WCS shooting range (split)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mod note: This post was moved from the 2015/16 prediction thread because it can easily stand on its own and people might miss it where it was.

A good general rule to use is that if your post doesn't pertain to the thread topic, and isn't in response a post immediately preceding, it's okay to start a new thread. We mods can always merge it if we think it's necessary. :)

Well since this has it's own thread I'll expand a little. Looking at his form and the results (yes little) I think he can become a decent shooter in 2-3years. In game shots will come down to how much work he puts in as well as his confidence in the shot. His relase is slow but he probably won't be shooting unless he is open off DMC double teams or off ball movement. With his quickness an average jump shot is leathal.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If he really wants to improve on that mid range shooting he should shoot 1000 jumpers a day and that will eventually become repetition when the bright lights are on. If he can even become respectable from mid range that's just a bonus with the intangibles he brings.

Comparing to Evans' awkward jump shot WCS uses both legs for uplift and doesn't lean backwards; releases the ball from front of his head. That's about it, now I'm out of my depth.

If he really wants to improve on that mid range shooting he should shoot 1000 jumpers a day and that will eventually become repetition when the bright lights are on. If he can even become respectable from mid range that's just a bonus with the intangibles he brings.
How do we know he is not doing a 1000 or more shots a day? I mean a 1000 sounds like a lot to you or I. But if it is your job..............

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's a little early in his career for us to be too worried about his jumpshot. I don't expect him to be taking many this season, and I agree that in a couple of years, he could develop into a two way player that has to be respected with the ball. For now, he has to play to his strengths. The only time I want to see him taking that jumpshot is if he's wide open, or if the shot clock is down to it's last couple of ticks. That aside, his form is fine, but his release is a little slow, which usually means he's thinking about it a little too much. A good shooter doesn't think about his shot, it just happens. That comes from game repetition. You start making a few, and your confidence builds, and with that, your release gets a little quicker. Of course there is a balance that has to be reached and every player has to figure that out for himself.

If Willie does what he does best, then he'll have a good rookie season. It probably won't win him ROY, but then it's rare for a defensive player to win ROY. But hey, in Karl's system, who knows?

It's a little early in his career for us to be too worried about his jumpshot. I don't expect him to be taking many this season, and I agree that in a couple of years, he could develop into a two way player that has to be respected with the ball. For now, he has to play to his strengths. The only time I want to see him taking that jumpshot is if he's wide open, or if the shot clock is down to it's last couple of ticks. That aside, his form is fine, but his release is a little slow, which usually means he's thinking about it a little too much. A good shooter doesn't think about his shot, it just happens. That comes from game repetition. You start making a few, and your confidence builds, and with that, your release gets a little quicker. Of course there is a balance that has to be reached and every player has to figure that out for himself.

If Willie does what he does best, then he'll have a good rookie season. It probably won't win him ROY, but then it's rare for a defensive player to win ROY. But hey, in Karl's system, who knows?
Why not go for it all?

Cousins for MVP, Ben for most improved, Willie for ROY, Vlade for executive of the year, and Karl for coach of the year!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
How do we know he is not doing a 1000 or more shots a day? I mean a 1000 sounds like a lot to you or I. But if it is your job..............
We don't know...I'm simply stating that players usually take anywhere from 500-1000+ shots a day to improve their craft...which is what Willie is trying to accomplish. A lot of players have the same job and never develop their game so that point is moot...

How bad would WCS have to be with his jumpshot to equal JT's jumpshot production last season?

It's weird, because a couple of years ago, JT was pretty reliable on his jumpshot, then he relapsed badly and couldn't have been hitting 33% on them the past 2 years IIRC.

If JT could be the starting PF without any focus on his atrophied jumpshot the past two seasons, why is everyone focusing on rookie WCS'S so much?

Looks good. This is a part of his game that will have to be there from day 1 if they have any hopes of playing Rondo, Willie, and Cuz together consistently.

I was a little annoyed that they didn't put him in any real opportunities to shoot in summer league though. You can practice jumpers all day long but if you aren't actually spreading the floor or popping out it really doesn't do anyone any good.

I have a feeling that Rondo will have a better chance at most improved player more than Ben.
I thought about that too, but you're talking about a guy that's been in the league for years, a former champion, and for him to win that award, he would have to be like 2010-2013 Rondo (in the playoffs). Ben, on the other hand, has been a bit of a disappointment and is not on anyone's radar. If he explodes this season (I have my doubts), he would garner much more attention as a former scrub all of a sudden blooming into a real player.

How bad would WCS have to be with his jumpshot to equal JT's jumpshot production last season?

It's weird, because a couple of years ago, JT was pretty reliable on his jumpshot, then he relapsed badly and couldn't have been hitting 33% on them the past 2 years IIRC.

If JT could be the starting PF without any focus on his atrophied jumpshot the past two seasons, why is everyone focusing on rookie WCS'S so much?
Actually he wasn't that bad... made 39.4% of his catch&shoot attempts in 2013/14 and 38.2% in 2014/15.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Looks good. This is a part of his game that will have to be there from day 1 if they have any hopes of playing Rondo, Willie, and Cuz together consistently.

I was a little annoyed that they didn't put him in any real opportunities to shoot in summer league though. You can practice jumpers all day long but if you aren't actually spreading the floor or popping out it really doesn't do anyone any good.
Considering that they didn't have one legit PG playing for our summer league team, it's not surprising that WCS didn't get many opportunities. They did have Stockton, but he didn't play in the first 3 or 4 games because of a sprained ankle. No one on the team could even throw up a decent alley 0pp for Willie.

And most of those shots taken with the clock running down where he had no choice. Calapari didn't want him taking jumpers.
The numbers up there are actually JT's shooting numbers... sorry for the confusion.

I'm not sure how good a source is it, (most things I could test did match) but a site called "hoop-math" offered splits of his shot attempts by season. according to this site his % on jumpers was:
33.8% in 2013, 37.7% in 2014 and 33.3% last year (for reference KAT was 43.1%).
This numbers aren't great, but they are not that bad- and as you mentioned a lot of this shots was taken in bad situations.

I am pretty optimistic about WCS offense as a single-digits-high-efficiency type guy as I see him as a decent/good finisher (72.7% at rim last year) and a major lob threat due to his size, quickness and athleticism.

Thanks for explaining those numbers a bit more, Amit149 -
because I don't believe for a heartbeat that JT shot near 40% on jumpers the last 2 years.

That doesn't pass the sniff test, nor my eyeball test.
There's no way those numbers were accurate.

Thanks for explaining those numbers a bit more, Amit149 -
because I don't believe for a heartbeat that JT shot near 40% on jumpers the last 2 years.

That doesn't pass the sniff test, nor my eyeball test.
There's no way those numbers were accurate.
The JT numbers are 100% true, my source for them is nba.com- it doesn't get much more reliable than that... the WCS numbers came from a less proven site, but it seems to go in line with the things I could check and is in the range of what I think a lot would predict.