The 09/10 Kings strike again

Does anyone else get a MAJOR 09/10 feeling from this team? A "promising" start to the season, hanging around the .500 mark in December (actually finished at 14 and 17 at the end of December after a bunch of tough games) and then....the floor collapsed. We ended up winning only 11 more games all season after December. Injuries happened, the locker room started to fall apart.... but hey, at least we had a ROY award (*cough* All-Star award coming soon *cough*) and a "promising" future that the dysfunctional ownership tried to sell on us. Hmmm this all sounds very familiar...

No this is worse than that season. We were supposed to be winning this season. We aren't anymore. That season we were still supposed to be pretty terrible. Although the collapse was pretty ridiculous after December. I expect something similar to happen here.

This is much worse. We had the right coach to get the most out of this team and just gave that up and waived the white flag for reasons I can't figure out.

This is self inflicted and, ug, just brutal what they've done.

The only way to save this is to bring in George Karl and quick. That would be the smart thing to do. Which is why I have little to no faith it will happen.

The only saving grace is we have Boogie. So I doubt it will fall apart quite that badly. But I really wouldn't be that surprised either.

Last edited:
We have more talent and cohesion than that team. Sadly, we might have a worse coach and a more disfunctional front office.

Things won't go that bad ... But this cluster will chase off some casual fans that were starting to notice the team again and throw cold water on most of the "Viveck rocks" buzz that remained.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I posted Ina few other threads about this dynamic. Malone got fired for seemingly some stupid reason and the opinions that really matter in all of this are the players opinions. They all were on board with him. There was real hope among the players. If it doesn't make sense to the players AND they keep losing, the sky really is falling.

Personally, I'd fire Corbin and the staff right this instant, not because of anything they did, but you usually want to separate the previous regime from the next regime and in this case, they all were part of Malone's staff. The only way to fix this is to hire another coach pronto. Otherwise, all this crap hanging around the players is really going to test their mental resolve and these are some dudes. Deep ties to Malone I'm afraid.
Collison goes way back with Malone and is arguably playing his best ball.
JT playing best ball in Sac and they are winning for his first taste of success...talk about frustration
Cuz loved him, playing best ball
Gay resurrected his career
Ben
Landry has deep, deep ties to Malone

It would be epic and Vivek would be a stud if he said, mulligan, I'm bringing back Malone and dumping PDA and then removing my good friend Mullin from the consulting position. But only in movies would this happen.

Funnily enough, I actually enjoyed watching the 2009-10 season for the Feed-Tyreke-Evans-Only-show. That was probably the most enjoyable season to watch since we've been out of playoffs. Plus we sucked bad enough to get Cousins who was the guy I wanted outside of John Wall.

Yeah, I agree, that season was perhaps the most watchable we had had in 4 years and it hasn't really gotten better except for a week or two at a time until things started to come together under Malone.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No, I think Cousins is going to rescue us this year. Its the difference. The front office ripped away this team's chance at greatness, tried to rip out its heart in grotesque fashion, but I think we may have enough internal leadership/talent to win games here on out almost in a Major League us vs. everybody fashion. There won't be an 11 win collapse or anything. Just neither will there be a great rise.

Funnily enough, I actually enjoyed watching the 2009-10 season for the Feed-Tyreke-Evans-Only-show. That was probably the most enjoyable season to watch since we've been out of playoffs. Plus we sucked bad enough to get Cousins who was the guy I wanted outside of John Wall.
true. i was very entertained that season. Tyreke was a blast to watch

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Don't see the 09/10 comparison...however, we are regressing back to playing defense as they were great at doing during the Theus, Natt, Westphal & Smart era. Demoralizing basketball at its finest, especially considering we have a once in a generation type of superstar and we have yet to even sniff at an opportunity for a playoff berth but he will need to put up 25+ every night for the Kings to even have a shot of winning, there may be only two teams in the league right now where you can be confident the Kings could beat but even that would not be a given so I guess that's why they play.