Trade for Hibbert - make it happen! (title changed)

S

Shabazz916

Defense size n makes our front court more flexible.... Keeps cousins out of foul trouble

Hibbert is a horrible fit with Cuz. Why do people want to turn Cuz into a PF while he is the best center in the league right now?

Hibbert and Cuz are too slow to guard PFs, and at the offensive end Hibbert can't spread the floor. That's why in my opinion this would be a really bad pairing.

If we can pull that off, we can finally have that shot blocker next to Cousins that will simply unleash him as a PF. Demarcus will maul PFs to death.

Hibbert is a horrible fit with Cuz. Why do people want to turn Cuz into a PF while he is the best center in the league right now?

Hibbert and Cuz are too slow to guard PFs, and at the offensive end Hibbert can't spread the floor. That's why in my opinion this would be a really bad pairing.
Demarcus played well as a PF next to Dalembert. On the offensive side of the floor, he simply overpowers them and though he may not be as quick as some PFs out there, he's not a slow as molasses guy. Cousins has quick feet and even if he gets beat, you'll have a 7'2'' shot blocker waiting for him.

S

Shabazz916

Demarcus played well as a PF next to Dalembert. On the offensive side of the floor, he simply overpowers them and though he may not be as quick as some PFs out there, he's not a slow as molasses guy. Cousins has quick feet and even if he gets beat, you'll have a 7'2'' shot blocker waiting for him.

Thank you cousins is faster & quickee then david west much more athletic

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
thank you, because yes I was. :p

And be well worth the experiment. Cuz has a PF game on offense, and lord help the PFs trying to handle him in the post. The problem would be on the other end, but you would have a hard time convincing me that adding Roy Hibbert is going to make the defense worse, even if Cuz were playing slightly out of position on that end.

This would be the big move we have been waiting for! Makes more sense than Josh Smith as well, cause you know Hibbert is not going to demand shots or jack up the long ball lol A move like this makes so much sense from both perspectives, Indiana gets some much needed scoring and we get some much needed defense!

What would Indiana do about George Hill?

Bricklayer

This would be the big move we have been waiting for! Makes more sense than Josh Smith as well, cause you know Hibbert is not going to demand shots or jack up the long ball lol A move like this makes so much sense from both perspectives, Indiana gets some much needed scoring and we get some much needed defense!

What would Indiana do about George Hill?
Pretty clear platoon situation, with the same question as IT chafes at being behind a lesser talent. But Vogel is a strong willed coach and they have an established winning system, so mght be the sort of place where you could get IT to accept 3rd-guard hood.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Not sure I want Hibbert on this team based on his disappearing act last season and having a moment where he did not even join the huddle with his teammates as he was goofing around with Bynum. His body language is not appealing either.

It would mean Cousins sliding to PF, but if he can make that transition, then adding Hibbert next to Cousins could be an excellent option.

Collison / McLemore or Stauskas / Gay / Cousins / Hibbert

Nice line up if Cousins can make the transition. But do we want to convert one of the rising star centers into a PF? Or can we finallyfind a PF upgrade and keep Cousins at C?

Not sure I want Hibbert on this team based on his disappearing act last season and having a moment where he did not even join the huddle with his teammates as he was goofing around with Bynum. His body language is not appealing either.
Yeah i hear ya, but you just cannot let something like that get in the way of finally fixing your weaknesses as a team. Not only that but getting a good return on IT who may end up some place where you wont get anyone in return is a huge plus.

It would mean Cousins sliding to PF, but if he can make that transition, then adding Hibbert next to Cousins could be an excellent option.

Nice line up if Cousins can make the transition. But do we want to convert one of the rising star centers into a PF? Or can we finallyfind a PF upgrade and keep Cousins at C?
At this point you cant let something so trivial get in the way of acquiring what this team needs the most

At this point you cant let something so trivial get in the way of acquiring what this team needs the most
Agreed, but it does come down to how the team builds around Cousins, if it wants to at all...

