Under the radar players worth a look

Recently I ran into a lot of discussions about the Kings inability to pick up guys, that don't get much burn on their teams but might be able to contribute after a change of scenery.

Guys like Solomon Hill, Reggie Bullock, Mo Harkless, Lance Stephenson or Will Barton come to mind.

I thought it might be interesting to dedicate one thread on this board to the discussion of other teams end of bench prospects and veterans, who we think might be able to help out the Kings in the future.

One guy I was fairly impressed by during the SL was Branden Dawson. I expected him to actually make the Clippers rotation, because they lack depth at the SF/PF positions. But somehow he never made it.
Basically he seems to be in a similar situation like Reggie Bullock last year. Doc Rivers seems to put way more trust in his veterans, than in some young guy not even drafted in the lottery.

He is signed throughout the 2016-2017 season, but I wouldn't be suprised when the Clippers want to get rid of him to free up roster space.

He fits the blueprint for a 6'6 to 6'7 versatile defensive player, able to guard anything from a PG/SG up to smaller PF's. From a physical standpoint he reminds me alot of the recent lottery picks Johnson and Winslow. He is agile, a very dynamic athlete and not afraid to defend or to put his body on the line. In SL he showcased the ability to drive straight and had a few impressive turnaround jumpshots from midrange and out of the post. Still only 23 he has a lot of room to grow and one season working with guys like Mbah a Moute, Paul Pierce and Wesley Johnson might help a bit with becoming a solid NBA defender.
Of course the absence of a jumpshot really hurts his value. Therefore he is far from a finished product yet, but the Kings are in desperate need of defensive minded role players, so I think a guy like Dawson wouldn't hurt as a mid term prospect.

Another guy that played himself into the spotlights once again is Andrew Nicholson. He looks like a typical stretch 4 and seems to be a RFA after this season. I personally don't like the idea of a rather slow footed, full sized stretch 4 player very much, but some of you seem to have a soft spot in their heart for Ryan Anderson, so I thought I might as well point to Nicholson as a possibly cheaper alternative.
I like his ability to hit the occasional jumphook in the post on top of his ability to shoot the ball.

So how about you? Any players out there you think deserve a bigger role and could be a steal for the Kings?

Edit:

Link to a Free Agent tracker: http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

Last edited:
you should put a list of free agents available this summer and then we can make our picks from there
Marcus Morris wasn't a Free Agent for example and really was a great trade target with the Suns desperately trying to shed salary for LMA and the Pistons got Bullock as an under the radar type of guy with the same trade. So not limiting this thread to the discussion of upcoming FA's was pretty much on purpose.
Teams are willing to get rid of certain players way below the market value all the time. So why not speculate a bit ;)

Here's my list of candidates, more known, but good potential:
Allen Crabbe 6'6 210lb SG. 24yearold sharp shooter who's been a big part of this Blazers' team. His size paired with his length makes him a good defender. He's not just a 3&D guy, he's unselfish and often tries to create for his teammates when he can. He's in for a breakout season next year. However, he's another RFA which makes it more difficult to sign him. He has potential to be a very good starting SG in the NBA.

Tyler Johnson 6'4 190lb PG/SG. He's a combo guard who can handle the ball, or play SG. He's extremely athletic with good quickness. A very good pesky defender who can hold his own against bigger SGs. He's only 23yearsold and has played amazing for the Heat. He will be a RFA, so it'll be a bit difficult to pry him away. He can be a very good 6th man off the bench, but if he improves his handling, I think he could be a potential starter.

Jon Leuer 6'10 230lbs PF. 26yearold stretch 4 who is a good rebounder. His defense is currently below-average, but he can hold his own. He'd be a good candidate as a stretch 4 to pair alongside Cousins, or maybe another big off the bench.

I'll add a bit more to this list later. For what it's worth, I think Evan Fournier has All Star potential.

