Skal Labissiere

If Skal taps into his potential sooner than everyone thought (this year), we'll probably be looking to trade WCS...not Cousins. Skal isn't the perfect fit next to Cousins because he's ball dominant too.

If Skal flourishes this season, it definitely makes Willie expendable. However, if BOTH players make leaps and bounds this year, then I think we keep all 3 bigs. What's wrong with having 3 talented bigs? I think that's unlikely though. You're asking for a raw 20/21yearold PF/C to perform at a high level in professional basketball when he struggled in collegiate ball. Then, you're asking a non-offensive C to develop an offensive skillset within 1 year. Just doesn't seem plausible, but would be amazing if that happened.
Long-term, I love the outlook of a Cousins/WCS/Skal front-court. WCS and Skal together is especially intriguing on the defensive end.

Again, the big problem we keep running into is we just don't have the time to wait and see if these guys pan out. We're on a 1 year clock to show enough improvement for Cousins to resign.

Why would you move cousins when skal is the exact protorype we want next to cousins. Weakside shot blocker, facw up game, spot up jumper, great length. Lack of rebounding doesnt bothet me because wr have a top 5 rebounder in the game. Its nevet going to be an area we struggle in as a team.
I would move Cousins in the right scenario because he would fetch the best return. Their arent many players that we couldnt get in exchange for Cousins. Im also betting the house on Skal and am the only one doing so. This is of course only in a more desperate scenario, one that we arent currently in.

Long-term, I love the outlook of a Cousins/WCS/Skal front-court. WCS and Skal together is especially intriguing on the defensive end.

Again, the big problem we keep running into is we just don't have the time to wait and see if these guys pan out. We're on a 1 year clock to show enough improvement for Cousins to resign.
I feel like Willie's career can go in multiple paths.... Tyson Chandler or Chris Andersen. Currently, he plays a lot more like Andersen. I think Willie needs to train with Whiteside. While he's a good defender, he still has ways to go. Willie will always be athletic enough on switches, so I don't think that will ever be a problem. Talking realistically, Willie can only really guard PFs and Cs. He's quick enough to keep up with smaller players, but he can't guard them full time. I think this is why he needs to expand his game as a rim protector and shot blocker. Working on guarding the perimeter would be pointless as he's more of a C than PF anyways. Whiteside would be a good mentor.
WCS is a great fit defensively next to Cousins. He just needs to work on his strength.

With Skal...I don't think he's ready for the NBA yet. I liked what he showed in SL, but I think that's just what it is...SL.

This is why I wasn't so sure about all of our draft picks at the time. Drafting guys who are so far away from contributing when we don't have much time left with Cousins.

Whiteside as a trainer and a mentor? You must have some inside knowledge about their relationship to suggest such a thing. I can't imagine many reasons besides they really have a spectacular personal connection that would lead someone to believe Whiteside would be a good mentor.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Whiteside as a trainer and a mentor? You must have some inside knowledge about their relationship to suggest such a thing. I can't imagine many reasons besides they really have a spectacular personal connection that would lead someone to believe Whiteside would be a good mentor.
I happen to know Hassan personally a little bit due to some e-mail exchanges we've had over the past few years. He was a troubled young man when the Kings drafted him, and had to deal with some personal demons. He's come a long way since he finally got in touch with reality, but I don't know that I would recommend him as a mentor. I think Hassan has enough on his plate keeping his own career in perspective. He might disagree with me, but I doubt it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I feel like Willie's career can go in multiple paths.... Tyson Chandler or Chris Andersen. Currently, he plays a lot more like Andersen. I think Willie needs to train with Whiteside. While he's a good defender, he still has ways to go. Willie will always be athletic enough on switches, so I don't think that will ever be a problem. Talking realistically, Willie can only really guard PFs and Cs. He's quick enough to keep up with smaller players, but he can't guard them full time. I think this is why he needs to expand his game as a rim protector and shot blocker. Working on guarding the perimeter would be pointless as he's more of a C than PF anyways. Whiteside would be a good mentor.
WCS is a great fit defensively next to Cousins. He just needs to work on his strength.

With Skal...I don't think he's ready for the NBA yet. I liked what he showed in SL, but I think that's just what it is...SL.

