The Official sign Eric Moreland Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Moreland has been a real intriguing prospect for the Kings summer league team. He seems to have everything the Kings want in a big next to DMC. He is 6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan!

He is a rim protector and rebounder (leading the PAC-12 in blocks and rebs per 36 minutes last season). He is not offensively gifted but he will clean the boards and get offensive put backs. He will not demand the ball and will be a long, athletic shot blocker to clean up the other Kings rotations defensive lapses.

He will come to the Kings on a minimum contract to get a chance to play. The key is the Kings need to give him a NBA contract and not a D-League contract, otherwise they could loose him to any team that signs him to a NBA contract. He is a classic low risk - high reward type player.

No second round picks in this years draft? No problem, sign Moreland and he is your 2nd round gem that could develop into much more in time. He could be a poor man Larry Sanders without the salary and baggage.

Let's get it done PDA and Vivek! Let's sign Moreland to a NBA contract and make sure we keep him to develop and don't let him slip away to another team!

Here is an article about how Moreland chose the Kings as the team he wanted to play for, after being offered a SL spot by 8 other teams. Here is the Link:

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/06/former_oregon_state_beavers_fo_1.html

Moreland wants to be a King and let's let PDA and Vivek know we want him on our Kings!

Well, he needs 20 lbs of muscle, which with his pretty narrow shoulders may not be possible, but so far he looks like he might stick in the League, which is all you can ask from an undrafted senior. Absolutely worth minimum contract.

K

KingMilz

A pogo stick with pretty good understanding of where to place himself on D on a minimum contract sign me up.

Eric Moreland:

Height without Shoes - 6' 9" (Same height as Dwight Howard, Cole Aldrich, John Henson, Ed Davis, Kevin Durant, and Brandan Wright)
Height with Shoes - 6' 10.25"

Standing Reach: 9' 2"

He actually reminds me of Moore with that facial look after he makes a block. It's been a long time since we have a comic big.

Any cheap shot blocker "for experimentation" will be okay at this point!:p

Last edited:
IMHO, we should be signing both Moreland and Brooks to a deal! Moreland is the project big we hoped Hassan Whiteside would be and Brooks can provide some much needed offense off the bench for us
Whiteside was just unfortunate that he ended up with a terrible coach, maybe if his coach was Malone then he probably would've become a good defender/player, anyway if Moreland is not signed maybe PDA can sign Ed Davis I think he's still a free agent.

Whiteside was just unfortunate that he ended up with a terrible coach, maybe if his coach was Malone then he probably would've become a good defender/player, anyway if Moreland is not signed maybe PDA can sign Ed Davis I think he's still a free agent.
Oh, no!

No boring and timid BIGS like Whiteside and Aldrich now please.

We need somebody tough even on facial expression only!:D

Yeah, Whiteside ended up on a dysfunctional team without a good coaching staff but that still doesn't change the fact that he was about as lost on the court as any player I've ever seen. And regardless of physical tools that's unacceptable in a guy whose role is to be the weak side defender and shot blocker. That sort of player has to have a very solid understanding of the team defense and its principles so he can place himself in the right position to defend the basket and challenge shots. It's part of why those sort of defensive anchors are rare. You have to have the length, the timing, the lateral quickness AND the basketball smarts.

One good sign for Moreland is that even though it's summer league junk ball with rarely a sighting of organized offense or defense, he's so far been pretty good about being in the right place at the right time. I think he's absolutely worth a flyer.

And I think PDA needs to find a deal to move one or ideally two of JT, Landry, Evans or Acy.

JT is still the only big on the roster able to play Center effectively, Evans produces well relative to his salary (plus this team needs a thug or Brick will be sad :D) and Acy is on a minimum salary (NBA team must have 13 players on the roster, so somebody have to get those minimums, although if absolutely neccessary, you can get by with less: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q79). This leaves Landry, who, if returns to being a good bench scorer, Kings could use themselves, and if not, he's pretty much immovable.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Count me in! I love what this kid brings. The guy is raw but his attitude and instincts are what we need. Nice defensive moves, no fear and alot less concerned about getting his than making sure the other guy does not get any.

Yeah, Whiteside ended up on a dysfunctional team without a good coaching staff but that still doesn't change the fact that he was about as lost on the court as any player I've ever seen. And regardless of physical tools that's unacceptable in a guy whose role is to be the weak side defender and shot blocker. That sort of player has to have a very solid understanding of the team defense and its principles so he can place himself in the right position to defend the basket and challenge shots. It's part of why those sort of defensive anchors are rare. You have to have the length, the timing, the lateral quickness AND the basketball smarts.

One good sign for Moreland is that even though it's summer league junk ball with rarely a sighting of organized offense or defense, he's so far been pretty good about being in the right place at the right time. I think he's absolutely worth a flyer.

And I think PDA needs to find a deal to move one or ideally two of JT, Landry, Evans or Acy.
Well not sure about this but I think Bynum was also a player who looks like he's lost on the court but Kareem mentored him so that's why he became a beast inside the paint.

Well not sure about this but I think Bynum was also a player who looks like he's lost on the court but Kareem mentored him so that's why he became a beast inside the paint.
Well part of Bynum's slow early progress was that he entered the league straight out of high school as an 18 year old. Still he had a good feel for the game early on, even in limited minutes. The bigger issue with Bynum was that he just didn't care and/or didn't enjoy playing basketball.

Whiteside on the other hand never really came around. He bounced around the D-league before ending up in China where he dominated due to his physical gifts.

But last I heard he was cut from a team in Lebanon.