If they see him as a center and not a power forward, then this deal might not work because neither guy can come off the bench. One would have to go. How many on here would take Hibbert over Cousins?

If they feel moving him to power forward improves his game or the team as a whole, then this deal can work. Cousins does have a good skill set and should be able to make the move. Plus, Hibbert's defense is a huge positive, and his offense can be a bonus too. So potentially a Cousins-Hibbert partnership could work, but it will mean changing Cousin's role.

I do agree that this team can't worry too much about one player if a deal like this is available and it upgrades the team. But it will change Cousins role, and that may or may not be something this team wants to do when they have a star center in the making.

Does it really matter? Cousins will draw the better defending big on offense and he'll take the lesser of the bigs on the defensive end. That's essentially what he's been doing with JT anyways. Only difference with Hibbert is that he's a much better defender/shot blocker than JT.

I could have sworn I read a Cousins quote a week or so ago where he said he'd like the team to pick up a shot blocking Center so he can scoot over to PF where he is more comfortable.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yeah i hear ya, but you just cannot let something like that get in the way of finally fixing your weaknesses as a team. Not only that but getting a good return on IT who may end up some place where you wont get anyone in return is a huge plus.
I see where your coming from as far as the value standpoint. However, who is to say he won't mentally check out again with Sacramento? I mean he was on a playoff team in Indiana and surrounded with veterans and he couldn't get his act right. I don't want to take a chance on a player like that where you never know if he will show up to play or not and give max effort, which Malone preaches by the way.

I could have sworn I read a Cousins quote a week or so ago where he said he'd like the team to pick up a shot blocking Center so he can scoot over to PF where he is more comfortable.
Yes, he's said that many times and here is one prime example:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/...deal-front-court-partner-for-demarcus-cousins

"I love playing with Jason Thompson, don’t get me wrong, but I believe I would play better if I had a shot-blocking big. I’m not the greatest shot blocker and I can move to the four and play my natural position."

Does it really matter? Cousins will draw the better defending big on offense and he'll take the lesser of the bigs on the defensive end. That's essentially what he's been doing with JT anyways. Only difference with Hibbert is that he's a much better defender/shot blocker than JT.
Probably not, and if Cousins is more comfortable at PF, then the team should try to acquire a big shot blocking center and Hibbert fits the bill. It probably makes more sense to do that than to keep him at center and find a PF. Perhaps that's the mistake the front office has been making? With the solution being to shift him to PF and grab a C.

I see where your coming from as far as the value standpoint. However, who is to say he won't mentally check out again with Sacramento? I mean he was on a playoff team in Indiana and surrounded with veterans and he couldn't get his act right. I don't want to take a chance on a player like that where you never know if he will show up to play or not and give max effort, which Malone preaches by the way.
Indiana didn't necessarily have many veterans per se.
Granted everyone has their own definition of being a veteran, but only David West really fit that bill. The rest were young guys with Scola and Watson being their longest tenured players.

Pretty clear platoon situation, with the same question as IT chafes at being behind a lesser talent. But Vogel is a strong willed coach and they have an established winning system, so mght be the sort of place where you could get IT to accept 3rd-guard hood.
agreed, only reason im a little skeptical about it is cause i dont think Indiana is what IT has in mind when i comes to change of scenery....but then again i dont wanna act like i know what he wants ;P

Bricklayer

Would you explain WHY Indiana would do this?
People underestimate just how big a mess Hibbert became for them last year. He was a max player, and he flat quit on them. Put up less production than JT actually. Same coach same teammates = huge risk for them. They may take it, but you gotta believe they want to change something up unless Miami just breaks up here and gives them the Least.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
People underestimate just how big a mess Hibbert became for them last year. He was a max player, and he flat quit on them. Put up less production than JT actually. Same coach same teammates = huge risk for them. They may take it, but you gotta believe they want to change something up unless Miami just breaks up here and gives them the Least.
Fair enough. BUT how do we know Hibbert would be any happier here? As much as it's a risk for Indiana, I also think it's a risk for us. And I'm not sure the FO is looking to add any more potential for disaster to the roster.