Vlade and Co. moves and their net result...

I will leave this to be edited because I am sure someone will correct me somewhere.

2015-16

Jul 9, 2015
  • The draft rights to Arturas Gudaitis, the draft rights to Luka Mitrovic and multiple TPEs were acquired by the Sacramento Kings from the Philadelphia Sixers in exchange for Carl Landry, Nik Stauskas, Jason Thompson, a Swap 2016 1st round picks, a Swap 2017 1st round picks and a conditional 2019 1st round pick (SAC own)
  • Ray McCallum was acquired by the San Antonio Spurs from the Sacramento Kings in exchange for a 2016 2nd round pick (SAN own) and a TPE.
These moves led to the space to make these signings:

Jul 13, 2015

Now we could have done 2 of those 3 with just stretching Landry and Thompson.

Jul 14, 2015

Jul 16, 2015

Jul 21, 2015

Jul 22, 2015

A bunch of D League guys signed and let go, nothing of note...

Jun 23, 2016 - The 2016 NBA Draft took place in New Jersey.

We basically trade Marquiss Chriss for Bogdan, Pappa Skal, Papagiannis and a future 2nd that we still have

Last edited by a moderator:
2016-2017

Jul 7, 2016

We traded Marco for pick 22 essentially, which came from the famous dump trade.

Jul 8, 2016

Jul 9, 2016

Jul 14, 2016

Aug 30, 2016

Feb 20, 2017

This trade got us pick 10 and Buddy Hield + it enabled us to Tank enough to keep our own pick which became Fox. Pick 10 became Giles and Justin Jackson.

So this is where we are now from Vlade

• We drafted WCS
  • We signed KK to a good contact
  • We signed Temple to a good contract
  • The contracts signed by Tolliver and Afflalo were creative and used to create cap space. (TBD if we do something good with it).
  • We turned Cousins into Heild, Fox, Giles and Jackson
  • We turned Marco into Richardson
  • We turned the 8th pick into Pappa, Skal, Bogan and get 7+ years of control and a future 2nd
  • We drafted Frank Mason

So IMO, since the debacle of the original salary dump trade, the Kings have made pretty much all positive moves. The one question mark remains the Pappa pick, but I don't know who they should have take there instead.

Also, FWIW I hate when hot takes guys talk about a taking a guy like Justin Jackson at 15 and claim he's probably never a starter. How many starters came from pick 15 not named Kawahi Leonard?

So we will see where this takes us, but I think we moved from a D- to at least a B+ in transactions over the past 2 years. Lots of little stuff left out, but these were the meat and potato moves.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't think we got fair value in the Philly trade relative to what other teams are getting in trades. The 2019 pick should have been top 3 protected and we shouldn't have had to include the pick swaps. The basic concept of the trade though I did agree with and I was happy with the way we spent that cap space at the time. George Karl was the fly in the ointment that sunk that season and I don't think he's a bad coach so much as he was handed a roster that could not have been worse for his preferred play style. That's an example of ownership and GM not being on the same page. I did like the moves we made in the 2016 draft -- we just missed on most of the top talent at #8 so turning one pick and a veteran player we couldn't get rid of soon enough into 4 first round picks was a genius move that already makes up for most of what we lost in the Philly trade. I wasn't thrilled about the moves we made after that for Tolliver, Temple, and Barnes but that's because I thought we were trying to compete and those guys were not going to push us into the playoffs. In retrospect, they were the right moves to make if the goal was to hedge our bets and start planning for life after Cousins.

Because of the draft we had last year and the partially guaranteed deals for Tolliver and Afflalo we now find ourselves in the first year of a rebuild with tons of cap space, no poison contracts, and a whole fleet of rookies to build around. Getting Fox this year was lucky, but moving the 10th for 15 and 20 was just a solid two for one deal that allowed us to take a flier on Harry Giles without feeling like we're risking much. I still feel like we sold extremely low on DeMarcus. A bidding war would have netted us an additional first round pick and another young player or two but it's hard to complain much now since Buddy Hield took off after the trade surpassing his win shares from the first 57 games in New Orleans in only 25 games with the Kings. This is also why I think the Pelicans are doomed unless they change coaches ASAP. And if we hadn't traded DeMarcus when we did we probably wouldn't have gotten Fox this year. For as much crap as Vlade has gotten on a national level (and from Kings fans as well, myself included), everything he's done is pretty defensible and he's put the team in a good position to build for the future. This is the point where most GMs get impatient though and screw up their own plans. We don't have to spend all that cap space now chasing a long-shot at making the playoffs next year. We also have to develop all of these rookies and make the right decisions about which guys to re-sign. It's early in the process still but the signs look good. We could really use a second consecutive summer of fiscal restraint right now while the salary cap levels out to its new equilibrium and other teams cap themselves out and start to get desperate. That's when the time will be ripe to take advantage of other teams with lopsided trades in our favor.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so what I garnered out of looking at that Vlade timeline as GM is that we've come a LONG way as a front office and every season surrounding Vlade with more competent people and less snakes in the grass.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I can't believe people are still crying about the Philly trade. Weirdest thing ever.
I'm not crying about it, it's a thread discussing all of the moves Vlade and his front office have made so far. That was the first big move and it set all of the dominoes in motion so it can't not be discussed in this context. I did say that he got enough assets back in the 2016 draft to basically negate what he lost in that trade which I think is being fair. And I also said elsewhere that I prefer De'Aaron Fox for our team instead of Markelle Fultz and that's what Philly used our trade chips (the 2019 pick and the 3rd overall pick this year via swap rights) to trade for. It was the context that created that trade anyway -- the coach was pushing for a Cousins trade and Vlade was trying to build a competitive team after the previous GMs left him with no cap space and no real assets aside from DeMarcus himself. When you're put in a position where you have to make a trade that's when you end up playing to the terms dictated by the competition. And I like the position we're in now because I think we can turn the tables and start dictating the terms to other teams in need of cap space.

I'm not sure if there is another beat writer more out of touch and more late with news on their team they write for than Jason Jones. Truly horrible
It's like it's his second job.

Actually he does this job as if his elderly grumpy neighbor is asking a favor and he really doesn't want to do it but has to because his wife is nagging him to.