If Whiteside showed any real promise he'd have been scooped up by an NBA team by now. When he was drafted I was really excited. He and Cousins seemed like an ideal duo. And in terms of measurables Whiteside was a perfect fit. But his issues are all between the ears unfortunately.

I totally think we should sign this kid. Moreland's upside as a defender is huge, and this team sorely needs this. If the Front Office misses out on signing this kid... I will have serious questions on their direction they want this team to go in. He passes the eye test, and we wouldn't have won either of these last two summer games without his effort.

K

KingMilz

If it comes down to between him and Brooks for the last spot I think we have to take Brooks at this point. But I want both tbh I like both of them and hope but can thrive off the bench with this.

Would much rather draft and stash him the dleague than sim, which is probably what the choice will come down to.

We only have 2 roster spots available and needs still to fill. If we can do it through trades where we send bodies back, great. If not we may end up missing on these guys.

If it comes down to between him and Brooks for the last spot I think we have to take Brooks at this point. But I want both tbh I like both of them and hope but can thrive off the bench with this.
I wouldn't, mostly because of long term potential. Brooks doesn't bring what we need, but rather what we want. A scoring guard off the bench, with McCallum, and one of Nik/Ben there, scoring likely won't be needed.
Moreland, on the other hand, has the potential to fill a defensive need, even with the red flags.

Can someone enlighten me about Alex Oriakhi? I heard he was acquired by the Kings, so does it mean that he's also in the summer league team or what?

K

KingMilz

I wouldn't, mostly because of long term potential. Brooks doesn't bring what we need, but rather what we want. A scoring guard off the bench, with McCallum, and one of Nik/Ben there, scoring likely won't be needed.
Moreland, on the other hand, has the potential to fill a defensive need, even with the red flags.
McCallum and Ben tbh are not really scorers and niether imo are capable of playing the 6th man role who can handle/post up and create and Brooks imo still has potential. Brooks if there ever was a player built to be a 6th man it's him, having 4 guys (Cuz,Gay,Nik,Brooks) on the roster who can create is a good thing and you can always rotate them so there's always at least two creators on the floor.

I really think if we want a shot blocker we are going to have to trade for one getting a solid 6th man for cheap is a good deal but. I mean other than Acy I just don't see Moreland atm getting playing time over any of the bigs in JT/Landry/Reggie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree. We have other guys on this team that can score, but Moreland would bring something to Kings in shotblocking that we can't get from anyone on the roster.

Moore actually wouldn't have made a bad bench player. He was consistent in that he could give you quite a few errorless minutes out there which is what you want your bench to do. I actually liked the guy (but not as a starter).

As for Moreland, yah definitely give the kid a try. Four year college players that have his skills are rare. He's ready to contribute now. Great project big at the end of the bench which you could send to Reno or give a few minutes a game here and there with the Kings.

McCallum and Ben tbh are not really scorers and niether imo are capable of playing the 6th man role who can handle/post up and create and Brooks imo still has potential. Brooks if there ever was a player built to be a 6th man it's him, having 4 guys (Cuz,Gay,Nik,Brooks) on the roster who can create is a good thing and you can always rotate them so there's always at least two creators on the floor.

I really think if we want a shot blocker we are going to have to trade for one getting a solid 6th man for cheap is a good deal but. I mean other than Acy I just don't see Moreland atm getting playing time over any of the bigs in JT/Landry/Reggie.
McCallum can get shots; he did last year. Ben? Well, it's all hope for me right now. I'm giving him this year to show me.

I don't see anyone else doing the dirty work like Moreland on this team. Evans, sure. Acy? I'm a little worried about the offense he's been wanting to display. You're right that there's a serious logjam of players, and we do need to move Landry, IMO, and probably Acy, but likely Evans, in order to get a spot for Moreland. But I would sign him and stash him until that spot opens. He wants to fill the role we need.

K

KingMilz

McCallum can get shots; he did last year. Ben? Well, it's all hope for me right now. I'm giving him this year to show me.

I don't see anyone else doing the dirty work like Moreland on this team. Evans, sure. Acy? I'm a little worried about the offense he's been wanting to display. You're right that there's a serious logjam of players, and we do need to move Landry, IMO, and probably Acy, but likely Evans, in order to get a spot for Moreland. But I would sign him and stash him until that spot opens. He wants to fill the role we need.
I agree, but part of me still thinks that if say Brooks shines as a 6th man it make's Mclemore a lot more moveable and I still think he has ok value and there would be teams willing to take a shot at him (packaged with Derrick Williams expiring) to maybe land that shot blocker (e.g. Larry Sanders if he show some form of sanity.).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

If there's anything watching a Geoff Petrie team taught me, it's that scoring guards are pretty much dime a dozen (unless they're Quincy Douby).

Big men who have defensive potential are not as common, hence any tall guy who can block shots, rebound, and tie his own shoelaces getting a double digit million dollar contract.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Can someone enlighten me about Alex Oriakhi? I heard he was acquired by the Kings, so does it mean that he's also in the summer league team or what?
We acquired Oriakhi's draft rights in the IT sign-and-trade. That means that we have the exclusive right to sign him to an NBA deal. However, his D-League rights are owned by another team and not by Reno. That means that in order to get Oriakhi to play for our D-League team in Reno, the Bighorns have to acquire his D-League rights as well. As of yet this has not happened. (I am led to understand that this strange disconnect in rights has been fixed, but Oriakhi is still working under an older system due to when he was drafted.)

Oriakhi is potentially available to play for our Summer League team provided that he passes a physical. I saw something that said we were hoping to get him eligible for the game yesterday, but he did not play. I don't know if he was eligible.

Apparently PDA sees Oriakhi as a D-League player and not as having major NBA potential at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.