The Collected Season Previews Thread

An early one popped up today, so thought I might as well get this thread up and going. If you see others pop up in the upcoming weeks, post them in here.

So, first one (done before the Lawson announcement as one of their comments indicates -- they also think we still have Caron):

http://hoopshype.com/2016/08/27/nba-season-preview-sacramento-kings/
How can these sites do previews when they don't even do their homework? Sheesh! They obviously get a pass on Lawson but the Caron thing is nuts.

That review seems to follow the pattern. Very little credit was given to the Kings FA signings. No props to Vlade for trading Marco for a 1st round pick. No atta boys for turning one pick into two and Bogdanovic. No mention of Lawson. Its like he drew the short straw and had to write a story about the Kings:confused:

K

KingMilz

That review seems to follow the pattern. Very little credit was given to the Kings FA signings. No props to Vlade for trading Marco for a 1st round pick. No atta boys for turning one pick into two and Bogdanovic. No mention of Lawson. Its like he drew the short straw and had to write a story about the Kings:confused:
Most of them are on the downward spiral in there career and none have been difference makers and mainly average bench players in recent times so why would anyone give credit to AA/Temple/Tolliver/Barnes signings? I also don't buy the whole changing the culture thing because if the Kings really wanted to change the culture than they would have traded everyone aside from WCS/KK/Casspi from the roster prior to the signings. Don't get me wrong I like the fact we got guys who are actually going to compete in Barnes/Temple but the signing were pretty craphouse imo.

Deep bench players don't change the culture we have had a ton of good guys as deep bench players who were class acts to the point where you couldn't get better guys in Reggie Evans/Acy/Hayes/Garcia/Miller/Patterson/Cole Alrdich

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of them are on the downward spiral in there career and none have been difference makers and mainly average bench players in recent times so why would anyone give credit to AA/Temple/Tolliver/Barnes signings? I also don't buy the whole changing the culture thing because if the Kings really wanted to change the culture than they would have traded everyone aside from WCS/KK/Casspi from the roster prior to the signings. Don't get me wrong I like the fact we got guys who are actually going to compete in Barnes/Temple but the signing were pretty poopoohouse imo.

Deep bench players don't change the culture we have had a ton of good guys as deep bench players who were class acts to the point where you couldn't get better guys in Reggie Evans/Acy/Hayes/Garcia/Miller/Patterson/Cole Alrdich
Temple and Tolliver were voted teammates of the year. I'm not buying what you are selling about who can change the culture. But the new Coaching staff WILL change the culture. AA, Temple and Barnes all played significant starting minutes last season so your characterization of them as "deep bench" players is false.

Boogie Cousins just left Rio with a Gold medal and that should move the needle on culture change also.

While it is true the Kings did not overpay to get difference makers like Allen Crabbe and Tyler Johnson. Nor did they land the blue chip FA's like Durant, Conley or even Lee. They did get some guys who can contribute. Unless they come down with what players like Patterson and Belinelli got when they were Kings and can no longer shoot the ball. Same thing happened to Stauskas.......clang, clang........clang.

Anyhow I still think the article was a writer going through the motions. Heck there is better analysis in the posts like yours in this thread:)

K

KingMilz

Temple and Tolliver were voted teammates of the year. I'm not buying what you are selling about who can change the culture. But the new Coaching staff WILL change the culture. AA, Temple and Barnes all played significant starting minutes last season so your characterization of them as "deep bench" players is false.

Boogie Cousins just left Rio with a Gold medal and that should move the needle on culture change also.

While it is true the Kings did not overpay to get difference makers like Allen Crabbe and Tyler Johnson. Nor did they land the blue chip FA's like Durant, Conley or even Lee. They did get some guys who can contribute. Unless they come down with what players like Patterson and Belinelli got when they were Kings and can no longer shoot the ball. Same thing happened to Stauskas.......clang, clang........clang.

Anyhow I still think the article was a writer going through the motions. Heck there is better analysis in the posts like yours in this thread:)
I said average bench players not deep bench players (Tolliver is a deep bench player), Barnes only got starting minutes due to injury they tried playing small ball with him @ the 4 but went back to Z-Bo/Marc cause it was way better than Marc went down and Barnes got starting minutes, AA got benched as well and was super average as a bench player for Portland the season before. Temple is the same he's played well when Beal went down but if the Wizards (who in general were ravaged by injury) had Neal/Beal healthy all year I doubt he would have got many minutes. I am glad we got Barnes/Temple but they are at his point solid to average bench players.

The only way these signings work is if Ty Lawson turns the clock back to 2012/13 and Cousins goes on the 9-6 Malone run for the majority of a season (would love both but not expecting either).

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way these signings work is if Ty Lawson turns the clock back to 2012/13 and Cousins goes on the 9-6 Malone run for the majority of a season (would love both but not expecting either).
I think that depends on how you define "work." I think the signings could help the Kings forge an identity as a gritty, defensive team, that opposing squads don't look forward to playing, but that ultimately wins just shy of 40 games. I think those two things you mention need to happen if the team is to achieve beyond that and be squarely in the playoff conversation.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Since when is Tyler Johnson a difference maker? o_O

I said average bench players not deep bench players (Tolliver is a deep bench player), Barnes only got starting minutes due to injury they tried playing small ball with him @ the 4 but went back to Z-Bo/Marc cause it was way better than Marc went down and Barnes got starting minutes, AA got benched as well and was super average as a bench player for Portland the season before. Temple is the same he's played well when Beal went down but if the Wizards (who in general were ravaged by injury) had Neal/Beal healthy all year I doubt he would have got many minutes. I am glad we got Barnes/Temple but they are at his point solid to average bench players.

I agree with you that Lawson is the X factor. Even if Collison didnt miss time we would still need him to be our first scoring option with the bench unit and have him create for others. But hey, at least he was able to do that at one time so maybe he can get back to at least 75% of that level.

Ball Don't Lie's Dan Devine's preview shows that Kelly Dwyer predicts the Kings to have 35 wins.

It is a weird preview because Dan does not make a wins/losses prediction but he, personally, does a best/worse case. His best case is the 8th seed in the West but his worst case is a Boogie trade and a team meltdown.

This is a fresh article because it includes the Darren 8-game suspension.