TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will select:

Love is All Around (from MTV Unplugged)- R.E.M. (originally by the Troggs)

As a kid, it took me a long time to find the Radio Song maxi-single that had this song as a b-side, but it is one of my all-time favorite R.E.M. songs.

Great band covers great song... hard to miss. Also, I think I like the songs Mike Mills sings over Michael Stipe (like this one), but that is just me...

A few months ago they released both Unplugged performances (the one this is from and the one in the early 2000's) as a combo album. The second Unplugged was good but I loved the one from 1991. The version of Disturbance at the Heron House is probably my favorite from the set though I always wished they did Driver 8.

And I dig the Mike Mills songs too. "Near Wild Heaven" was a favorite off of "Out of Time".

A few months ago they released both Unplugged performances (the one this is from and the one in the early 2000's) as a combo album. The second Unplugged was good but I loved the one from 1991. The version of Disturbance at the Heron House is probably my favorite from the set though I always wished they did Driver 8.

And I dig the Mike Mills songs too. "Near Wild Heaven" was a favorite off of "Out of Time".
I was unaware... driver 8 is a classic, but my favorite from the IRS era has to be "Rockville (Don't Go Back)". "Near Wild Heaven" is one of my two favorites off of Out of Time as well, that and "Half a World Away"...

Psychotic Reaction -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1991)

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (with Stan Lynch on the lead vocal) have fun with this trashy garage rock classic.

Originally released by the Count Five (from San Jose) in 1966. They liked to perform in Dracula capes.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Psychotic Reaction -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1991)

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (with Stan Lynch on the lead vocal) have fun with this trashy garage rock classic.

Originally released by the Count Five (from San Jose) in 1966. They liked to perform in Dracula capes.

It's been a while since I've heard that one. I rarely dig through my CDs anymore but I've got the six disc Tom Petty compilation "Playback" which is out of production now I think. The first three discs are the hits and the last three are rarities, B-sides, more obscure live cuts etc. There's a few good covers to choose from.

The Cramps - Can't Hardly Stand It [1980]

Original version: Charlie Feathers [1956]

I spent almost an hour trying to decide which one of the endless Cramps rock'n'roll covers I should have picked. Truth is, I just went at random. Lux Interior was just born to do this thing.

CFCF - "Big Love" (Fleetwood Mac cover) [2009]:

CFCF's re-imagination of Fleetwood Mac's of "Big Love" exists somewhere around the intersection of a cover and a remix. it's a delightfully buoyant tribute to the Mac, and wisely mutes some of the melodrama in favor of a propulsive, dancefloor-ready groove...

Fleetwood Mac - "Big Love" (1987):

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keeping it simple this go round. Here's one of my all time favorite songs being expertly covered by SF veteran Sean Hayes. What makes this song great is Hayes' laid back vocal and the killer band, especially his lead guitar player who just kills it the whole song. And most importantly, Hayes knows what the song is all about. Tons of covers over the years but most make the cardinal mistake of thinking this is a song about being road weary and wanting to be home. In actuality it's as straight ahead and jubilent a love song as David Byrne ever wrote. For all those reasons I think this might be my favorite song of this entire draft.

Sean Hayes
"This Must Be the Place"
Recorded live in Oakland in 2010

The original

Talking Heads
"This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" from 1993's "Speaking in Tongues"

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This will actually be the third cover by John Mayer in this draft and my second cover of a Radiohead song. Interesting on both counts.

Radiohead's Kid A was both a growing pains record and a purposeful shift in direction following the acclaim of OK Computer. Moody and atmospheric with elements of IDM and krautrock it was a very different album. The title track in particular sounds nothing like the band that made Pablo Honey, The Bends or even OK Computer. No recognizable guitar tones, lots of blips and beeps and Thom Yorke's warm, clear falsetto warped into a cold, nearly unintellible filtered vocoder-twisted vocal.

And yet John Mayer made a version with just an acoustic guitar, a straightahead vocal, a bit of reverb and the faintest electronic flourishes that made such as distant, inward looking track into something intimate and lovely. Whatever else may be said about Mayer, he's got big ears and a fantastic musical mind. Oh and while not showcased here, he's an undeniably good guitar player.

John Mayer
"Kid A" from the 2003 single "Bigger than My Body"

The original
Radiohead
"Kid A" from 2000's album of the same name

not much time for reflection on this pick. have a good weekend, everyone!!

