What if the Kings finally get the number 1 pick?

What if the Kings finally get the number 1 pick?

• Pick Towns/Okafor and re-intruce the bully twin tower front cour to league

Votes: 36 80.0%
  • Pick either Towns/Okafor and get ready to ship DMC for legit starters on our weak positions

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Draft a big PG (Russell/Mudiay)

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Trade it!

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
After years of being cellar dwellers and always missing that #1 pick, what if the Basketball Gods finally smile on this franchise and give us a chance to pick #1?

What would you suggest to this our dear Front Office?

Uh-oh, I forgot to an option to trade the pick, ala Love-Wiggins move

I'm torn between Towns and Russell. Russell gives us an elite pg, but I'm not sure if you can pass on a talent like Towns. I'd call up Philly like everyone else.

However, I'm not sure that they want Towns. They need a PG big time.

Okafor and DMC wouldn't work, so there'd need to be some sort of trade involved (either Big Cuz or Okafor - whoever the FO likes better long term - wait, am I trusting the FO to make a good decision? Nevermind!).

Towns and DMC might work if Towns develops a consistent enough jumpshot.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Call Sixers, to find out, if they like Towns enough to part with Noel and their pick.
If the Kings could get Noel and a 3-5 pick to grab Russell or Mudiay all of a sudden they look like a very solid team. And they'd still have enough capspace (assuming they don't resign DWill) to go after one more significant role player. In my mind that would be a scoring wing who can hit from outside and has the ability to get hot and carry the bench scoring load.

If the Kings could get Noel and a 3-5 pick to grab Russell or Mudiay all of a sudden they look like a very solid team. And they'd still have enough capspace (assuming they don't resign DWill) to go after one more significant role player. In my mind that would be a scoring wing who can hit from outside and has the ability to get hot and carry the bench scoring load.
I agree with this take 100%. Would hope the sixers pick would be 3 or 4 though. Doubt Russle or Mudiay make it past there. Although Winslow/Hezonja (less so) would make me happy at #5 too, if the afore mentioned guards are gone.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with this take 100%. Would hope the sixers pick would be 3 or 4 though. Doubt Russle or Mudiay make it past there. Although Winslow/Hezonja (less so) would make me happy at #5 too, if the afore mentioned guards are gone.
Here are the odds for where the Kings could draft

#1 6.3%
#2 7.1%
#3 8.1%
#4 0.0%
#5 0.0 %
#6 43.9%
#7 30.5%
#8 4.0%
#9 0.1%

So there's actually better odds that the Kings pick 7th than in the top 3. And there's also a miniscule (but non-zero) chance that they pick 9th.

To me I see things this way:

If the Kings get the #1 pick you either take Towns are exact a ransom for the pick (say #3 or #4 from Philly plus Noel)
If the Kings get #2 or #3 and Okafor goes first you take Towns or trade the pick. If Towns is gone I think you trade the pick

At 6, 7 or 8 my first choice would be Cauley-Stein. If he's off the board then I'm not sure where you go. I think one of Mudiay or Russell may slip, probably Mudiay. He's not a great fit, but might be worth the gamble. Porzingis is a boom or bust, high risk/high reward pick. Hezonia is a smooth scorer but that's three straight SG picks. I think Winslow is gone by #5 so I think after WCS and Mudiay (if he slips) Stanley Johnson would be my pick unless there's a trade out there that makes a lot of sense.

Rarely do you get value for the pick in trade if it's not top 3, historically speaking.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't think that PHI would trade us Noel and their Pick for Towns basically.
I think Hinkie's sole mission is to get a transformational player. A star to build around. Noel isn't that guy and he knows it. Does he think Okafor, Russell or Towns could be that player? If so (and if the Kings are at #1 with Philly at #3 or #4) then I could see it.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
At the midpoint of the season I thought we might be able to get Noel for the #6 pick. He went into overdrive after that and started to look like a player no GM would give up on. Which is good for him, but bad for our chances of getting him. I think Hinkie can still be tempted with a top 3 pick though. It's possible that Philly wins a top 3 pick and gets LA's # 6 in the lotto. I didn't calculate the odds, but I think it's probably similar to our odds of getting in the top 3 (EDIT- okay, it's 16% for the Lakers to get #6). In that scenario, I think they'd be open to dealing Noel for another top 3 pick so they can nab Okafor/Towns and Mudiay/Russell. The entire goal of their re-build is to nab multiple elite players like OKC did with Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. Noel looks like an elite defender, but there's some question of where his offensive ceiling is. If they can get Towns to pair with Embiid in the frontcourt, they'd probably prefer to fill the gaping hole in their backcourt with an elite prospect instead of trying to develop 3 bigs simultaneously.

