Training Camp Thread

Figured we needed a place to discuss the snippets of info we can get from the camp.

Here is a nice little video showing clips of the scrimmage held today.

Interesting to note is that it looks like Collison, Ben or Bellinelli, Rudy, DMC, Koufos was the first starting unit Karl threw out and Rondo was leading the gray team. Probably just so that Rondo can lead that unit, while the main unit runs through Cuz and Gay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the videos and updates!

Anybody else think Rudy has bulked up a little? Also, I'm still surprised at how tall WCS really is. That man has length.

Lol @ DMC's reaction to Aileen, too.

Two of our best offseason acquisition are bigs. Besides matchup issues, what's the benefit of a slower gay at 4?
Shooting and Gay can take most 4's off the dribble. If Gay is at the 4 it means 2 of Ben, Bellinelli, Casspi, Butler will be on the floor as well. For maximum floor spacing I envision a lineup of

Collison
Ben
Bellinelli
Gay
Cousins

The good thing is that this roster is versatile enough that we can go big or small as both Gay and Casspi can play the stretch 4 role.

I've been experimenting with lineups on 2k16 and have found this one to be the most fun and maxes us out in terms of pure talent on the floor.

Rondo
Collison
Ben/Bellineli (Ben if you want more balance, Belli if opposing SF is weaker on offense)
Gay
Cousins

My second favorite lineup(and the one I feel will work best IRL) is

Collison
Ben/Bellinelli (still not sure which I like more in the game)
Gay
WCS
Cousins

While I see the likely starting lineup on opening night

Rondo
Ben
Gay
Cousins
Koufos

BTW I play on PS4 and psn is : jcwkings

if anyone wants to play.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm really coming around to the notion of Cauley-Stein being in the starting lineup. And while I think Collison looked great with the starters last year I'm begrudgingly putting Rondo in my hypothetical starting five. And if that's the case I think you start Ben. He offers more defensive potential and effort than Bellinelli and his lack of ballhandling isn't an issue with ball dominant PG whereas Marco's ballhandling helps out Collison more.

So to me the starters should be:

Rondo
McLemore
Gay
Cousins
Cauley-Stein

Reason being I think WCS presents much fewer issues. Need to guard Draymond Green on the perimeter while not giving up easy looks inside? WCS can do that. Guarding Blake and DJ? Cuz and Trill can do that. Both Gay and Koufos present some matchup issues as starters that WCS doesn't.

But I'd also expect Cauley-Stein to play the fewest minutes of any starter other than perhaps Ben (due to Bellinelli and Karl's penchant for two PG lineups). It lets the team get a feel for how the opponent is going to play and then either bring in Koufos or slide Gay up to the four while not allowing a mismatch right off the bat. The issue of course (as it would be if Koufos starts) is whether the team has enough shooting/spacing.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Be nice if we had a true beat writer that would do daily updates of how things are going, the mood of players and coaches, the intensity.

Thanks for the link - really enjoyed reading the updates. However, was somewhat shocked by this:

"Olden Polynice will be with the team throughout camp in San Diego and even he is shocked by what he is seeing on the floor."

Its great to hear even Olden sees the upgrade in talent, but I have yet to learn why Olden in with the team - is he simply a practice player of some kind? Isn't he too old to even have an impact as a practice player?