Sacramento Suicide Squad

The funny part is that it seems like it was intended as hit piece on the Kings...but the end result of the video actually makes it seem like the Kings will be good, nothing to lose, bunch of bad guys getting together etc...
I don't think it was a "hit piece" but just a commentary on the type of guys we've assembled as well as the dysfunction from the owner down.

Actually, the whole "misfits" and "us against hte world" attitude from the suicide squad is probably the best identity Karl can hope to cultivate currently. We're a laughing stock, we have huge personalities that will butt heads, and much of it's well deserved. Revel in it. DMC can surely lead that. Put your head down and charge. Attack, get to the line. Scowl if you want. Butt heads? Sure, it's all a part of it. Once you put on the identity, it's easier to yell at your teammate and then say it's all a part of your team. Then it's not dysfunction; it's an identity. You're not crazy, you're dangerous.

Detest the name... and most of the modern DC comic universe (DC should stand for Dark Comics)... but you have to admit, both groups are seen similarly in the media.

So, Suicide Squad is a horrible name for a team... just coincides with the movie coming out... so what are some other movie misfits we could correlate with the Kings:

The Goonies (Goonies Never Say Die!)
Serenity (based on the Firefly TV show)
The Guardians of the Galaxy
The Dirty Dozen
The Bad News Bears

So, Suicide Squad is a horrible name for a team... just coincides with the movie coming out... so what are some other movie misfits we could correlate with the Kings:

The Dirty Dozen
The Bad News Bears
I like Bad News Bears

The part that frustrates me with this whole narrative is that the kings don't even have a big collection of toxic guys. They have cuz and rondo. That's it. The rest of the team is actually full of vets that are known as good team guys.

Detest the name... and most of the modern DC comic universe (DC should stand for Dark Comics)... but you have to admit, both groups are seen similarly in the media.
Going off topic here, but that was really a New52 problem. The post-Convergence DCU has a lot more variety in tone.

Going off topic here, but that was really a New52 problem. The post-Convergence DCU has a lot more variety in tone.
Agreed. DC used to have a much better variety of titles and characters... in my opinion, it is like the "Dark Knight" version of Batman took over the whole DC universe... Now everything is dark and serious and BORING! It's like they found an infinite supply of black ink... also, where is the Atom fighting Solomon Grundy? Or Hawkman teaming up with the Flash and Martian Manhunter to fight Captain Cold?

dude12

Hall of Famer
I liked it....entertaining....could be a good mindset for the team and organization after all the slamming they took during this summer.

The part that frustrates me with this whole narrative is that the kings don't even have a big collection of toxic guys. They have cuz and rondo. That's it. The rest of the team is actually full of vets that are known as good team guys.

Agreeed. I chuckled a bit when Bmac's face is flashed on the screen.

as a nickname, 'suicide squad' is a bit much, but fair or not, the kings are certainly a team with a whole helluvalot to prove. i'd say they might as well embrace an "us against the world" mentality; it would be good for chemistry after an offseason of extensive roster turnover. after all, nothing brings a team together quite like the shared perception that they're being underestimated or disrespected by the rest of the league. every single season, coaches scrounge up whatever corkboard material they can find in an attempt to motivate their players, and with this particular roster, there is no shortage of motivational materials available heading into the regular season. hell, at this point george karl and his staff could easily craft an epic 'Beautiful Mind'-styled wall of interconnecting grievances to post in the kings locker room...

of course, demarcus needs no such prodding; he came into the league with a mindset geared towards disproving the doubters. likewise, rajon rondo doesn't need any additional prodding; his reputation is at stake after a disastrous finish to his campaign with the mavericks. he's going to want to show everybody that he's still a quality starting PG in the nba. but a trickle-down effect of that "us against the world" mentality would seem advisable, given that we have no idea how all of these pieces will fit together yet. the kings will be in search of an identity, and this 'suicide squad' approach, while hyperbolic, seems as useful an attitude as any to adopt in helping the disparate parts of this roster band together for the common goal of winning enough games to shut up the naysayers...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

The Dirty Dozen
The Bad News Bears
Not nearly as intimidating but I think the far more accurate comparison (and one I've used a few times) is "The Island of Misfit Toys" from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

K

KingMilz

The hairs on my neck stood up watching that, what a brilliant video....every story needs a villain hopefully we can be one this year if we clinch a playoff spot. While some might find the name controversial since it's a awful horrific/touchy subject I don't really mind it.

Massive props to the person/persons that made it

I detest those Grantland guys. Not to be seen as some internet tough guy, but I would take a swing at Zach Lowe. Pretentious, know it all. All those guys are basketball snobs. I do like the cbs writer, Matt something. He's kinda funny and is a good sport about the harrasment he gets over twitter about his basketball views.

Found it annoying personally, too much of a gimmick.

I'd prefer something more angry and pissed off as well. This one seems like a group of guys who need meds.