Indi really screwed up by not picking up Hill's option: they cannot re-sign him for more than his option of $2.3M, and I like him the most among the mentioned bunch. He's one of most realistic FA targets.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Lance Thomas: 6'8 defender, high energy 40% 3 point shooter
PJ Tucker: Same as above minus the 3 point shooting
Gerald Henderson : elite athlete with a super mid range jumper
Jonas Jerebko: 6'11 smart, high energy stretch 4 type

Hopefully Solomon Hill drilling all these 3's in the playoffs does not inflate his $ to much

K

KingMilz

Indi really screwed up by not picking up Hill's option: they cannot re-sign him for more than his option of $2.3M, and I like him the most among the mentioned bunch. He's one of most realistic FA targets.
I actually went to a Indiana forum and asked why Hill was in the dog house earlier in the seasaon and a lot said he came into the season unmotivated and lazy and they just wanted to get rid of him.

Here's my list of candidates, more known, but good potential:
Allen Crabbe 6'6 210lb SG. 24yearold sharp shooter who's been a big part of this Blazers' team. His size paired with his length makes him a good defender. He's not just a 3&D guy, he's unselfish and often tries to create for his teammates when he can. He's in for a breakout season next year. However, he's another RFA which makes it more difficult to sign him. He has potential to be a very good starting SG in the NBA.

Tyler Johnson 6'4 190lb PG/SG. He's a combo guard who can handle the ball, or play SG. He's extremely athletic with good quickness. A very good pesky defender who can hold his own against bigger SGs. He's only 23yearsold and has played amazing for the Heat. He will be a RFA, so it'll be a bit difficult to pry him away. He can be a very good 6th man off the bench, but if he improves his handling, I think he could be a potential starter.

Jon Leuer 6'10 230lbs PF. 26yearold stretch 4 who is a good rebounder. His defense is currently below-average, but he can hold his own. He'd be a good candidate as a stretch 4 to pair alongside Cousins, or maybe another big off the bench.

I'll add a bit more to this list later. For what it's worth, I think Evan Fournier has All Star potential.
With the emergence of Josh Richardson Tyler Johnson may be available. The Heat are a smart franchise and know that versatility is key in todays league, but even the Heat can't use all of those guards and wings on their roster.
Or at least I hope they can't, because guys like Deng, Richardson or even JJ would be nive to have.

Anybody knows what's wrong with James Young? Last year he was very good in the D league, but he never cracked Stevens rotation.
6'7, Kentucky guy, known as a spot up shooter. Maybe a change of scenery might help him to get it going in the NBA.

I
I actually went to a Indiana forum and asked why Hill was in the dog house earlier in the seasaon and a lot said he came into the season unmotivated and lazy and they just wanted to get rid of him.
I've seen that claim as well. Can't say one way or the other, but it might be something to do with the fact, that they signed Monta to start over him.
When motivation doesn't seem to be a problem, Hill looks like an excellent defender at 2-3 spots (with some 1 and 4 even), that plays with intensity - very much, what Kings need at starting guard spot.

With the emergence of Josh Richardson Tyler Johnson may be available. The Heat are a smart franchise and know that versatility is key in todays league, but even the Heat can't use all of those guards and wings on their roster.
Or at least I hope they can't, because guys like Deng, Richardson or even JJ would be nive to have.
Guys like Josh Richardson are in every draft: they don't have the upside to be more, than just a glue guy, so they are passed over. Gary Payton II, Brogdon, James Webb III, Nigel Hayes, Gary Clark (needs a lot of development shooting-wise) are among older guys, who will never average 20 points a game, unless you put them on Sixers, but they will provide smart defense with steady offense.

K

KingMilz

I

I've seen that claim as well. Can't say one way or the other, but it might be something to do with the fact, that they signed Monta to start over him.
When motivation doesn't seem to be a problem, Hill looks like an excellent defender at 2-3 spots (with some 1 and 4 even), that plays with intensity - very much, what Kings need at starting guard spot.
I agree with everything except I think he's better guarding the 3/ stretch 4 despite being a good athlete really quick guards seem to get by him without to much trouble I'd say quickness troubles him much more than strength. But yeah I remember watching him during Summer League this season and he looked like complete crap not even trying and I was somewhat shocked cause he had a really solid year in the NBA I put it down to him not caring about the SL maybe it carried over a bit. But yeah I've wanted him on the Kings for a while.

