! :D

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ognjen-Jaramaz-66867/

Not the best floor general but gets to the rim. Apparently worked on his shooting. Mhh.
Interesting player ! From the little footage I've seen I like the way he attacks, he's sharp and crafty. More of a 6th man than a pure PG but seems like a legit sleeper for the bottom of the 2nd rd nonetheless.

I think it will be Frank Mason if he is still on board. The Kings seem to love him. Bobby Jackson and Doug Christie were there for his workout and are raving on about him. Regardless of whether we draft a PG with the first two picks, I think if Mason is there at 34, Kings will get him unless there is a massive slider (like Skal last year)

I think it will be Frank Mason if he is still on board. The Kings seem to love him. Bobby Jackson and Doug Christie were there for his workout and are raving on about him. Regardless of whether we draft a PG with the first two picks, I think if Mason is there at 34, Kings will get him unless there is a massive slider (like Skal last year)
I think he will be taken in the end of the 1st, possibly by the Spurs.