TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

Taking it down a notch with this cover. Tori Amos simplified the passion from Cobain's vocals here, with her sultry swag and seductive piano bench straddling. Hey, I can actually hear what she's saying here, too! Nice tune, and one of my favorite takes on a popular song. With my 5th choice I select:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos - Crucify (1992)

Original: Nevermind - Nirvana (1991)

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smells_Like_Teen_Spirit

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
back at me it seems,

with my final selection before my vacation I take..

I put a spell on you - Creedence Clearwater Revival

"I Put a Spell on You"
Single by Creedence Clearwater Revival
from the album Creedence Clearwater Revival
Released 1968
Genre Psychedelic rock, blues rock, roots rock, acid rock
Length 4:25
Label Fantasy
Writer(s) Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Producer(s) Saul Zaentz

Original

I put a spell on you - Screamin' Jay Hawkins

"I Put a Spell on You"
Single by Screamin' Jay Hawkins
from the album At Home with Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Released 1956
Format 7" 45 RPM
Genre Rhythm and blues,[1] blues, shock rock
Length 2:25
Label OKeh (1957)
Writer(s) Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Producer(s) Arnold Matson

Hawkins had originally intended to record "I Put a Spell on You" as a refined love song, a blues ballad. He reported, however, that the producer "brought in ribs and chicken and got everybody drunk, and we came out with this weird version... I don't even remember making the record. Before, I was just a normal blues singer. I was just Jay Hawkins. It all sort of just fell in place. I found out I could do more destroying a song and screaming it to death."

Yeah, didn't think that would make it back to me.
With a little help from my friends lasted way too long. I had other choices more personally relevant, but just couldn't leave this one sitting there any longer. Each pick I've taken I've been thinking I really should take the most famous cover song of probably the most famous band ever. Certainly on a short list. There's another one I wanted to take that is extremely well known but went with a little van halen doing another iconic song (at least in the hard rock world). I'll take it next if it survives. Both should have gone in the first round in my opinion.

Edit: while typing this up, there's goes Proud Mary. Again, that was out there way way too long.

Thanks brick for posting another version. The Woodstock version is not the best, but certainly worth seeing once in your life.

PS - It's "You Really Got Me" not "You've Really Got Me Now".

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I need some fun on my island, and this song pretty much fits the bill.

Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - They Might Be Giants (1990, on the album "Flood")

Original written by Jimmy Kennedy and Nat Simon, and recorded by The Four Lads (1953).

I don't have a lot to say about this song - it's not life-changing or profound or even uproariously funny. I took it because it's just plain fun.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this song is on anyones list, but I'm not really willing to take the chance. There's a theme to my list so far which really wasn't intentional. Just listening to them brings me right back to my childhood, the nostalgic value is overwhelming. I'm re-discovering some fantastic songs, something I hadn't really anticipated.

There She Goes - Sixpence None The Richer (1999)
Originally by The La's (1990)

There's something about this song that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. They didn't really change much about the song, but it just works - the song may as well have been written by them. And the video is just fantastically 90s. The original of this song is great, but I actually have no problem in admitting that I prefer the cover version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok, let's keep this thing rolling. After all, Entity's next, so we'll probably be waiting 48 hours for this to start up again...

I'm not sure if this song is on anyones list, but I'm not really willing to take the chance. There's a theme to my list so far which really wasn't intentional. Just listening to them brings me right back to my childhood, the nostalgic value is overwhelming. I'm re-discovering some fantastic songs, something I hadn't really anticipated.

There She Goes - Sixpence None The Richer (1999)
Originally by The La's (1990)

There's something about this song that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. They didn't really change much about the song, but it just works - the song may as well have been written by them. And the video is just fantastically 90s. The original of this song is great, but I actually have no problem in admitting that I prefer the cover version.
I had forgotten that was a cover. Always liked that song for some reason.

Probably played half a dozen times on the radio on my trip up to Albany from Philly for the bar.

There She Goes, hmmm. It's nice in that nostalgic way, but for the rest of my life?

That would get grating very quickly. :)

But you know what, I'll take some songs later people may feel the same way about (though they'll be wrong). Isn't music great?

I had forgotten that was a cover. Always liked that song for some reason.

Probably played half a dozen times on the radio on my trip up to Albany from Philly for the bar.
"Always liked" something that reminds you of the bar exam?? :eek:

Then again, maybe you could turn "There She Goes" into some sort of mnemonic for the Domestic Relations essay.

Of course, all non-California bar exams are for weenies ;)

This is getting old. He posted last night in the New Rondo to Kings Rumor topic and was just online now. Not sure where the disconnect is.

Can we find another drafter?

This is getting old. He posted last night in the New Rondo to Kings Rumor topic and was just online now. Not sure where the disconnect is.

Can we find another drafter?
Yes please. I sent him two seperate messages asking him to make his pick, he ignored them. And not once has he notified me when it was my turn. He's been online multiple times since he's been on the clock. Seems intentional tbh.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dufresne? Get your *** out here,

Boy! You're holding up the show!

Don't make me come down there now!
I'll thump your skull for you!

Dufresne, dammit, you're putting me
behind! You better be sick or dead
in there, I **** you not!

Entity

Hall of Famer
it got message 23 min ago. ppl saying they have messaged me 2 or 3 times have not. literaly 23 min ago. I got a screen shot if proof is needed

it got message 23 min ago. ppl saying they have messaged me 2 or 3 times have not. literaly 23 min ago. I got a screen shot if proof is needed
It must be a problem with KF then because I've sent you two messages since you were on the clock and I also can take screenshots (although this is just petty, it's not that big a deal). Also, like I've asked you multiple times, can you please PM me when my pick comes around again, as you haven't bothered to do that yet and it's not fair to hold the draft up for everyone else. Thanks.

No bickering guys.

PMs are also a courtesy, and sometimes they may be forgotten. To avoid confusion/calamity please check this draft if you're on the board, at least one time per day would be great. If you see you're coming close/due, plan ahead, as a coutesy to your fellow drafters. In previous drafts, and even in this one I have recieved PMs from people if they will be out to make the pick when it comes due.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If this sort of thing proves a problem, especially with the new "conversation" system a solution might be for everybody just to add the next TWO people after them in the draft order to their conversation. So not only would the person right after you get a heads up, but the person after them would get a heads up that they soon will be getting a heads up.

You can add people to already existing conversations via an "Invite More" link over on the right side of the conversation under the list of conversation participants.

I thought this pick could wait, but with "There She Goes" going, I needed to act quick: I select:

Saturday Night - Ned's Atomic Dustbin (Originally by the Bay City Rollers)

Love Ned's. Love this song... match made in 90's heaven.

Bonnie Raitt -- Pride and Joy (1995)

Here's some guitar wonderfulness from Bonnie Raitt. This is from A Tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughan, which occurred on 5/11/1995 on the Austin City Limits stage and was released as an album. It features Bonnie playing with members of SRV's backup band Double Trouble on one of SRV's signature songs. Bonnie shows that she's one of the very best on slide guitar.

My favorite version of SRV doing this song comes from 1983 when he was a guest on blues legend Albert King's Canadian TV show. It looks like they had a lot of fun that day.

I was never into New Wave, although I grew up during that era and my brother was heavily into it, but i've always liked the songs that were covered from that era. So for my next pick I select:

Bizarre Love Triangle - Frente!

And original version:

Album:
Labour Of Love (EP)
Released: 1994
Original Artist: New Order
Original Released Date: 1986