Ray McCallum

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Quite a few about his role going forward.

Another one about his height. Here's why: he's not going to displace Collison/Sessions, and yet he does at least some of the time play with heart. If he were a legit 6'2" you could sneak him in at SG at times of the other guys were going to play like passive losers. At 6'1" or smaller you really barely can without getting hurt in other ways.

Quite a few about his role going forward.

Another one about his height. Here's why: he's not going to displace Collison/Sessions, and yet he does at least some of the time play with heart. If he were a legit 6'2" you could sneak him in at SG at times of the other guys were going to play like passive losers. At 6'1" or smaller you really barely can without getting hurt in other ways.

Ben is going to miss some time. So Sessions or the rookie will start at SG. Ray should be the 3rd or 4th guard off the bench and i like him in a sixth man role. When Ben comes back in a few games all bets are off. Ray needs to seize the opportunity. You cannot bench a winner.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't wish injury upon any player but if Ben is out then I don't mind Ray coming off the bench behind Nik for the two guard position.

If anything, McCallum has shown that he deserves minutes. I hope he continues to seize the opportunity. Oddly enough, his height has yet to be a limiting factor, and I think that's because defenses don't really have to plan for him off the bench, where I think he is of value.
I like him right now more than McLemore, in that I feel Ray's issues are physical, not mental. I feel like we have a good read on what Ray Mc can do. Ben remains an enigma. To clarify, I'm not trying to create a one vs. the other, just stating my comfort level with the players.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The fact of the matter is that Ray continues to be our only guard that can be physical on defense which is what we need.....so somehow, some way he needs to be used.

I do in fact have a question. Why the hell did we waste money on Ramon Sessions and delay the development of this young man?

Sessions is a really good bench PG, but we aren't contending with or without Sessions, pointless move that hurt our young player

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I do in fact have a question. Why the hell did we waste money on Ramon Sessions and delay the development of this young man?

Sessions is a really good bench PG, but we aren't contending with or without Sessions, pointless move that hurt our young player
We. NEED. To win games. TODAY. NOW.

If we do not win games, today, now, this season will be a watershed disaster. We could lose everything. Coach, Rudy, Cuz's confidence. Owner's patience. Ray McCallum is not worth any one of those. Sesssions is much closer to helping us on those fronts.

While I agree with you that on the surface it doesn't make sense to have signed both Sessions and Collison considering how Ray looks capable of playing on a high level giving PT. I THINK they were signed to be flipped later, we have so little assets if we can show Collison and or Sessions being productive their contracts can actually be attractive to other teams looking to shake things up. PDA'S seat can catch flame fast if things don't fall into place.

I think it is because the FO was not able to resist the opportunity of signing a decent veteran guard at a very cheap price. He is a steal at the price we are paying him for the next 2 years. Ray McCallum is hooked for the next 3 years and he is not going anywhere if the FO wants to. He can still wait a while longer and be developed slowly while we experiment on Sessions.

Aren't you glad the roster seems looking set on the PG position for the next several years?

Or the possibility of having very attractive tradable pieces in the future?

While I agree with you that on the surface it doesn't make sense to have signed both Sessions and Collison considering how Ray looks capable of playing on a high level giving PT. I THINK they were signed to be flipped later, we have so little assets if we can show Collison and or Sessions being productive their contracts can actually be attractive to other teams looking to shake things up. PDA'S seat can catch flame fast if things don't fall into place.
This is all very true

Ray is my favorite King not named Demarcus I love the way he plays the game the right way.
I'm with you. I wanted him to start at the beginning of last year over IT. Besides a few rookie/young plays, he plays smart and with tons of effort. I'm under the line of thinking that if he were to get consistent minutes with Cuz, Rudy and the rest of the main rotation, he could be a very good player.

Just as someone mentioned above though, we might not have the luxury of time to develop him in that role. BUT if we start this season slow and with a terrible record, there should be NO hesitation to give Ray some minutes over Sessions.

PG's don't grow on trees and the Kings have 3 valuable players at PG. Especially once the season begins and the injuries start. I can see Collison or Sessions being quite valuable to a team without a veteran starter or backup and has a chance for the playoffs. Ray should be ready for plenty of minutes by the trade deadline.