Guys like Josh Richardson are in every draft: they don't have the upside to be more, than just a glue guy, so they are passed over. Gary Payton II, Brogdon, James Webb III, Nigel Hayes, Gary Clark (needs a lot of development shooting-wise) are among older guys, who will never average 20 points a game, unless you put them on Sixers, but they will provide smart defense with steady offense.
Maybe there are similar players in every draft, but there aren't similar players on the Kings roster. Josh Richardson can handle the ball a bit and makes solid decisions on the court and he plays good defense.
Can we say the same about McLemore and Anderson?

Anybody knows what's wrong with James Young? Last year he was very good in the D league, but he never cracked Stevens rotation.
6'7, Kentucky guy, known as a spot up shooter. Maybe a change of scenery might help him to get it going in the NBA.
He lacks the athleticism and quickness for a SG, so he's more of a SF. His shooting has been really inconsistent, and that's his only strength on offense. He's not good at getting to the rim. He also lacks bball IQ.

He's a non-athletic McLemore who struggles shooting.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The truth is he was terrible at Kentucky and never should have come out when he did. He simply doesn't know how to play the game and is worthless as a spot up shooter because he can't shoot ( 25.0% 3pp ). He's a good athlete which gets you zippo in the NBA if you don't know how to play the game. He has the athleticism to be a good defender, but he's not. He was a pretty good rebounder in college, but at times seemed disinterested, especially on defense.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Ingles from the Bucks seems to have potential
Markel Brown: undersized combo guard with elite athletic ability plays hard and the emergence of Sean Kilpatrick makes his expendable.
Jordan Adams (healthy permitting): I liked his game in college but injury and the fact Memphis has been trying to go all the way have limited him chances big time
Darrun Hillard: 2nd rounder this season by the Pistons could be lost in the shuffle with Morris/Stanley/Harris/KCP and Meeks returning next year dude is well built 2 guard with a decent stroke
Jeremy Lamb: not really a fan of his but would be better than Ben/Marco this season maybe, he's a bit soft for my taste but worth a mention
Tony Wrotten (health permitting): fell off the face of the earth after the 76ers let him go
Archie Goodwin: combo guard with questionable IQ, crazy athlete still young and has produced when he's got time

I didn't read this properly lol. I was assuming FAs for this year..Here's my extended list in no order:

Damien Inglis 6'8 240lb SF 20yearold with a lot of potential. He's very athletic and has potential to play at either F positions. He has good handling and passing ability. His shooting still needs work. At this point, he's a very raw prospect, but he's had 2 years to develop under the Bucks. I think he can be a great player on both ends. He already has the strength and size to guard opposing SFs.

Joffrey Lauvergne 6'11 220lb PF/C 24yearold big man who flashes potential to be a stretch 4 in the NBA. His defense will never be anything spectacular.

Glen Robinson III 6'7 22olb SG/SF 22yearold wing who's been on 3 teams already. I think he just needs a chance to breakout. If he can improve his shooting, he'll have a spot in the NBA.

Reggie Bullock 6'7 205lb SG 25yearold SG who can shoot lights out. He has really good size which gives him potential to be a good defender. He's a very good rebounder. He's another guy who I think just needs a chance so he can break out. 3&D potential is really amazing here.

Shelvin Mack 6'3 200lb PG 26yearold PG who's finally had his opportunity to breakout with Utah. He's a good shooter and playmaker. He has the quickness to stay in front of PGs. He has the strength to hold his own against SGs. I think he could be a solid starting PG, or a very good backup PG.

Wouldn't mind either of Pistons' guards. Funny thing, both were sent to D-League at some point to get them a little burn, but they looked so dominant, that Detroit decided, there was nothing to gain for either from further NBADL experience.

Allen Crabbe is my favorite.

Portland is overstocked in Gurads and he would be stuck in a 6th man role forever. Give Crabbe the chance to be a starter and good money (i.e. 3 years and 21-24 mil) and I think he may come to the Kings.

He could be our starting SG for years to come.

K

KingMilz

I actually think Jonas Jerebko should be one of our highest priorities for a number of reasons, as the starting PF (WCS would still play a ton of mins) for the upcoming season he would allow both Cousins/WCS to stay and protect the rim while Jonas himself has very good size (6'11) and can defend stretch 4's very well while not being a undersized mismatch in the post. The dude brings the scrappy toughness, spaces the floor plays with positive energy and has high IQ. The only downside to him is he is 28-30 years old but(without that much mileage) it's kind of good cause if WCS works out he will accept a bench role much easier in the next few seasons.