This is why I wasn't so sure about all of our draft picks at the time. Drafting guys who are so far away from contributing when we don't have much time left with Cousins.
I don't think anyone expects Willie to guard smaller players full time, and even if he could, then who is the player that should be guarding them guarding. Where Willie is valuable is in switches where he ends up on a Chris Paul etc. Does that mean Paul can't get past him? Of course not, but it's a hell of lot more difficult than getting past Cousins or Koufos. I saw almost every game Willie played at Kentucky, and basically he does what is asked of him, and in my opinion, sometimes that was too much. There were games when he was asked to guard the best player on the other team, which many times left him out on the perimeter, and away from the basket. Difficult to rebound from out there.

From a coaches point of view, Willie looks capable of being all things to all people. But maybe he would be at his best if asked to play a more traditional role as a PF or a Center, as you suggest. He's more than capable of doing that. But up to now, he's been jerked around as a plug the hole player without a defined role per say. Hopefully Joerger can remedy that. At Kentucky Willie was a terrific pick and roll defender, and there's no reason that can't translate to the NBA. It's rare for a seven footer to criticized for not being able to guard the Chris Paul's and Lillards of the world fulltime, But in a way, it's a compliment to Willies abilities.

I happen to know Hassan personally a little bit due to some e-mail exchanges we've had over the past few years. He was a troubled young man when the Kings drafted him, and had to deal with some personal demons. He's come a long way since he finally got in touch with reality, but I don't know that I would recommend him as a mentor. I think Hassan has enough on his plate keeping his own career in perspective. He might disagree with me, but I doubt it.
I don't know him personally but he always came across as a nice person, if not a bit misguided at times. The course he took into becoming what many consider one of the best big men is a unique one too that I have no doubt would resonate with many players. I know your level of knowledge, especially with young players/recruits far exceeds mine so I like reading about additional insights you share. Willie seems almost opposite to me on the personality spectrum, more of a keep your head down and work your ass off kind of guy who doesn't cause waves intentionally or not. Typically when I see people pair up and mentor each other they have a lot more in common than a perceived similar skill set/build. So when I said I didn't think Whiteside would be a good mentor I should have said specifically for Willie, unless there was some extra knowledge someone had about their relationship.

I don't think anyone expects Willie to guard smaller players full time, and even if he could, then who is the player that should be guarding them guarding. Where Willie is valuable is in switches where he ends up on a Chris Paul etc. Does that mean Paul can't get past him? Of course not, but it's a hell of lot more difficult than getting past Cousins or Koufos. I saw almost every game Willie played at Kentucky, and basically he does what is asked of him, and in my opinion, sometimes that was too much. There were games when he was asked to guard the best player on the other team, which many times left him out on the perimeter, and away from the basket. Difficult to rebound from out there.

From a coaches point of view, Willie looks capable of being all things to all people. But maybe he would be at his best if asked to play a more traditional role as a PF or a Center, as you suggest. He's more than capable of doing that. But up to now, he's been jerked around as a plug the hole player without a defined role per say. Hopefully Joerger can remedy that. At Kentucky Willie was a terrific pick and roll defender, and there's no reason that can't translate to the NBA. It's rare for a seven footer to criticized for not being able to guard the Chris Paul's and Lillards of the world fulltime, But in a way, it's a compliment to Willies abilities.
I hope Willie won't be jerked too much within our lineups. I can definitely see Joerger switching things up and testing different lineups throughout the season. We have a grand of options at PF to pair next to Cousins.

I'm still hoping Willie can develop at outside shot. I think Willie will make a lot of money in this league if he can become a stretch 4. Guy already has all the tools to become an elite rim protector and defender. I don't think he needs to focus much on a post game at this point. A post game is nice to have, but I don't think it's necessary anymore.

If he can become a 3pt shooter who can finish the rim, but doesn't have a post game... I think he's going to be a top 5 PF. Especially if he continues to develop on defense as a paint protector.

Sorry, I used the wrong word. The sole word I was looking for is trainer. I was suggesting that WCS train with Whiteside to get better on defense. No offense to Hassan, but I don't know if he's at a point in life where he's able to become a mentor yet.

I think Willie should focus on becoming an elite paint protector like Whiteside.

^^ I really liked Whiteside coming out of college. I even lobbied to take him #5 not believing DeMarcus would be there. I knew he was young and recently went through a growth spurt, but didn't think it would take him so long to develop. So, as a weekend warrior GM, I was wrong in the short term on the guy, but glad to find out he did eventually turn into a worthwhile player.