That's a lot of ifs though. :) Just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I think Hinkie's sole mission is to get a transformational player. A star to build around. Noel isn't that guy and he knows it. Does he think Okafor, Russell or Towns could be that player? If so (and if the Kings are at #1 with Philly at #3 or #4) then I could see it.
i'd also mention that hinkie's seat is likely to get a bit hotter in the very near future. he can play the part of unflappable-gm-with-a-plan, but when push comes to shove, with torrents of criticism landing at his feet and little to show for the last two seasons but hope that his tank-tastic strategy will pan out, could a team that lucks into the #1 pick take advantage? there may be a window if hinkie feels any amount of pressure to deliver a genuine prize to philly fans. i could see noel packaged with philly's first-rounder in exchange for #1 overall, especially with embiid's potential still waiting in the wings...

If we were to turn the #1 pick into Noel and Russell that would be straight witchcraft. Is Philly really that desperate to make a splash? Reminds me of the movie draft day...

I would be willing to trade #1 and Stauskas for Noel and Russell which I think is a little more realistic.

PG - Collison/Russell/McCallum
SG - McLemore
SF - Gay
PF - Noel/Landry/Moreland
C - Cousins/Thompson

A Cousins/Noel/Gay/McLemore/Russell lineup has some crazy long term potential.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Don't think that PHI would trade us Noel and their Pick for Towns basically.
If you can't get the additional draft pick, then you don't do the deal, because in my opinion, Towns is going to be a far better player than Noel. The only way I make that trade is if I get the additional pick. However, everything I read in the Philly papers says they have their eye on the PG position. Russell could be that transformational player.

If we get the number one spot, then unless someone comes and dazzles me with a deal I can't refuse, I go ahead and draft Towns, who does have a jumpshot, he just wasn't allowed to use it much at Kentucky. Remember, no one knew that Cousins had a jumpshot coming out of Kentucky. If you saw Towns play in highschool, you would have seen the 15 to 18 foot jumpshot.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
not to worry...history is not on the Kings side, despite what people would like to state about statistics and odds...that goes out the window when it's the Kings turn to withdraw that ping pong ball from that little glass box because we should know more than any other fan base that history does repeat itself.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I like Karl Towns' potential, I love Nerlens Noel's potential. I'd probably still make the trade straight up. I don't think this is really worth discussing too much though because the odds of us actually getting #1 are pretty slim.

Knowing the kings luxk, they'll get the 9th pick. .... this is the most unlucky basketball team I have ever seen.....

But if we do get the first pick, I would want to trade it. I have a man crush on justise winslow.....

You have to take towns with the number 1 pick. If kings stay at 6 or 7 pick WCS or if he is gone, trade the pick for noel, if possible. Although I can see some type of trade to net us ty Lawson and extra pieces.

dont care if we get the number 1 pick - you still dont trade cousins and you package the pick or draft the best player available to play next to him

You have to take towns with the number 1 pick. If kings stay at 6 or 7 pick WCS or if he is gone, trade the pick for noel, if possible. Although I can see some type of trade to net us ty Lawson and extra pieces.
Noel didn't really impress me after watching him play us this season.

Limited viewings but I don't like his body long term.

Something that improves the team now.

An elite wing defender, an elite 3pt shooter, a shot blocker, a ball handling shooting guard.

Not all of that obviously but that's what we need, easier said than done I know.
Only players that would fit that criteria are RFAs. Draymond Green and Jimmy Butler. They'd have to agree to sign with us first, and I don't think they'd want to leave their teams either.

I think there are very limited options right now because everyone seems to fit their current team. Other players that kind of fit that criteria are: Alec Burks, Khris Middleton(RFA), Ed Davis(PO), Wilson Chandler, Hassan Whiteside, and Alex Len. I don't think any of those players are worth the #1 overall pick alone. Remember, Cleveland's #1 overall pick gave them Kevin Love. That #1 overall pick was Wiggins..

I think we're going to sell our team short if we can't trade it for someone like Jimmy Butler.

Just not a lot of players that are available out there today. I don't think a trade would benefit us a lot unless there's a nice package for us.

Really, the only things to get the Kings into being a legitimate team next year are two things:

1) The SGs need to be able to shoot more reliably than they do right now. Work on it this summer, kids.
2) Size. Someone who is 6'11 or taller should be on our team.

If we got the #1, I would consider trading it, but you don't get the #1 everyday.

I would maybe call up Utah and see if we could do a deal around Favors and the #1. We'd likely get back a couple more assets and maybe be able to dump Landry in the process.