If we could land Jonas instead of Anderson (for much less money) and use the remaining money to get a wing like Bazemore I think that's resources well spent(we would maybe still have quiet a bit of money left over to sign another decent player).

Don't see Bazemore going anywhere. Last season Carroll got away, because he didn't fit under the cap together with Millsap, but this year Hawks have enough space.
I would definitely take Jerebko instead of Anderson at their respective expected salaries, but I'm not sure, he's good enough for a starter. Speaking of Boston's bigs, if Celtics end up using Amir Johnson's big non-guaranteed contract in a trade, I certainly wouldn't mind somehow getting into that trade and replacing KK with him on the Kings roster.
Crabbe is a shooter, who doesn't contribute in any other aspect of the game.

Looking through Pelican's board, I came across
Tim Frasier and James Ennis. Frasier played 16 games with the Pelicans with averages of 13.1 pts, 7.5 ast, 4 reb and shooting 41% from 3. Ennis played 9 games and finished with averages of 15.9 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast and shooting 48% from 3.
Given how many already pegged Curry at $5M per at least, how much are these guys are going to get? :)

Allen Crabbe is my favorite.

Portland is overstocked in Gurads and he would be stuck in a 6th man role forever. Give Crabbe the chance to be a starter and good money (i.e. 3 years and 21-24 mil) and I think he may come to the Kings.

He could be our starting SG for years to come.
I think Crabbe's next contract will be closer to double what you recommended we offer him (42-48 mil) Not sure he will get that much, but I'm willing to bet 42-48 over 3 years will be closer. He's a young, 3&D RFA who has a nice midrange game and can score a little bit with the ball in his hands. Plus, the cap is going up by 22 mil (and will go up another 16 mil the following season).

K

KingMilz

Don't see Bazemore going anywhere. Last season Carroll got away, because he didn't fit under the cap together with Millsap, but this year Hawks have enough space.
I would definitely take Jerebko instead of Anderson at their respective expected salaries, but I'm not sure, he's good enough for a starter. Speaking of Boston's bigs, if Celtics end up using Amir Johnson's big non-guaranteed contract in a trade, I certainly wouldn't mind somehow getting into that trade and replacing KK with him on the Kings roster.
Crabbe is a shooter, who doesn't contribute in any other aspect of the game.
He would be a starter like Acy was (except he's way better than Acy and play more) but he would start games to space the floor for Cuz but WCS would play more mins and allow both our bigs to protect the rim instead of chasing guys on the perimeter. Jonas started his career as a SF and has at times filled in there as well if we want to go super big at times.

Looking through Pelican's board, I came across
Given how many already pegged Curry at $5M per at least, how much are these guys are going to get? :)
It's funny that some people say Curry doesn't get a real shot because of his last name...for being compared to Steph's greatness. Now, it looks like he is about to get over-payed for his last name..

I think Crabbe's next contract will be closer to double what you recommended we offer him (42-48 mil) Not sure he will get that much, but I'm willing to bet 42-48 over 3 years will be closer. He's a young, 3&D RFA who has a nice midrange game and can score a little bit with the ball in his hands. Plus, the cap is going up by 22 mil (and will go up another 16 mil the following season).
oh man, in that case, I'd rather throw that money towards Evan Fournier. I'd give him the max right now. He has special talents. I have no clue why he's so underrated everywhere.

If someone is willing to give Crabbe that kind of money, it better not be us.

That's 14-15 mil a year for a guy averaging 10 ppg coming off the bench. NO THANKS, if that's the case.

I find it hard to believe anyone would throw more than 8-9 mil a year for him at this point in his career.

K

KingMilz

It's funny that some people say Curry doesn't get a real shot because of his last name...for being compared to Steph's greatness. Now, it looks like he is about to get over-payed for his last name..

oh man, in that case, I'd rather throw that money towards Evan Fournier. I'd give him the max right now. He has special talents. I have no clue why he's so underrated everywhere.
Whatever the Kings planned on paying Anderson should go to Evan Fournier