Iron & Wine - "Love Vigilantes" (New Order cover) [2009]:

New Order - "Love Vigilantes" (1985):

I was so torn on taking this song since the original is so good. This cover may not be as good as the original but it's the best cover out there, IMO. And this is one of my favorite songs of all time.

For my 16th pick:

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - Joe Cocker

The original:

Album: Two Rooms: Celebrating The Songs Of Elton John And Bernie Taupin
Released Date: 1991
Original Artist: Elton John
Original Released Date: 1976

This is one of those things I found while searching for songs. I think it's fun.

Move ***** - Dan Henig - 2013

Move ***** - Ludacris 2002

This song didn't even cross my mind even though we always listen to it during "pre-drinks" (no idea if that's a thing in the US). You get bonus points from me. His cover of Get Low is even better.

Young Man Blues -- The Who (1970)

This is a cover of a song by jazz musician Mose Allison (referred to as a "jazz sage" in Pete Townshend's introduction on Live at Leeds). I'm not sure how they found this song -- Mose Allison wasn't that well known -- but it worked well for the Who. The theme of youthful frustration and anger was one the Who would later explore in greater detail in Quadrophenia.

Here's the original by the Mose Allison trio from 1958. Comparing the two versions, you can hear that they follow the same basic structure -- sing a line, play some music, sing a line, play some music. The Who explode into their musical passages, led by Keith Moon's drums.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Go bold or go home, right? For my 16th pick in the Covers Draft, I will go bold and take a different cover of the song that underlies the #1 pick in the draft.

All Along The Watchtower by XTC (1978, on White Music)

Originally written and recorded by Bob Dylan, 1967

This cover is one of my all time favorites for many reasons. The main attraction for me is the fact that in writing the cover, XTC took complete ownership of the song. This isn't Bob Dylan's AATW (or Jimi's, for that matter), but rather a mixture of dissonant keyboards, a screaming harmonica, and a completely frenetic Andy Partridge stuttering his way through a complete reimagination of a classic. Gone is the familiar three chord riff, replaced by altogether alien bass line that jumps around almost aimlessly, but never threatens to sound anything at all like Bob Dylan. When you first hear it, it can be a bit jarring, but it certainly grew on me very quickly. And here's XTC, who not only had the stones to cover All Along The Watchtower on their first album, not only to take that cover completely out to left field, but to then say, "Yep, we nailed it" and never put another cover on any of their subsequent 13 studio albums. This is probably a love-it-or-hate-it pick (and probably plenty of the latter), but it certainly belongs on my island.

Go bold or go home, right? For my 16th pick in the Covers Draft, I will go bold and take a different cover of the song that underlies the #1 pick in the draft.

All Along The Watchtower by XTC (1978, on White Music)

Originally written and recorded by Bob Dylan, 1967

This cover is one of my all time favorites for many reasons. The main attraction for me is the fact that in writing the cover, XTC took complete ownership of the song. This isn't Bob Dylan's AATW (or Jimi's, for that matter), but rather a mixture of dissonant keyboards, a screaming harmonica, and a completely frenetic Andy Partridge stuttering his way through a complete reimagination of a classic. Gone is the familiar three chord riff, replaced by altogether alien bass line that jumps around almost aimlessly, but never threatens to sound anything at all like Bob Dylan. When you first hear it, it can be a bit jarring, but it certainly grew on me very quickly. And here's XTC, who not only had the stones to cover All Along The Watchtower on their first album, not only to take that cover completely out to left field, but to then say, "Yep, we nailed it" and never put another cover on any of their subsequent 13 studio albums. This is probably a love-it-or-hate-it pick (and probably plenty of the latter), but it certainly belongs on my island.
Cool pick, but I believe "All Along the Watchtower" was already taken.

I love what Jack and Meg White did with this cover. Adding in melancholy grunge to go with the emotional undertones of loss and passive/aggressive grieving. The White Stripes blend punk with soul, blues, and traditional folk tunes quite well, and this offering is no exception.

With my 16th selection, I choose:

I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself - The White Stripes (2003) Elephant

Original: I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself - Tommy Hunt & Burt Bacharach (1964)

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Just_Don't_Know_What_to_Do_with_Myself