K

KingMilz

=

Waste money on Ramon Session are you kidding me? 2mil per season is a BARGAIN, we wasted a crap ton more on Collison (who really I don't think is even better than Sessions) that was the waste of money not Sessions smh.....But again since the front office has no vision atm what were we going to use that money on anyway? Our PG duo could have been earning under 4 million a season for the next two years.

J

jdbraver

=

Waste money on Ramon Session are you kidding me? 2mil per season is a BARGAIN, we wasted a crap ton more on Collison (who really I don't think is even better than Sessions) that was the waste of money not Sessions smh.....But again since the front office has no vision atm what were we going to use that money on anyway? Our PG duo could have been earning under 4 million a season for the next two years.
Neither is a waste. Look towards the 4 spot my friends. These two are solid players that hold down the 1 for us.

Oh and Ray is most Definetly ready for prime time. SL and crappy lakers sure.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
The fact that we are discussing 3 PG's pros and cons is great especially since one is coming off a rookie season and the other two are vets. Good problem to have for now. But my dime is for Ray to be first PG off bench to see if he can step up a bit more.

I've been meaning to say this and haven't gotten around to it; I would much prefer our guard rotation to be Collison/Stauskas/Sessions/McCallum. Even when Ben shoots the ball well he usually fails to impact the game in any other way. I used to really believe in Ben but the more I watch the more I feel that it isn't going to click for him. I hate to say it but he and Williams both play as though the game doesn't come naturally to them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've been meaning to say this and haven't gotten around to it; I would much prefer our guard rotation to be Collison/Stauskas/Sessions/McCallum. Even when Ben shoots the ball well he usually fails to impact the game in any other way. I used to really believe in Ben but the more I watch the more I feel that it isn't going to click for him. I hate to say it but he and Williams both play as though the game doesn't come naturally to them.
They're not going to bench the new Pizza Guy. Just not gonna happen...

I wish a scenario would occur that would allow McCallum to get the playing time. He has heart and he has basketball smarts. 2 things you cant teach. You either have them or you don't. Ben has neither. Id love to swap Ben for Ray and just see how things turned out. BUT this front office needs to win NOW and until Ben plays himself out of the 2 guard position, he will start. That leaves Ray at the end of the bench. Hopefully he will get some minutes and when the package deal eventually goes down, he moves up in the rotation.The kid can play ball.

Coming attraction: The Battle of Small-Ball Teams

Kings @ Suns :cool: (Friday, November 7, 2014)

Suns:

Dragic
Bledsoe
IT
(Plumlee, Morris)

Kings:

Collison
Sessions
McCallum
(Cousins, JT)

Who will win?

J

jdbraver

what i saw from mccallum last night was that he played with intensity and fire. that's been absent from darren and ramon.
Are you kidding me? The offense has a much quicker tempo and the games are much easier to watch w our new guards. They have been a breath of fresh air. Sorry but Mccallumn is being way over rated right now.

Coming attraction: The Battle of Small-Ball Teams

Kings @ Suns :cool: (Friday, November 7, 2014)

Suns:

Dragic
Bledsoe
IT
(Plumlee, Morris)

Kings:

Collison
Sessions
McCallum
(Cousins, JT)

Who will win?
The suns have an identity and meaning behind their roster. Our roster is just a random collection of meh talent by a gerbil who presents himself as genius who thinks 10 moves ahead.

I wish a scenario would occur that would allow McCallum to get the playing time. He has heart and he has basketball smarts. 2 things you cant teach. You either have them or you don't. Ben has neither. Id love to swap Ben for Ray and just see how things turned out. BUT this front office needs to win NOW and until Ben plays himself out of the 2 guard position, he will start. That leaves Ray at the end of the bench. Hopefully he will get some minutes and when the package deal eventually goes down, he moves up in the rotation.The kid can play ball.
How does Ben starting = win now mode?

Where does the assumption that Ben is more ready to play than Nik come from? 1 year under his belt? He looks like he needs more time with the reserve unit.

Are you kidding me? The offense has a much quicker tempo and the games are much easier to watch w our new guards. They have been a breath of fresh air. Sorry but Mccallumn is being way over rated right now.
i'm not even talking about performance. i'm just saying that compared to how ray mccallum expressed himself last night, darren collison and ramon sessions have been totally emotionless, sterile, dull, etc.